I think I'm about to do something REALLY dumb...

• 78 results
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll I think I'm about to do something REALLY dumb... (342 votes)

Adult you is right. 58%
Kid you is right. 42%

While shopping around online for tuques to keep my head warm during these cold months I came across this cool looking Ninja Turtle hat that was made to look like one of their heads. Sadly it was out of stock or I would have bought it. This however lead me down a rabbit hole of googling and online window shopping and I have since come to realize that the Ninja Turtles are back and a thing again. As someone who lived during the first Ninja Turtle crazy would be well aware, that means merchandising. Lots and lots of merchandising.

So this is where the bad life decisions come into play. I have since come across these fine toys and am now hovering over a buy button but can't pull the trigger. As I sit here looking at these things, the kid in me is jumping up and down screaming as he tries to come up with any kind of excuse imaginable to buy these. These are the kind of toys I would see in the isle as a kid and only dream of owning but now as an adult I can finally own these things. The problem is the adult in me can only see the $100+ I'm thinking of plopping down for a bunch of dumb toys that will sit on a shelf collecting dust for a few years until I get tired of looking at them and throw them out or give them away to charity and all the other things I could spend that $100+ on.

I think I know what you fine folks are going to say, but I figured I would throw a few more voices in to the vote to help sway me one way or the other. So what say you?

• 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By crusader8463

Damn, can't edit polls. So dumb. I also meant to add that there are smaller ones that look cool too at a more reasonable price range of $8 a pop that I'm considering, but they are all out of the Donatello one so that means I could only get three of the four. Which basically means I can't get them right? Right.

EDIT:Since I can't edit the OP I will put this here. After a nights sleep and some soul searching I ended up getting some. I decided against the ones in the OP as they were too expensive, and I actually found the below ones for $8 each and I actually prefer the look of them. Plus after seeing some reviews the large ones don't have any good points of articulation, so they would not be easily poseable.

These are the ones I ended up going with. Sadly they won't arrive until after christmas, but that's no big deal I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How about you buy them now, don't take them out of the packaging and in a week when you feel dumb for buying them you can donate them to a local toy drive or something.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iunno man, It's your cash, but we can't be responsible all the time. If you want em and might actually use em I say go for it. But then I was the guy playing with GI Joes right up to high school o_o

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How about you buy them now, don't take them out of the packaging and in a week when you feel dumb for buying them you can donate them to a local toy drive or something.

This is great idea.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I don't mean to sound like a dweeb that lacks fun, but spending $100 on Ninja turtles paraphernalia that you know has little value does not sound like a good use of your money or time.

Wouldn't you rather buy a few games? Take a girl out somewhere? Spend a night with friends? Buy something nice for someone in your family since Christmas is coming up? Put it away toward a new console or a new part for your PC? Get a nice new shirt and some pants (trousers if you're British)?

I certainly understand the desire to buy something that you wanted as a kid. That's why most of us have massive backlogs of games that we'll never get through, as opposed to only having ten or so games. But, yeah, these are pretty useless and that will dawn on you about ten minutes after you get them.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for making dumb decisions, do it!

Also I bought the Funko POP! TMNTs as well as The Beatles....

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

dude, every single time I see those krang toys, I want them so bad. Just get them. I still have a Mouser on my desk as I work on art.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

If you have the money to spare then get them. Fuck it. I'm going to buy a Sega Saturn later this year because I always wanted one and I know that they aren't great. Also I'm going to re-buy a Colecovision and have no idea how I'm going to make it work because of nostalgia.

...maybe I'm not a good role model.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Buy them and then play with them complete with making noises of kicks and punches.

Fuck adulthood.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GENIUS!

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My high school locker partner is going to play Leonardo in the upcoming movies. Shit's weird.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Follow your heart.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember those things a year ago working at walmart. Seems dumb.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463: Eh, if you want them and the $100 is no big deal to you, go for it. Even if you do decide you no longer want them down the road, will you really care about the money at that point?

No Caption Provided

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It is your money, go buy them if it makes you happy. Fuck anyone who tells you otherwise.

@flappy said:

@theveteran13 said:

GENIUS!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THAT NEO GEO CUP? I LOVE THAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Phr4nk0

Whenever the question of doing something dumb or not comes up, as a rule my answer is always "Hell yeah, do it!"

This situation hasn't changed that reply, and maybe it says more about me than I want to share but this idea doesn't even seem dumb. I nearly had every TMNT action figure released while the original series was running, I was a huge fan. My mum made me sell them because I wasn't playing with them anymore when I got older, she's an organisation freak and didn't like the space the trunk took up. She took advantage of my teenage years and want of money, I will never forgive her.

On a tangent, I was seriously considering buying every Skeleton Warrior action figure from an ebay auction I saw a couple months ago. That's a dumb idea...

@pr1mus said:

Buy them and then play with them complete with making noises of kicks and punches.

