My Top Five Favorite Films of All-Time

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

When you're as big of a movie freak as I am, you get asked for recommendations a lot.  Truth is, up until about ten minutes ago, I never really settled on a top five for my favorite films of all time, mainly because I didn't want to get ripped apart for being wrong, mainly because it's just so damn hard to do.  I usually compare movies genre-to-genre instead of against each other, however, I always had specific movies that I knew would land in the top 5 if I ever made one.  Problem was, there were more than five of them, so this list is trimmed down somewhat, and I'm probably going to regret it immediately after posting, but here goes nothing.  In my current state of consciousness, these are my top 5 favorite films of all-time. Be mindful, these synopses will feature some spoilers.

5. Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction is the kind of movie that takes a few viewings before it begins to unravel.  Even though I was only two years old when this film was released, I appreciate it's unique approach to chronology
 And you will know my name is the Lord
 and unique characterization, and how these were used in films in the future.  Take, for example, the concept that Vic Vega, John Travolta's character dies halfway thorough the film, but due to the sporadic nature of the chronology is able to come back for the films final act.  The true ending to this movie is at the end of Bruce Willis arc, but if the movie ended there you wouldn't witness firsthand the transformations that the characters go through.  Samuel L. Jacksons performance in this movie remain the highpoint of his career.  I still think that he should have won Best Supporting Actor at the academy awards in 1994, for the ending sequence of this movie alone.  Watching it now still gives me chills.  I watched this movie before I saw Reservoir Dogs, so this was my entry into the world of Quentin Tarantino, and I don't think there's any other way to be introduced to his work. Quentin Tarantino starts to develop his signature stylistic flair, which pulls the audience out of the movie, and makes them aware that they are, in fact, audiences viewing a movie, and not actually there in the moment.  This would be frowned upon by some film gurus, but Quentin Tarantino does it so well and so stylistically that it's easy to forgive him.   This is by far the pinnacle of everything he has done, and is required viewing for any cinema geek.

4. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

Tonight's top story: The sewers run red...with Burgundy's Blood.
   This is probably a pick that a vast majority of people will disagree with me on.  I'm a sucker for Will Ferrel comedy, and this is the reason why.  I knew I would have to include at least one comedy on this list, and for me it was an extremely close call between Anchorman and The Big Lebowski,  but in the end, I had to give the edge to Anchorman just for being flat-out funnier.  I basically hold every dumb-comedy in existence to the bar Anchorman has set, and none top it.  Sometimes I think i just be nostalgic about how funny this movie is, so I go and find it, and watch it again, and it's just as funny if not funnier than I remember.  This movie is by far the most quotable movie in existence, and, as long as you are not completely against just stupid, fun comedy, you will have a great time.  A notable thing about this movie is how much star power came out of it.  This movie featured Steve Carrel and Paul Rudd before either of them made it big, and I think this just serves as a testament to how great this movie was as a launching pad for both of them.

3. Lady Vengeance

If you committed a sin, you have to make an atonement for that sin. 
It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Park Chan-Wook's work.   For those unfamiliar with Park Chan-Wook, he is most famous for creating his Vengeance trilogy, which are three films that are largely unrelated apart from their concept of vengeance.  Despite the shared theme, all three films view vengeance in extremely different lights.  The first film, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance , views Vengeance in a very, very negative light, whereas the second film, Oldboy,  views vengeance in a largely neutral light.  The final film, Lady Vengeance, views vengeance in a positive light.  That statement may be striking at first, as Vengenace should not be taken lightly, but this movie makes it happen.  The movie is really less about vengeance and more about attonement when it comes down to it, and in the end is all the more uplifting for it.  I think it's best to see this movie knowing as little as possible.  The first film, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, shows you all the characters motives as they happen, there are no mysteries.  The second film, Oldboy, follows one character, and while his motivations are clear, the others remain a mystery until the end of the movie.  This final film, Lady Vengeance, starts in the middle of the story. All of the characters motivations remain a mystery, that is slowly unraveled throughout the film.  Despite the mystery surrounding the characters, everything is crystal-clear in the end, and nothing is lost in translation.  The story is sprawling and covers a lot of material, and delivers the most satisfying conclusion I have ever seen in a film.  It is not only a great ending to the individual film, but a great ending to the trilogy as well.  If you only plan on seeing one film out of the trilogy, see this one, but I strongly recommend you watch all three in order.

