If you could move to any country, where would you move?

• 194 results
Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I ended up moving to Switzerland.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in a suburb of Chicago and honestly I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. OK maybe if I had the chance to be one of the first people to live on a Moon or Mars colony I'd do it but let's be real that isn't going to happen.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Iceland probably.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By reisz

Norway, in a heartbeat.

kadaju86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lived one year in the US back in '99-'00 during middle school, and have now lived mainly in Japan since 2007.... Had you asked me 2 or 3 years ago I would have definitely said I would want to live in Japan, but after having spent as much time as I have here I am more interested in going back to my native Norway really.

Would maybe see the US as somewhere I'd want to live (at least for a shorter period) though, most likely one of the northern states as I like the cold :P (My one year back in middle school was in Florida)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

East Asia, 'cause that place is cool. England is boring, East Asia has more danger living and you eat food with chopsticks. Also the girls are cute.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. I'd like to think I could get by in most western countries with some effort. Could I move to Switzerland for the summer and maybe Northern California or Oregon in winter?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By Addfwyn

I live in Japan now, and I love it, but I have been considering doing my PhD. If I did that, it would be in South Korea.

VictorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@victork said:

I currently live in Sweden, born and raised. I like it here a lot, and i do not plan to move outside of this country in the foreseeable future. But if i were to hypothetically randomly get a nice job in either perhaps Dublin or Milwakuee for example, I would probably move there. Imagine working as a postman over there or perhaps as a hairdresser? Good times.

What is your current occupation? Would you like to try and do a similar kind of work abroad in some other country? Or perhaps something completely different? Please tell!

I work in retail and have for some time, so that is what i am best at. Selling and being a nice co-worker. I like, yes, But i could definetly try something different, not entierly sure what however. Do you perhaps have a suggestion?

What really? Milwaukee? That's a pretty specific yet random city to want to move to. Do you have a fascination with cheese and the Packers by any chance?

I would rather go to Milwaukee than to Los Angeles or New York City. It would be more interesting to visit a city that one does not have been exposed too as much in films, tv and such. I really do not have any prior knowledge about Milwaukee. I do however think it has the coolest sounding name of any city in the US. I enjoy to say it´s name with my mouth.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@victork said:

@i_stay_puft said:

@victork said:

I currently live in Sweden, born and raised. I like it here a lot, and i do not plan to move outside of this country in the foreseeable future. But if i were to hypothetically randomly get a nice job in either perhaps Dublin or Milwakuee for example, I would probably move there. Imagine working as a postman over there or perhaps as a hairdresser? Good times.

What is your current occupation? Would you like to try and do a similar kind of work abroad in some other country? Or perhaps something completely different? Please tell!

I work in retail and have for some time, so that is what i am best at. Selling and being a nice co-worker. I like, yes, But i could definetly try something different, not entierly sure what however. Do you perhaps have a suggestion?

What really? Milwaukee? That's a pretty specific yet random city to want to move to. Do you have a fascination with cheese and the Packers by any chance?

I would rather go to Milwaukee than to Los Angeles or New York City. It would be more interesting to visit a city that one does not have been exposed too as much in films, tv and such. I really do not have any prior knowledge about Milwaukee. I do however think it has the coolest sounding name of any city in the US. I enjoy to say it´s name with my mouth.

Haha touche' dude. Touche'.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Vatican City. No taxes, not too remote, fairly modern (depending on what you think of the Catholic Church). Think about it.

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I live in Ireland, i've another 6 months of teacher training to do then i think i'll be off to England. From there my plan is to do 2 years teaching and then apply to further afield. Europe, Africa,America and Asia wherever will take me really. Having done quite a bit of travelling combining a great job with a hobby means teaching is ideal for me

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canada.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Montenegro I guess? Seems like that would work out alright.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By deadmanforking

Finland. I love the cold, plus I have quite a few close friends who live there.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canada, it's nice over there, plus i have family there.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm not sure that I would want to leave the U.S. permanently, though I'd love to try a few places. Basically I would go anywhere that they spoke English, and also Japan.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#118  Edited By Atlas

I'm a pale white blonde guy, so I'd fit in very well in any of the Nordic countries or Germany. Yeah, Germany is probably my answer to this question. I feel strangely un-British saying that, but it's the truth - I went to Berlin last year and had an absolutely fantastic time, and there are plenty of other German cities that would be fun to live in.

