Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pirate_republic

Sorry, it's the Windows 7 Beta. And I apologize for it being formatted so crapily... (IE is really not compatible with Giant Bomb AT ALL. -- fixed... now using chrome)

Chaplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Chaplin

It looks neat, but not much different to Vista! Actually the only difference I'm seeing is the new task bar, which I think, doesn't look as good as the old one. It's weird to see Microsoft trieing so hard to imitate the OS X from Apple, which I still prefer over Windows.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pirate_republic
Chaplin said:
"It looks neat, but not much different to Vista! Actually the only difference I'm seeing is the new task bar, which I think, doesn't look as good as the old one. It's weird to see Microsoft trieing so hard to imitate the OS X from Apple, which I still prefer over Windows."
There are more features, like I said google it (like jump lists and such) but you're right, it's very much similar to Vista. I didn't like the new taskbar at first, but it's way more practical. Besides, I'm a PC guy so I stick to linux and windows. Macs just don't appeal to me.
Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dark_Shadow
"Your gadgets are no longer tied to the side bar. They are also no more useful."
What do you mean? That you can turn off your side bar and keep some gadgets in the desktop? Or do you need  your side bar turned on? 'cause, it was possible to move the gadgets around already.

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pirate_republic
Dark_Shadow said:
"
"Your gadgets are no longer tied to the side bar. They are also no more useful."
What do you mean? That you can turn off your side bar and keep some gadgets in the desktop? Or do you need  your side bar turned on? 'cause, it was possible to move the gadgets around already.

"
The side bar is completely gone. When you add a gadget, it goes to the center of your desktop, as opposed to the side. You can place them anywhere on the desktop. Placing them where the side bar used to be is optional.
Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Dark_Shadow
pirate_republic said:
"Dark_Shadow said:
"

"
The side bar is completely gone. When you add a gadget, it goes to the center of your desktop, as opposed to the side. You can place them anywhere on the desktop. Placing them where the side bar used to be is optional."
Ah, I see. It's just that in your pic you have them where the side bar used to be - and I notice that the interface is a bit more transparent, that why I thought the side bar was there but invisible.
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jimbojones

The fact you can look through all your windows is really cool. I hated having to lower them to get to the desktop. I figured a different way though. Just open up my computer and enter the desktop from there. It's actually easier to manage stuff through my computer

aren't there programs that change the desktop over a set time? if so what are they?

i thought the msn was cool when you post a wink and you can attach a pic of urself to the wink emoticon

I'm glad they fixed that ram thing. vista needing 4 gigs of ram for games like wow is LOL

Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa

I want to upgrade to the beta but I want to know if there are any compatibility issues with gaming.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK
pirate_republic said:
"Chaplin said:
"It looks neat, but not much different to Vista! Actually the only difference I'm seeing is the new task bar, which I think, doesn't look as good as the old one. It's weird to see Microsoft trieing so hard to imitate the OS X from Apple, which I still prefer over Windows."
There are more features, like I said google it (like jump lists and such) but you're right, it's very much similar to Vista. I didn't like the new taskbar at first, but it's way more practical. Besides, I'm a PC guy so I stick to linux and windows. Macs just don't appeal to me."
Or just go right to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7.

It's a rather comprehensive list since the beta is feature complete. Unfortunately, reading about it is hardly akin to using it.
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pirate_republic
Dr_shiggityshwa said:
"I want to upgrade to the beta but I want to know if there are any compatibility issues with gaming."
Minimal issues. Chances are, if it works with Vista, it works with Windows 7. I've heard plenty of reports that gaming on Windows 7 is as good as in XP.
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By WickedCobra03

Actually the downloads are no longer capped at 2.5 million anymore.

And personally, I would just rather just keep kicking good ole XP as my main machine.  It just works, its fast and easy.  I need none of those features and really do not see myself clamoring for them in the near future.  And well... after trying to run Vista and only lasting like 7 months out of the year I said I would use it for, I am back at XP!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Systech

I don't have a copy of my Vista service pack (since it came with the computer). Is it possible I can revert to it somehow when the beta is over?