Fuck adulthood.

This man knows what's up.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Less junk. You need LESS junk in your life as you get older.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crusader8463
They also had a cool Robocop and Power Ranger ones I was tempted to get.

@bane122: @ilikepopcans: @milkman: @pr1mus: @jasonr86: @crithon: @jay_ray: @believer258: @deadpancakes: @edgekasey: @theveteran13: Just to give everyone an update, since I know you all were on the edge of your seats in anticipation, I ended up going deeper down the hole of cool toys they make these days and ended up on not getting the original stuff in my OP because $100 is just too much to spend on something that dumb. I was thinking of getting the Vinyl pop ones, but everywhere I looked was way over charging for them or was missing a few of the guys. The heat of the moment has passed and I think I'm good now.

Just to give some more back story to this whole thing, the only reason I was considering it is because of my grandmother funnily enough. When I was a kid she would always buy me a bunch of Ninja Turtle toys each year and other assorted toys as I grew up and tastes changed. Since I outgrew toys she started giving me $100 every year instead and made me promise her I would spend it on something foolish I want and not do the adult thing and use it to pay bills and what not. So when I saw the toys it reminded me of opening those as a kid and how cool it would be to buy them and open them on Christmas like I was a kid again.

But ya, adult me took over and won. I will probably go use it to buy a TV stand I have been needing to free up some space in my room and spend the rest on assorted chocolates or something else equally boring.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@bane122: @ilikepopcans: @milkman: @pr1mus: @jasonr86: @crithon: @jay_ray: @believer258: @deadpancakes: @edgekasey: @theveteran13: Just to give everyone an update, since I know you all were on the edge of your seats in anticipation, I ended up going deeper down the hole of cool toys they make these days and ended up on not getting the original stuff in my OP because $100 is just too much to spend on something that dumb. I was thinking of getting the Vinyl pop ones, but everywhere I looked was way over charging for them or was missing a few of the guys. The heat of the moment has passed and I think I'm good now.

Just to give some more back story to this whole thing, the only reason I was considering it is because of my grandmother funnily enough. When I was a kid she would always buy me a bunch of Ninja Turtle toys each year and other assorted toys as I grew up and tastes changed. Since I outgrew toys she started giving me $100 every year instead and made me promise her I would spend it on something foolish I want and not do the adult thing and use it to pay bills and what not. So when I saw the toys it reminded me of opening those as a kid and how cool it would be to buy them and open them on Christmas like I was a kid again.

But ya, adult me took over and won. I will probably go use it to buy a TV stand I have been needing to free up some space in my room and spend the rest on assorted chocolates or something else equally boring.

:'(

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very very very very nice designs

But yeah, I did a big move across the country, and I specifically found a few original TMNT figures and kept them. So goofy about them they look so charming, the mouser still looks cool if you take off the slime stickers from the 80s.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Flappy

I haven't been fortunate enough to play it, but I developed a strange love for it due to a video series on youtube. I'm glad that I managed to get that reaction from you, though!

@darthorange said:

It is your money, go buy them if it makes you happy. Fuck anyone who tells you otherwise.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THAT NEO GEO CUP? I LOVE THAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

@pandabear said:

You're a wise one, bear. However, nothing related to the Might Morphin Power Rangers can be categorized as 'junk.' Nothing.

@crusader8463: I can relate to you and your grandmother. I used to be a huge Power Rangers fanatic as a kid, so whenever my family went to Canada and stumbled upon some old toys cool shit at a garage sale, they'd bring it back for some easy affection points. Wait, what?

At the end of the day, you probably made the right choice. Kudos to ya!

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The kid me would say fuck those toys. Have you seen that Nickolodeon show? It is fucking stupid and I can't stand it. Tries too hard to be goofy and the blocky CGI just makes it look cheap. How can it compare to the real turtles?

Loading Video...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Buy it, get it out of your system and in the future when you're tempted to get something similar just look to the turtle shelf and think "oh yah"

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Snail

It really depends on your financial situation. If you can really afford this and aren't sacrificing buying something that's more essential to you by spending 100$ on toys, then go for it. If not, don't. By default, I'd say kid you is right, those toys look alright.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Collecting toys, as an adult, is as legitimate as any type of collection oriented hobby. But buying a single set of expensive toys you're not even sure you want?

You just have to say no to the kid you.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ummm I did this exact thing about a month ago...lol

but my wife was like Go for it....so even a month later I still say money well spent!

No Caption Provided

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

The kid me would say fuck those toys. Have you seen that Nickolodeon show? It is fucking stupid and I can't stand it. Tries too hard to be goofy and the blocky CGI just makes it look cheap. How can it compare to the real turtles?

Loading Video...

yea the new show is DUMB! but the new toys are pretty kickass looking....