I'd previously thought that I'd like to live in the United States at some point, but I just don't feel like I could deal with the fucked up politics and social issues. At least if I lived in Canada, I could hop on a plane to Indianapolis every now and then to see my Colts play. So Canada is my second choice.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Khronikos

New Zealand

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#120  Edited By Dasacant2

@bybeach said:

I'm English speaking, so Australia or perhaps New Zealand. That would be more exotic and yet still comprehensible.

It seems weird to me someone would describe New Zealand as exotic. I guess it all depends on where you come from.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm Canadian. I'd probably move to a Western European country. Maybe France or Germany. Not the UK, because they are too in love with the imperial monarchic right to command the peasants. It would be nice to move somewhere that shares the language, but I find the UK increasingly fascistic and would not want to suffer it firsthand. Not that I'm aware of things being much better in France or Germany. Germany sounds somewhat appealing because of its economic strength. The Nordic countries seem alright, so does the Czech Republic. I think Prague is beautiful. I don't want to live anywhere that does not receive snow. South Europe is probably off the table unless it's somewhere more mainland like Romania or Hungary. Not Australia either, they're too much like the UK. It's actually amazing that Canada isn't more like the UK, I suppose that's the influence of the Americans. We're pretty protective of our privacy, and it seems like UK and Australian citizens are far less so.

China might be where I end up having to move, but that's just economics. China just cares a little too much about its national interests and not enough about the lives and happiness of its citizens for my taste. I like competition and the free market to an extent, but I just care about personal liberty more. There's also that I would be a visible minority, and I'm aware that minorities undergo discrimination even in countries that make a big deal of advocating pluralism and multiculturalism; I can't imagine that things will somehow be better for me in a less pluralistic, less permissive collectivist culture.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably wouldn't move. Toronto is like the production capital of North America. We probably shoot as much as LA, and there's always work.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japan for sure. I speak Japanese and have lots of Japanese friends and I love the culture(for the most part, nothing's perfect)

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By NTM

@stonyman65 said:

@ntm: You live in WA? What's it like up there? I'm thinking about moving either to Washington or Oregon but I have absolutely no reference what it would be like (born and raised on the east coast and never left).

Whats the weather like? Things to do? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The weather right now, it's on and off showers (though not raining right now with pretty clear skies) and 40 degrees, that's usually what you get here in WA for Fall. In Winter, it's cold, I would say often times with snow, but not always. During spring, it's a mix of rain and sun; some days rainy, some days warm, and in summer, it's almost always around 80 humid degrees, perhaps a little more or a little less. People say it rains too much; I don't know how to rightfully compare it to other places on a personal level, but it's really not year around, and it's not dreadful; at least to me.

To me, it's more relaxing since it often sprinkles as compared to a downpour (though it can do that too). I don't know, it depends on what you'd like to do. I've been all throughout the western part of Oregon, and I can tell you, while it's probably a fine choice for living, there is more to do in WA if we simply compare the two main cities; Seattle and Portland. I can tell you some stuff, but you can honestly just look on Google by typing things to do in Seattle, or I guess Washington in general. I just checked and it has more than I could probably suggest.

If weather is a big concern to you, just know that Oregon's about the same. Oh, and there's also another smaller than Seattle, but bigger than the rest city called Bellevue. It's the second biggest city when referring to tall buildings at least, and perhaps even nicer than Seattle. It's where Valve and quite a few other game companies are, and it's closer to where I live now. If you're referring to your main suburbs around WA, most of them are perfectly suitable for what you need to live with stores (of all kinds), banks, restaurants, theaters; you name it. That is perhaps saying the obvious, but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I'm sure Oregon has all of this as well, though the coast from what I remember isn't like that.

