Mailing stuff question

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

To anyone who has ever tried/actually shipped something liquid through airmail: Does the bottle still do that lovely exploding/leaking thing if its never been opened? I'm going to be mailing some BBQ sauce to a friend in Hawaii and it will most likely be going airmail. As I'm well aware that the storage on planes isn't pressurized like the cabins it made me worry if it would still make it bottle go ewww even if it's never been opened. Anyone have any experience mailing liquids through the mail? Any tips would be recommended. Thanks!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By rorie

@naoiko: Yeah, there are enough companies that do monthly wine club shipments now that I can't imagine non-pressurized cabins are going to be what causes a break. Even if it did I wouldn't imagine something as thick as BBQ sauce would be too affected. I'd just make sure it was well-packaged and hopefully it'll arrive safe.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I've never had this happen to anything I shipped. If bottles regularly burst open in flight they wouldn't allow you to ship them that way.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LawGamer

It's more likely to be broken in delivery than it is from the any airplane pressure differential. I have no idea what those UPS/FedEx guys do with packages, but based on a couple I've received recently, it apparently involves moving it from the warehouse to the van via catapult and then kicking it from the van to your door when they arrive.

You might consider making it very clear to the shipping company that there's liquid in the package. Not just telling the guy you drop it off too - actually put something on the box itself. Not sure if it'll help, but it can't hurt.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mike@rorie@lawgamer Thanks guys! This totally helps me and makes alot of sense. I guess I was worried about nothing =). Ya'll rock!

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I work for the post office. Lawgamer is mostly right. It's more likely to be damaged in processing, not delivery. We aren't purposefully smashing your shit. Also, as a shipper, it's your responsibility to properly package your contents.