2. 12 Angry Men

Wherever you run into it, prejudice always covers the truth.

This movie probably turned me into the huge movie-buff that I am today.  In the 8th grade, my U.S history teacher was on his last year before retirement, and dedicated a large portion of class-time introducing his students to film history.  This movie was screened in that class, and is the one that stuck with me the most.  This movie is the most prime example possible of less-is-more.  The movie, adapted from a stageplay, almost all takes place in a single room.  This movie is also an amazing exercise in character development, being stuck in a room with 12 men, none of which are given a name, and still managing to give you a deep understanding of every single persons mentality, and by the end of the movie, give you a realistic and heartfelt conclusion.  Something people may not know about this film, is that, as the movie progresses, the walls get closer and closer together, as a indication that the situation is getting more and more tense.  The conflict in the movie starts as a long-shot, becomes more plausible, and then pulls a complete 180 and becomes a conflict against the opposite side.  This movie is the pinnacle of classic cinema to me, and I recommend it to anybody with an affinity for movie-culture.

1. The Shawshank Redemption

Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.
Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side.
This. Movie. Is. Life. Changing.  Despite The Shawshank Redemption's lengthy running time, there is not a single thing I would change about it.  The plot concerns Andy Dufresne, who is convicted to life in prison due to the alleded murder of his wife.  This has the potential to be the most depressing movie possible, but it's not.  While he is in prison, he starts to realize that the enemies are not the inmates, but the orderlies.  Isn't that life, though?  Everybody who is on the same level as you is your friend, but as soon as they gain a position of power, they are your enemy.  Andy Dufresne, through the entire movie, takes his treatment in stride, never once breaking down but accepting the hardships that life has caused him to endure.   He atones for his past mistakes and is able to come out all the better for it.  This is really a movie about second chances.  Is it possible to change and take back past mistakes?  To start a new life, one far better than the old one?  The answer becomes clear at the conclusion of the movie, and the final shots are some of the most inspiring, triumphant shots ever to be captured on camera.

So there you have it, those are my top 5 favorite movies.  Agree?  Disagree? I'm open for discussion.  I fully expect everybodies opinion to differ, and I am prepared to be ridiculed for my choices, be it if you want to ridicule me for taking the easy way out with Shawshank Redemption or picking a stupid comedy as a spot on my list.  

Voice your thoughts, share your own top 5!
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you're as big of a movie freak as I am, you get asked for recommendations a lot.  Truth is, up until about ten minutes ago, I never really settled on a top five for my favorite films of all time, mainly because I didn't want to get ripped apart for being wrong, mainly because it's just so damn hard to do.  I usually compare movies genre-to-genre instead of against each other, however, I always had specific movies that I knew would land in the top 5 if I ever made one.  Problem was, there were more than five of them, so this list is trimmed down somewhat, and I'm probably going to regret it immediately after posting, but here goes nothing.  In my current state of consciousness, these are my top 5 favorite films of all-time. Be mindful, these synopses will feature some spoilers.

5. Pulp Fiction

Pulp Fiction is the kind of movie that takes a few viewings before it begins to unravel.  Even though I was only two years old when this film was released, I appreciate it's unique approach to chronology
 and unique characterization, and how these were used in films in the future.  Take, for example, the concept that Vic Vega, John Travolta's character dies halfway thorough the film, but due to the sporadic nature of the chronology is able to come back for the films final act.  The true ending to this movie is at the end of Bruce Willis arc, but if the movie ended there you wouldn't witness firsthand the transformations that the characters go through.  Samuel L. Jacksons performance in this movie remain the highpoint of his career.  I still think that he should have won Best Supporting Actor at the academy awards in 1994, for the ending sequence of this movie alone.  Watching it now still gives me chills.  I watched this movie before I saw Reservoir Dogs, so this was my entry into the world of Quentin Tarantino, and I don't think there's any other way to be introduced to his work. Quentin Tarantino starts to develop his signature stylistic flair, which pulls the audience out of the movie, and makes them aware that they are, in fact, audiences viewing a movie, and not actually there in the moment.  This would be frowned upon by some film gurus, but Quentin Tarantino does it so well and so stylistically that it's easy to forgive him.   This is by far the pinnacle of everything he has done, and is required viewing for any cinema geek.