The nice thing is that the air is nice and clean, so there's that. Oh, and if you're into coffee, WA has a lot of that. It'd be easier to help if you had some idea as to where you may come to in WA; have any idea, or you were just thinking about moving here? If you want or need me to elaborate on anything, I'll be OK with that. There are others on here that live here as well from what I've seen and they'll probably respond to you, but if not, I'll try and get back to you. Here's something to help as well; I believe it's someone's personal blog, but it also talks about some aspects I didn't mention, though I'm not quite sure what they mean about the letter A.

http://explorewashingtonstate.com/moving-to-washington-state/

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#125  Edited By nutta27

Earlier this year I spent just short of a month in New Zealand. I loved it and hope to go back some time in my life. Its just a hell of a big trip. I currently live in and was born and bread in England.

New Zealand is a beautiful country. I went in July so it was their winter and the snow capped mountains and lakes were breath taking. Absolutely beautiful. So yeah if I had the chance I would move to New Zealand in a heartbeat.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lived in New Zealand for awhile in highschool. That country is god damn gorgeous, but I don't know if I'd want to move there permanently. I find Japanese culture fascinating and I actually think that would be a totally interesting place to live... BUT I'm not Japanese, and I've got no interest in pretending to be.

I'd actually probably end up staying in the states- though ideally I'd move out of Michigan to someplace... warmer. Or vastly colder. California or Colorado probably.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I live in Canada now and I can't see moving anywhere else, but if I had to, it would be a country that spoke English, wasn't too hot, and wasn't prone to natural disasters or plagued by war.

North eastern US probably, maybe Iceland or somewhere in the U.K.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently in Canada. I get sick of the winters a little more every year. Been to Hawaii and love it there, going back next year for a few weeks....hope to retire there...some day a long time from now! lol

I would also love to live in Japan, i find the culture fascinating and would love to immerse myself in it, although I think that ship has passed it would have been great to do when I was younger to try and learn the language.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjk0104 said:

I feel like the only Australian who's sick of the weather here, I'd probably move to Norway, or maybe the Nederlands. Actually, if there was somehow an architectural programming position available in Antarctica, that'd be my first choice, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Also, don't come here people, this country sucks. I love it, but it sucks. Except our cricket team at the moment, eat it pommies!

As a Canadian who recently moved to Melbourne, the weather is cool, I think. But, I like rain, so I'm weird.

Goddamn, cricket is so fucking boring, though. I feel like it's one of those sports you have to had grown up with to appreciate it. Whereas Footy I found an appreciation for immediately. Go Tiges!

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lived in New Zealand for awhile in highschool.

Highschool there was really weird. Maybe it was just that school but having to sing Celine Dion songs in assembly, having this crazy South African teacher who kept us during lunch because a student could not understand her accent and having maori students openly idolize Hitler just makes it all seem very odd in retrospect.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus said:

Highschool there was really weird. Maybe it was just that school but having to sing Celine Dion songs in assembly, having this crazy South African teacher who kept us during lunch because a student could not understand her accent and having maori students openly idolize Hitler just makes it all seem very odd in retrospect.

That wasn't my experience, I went to an all guys school called Tauranga Boys' College, complete with uniforms and everything. I actually really liked the structure of it all and made some good friends, the only thing that bugged me was their silly Haka dance they did at assemblies. I'd step the side and not participate for that, if a teacher asked me about it, my American accent would get me out of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mjk0104 said:

I feel like the only Australian who's sick of the weather here, I'd probably move to Norway, or maybe the Nederlands. Actually, if there was somehow an architectural programming position available in Antarctica, that'd be my first choice, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Also, don't come here people, this country sucks. I love it, but it sucks. Except our cricket team at the moment, eat it pommies!

As a Canadian who recently moved to Melbourne, the weather is cool, I think. But, I like rain, so I'm weird.