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KamasamaK
systech said:
"I don't have a copy of my Vista service pack (since it came with the computer). Is it possible I can revert to it somehow when the beta is over?"
You can make an image/ghost your current drive if you have another one to back it up to, and restore it later. If you can find a way to dual boot with the beta, that would be fine too.
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pirate_republic
WickedCobra03 said:
"Actually the downloads are no longer capped at 2.5 million anymore. (fixed)

And personally, I would just rather just keep kicking good ole XP as my main machine.  It just works, its fast and easy.  I need none of those features and really do not see myself clamoring for them in the near future.  And well... after trying to run Vista and only lasting like 7 months out of the year I said I would use it for, I am back at XP!"
I see what you mean, but this beta works just as well as XP worked (for all my needs). There aren't any groundbreaking new features, but I don't think there are any groundbreaking new features they could have come up with anyways.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

looks like theyre still trying to look like leopard. 

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Fosssil

Anyone tried to run this with Boot Camp on a Mac, or know if it's compatible? I don't have enough HDD space on my PC to make a new partition for a dual-boot, and I really don't feel like installing over XP just for a Beta. So, if it works on my MacBook, I'll try it out.

Ashibaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ashibaka

Might download the beta later. I'm liking what I've been hearing.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By WickedCobra03
pirate_republic said:
"WickedCobra03 said:
"Actually the downloads are no longer capped at 2.5 million anymore. (fixed)

And personally, I would just rather just keep kicking good ole XP as my main machine.  It just works, its fast and easy.  I need none of those features and really do not see myself clamoring for them in the near future.  And well... after trying to run Vista and only lasting like 7 months out of the year I said I would use it for, I am back at XP!"
I see what you mean, but this beta works just as well as XP worked (for all my needs). There aren't any groundbreaking new features, but I don't think there are any groundbreaking new features they could have come up with anyways."
Well the big innovations with XP were actual plug and play that now worked just about 100% of the time.  Basic burning features were now included, a new and innovative layout of computer users at login if so choose, oh yeah, and networking was probably their biggest improvement.  I mean the options were numerous and now you didn't have to go into the console just to preform basic network functions like in windows 98.  Stability was pretty big too.  I mean Windows 98: Second Edition was damn stable, but with XP I rarely had any major problems with random weirdness. 
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Recession
pwned, I've had 7 for over a month
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Recession
systech said:
"I don't have a copy of my Vista service pack (since it came with the computer). Is it possible I can revert to it somehow when the beta is over?"
By Windows 7 when it comes out in Aug, or bittorrent Vista
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KamasamaK
Recession said:
"systech said:
By Windows 7 when it comes out in Aug, or bittorrent Vista"
That depends on what he means by "revert". I'm not sure if you're able to install Vista over Windows 7, which would allow you to keep your settings and files. Assuming you can't and if he doesn't mind reformatting, then he probably could download the Vista image from somewhere (since he owns a license) and reuse his serial key, which can be found with Keyfinder.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By lordofultima

I'll stick with 2000. Thanks.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jayge_

I'll definitely have to build a new PC by the end of this year.

Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Recession
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pirate_republic
Recession said:
"
"
...and you only get it for a month until you have to activate it (lol @ you). Well, I guess 120 days if you screw in the registry, but still.
Recession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Recession
pirate_republic said:
"Recession said:
"
"
...and you only get it for a month until you have to activate it (lol @ you). Well, I guess 120 days if you screw in the registry, but still.
"
look @ the pic it has been activated
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pirate_republic
Recession said:
"pirate_republic said:
"Recession said:
"
"
"
look @ the pic it has been activated"
Then how the hell did you get a product key a month early. I know the beta itself was leaked, but the product keys?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It`s looking pretty neat, I like the whole idea of the gadgets not tied to the side, and I`m glad you said it uses alot less ram, I was hoping for that as Vista was a resource hog itself.