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vuud

Save your money and buy a gun. That is waaaaaaaaaaay more fun and any plastic toy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@8bit_archer: Fuck that's awesome. Can I ask where you got that print? Edit: I am an idiot - just realised it's your desktop background.

OP, if you're interested, the new comic series by IDW is amazing and well worth your time. It takes all the best bits from the old series, it's written by the original creator and the mythology has been rebuilt from the ground up. I'm going to have to actively cut myself short here, otherwise I'll go into geekout mode.

Read it.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made much, much more expensive mistakes on childhood impulses.

I say go for it. Do it now before you're married and have kids and a mortgage and can't justify spending any money at all.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

Loading Video...

yea the new show is DUMB! but the new toys are pretty kickass looking....

Really? I actually really liked it. I didn't compare it to the old show because nostalgia will always win out over any rational thought process, but as it's own thing made for modern times I think it's pretty neat and filled with lots of twists on characters and call backs. I just think of it as an alternate universe Ninja Turtles where all the players are there, just with different stories. At least it's not like that live action movie they want to make where they are supposed to be aliens that crash land on earth and become ninjas or something.

Also, your wife sounds like the best to support you in such a decision. Seeing that picture after having a nights sleep to think it over I think I'm back on board again for buying something. Not the original ones in my OP, but the smaller more affordable ones you have in your picture. Now if I can just find them all in stock somewhere.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as a 33yo grown ass man ive been sickly tempted to buy one of these : http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Metroplex-Autobot-Scamper/dp/B00CFWWD7O (sorry im on my phone atm). no idea where i would put it but also tempted to keep it in the cubicle @ work...

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463

I am now the "proud?" owner of the four shell kickingest ninja dudes in the world. For anyone that's interested, shop around before buying as it seems like most places are over charging for these things. I got them at walmart.ca for $8 a pop but everywhere else is selling the exact same toy for $20-$25. It's mind blowing how hard it is to find an online retailer that doesn't try to rip people off.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few years ago I was in a toy store and saw that they had 25th anniversary editions of the original design. Unfortunately they didn't have all four or I probably would have bought them all.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By Justin258

@crusader8463: I didn't know there was anything sentimental in this. Now I just feel insensitive.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Krockett

@crusader8463: I think dumb was harshe I think the new show is good for what it's trying to do, and the Star Trek show the turtles watch is actually pretty hilarious. I'll watch anything turtles regardless anyways.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crusader8463

@believer258: No worries. I didn't give the whole story in my OP so you couldn't have known. :)

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If thats REALLY dumb for you, then well i dont think you know the true meaning of Dumb.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If thats REALLY dumb for you, then well I don't think you know the true meaning of Dumb.

Sorry. I'm dumb in the ways of being dumb. I need a dumb sensei to teach me the ways of dumb.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

If thats REALLY dumb for you, then well I don't think you know the true meaning of Dumb.

Sorry. I'm dumb in the ways of being dumb. I need a dumb sensei to teach me the ways of dumb.

Next time you're running late for a date, instead of taking a shower, spray febreeze down your pants.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Those ones pictured don't look as cool as the old ones were but ya, if you want to why not? I like getting toys like that sometimes just as show pieces. Usually, though, I look for ones that look cool. Like McFarlanes toy line was always good for that- he made basically art in toy form. Now I just need a place to show them off, but that will come eventually.

Anyways.... i'm rambling now so i'm out.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 said:

@clonedzero said:

Next time you're running late for a date, instead of taking a shower, spray febreeze down your pants.

I have done that before. It wasn't for a date, but I had to go to a store to buy some stuff and didn't feel like taking a shower and just sprayed myself down with it. So I guess I'm dumber than I thought. Yay?!?!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This duder is onto something. If you're going to move ever, having less stuff to begin with is awesome. I've moved apartments three times in the last six years and have gotten rid of stuff every time. Most of it because "why do I even have this?"

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Toques.

BatmanBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think you just need to ask yourself what kind of "adult" you are.... I mean there are other things you probably need to .... OH WTH I LIKE TOYS!!!!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463: These aren't the NInja Turtles you remember also one of them is voiced by Jesse McCartney. Trust me dude if you were a fan of the original tv series and movie like me you want to look for the classic figurine. I think it was comic vine were I saw this but a few years ago they were selling like 20th anniversary edition of the original toys you should go try find those.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I grew up with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, im 33 now. Few months back I saw the new figures on sale at walmart and had to buy all 4. I started to buy just one, but realized that he would get lonely without his brothers. In line paying my girlfriend totally tried to embarrass me my by telling the cashier that they were for me. I didnt care. Proud TMNT fan.

Now Im trying to convince my 4 year old niece (no nephews yet) that they are awesome and she should play with them. I finally got her the April figure and she is totally on bored. Cowabunga

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Kid you is right. The second I saw Turtles Lego I needed to have it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Just buy them dude.

What's the point of this short pathetic life if we aren't surrounded by the things and people we love. Fuck 100 dollars.