Goddamn, cricket is so fucking boring, though. I feel like it's one of those sports you have to had grown up with to appreciate it. Whereas Footy I found an appreciation for immediately. Go Tiges!

Watch league rugby because it's just roidy magoos running full steam into each other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus said:

and having maori students openly idolize Hitler just makes it all seem very odd in retrospect.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Westeros

on second thought, like hell i'd like to move there. really nowhere seems pleasant in ASOIAF, except maybe Dorne or Highgarden. and i guess i just proved Westeros is more of a continent, but w/e...

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dasacant2 said:

@toowalrus said:

That wasn't my experience, I went to an all guys school called Tauranga Boys' College, complete with uniforms and everything. I actually really liked the structure of it all and made some good friends, the only thing that bugged me was their silly Haka dance they did at assemblies. I'd step the side and not participate for that, if a teacher asked me about it, my American accent would get me out of it.

I went to Whakatane Highschool it actually wasn't far from Touranga if I remember correctly. If you think the Haka at assemblies was bad in primary school we were required to compete in the delamere cup a maori singing/dancing completion that we spent more time on than math or english studies. Being required to go on stage in the whole native maori garb with face-paint was kind of weird too now that I think of it. I will say that isn't really representitive of most primary schools in New Zealand though.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dasacant2 said:

@toowalrus said:

and having maori students openly idolize Hitler just makes it all seem very odd in retrospect.

Yeah it was weird I was once told by a group of students, "Hitler was a great man he wanted to make the perfect people" I don't know if they realized they were not part of his plan. Also a lot of them loved using the word seig as in seig hail as basicly saying hello. It really annoyed me being Maori myself.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read the title of this thread and thought "It would be nice to move to Sweden." Then I read the first post and got a good chuckle. Sweden seems nice.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would move to Canada it seems decent enough.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Dimi3je
Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Tom_omb

Born and raised in Canada. If I was to move to the US I'd probably stick to the west coast, but no further South then San Francisco, because I hate the heat. Even Vancouver summers knock me out and I've half jokingly thought I'd like to get a place in New Zealand to hide from Northern summer.

I've never been to New York, but I have a romantic idea of that city (probably from watching too much Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles as a kid) and might want to live there. Although movies have also told me that city will chew me up and spit me out.

The UK is another place I've never been, but I like the idea of living there. Maybe I could live in Scotland would get me in touch with my ancestral roots or London to be where things are happening. I've kind of been obsessed with the idea of living in a castle lately. Are there castles over there retrofitted into affordable apartments? If not castles, there must be super old buildings with secret passages and stuff, right?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the years there have been plenty of places outside of Sweden that I've wanted to move to. For various reasons I've wanted to go live in Japan, China and USA. I think realistically, US might be the best options considering my interests currently, except perhaps for internet speeds and the cost to get decent internet. Or really thin hollow walls. Or wall to wall carpeting. Or walking indoors with shoes. But you got great shitty food and Sweden never saw the light of Pepsi Blue or Sprite Remix.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By chrissedoff

I would live in Sweden except I don't like the idea of extremely long days and nights. I'd live in Australia instead just because Sweden is too far north for me.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#144  Edited By bemusedchunk

i would move to us and a

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By benspyda

South island of New Zealand would be a beautiful place to live. Maybe a bit too cold for my liking.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cobrastan

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Crysack

@mjk0104 said:

Just wait, Melbourne's weather is schizophrenic as hell. It's been pretty cool here lately but it won't be long until we get several days of 40+ weather.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Sydney, but this is what I generally understand to be Melbourne weather:

50 weeks of the year - 17 seasons every day

The 2 weeks of the Australian Open tennis Grand Slam - Eight million degrees

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I it would be either Japan or Norway .... no were near a latino or latin related country in my life (so the US , Canada , all of south , central america , France , Spain and Italy are out of the question)

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

Canada, definitely. I went there for the first time earlier this year and I about fell in love with the place. Toronto was cool because it felt familiar. Montreal was cool because felt foreign. I think if I had to settle in Canada, it'd be in one of those two places.

I'm American, by the way.