My Wife's New Laptop... A gamer's story.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

It came as a gift from my Wife's mother. At first, it was a Gateway. My wife said, "too big" and having no say in the matter, a Toshiba Satellite then came to be known in the house.

I laughed at its specs, little loser. 4500MHD integrated graphics...please. I have no need for such a puny machine. I can't play video games on it, not good ones.

A few more bones and I could have had a gaming laptop.

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum. My aging PC spoke to me. "I only have an 80 gb hard drive. What games do I currently have installed?" Well, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, Deus Ex, Morrowind and Team Fortress 2 on Steam. Wait, oh I get it, I have a back catalog of video games for the PC that I don't have room for. The laptop has a 500 gb hard drive... curious.

I then tried Pirates! Live the Life on my wife's laptop, we share, so I can use it too. Nothing special to note other than it works.

I then installed Max Payne 2. The first thing I noticed is that it supported the laptop's native resolution, 1366 by 768. That's cool. I cranked the graphics up, I crank them up and then work my way down, and it worked like a charm. I had never finished Max Payne 2, so my mind about this piece of hardware is changing.

I now think about other old games I have that could use some new love.

Games I own that should run on my Wife's laptop.

I might try a few more, but this is a pretty good list and that's not counting Max Payne 2.

1. Grim Fandango

How about that.

2. Deus Ex

Why not? The laptop has 500gb of memory.

3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Sure.

4. The Longest Journey

Gotcha.

5. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way

Haven't seen you in a while.

6. Sid Meier's SimGolf

Where's my sequel?

7. Beyond Good & Evil

A good one.

8. Medieval: Total War

A pretty old game, should play on the laptop.

9. NASCAR Racing 2002 Season

Not as good as 2003, but cool none the less.

10. MVP Baseball 2005

One of the best ever.

11. Madden NFL 2005

I haven't played a Madden game in a while. Roster sucks, but who cares. Maybe there's a mod.

All is forgiven little laptop, all is forgiven. Game on.

Thanks for reading.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

It came as a gift from my Wife's mother. At first, it was a Gateway. My wife said, "too big" and having no say in the matter, a Toshiba Satellite then came to be known in the house.

I laughed at its specs, little loser. 4500MHD integrated graphics...please. I have no need for such a puny machine. I can't play video games on it, not good ones.

Well, a funny thing happened on the way to the forum. My aging PC spoke to me. "I only have an 80 gb hard drive. What games do I currently have installed?" Well, Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher, Deus Ex, Morrowind and Team Fortress 2 on Steam. Wait, oh I get it, I have a back catalog of video games for the PC that I don't have room for. The laptop has a 500 gb hard drive... curious.

I then tried Pirates! Live the Life on my wife's laptop, we share, so I can use it too. Nothing special to note other than it works.

I then installed Max Payne 2. The first thing I noticed is that it supported the laptop's native resolution, 1366 by 768. That's cool. I cranked the graphics up, I crank them up and then work my way down, and it worked like a charm. I had never finished Max Payne 2, so my mind about this piece of hardware is changing.

I now think about other old games I have that could use some new love.

I might try a few more, but this is a pretty good list and that's not counting Max Payne 2.

1. Grim Fandango

How about that.

2. Deus Ex

Sure.

4. The Longest Journey

Gotcha.

6. Sid Meier's SimGolf

Where's my sequel?

7. Beyond Good & Evil

A good one.

9. NASCAR Racing 2002 Season

Not as good as 2003, but cool none the less.

10. MVP Baseball 2005

One of the best ever.

11. Madden NFL 2005

I haven't played a Madden game in a while. Roster sucks, but who cares. Maybe there's a mod.

All is forgiven little laptop, all is forgiven. Game on.

Thanks for reading.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By iam3green

cool, that u got a new laptop that can play some games. have fun playing with it i guess.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Claude
@iam3green said:
" cool, that u got a new laptop that can play some games. have fun playing with it i guess. "
The moral of the story is don't laugh in the face of something less powerful. Games are games no matter what they're played on.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Turtlemayor333

There are a ton of roster mods available for Madden 08, which plays exactly like 05 on the PC. Football Freaks' website has it set up where you can download the most recent players, and even new draft classes so you can have guys like Ndamukong Su and Sam Bradford in the game with their portraits and everything. From what I've heard, it's pretty impressive.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor

You pretty much got all the games I would put on there... except for one. But it requires a bit more finesse to run it, so you've pretty much got all you need. 