This is probably a pick that a vast majority of people will disagree with me on.  I'm a sucker for Will Ferrel comedy, and this is the reason why.  I knew I would have to include at least one comedy on this list, and for me it was an extremely close call between Anchorman and The Big Lebowski,  but in the end, I had to give the edge to Anchorman just for being flat-out funnier.  I basically hold every dumb-comedy in existence to the bar Anchorman has set, and none top it.  Sometimes I think i just be nostalgic about how funny this movie is, so I go and find it, and watch it again, and it's just as funny if not funnier than I remember.  This movie is by far the most quotable movie in existence, and, as long as you are not completely against just stupid, fun comedy, you will have a great time.  A notable thing about this movie is how much star power came out of it.  This movie featured Steve Carrel and Paul Rudd before either of them made it big, and I think this just serves as a testament to how great this movie was as a launching pad for both of them.

3. Lady Vengeance

It's no secret that I am a huge fan of Park Chan-Wook's work.   For those unfamiliar with Park Chan-Wook, he is most famous for creating his Vengeance trilogy, which are three films that are largely unrelated apart from their concept of vengeance.  Despite the shared theme, all three films view vengeance in extremely different lights.  The first film, Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance , views Vengeance in a very, very negative light, whereas the second film, Oldboy,  views vengeance in a largely neutral light.  The final film, Lady Vengeance, views vengeance in a positive light.  That statement may be striking at first, as Vengenace should not be taken lightly, but this movie makes it happen.  The movie is really less about vengeance and more about attonement when it comes down to it, and in the end is all the more uplifting for it.  I think it's best to see this movie knowing as little as possible.  The first film, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, shows you all the characters motives as they happen, there are no mysteries.  The second film, Oldboy, follows one character, and while his motivations are clear, the others remain a mystery until the end of the movie.  This final film, Lady Vengeance, starts in the middle of the story. All of the characters motivations remain a mystery, that is slowly unraveled throughout the film.  Despite the mystery surrounding the characters, everything is crystal-clear in the end, and nothing is lost in translation.  The story is sprawling and covers a lot of material, and delivers the most satisfying conclusion I have ever seen in a film.  It is not only a great ending to the individual film, but a great ending to the trilogy as well.  If you only plan on seeing one film out of the trilogy, see this one, but I strongly recommend you watch all three in order.

2. 12 Angry Men

This movie probably turned me into the huge movie-buff that I am today.  In the 8th grade, my U.S history teacher was on his last year before retirement, and dedicated a large portion of class-time introducing his students to film history.  This movie was screened in that class, and is the one that stuck with me the most.  This movie is the most prime example possible of less-is-more.  The movie, adapted from a stageplay, almost all takes place in a single room.  This movie is also an amazing exercise in character development, being stuck in a room with 12 men, none of which are given a name, and still managing to give you a deep understanding of every single persons mentality, and by the end of the movie, give you a realistic and heartfelt conclusion.  Something people may not know about this film, is that, as the movie progresses, the walls get closer and closer together, as a indication that the situation is getting more and more tense.  The conflict in the movie starts as a long-shot, becomes more plausible, and then pulls a complete 180 and becomes a conflict against the opposite side.  This movie is the pinnacle of classic cinema to me, and I recommend it to anybody with an affinity for movie-culture.

