Is Watchmen any good?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

I heard it was good(the comic) from host of ELR Scott Johnson,and i've been wondering what is so good about the watchmen comic?Is it worth reading it before i go see the movie or does it matter?Thanks all:)

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By chililili

Before, read it before, the movie might be decent (I think so) But the comic is one of the best written and entertaining pieces of literature.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Well Time magazine said it was 1 of the 100 greatest novels ever written.  Novels.  Not graphic novels.

I've read it twice now and it is really quite good.  It is a long read even for a comic and at times does have parts that are just pure text.  It really is a good story though and does deserve atleast a read once.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Guardian

YES YES YES. It's awesome. Its not really a comic, its a graphic novel; fantastic writing. 

Everyone should read it. I recommend buying the collection being sold right now. The movie is suppose to be very true to the book, so I expect good things. 
Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By Hector

Is it? It's freakin' awesome! Try to pick up the graphic novel before watching the movie though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

I saw a kid come to the Dawn of War II lock-in here at work on Friday with a Watchmen hoodie.

-_-

A fucking...
...Watchmen...
...hoodie.
It was at Hot Topic...
...of fucking course.

I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking afraid of this.

Get ready for The Comedian to become the new Joker.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ImpendingFoil

I wonder if anyone will be out at the bars next Halloween with blue junk blowing in the wind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

jakob187 said:
"Get ready for The Comedian to become the new Joker."
I wonder if they'll play up Rorschach's extremely right wing and moral absolute and objectivist opinions or just neuter him into a Batman tough guy.

As for if Watchmen is any good?
Why are you even asking that question when a bajillion people have proclaimed it on of the best stories ever presented as a comic.
Read it before you watch the movie so you can complain more about it on the internet when the movie comes out :P
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilTwin
TeflonBilly said:
"jakob187 said:
"Get ready for The Comedian to become the new Joker."
I wonder if they'll play up Rorschach's extremely right wing and moral absolute and objectivist opinions or just neuter him into a Batman tough guy.
"
They have to or else, well, you know. 
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan
jakob187 said:
"I saw a kid come to the Dawn of War II lock-in here at work on Friday with a Watchmen hoodie.

-_-

A fucking...
...Watchmen...
...hoodie.
It was at Hot Topic...
...of fucking course.

"
Dude I know.  I see all these people at school talking about Watchmen who don't even know it is a graphic novel!
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By breadfan

Oh and to actually answer the question of this topic.  YES READ WATCHMEN!  It will probably one of the greatest things you will ever read.  I am sure plenty of places are carrying the trade paperback by now (collection of the issues in a single book) and iTunes has an animated version of the comic with voice over work and music that is amazing.  I picked it up thinking it was a lame attempt to cash in on the movie, but it is very well done.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince

I got the book a couple of days ago, and so far it's all right. I don't see why it's warranted the title of greatest graphic novel yet, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by the end.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By breadfan
LiquidPrince said:
"I got the book a couple of days ago, and so far it's all right. I don't see why it's warranted the title of greatest graphic novel yet, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised by the end.
"
the end is wear Watchmen shines
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Lies

Read it before you see the movie for certain. You'll enjoy it if you like a good story, and the quality of the movie is looking a bit uncertain at this point.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
Lies said:
"Read it before you see the movie for certain. You'll enjoy it if you like a good story, and the quality of the movie is looking a bit uncertain at this point.
"
Dude the movie is basically frame by frame from the comic... It's 205 minutes in run time...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike
LiquidPrince said:
"Lies said:
"Read it before you see the movie for certain. You'll enjoy it if you like a good story, and the quality of the movie is looking a bit uncertain at this point.
"
Dude the movie is basically frame by frame from the comic... It's 205 minutes in run time...

"
Wait...I thought you just started reading the GN?  There is no way a two or even three hour movie can do justice to this book. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince
MB said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Lies said:
"

"
Wait...I thought you just started reading the GN?  There is no way a two or even three hour movie can do justice to this book. 
"
I'm four chapters in. From what I've seen from the trailers, and what I've heard though, it's pretty damn close. I mean the scene with the Comedian being thrown out the window is almost exact, even in the composition of the frame.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilTwin
MB said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Lies said:
"

"
"
Well, taking out Tales of the Black Freighter is a good start.  I think it's important to the story, but not really essential.  Anyways, I'm with LiquidPrince, the movie looks pretty faithful to me so far. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
EvilTwin said:
"MB said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Lies said:
"

"
"
Well, taking out Tales of the Black Freighter is a good start.  I think it's important to the story, but not really essential.  Anyways, I'm with LiquidPrince, the movie looks pretty faithful to me so far. 
"
The tales of the Black Freighter isn't in the theatrical cut, but it is in the ULTIMATE cut. So far Watchmen has three cuts:

