I think Neogaf is burning down

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BosSin

Don't see this posted here after a search, but everyone is going apeshit over there after sexual harassment allegations were made against the site owner (Tyler Malka aka EviLore). There has been an exodus of site moderators as well. I'm not privy to all the details so feel free to post things you know about it here.

Also, this is my first thread so I apologize if I've somehow fucked up in creating it.

MOD EDIT:

Welcome, GAF refugees!

Be sure to quickly scan our forum rules as we have some that are not common practice elsewhere on the internet. In general though if you stick to our golden rule ("Don't be a jerk") then you should be fine.

If anyone has any questions then you can PM the mod team using the link at the right side of the main forums page, or you can click here. If you see anyone behaving inappropriately or breaking our rules then you can Flag their comment and the first available mod will deal with it ASAP.

GLHB

SansJason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SansJason

This is seriously a big deal and what really gets me is that, apparently, the first incident of Evilore's blatant sexual harassment was revealed back in 2012, but nobody in the press bothered to mention it. One of the first Google results for his name is a fawning interview with him at Kotaku from 2015.

Considering how much games media, including Giant Bomb, has propped up NeoGAF over the years, it's pretty fucking disgusting that I keep getting led to KotakuInAction and 4chan off-shoots trying to find information about this.

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I won't be frequenting the website anymore. This is the 2012 incident that you speak of: https://imgur.com/a/eBPYm

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

It sure looks like it. I'm on some GAF related discords and they are getting absolutely flooded with join requests.

I don't see Neogaf surviving this, at least not with EviLore there. Unfortunately for Gaffers I believe the allegations likely have merit. Hopefully the good aspects of that community can be re-established elsewhere. I liked reading the community threads.

KenzinFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long-time GAF user here. It’s one of the sites I check daily, both for gaming and off-topic.

So, uh, can I crash here at the GB forums for a while? Or forever? Been a premium member for a few years but never actually posted here.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this gets mentioned on the bombcast/beastcast next week. I think it's at least as relevant to video game news as some of the PewDiePie stuff considering the number of stories that have been sourced from gaf over the years.

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah as a long time gaf user I am actually sad to see it end like this. Guess I'll be using the GB forums more often.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slag
BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

So this is where I start my new life. Time to live the Giant Bomb dream, one cheesy gordita crunch at a time.

SansJason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braves01: Unless people start pushing the issue, I doubt they talk about this. I could be wrong, but I believe they never commented on Nick Robinson, right?

MilShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MilShap

Might as well make my first post here to say that it's sad to see GAF go like this, hope more info comes out.

KenzinFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Giant Bomb podcasts are my bi-weekly medicine.

Time to make these forums my...uh, some other medical analogy.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I really liked the community threads on neogaf. Sad to see it burn down like this but it's probably for the best.

outunderstars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent a decade on gaf, with almost 50,000 posts. Sad to leave it but I can't be part of it anymore. Guess this is my new home. :)

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how almost every mention of it I see on Twitter when I searched #NeoGAF is a bunch of a shitty Gamergate dudes pounding their chests and claiming responsibility. The internet is sure something else.

As far as this is concerned, I really hope that this keeps happening. It's a shame that it comes at the cost of a site that a lot of totally fine people enjoyed using, but hopefully these consequences further serve to teach people to not be fucking monsters. This EvilLore guy seems like a real piece of shit.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man, what a bummer. I just started lurking on GAF last month, and the threads I was following over there for specific games have been outstanding.

loungemonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe we will see an uptick in these forums.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not educated to the matter, but I browsed NeoGAF a whole lot when TLG came out and I also remember that there was the 2012 incident. Is this a new allegation or is this related to the one in 2012?

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BosSin

@dray2k: New allegations apparently. But again, it's hard to be sure with the crazy state the site is in right now.

ArtTeitlebaum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't necessarily mean the end of that community. If Malka steps down and sells the board to some respectable new owner, it's possible that there's still a future. Especially OT still has some nice members left.

But tough times are ahead, that's for sure.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hayt

This was an annoying way to find out my Pillars of Eternity portrait is this dudes face. My wizard does not endorse this.

Bloody kickstarter backer bonuses.

BerserkingGuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BerserkingGuts

Guess I might as well hang out here then.

wenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been on some permutation of gaf since 2001, this has been a terribly exciting day.

KenzinFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAF community/[TOPIC]GAF was great for topics on specific subjects, without the upvoting and other parts of Reddit. I was subscribed to some threads for specific cartoons and games, and having only a few regular posters in those threads was nice for building a small community about something. The threads were in-depth, detailed, and insanely nerdy - just how I like it.