/Played the hell out of SimGolf back in the day, loved that game

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ben_H

Laptops aren't that terrible.  I can run Rome: Total War on my netbook, which essentially gives me access to portable Total War.  You may even be able to get Medieval 2: Total War to run on your laptop.  It runs great on mine.

SimGolf is the bomb. **Looks at wiki scores for it** Hehehe.  I adore that game.  I have played through it so many times it's almost sad.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

I can think of many more great games you can run on that PC but I think those 10 should last you long enough. Medieval Total War and Morrowind so to speak (especially since it has great mod support). Ha. Turns out a lot more people enjoyed SimGolf then I previously thought.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ben_H
@eroticfishcake said:
" I can think of many more great games you can run on that PC but I think those 10 should last you long enough. Medieval Total War and Morrowind so to speak (especially since it has great mod support). Ha. Turns out a lot more people enjoyed SimGolf then I previously thought. "
SimGolf is easily my favourite micromanagement game of all time.  The original Rollercoaster Tycoon being a close second.  I should make a disc image so I can install that game on my netbook.  Portable Total War AND SimGolf would keep me happy for years.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
@Turtlemayor333:  I'll check that out. I did some research into MVP 2005 and there's some mods for that too. They seemed rather complicated as the game wasn't made to be mod accessible.

@Ben_H:
@Snipzor:
@eroticfishcake:

I'm loving the SimGolf love. Why is there no sequel? I would buy SimGolf 2 in a heartbeat.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Ben_H: Throw in Theme Hospital and you're sorted for life. There was another management sim but I've forgotton it. Gah, what was it?...
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I got a lot of good use out of my old laptop, they should never be dismissed. Also remember you can still play VVVVVV on ANY laptop, so no worries :D

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have a shitty laptop too. I use it to hold all my iTunes stuff and also to play Blizzard games in a LAN setting. For something that is unable to do anything else, it's a pretty good Warcraft III machine.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By shirogane

I'm going to assume that Torchlight will work on the laptop, havn't verified it though. But it has a netbook mode for a reason i'm assuming. 

You seriously installed that stuff on an 80GB harddrive? oh boy... 

I'm considering getting a new laptop, that alienware m11x, hmm...but do i want to add 900 for 8gb of ram?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Claude
@Shirogane said:

" I'm going to assume that Torchlight will work on the laptop, havn't verified it though. But it has a netbook mode for a reason i'm assuming.  You seriously installed that stuff on an 80GB harddrive? oh boy...  I'm considering getting a new laptop, that alienware m11x, hmm...but do i want to add 900 for 8gb of ram? "

I played the demo of Torchlight on the laptop and it worked great. I might get it through Steam. Steam has a lot of old games for sale cheap. There's a few not mentioned that I'm going to use on my Steam account.

As for installing the games mentioned on my aging PC's 80 gb hard drive, yeah, that's tough, but I do a lot of maintenance on my PC. It's just a gaming, internet machine. I don't even use any antivirus software on my rig. It's a lean, mean, aging gaming machine.

The laptop has a 500 gb hard drive, so it's all cool.
L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By L33tfella_H
@Claude said:

1. Grim Fandango

How about that.

2. Deus Ex

Sure.

4. The Longest Journey

Gotcha.

7. Beyond Good & Evil

A good one.

All is forgiven little laptop, all is forgiven. Game on. Thanks for reading. "
That's a pretty nice selection, and i dunno if you're much a fan, but you should probably check out ONI if you can. I just installed it, and aside from it showing a bit of age, it's still quite fun kicking and punching dudes (Bungie really need to get on a direct/spiritual successor!).
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

Nice little story. Also, amazing selection of old school games.

Jtan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Jtan21

Keep backing it up with the Total War series, might as well play Shogun instead. How bout Age of Empires I? "Hoplites!" Or Diablo II?

i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By i69edUrGpa

[ x ] OP should post pics of wife

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentofChaos
@i69edUrGpa said:
" [ x ] OP should post pics of wife "
....says the man with Lemon Party as a picture.
wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By wwfundertaker

i dont enjoy playing games on a laptop.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By oldschool

You're getting a lap what from your wife?