1. The Shawshank Redemption

This. Movie. Is. Life. Changing.  Despite The Shawshank Redemption's lengthy running time, there is not a single thing I would change about it.  The plot concerns Andy Dufresne, who is convicted to life in prison due to the alleded murder of his wife.  This has the potential to be the most depressing movie possible, but it's not.  While he is in prison, he starts to realize that the enemies are not the inmates, but the orderlies.  Isn't that life, though?  Everybody who is on the same level as you is your friend, but as soon as they gain a position of power, they are your enemy.  Andy Dufresne, through the entire movie, takes his treatment in stride, never once breaking down but accepting the hardships that life has caused him to endure.   He atones for his past mistakes and is able to come out all the better for it.  This is really a movie about second chances.  Is it possible to change and take back past mistakes?  To start a new life, one far better than the old one?  The answer becomes clear at the conclusion of the movie, and the final shots are some of the most inspiring, triumphant shots ever to be captured on camera.

So there you have it, those are my top 5 favorite movies.  Agree?  Disagree? I'm open for discussion.  I fully expect everybodies opinion to differ, and I am prepared to be ridiculed for my choices, be it if you want to ridicule me for taking the easy way out with Shawshank Redemption or picking a stupid comedy as a spot on my list.  

Voice your thoughts, share your own top 5!
kaaaaaaahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kaaaaaaahn

5- american psycho- because it was awesome 
4-the boy in the striped pyjamas-because it was the first movie to make me cry 
3- shaun of the dead- zombie comedy hell yes  
2- pulp fiction-what u said 
1- gummo- the movie youve never heard of but should have

B303_Devilfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By B303_Devilfish

Dude you are my hero for having a Park Chan-Wook film in your list. And I was quite surprised to see Anchorman in a top 5 list, but that movie is really, really, funny. Other than that, that is one good list you have their.

Edit: Oh. I forgot to add my top 5, here they are:
5. Ghost World
4. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
3. Oldboy
2. Apocalypse Now
1. The Dark Knight
 Took some time to decide which films to choose, and which order to put them in. As to why I picked them, I don't feel like giving reason to it. That's my top 5 for now.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Black_Raven
@kaaaaaaahn said:
" 5- american psycho- because it was awesome 4-the boy in the striped pyjamas-because it was the first movie to make me cry 3- shaun of the dead- zombie comedy hell yes  2- pulp fiction-what u said 1- gummo- the movie youve never heard of but should have "
Gummo seems to be a love it or hate it film. Personally I thought it was great and really memorable. Awesome soundtrack too.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By armaan8014

In no particular order- 

The Green Mile
The Last Samurai
Into the Wild
Forrest Gump
The Shawshank Redemption

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

1: Turn Left, turn Right - IMO the best romance ever made.
2: Dalkomhan Insaeng (A bittersweet life) -  A wonderful gang movie.
3: Fight Club - Because fuck yeah.
4: Enemy at the Gates - Because in Soviet Russia impoverished-herder-with-little-to-no-formal-training kills YOU!
5: Muppet Treasure Island - this is the greatest thing that has ever, and will ever, involve puppets.

Notable mentions: Stalingrad (although it has been awhile since I saw that movie), V for Vendetta, Rockin Rolla, The Prestige

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@SecondPersonShooter said:
"

"

I have watched that movie literally over 200 times in the last year.
Avatar image for valentin_seleznyov
Valentin_Seleznyov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great picks (with the exception of Anchorman). Personally, i prefered Resevior Dogs and Jackie Brown over Tarantino's other work, but i think it would be fair to say that Pulp Fiction is him, as a director, at his best. 