Theatrical Cut: 156 minutes
Directors Cut: 190 minutes
Ultimate Cut: 205 minutes (this one includes the fill tales of the Black Freighter sub story)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince, stop reading ABOUT Watchmen and just read the comic itself.
You don't wanna get any accidental spoilers.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Guardian
LiquidPrince said:
"EvilTwin said:

Theatrical Cut: 156 minutes
Directors Cut: 190 minutes
Ultimate Cut: 205 minutes (this one includes the fill tales of the Black Freighter sub story)

"

205 minuets sounds godly. 
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By weltal

Absolutely it's good. Go out and get the damn thing. It's not an expensive purchase, hell you could probably sit around the book store for a while reading it before you purchased it if you still can't decide. It'll make a fantastic prelude to the film though you could probably still read it after you've seen the film if you wanna go that route.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By adam_grif

I HAVEN'T READ A SINGLE POST IN THIS THREAD, BUT YES, WATCHMEN IS GOOD. IN FACT, IT'S ONE OF THE BEST PIECES OF LITERATURE OF THE 20TH CENTURY, AND YOU SHOULD FEEL ASHAMED FOR NOT OWNING A COPY.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

jakob187 said:
Get ready for The Comedian to become the new Joker."
You think?  I'm putting money on more Rorschach costumes this Halloween. 
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Pibo47
LiquidPrince said:
"Lies said:
"

"
Holy crap! 205min!!! YES!!! I have been a watchmen fan....so god damn long...CANNOT WAIT! And yes watchmen is friggin awesome!
vaultboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vaultboy
jakob187 said:
"I saw a kid come to the Dawn of War II lock-in here at work on Friday with a Watchmen hoodie.

-_-

A fucking...
...Watchmen...
...hoodie.
It was at Hot Topic...
...of fucking course."
Was it the smiley face with blood?  I'd pick one of those up.

Still, I'd really prefer to find a Watchmen flexfit hat.  Especially if it was simple, black, with the only thing on it being the smiley face.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
"A fucking...
...Watchmen...
...hoodie.
It was at Hot Topic...
...of fucking course."
I bet Alan Moore is elated about that
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust
The Watchman comic, along side Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, set the standard for comics as we understand them today. In essence, the line between the "bronze-age" of comics ended with their release, and the "modern-age" began.

Bronze Age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronze_Age_of_Comic_Books
Modern Age: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Age_of_Comic_Books

It's been ages since I've read the book, though. (Interestingly enough, I gave a copy to my nephew this past Christmas)  But, I do remember that, at the time, I preferred Alan Moore's V for Vendetta books.  I don't believe the V movie carried the same sense of grim oppression or desperation that the books did. I'm not sure if the Watchman movie will fall short in that sense, as well.
GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GioVANNI

Almost any comic book fan would tell you it's good.

It's definitely pretty awesome though.

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By Captainlunchbox

Get it any way you can. If you like reading, if you have a soul, you will enjoy this.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aurelito

Except two things, the first one is the comic within the novel (Pirates or something, I never have read it) and the next one is some philosophical shit about time , rest of the comic is brilliant and worthy to reading.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead
jakob187 said:

-_-

A fucking...
...Watchmen...
...hoodie.
It was at Hot Topic...
...of fucking course.

"
This is what i'm worried about. While I wasn't too swayed on The Joker anyway, the fact he had such a sellable gimmick made him prone to being the icon to dickheads worldwide and I can see Rorschach going the same way with 'And I will whisper no' or something being the new 'Why so serious?' However on a more positive note, I read a leaked review which said that if you hadn't read the book and didn't really know what was going on, you wouldn't really enjoy the movie so I hope that deters most bandwagon jumpers.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Meh, probably a good idea to read it before seeing the movie, with IGN gave five stars by the way, if anyone didn't already know.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By breadfan
HandsomeDead said:
However on a more positive note, I read a leaked review which said that if you hadn't read the book and didn't really know what was going on, you wouldn't really enjoy the movie so I hope that deters most bandwagon jumpers.
I kind of agree with you there about the people who have not read the graphic novel, but I want Watchmen to be a hit so it draws more people into the actual story and characters.  However that is where it may become Dark Knight II where about two weeks after the movie is released you will have all these people pretending they have known Watchmen forever, just as half the world became Batman fans over night.  Then again Batman is a widely loved character whether you have read the comics or not (kids shows, past movies, etc)  I just want the movie to be a success and not butcher the comic.
LuchaDeerFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LuchaDeerFear

It's hella good. Read it!

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wolverine

I hear a lot of great things about it.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

One of the characters from Watchmen looks like Q from Street Fighter 3.

No Caption Provided
Q
Q
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bulldog19892