The site also felt like a safe haven against the shittier aspects of gaming culture like Gamergate. Key word “felt,” because now its owner has been exposed as a different kind of piece of shit.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Wow, you just really bummed me out with that information.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't visit GAF unless news breaks there so I'm completely out of the loop. Does anyone know what the allegations are?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

It's a mass exodus to Discord communities at this point. Pretty damn hectic.

Although, for me personally it's not a matter of what he did, but why is NOW the breaking point for a lot of mods/admins. Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrfluke

End of an era

The bits and pieces ive seen of the evil lore story really make this guy seem terrible and a elitist

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

This is really sad and shocking news. While I'm not a NeoGaf member, I have browsed the site to look at countless different forums gaming or off-topic related. Since it seems like Evilore is a scumbag, can't say I'll go there anymore unless as @artteitlebaum mentioned, Evilore sells NeoGaf to a new owner that has a respectable and not shady background.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

NeoGaf refugee here.

Loading Video...

SansJason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SansJason

@conmulligan: This is the new allegation: https://imgur.com/r/Drama/FJrjx

A woman claims that he followed her into their hotel room shower, while she was drunk.

The 2012 incident is linked above by @bossin: https://imgur.com/a/eBPYm. Someone draws attention to him groping a woman in a bar, he makes a bunch of fatuous excuses and bans anyone discussing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This has definitely been a crazy story to try and follow considering the lack of coverage on it so far.

Mupod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My last post on the GB forums was in the Dark Souls 1 announcement thread...but yeah, for now looks like everyone has been flocking to Discord.

Atmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, eff that place. This is inexcusable behavior. I guess I'm here now!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

started lurking the SFV/MvCI/FGC threads a couple months back

You and me both.

On the plus side, this thread is already more active than every other thread on here, so maybe the influx of people will breathe some life into the forums.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hassun

At this point it certainly seems like it will be either evilore goes or neoGAF goes. Another Giant Bomb E3 couch guest that turned out to be a huge bummer...

It will be interesting to read/hear about what Patrick and Brad have to say, as people who came from the Gaming Age forums.

I've been a member and moderator of message boards with severe internal struggles in the past. It wasn't pretty. I'm happy the GB forums can provide a well-moderated but open discussion ground for this kind of thing. Seeing all threads get wiped in situations like this is always a bad look.

Toparaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the site is down. The place was my internet home for four years, and was a revelation to me back in 2013 (wow, gamers who can speak coherently and reasonably!). But in the past year or so, I was mostly just using it as a news aggregator.

Guess it's Giant Bomb the whole way down now. Maybe I'll subscribe to some subreddits as well, and use Twitter more. It's going to be weird though. NeoGAF was my place for games, pop culture, current events, politics, etc.

@dray2k said:

I'm not educated to the matter, but I browsed NeoGAF a whole lot when TLG came out and I also remember that there was the 2012 incident. Is this a new allegation or is this related to the one in 2012?

Someone alleged on Facebook that Evilore walked in naked on her taking a shower. No response from Evilore yet.

KenzinFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep waiting for the site to go back up to download my avatar and see where some of the people in the threads I subscribed to are headed. Feels like I’m trying to run back into a collapsing house to save some things.

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sansjason: Oh shit, I remember some dude claiming to be her brother creating a thread about this on NeoGaf. It turned out to be Tyler!?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure there's any mods left there. 11 supposedly have quit. Well known posters like jawmuncher are gone. I wonder if Neogaf will survive the weekend

And it looks like the site itself may have just been taken down. Getting 503 errors messages now

Sydle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After learning about Tyler's incidents over the years I am done with GAF. Had I known that he leaked nude pics of someone's girlfriend years ago I would have left back then.

SansJason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bossin: I don't know. All I have are these receipts from extremely gross sources. I don't follow NeoGAF otherwise because (haha) they fucking banned me for shit-talking Boogie while he was supporting GamerGate.

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BosSin

@slag: it's very intermittent. The 503s come and go, it might be getting hit with a huge amount of traffic

edit: ok now it seems to just go immediately to the 503 page, but this did happen once before and they brought it back. I don't know...

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm not really familiar with Neogaf's structure, but if this is one admin amongst a group of admins, how hard is it to just kick him out the group? Why are other admins stepping up instead? Is he a bigger deal than they are? Oh derp, just read that he's the site owner.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sad part from the perspective of a member of this site is Giant Bomb nearly never speaks about this stuff.

The Beast Cast sometimes touches on it.

Atmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: He is the owner. Basically making millions (or at least enough to live comfortably) off the forums.

DrArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another gaf refugee here. Seems like the site's well and truly dead right now, so maybe GB can be my new home?

God, this sucks so much. Why can't people not be scumbags?

BosSin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On another note, why is this thread deemed to be off-topic instead of a general discussion? Just so I'm a little clearer on forum rules.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I glance at their OT threads occasionally, which are pretty well done and have some nice discussion of specific games/good way to get hyped or get an opinion about something.