My top 5 (in no particular order) 

1. Aliens 
2. Tin Cup 
3. Taken 
4. Live and Let Die 
5. Hard Ball 

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Where's Donnie Darko?
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Cool post bro, maybe want to check out screened.com I'm not saying you shouldn't post this here but maybe you weren't aware of the movie site. Like the movies in your list but I've never heard of Lady Vengeance, might need to check it out.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spaceturtle

Not ranked* 

Pulp Fiction 
Apocalypse Now 
A Clockwork Orange 
District 9 
Inglourious Basterds 

I also want to mention Twin Peaks. I know it's not a movie, but is still hell of a good show.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By MeetThePyro

4. 12 Angry Men
3. 500 Days of Summer
2. Jurassic Park
1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Jazz

Interesting selection. 
In no order 
Blues Brothers 
Infernal Affairs 
Zoolander 
Godfather 
Transformers (1980s version)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

Wow, I have never seen any of the OP's top five. I really should watch Pulp and Shawshank at some point. Anyway, here's my list:

5. The Wrestler
4. Hideous Kinky
3. Seven Samurai
2. Princess Mononoke
1. Once Upon a Time in the West

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tiwi
@gunslingerNZ said:
" Cool post bro, maybe want to check out screened.com I'm not saying you shouldn't post this here but maybe you weren't aware of the movie site. Like the movies in your list but I've never heard of Lady Vengeance, might need to check it out. "
ahahha go to hell you fuckstick. don't you think he knows it? like REALLY? next time shut the fuck up before commenting on things, if you're not going to add anything meaningful.
B303_Devilfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By B303_Devilfish
@SPACETURTLE said:
" Not ranked*  
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now  
Orange Clockwork
District 9
Inglourious Basterds 

I also want to mention Twin Peaks. I know it's not a movie, but is still hell of a good show. "
Duder, I think you mean A Clockwork Orange.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@tiwi: Wow overreaction much? I was actually being genuine. For all I know he could have joined the site yesterday in which case he might not have visited screened and might not know what it's about. You might want to take a deep breath and count to 10 before posting next time.
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By landon

1. Spirited Away
2. Watchmen
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Dark Knight
5. Howls Moving Castle

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spaceturtle
@B303_Devilfish said:
" @SPACETURTLE said:
" Not ranked*  
Pulp Fiction
Apocalypse Now  
Orange Clockwork
District 9
Inglourious Basterds 

I also want to mention Twin Peaks. I know it's not a movie, but is still hell of a good show. "
Duder, I think you mean A Clockwork Orange. "
NO, I MEAN ORANGE CLOCKWORK!!!! 

No, seriously, whoops, I definitely meant A Clockwork Orange. Thanks for the heads up. Good movie though.
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunslingerNZ: Don't worry about it.

Yes, I'm aware of screened, and this is a duplicate blog of one I posted over there.
I posted it here because it gets way more discussion over here, I posted this on screened and it only has half the posts.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By walreese55

5. Shawshank
4. Network
3. Apocalypse Now
2. Goodfellas
1. The Godfather 1 and 2

SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brainboy77: Sorry to do this to you buddy, but if you had to pick one godfather movie, which one would you go with?
Avatar image for i_love_eva_braun
I_love_Eva_Braun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By I_love_Eva_Braun

In no order 

A Clockwork Orange

American Psycho

Oldboy

Reservoir Dogs

Scarface 

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Wow, surprised how similar most of the lists are. Can't really decide on the specific order, but Shawshank is definitely number one...

Saving Private Ryan
Spaceballs
Pulp Fction 
Fight Club 
The Shawshank Redemption 

I'm also a fan of 12 Angry men and Hitchcock's work: Rope, Rear Window, Vertigo, all fantastic. 

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tiwi
@SecondPersonShooter said:
" @gunslingerNZ: Don't worry about it.  Yes, I'm aware of screened, and this is a duplicate blog of one I posted over there. I posted it here because it gets way more discussion over here, I posted this on screened and it only has half the posts. "
that was why i overreacted. I don't even care if you were being genuine, there's NO FUCKING need to point it out.
walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By walreese55
@SecondPersonShooter: Oh, you motherfucker. Jk, jk, probably The godfather 2 is the better movie, but the original is my favorite, if that makes any sense
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By habster3

5. The Dark Knight 
4. Kung-Pow! 
3. Hot Fuzz

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark 
1. Shawn of the Dead

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By EVO

After seeing hundreds of movies, graduating film school and going to the cinemas every other week, Dude, Where's My Car? still remains my most watched movie.