Name your cuts to the federal government's budget

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kelbear

There are a lot of big numbers swimming around out there that are hard for most people to understand. So to help provide a sense of proportion, here's a visual interactive representation of where the federal government's money is going, and how so much money is being spent. 

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/01/us/budget.html?ref=federal_budget_us  

It is important to click on "hide/show" mandatory spending to see which items are funded through legislation instead of the budgetary process, as these are the items which will make for headline battles before they can be increased or decreased. 

The biggest fish in the pond are: 
1) Defense spending 
2) Medicare and Medicaid 
3) Social security  

These items already comprise the majority of the budget with 68% of the total spent. It's political suicide to advocate cuts to defense, medicare/medicaid, and social security. Personally, I'd like all 3 to be cut, but let's look at things that are at least theoretically possible.

To decrease the deficit, you have to either cut spending or increase taxes. Where would YOU begin to make changes? Starting with a 1,400 billion deficit.

For example:
1) ~30 billion cut: Cut all foreign aid. Those people need help, but American money should be spent on Americans.  
2) 20 billion cut: Cutting majority of agricultural subsidies, we're already a huge agricultural exporter, we don't need to continue subsidizing this. 
3) $68 billion: Let the Bush tax cuts expire, this would bring in $68 billion a year in additional tax revenue so that we can keep the things we still want to have. 
4) $25 billion: Renew the estate tax which has been around since 1916 but lapsed last year. $25 billion a year in revenue on taxes to inheritances over of over $3.5million dollars.
5) 30 billion increase: Increase direct-loan financial aid to promote job retraining. As technology replaces people, those people can't get back to work until they're trained to use the new technology. This is a critical leg for a balanced economy.  Unemployed produce no tax revenue, but if you get someone back to work, he contributes to the economy and can pay taxes. 
6) Hard cap on budget growth for all programs, normally ~2% a year.  This is actually the biggest cut even though it's gradual. It is also the most painful because budgets naturally grow as they serve a /growing/ population, and providing cost of living salary increases to it's employees. With a hard cap, each year will require annual layoffs(during a recession too!) and reductions in service, and increases in wait times for the people at large. Hopefully they'll lay off the best employees last if they haven't left for a job that pays better. 

113 billion deficit reduction per year, closing the deficit in 14 years.

I sound like an asshole cutting these things, but that's because I'm suggesting actual things to cut instead of vaguely saying "Spend less money". It doesn't sound as simple when you have to give up someone's tangible benefits. There's my terrible budget proposal, post yours!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Fuck that I'll name state cuts...I'll cut out the budget to build new sports stadiums in every american state...since thats the only thing americans don't mind be raped with taxes over...a new sports stadium they will likely never visit.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Brendan

If the government was run like a successful business, their cuts would look a lot like yours.  Unfortunately, the gov't is run like the gov't. 
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Cut defense spending by bringing back all the troops not just the ones in Iraq and Afganistan.  Get rid of the Bush tax cuts.  Put some of that money into teaching people about healthy eating choices and into schools.  Less dumb fat people will help with a lot of things in the long run.

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By minorinya
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" Fuck that I'll name state cuts...I'll cut out the budget to build new sports stadiums in every american state...since thats the only thing americans don't mind be raped with taxes over...a new sports stadium they will likely never visit. "
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'd like to see the money used for the DEA to raid medical Marijuana dispensaries be put to better use.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz
@kelbear: Tax increases are exactly what our shaky economy needs.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Diamond

Well obviously extending the Bush tax cuts would be idiotic.  Estate tax should be active too.

I think defense spending should be intelligently redesigned in coordination with the military.  Some of those projects are just idiotic and are expensive and aim to attain goals that serve no practical purpose.  We need a larger standing army.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer

Did you know that if you took 1/3 of the USA's defence budget you could feed, clothe, and provide fresh water and shelter for every poor person on the planet for a year.

Maybe you don't buy a bunch of stealth bombers this year...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

You know, if any of you were working there and making the cuts, at every turn you would have a million advisors telling you the cons of cutting funding from this or that. And what tells you that in the 14 years between now and a debt-free US there wont be some other shit that happens that requires money. ie war, natural or artificial catastrophe, etc.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By mikemcn
@Xeiphyer said:
" Did you know that if you took 1/3 of the USA's defence budget you could feed, clothe, and provide fresh water and shelter for every poor person on the planet for a year.  Maybe you don't buy a bunch of stealth bombers this year... "
But I like my Stealth Bomber's, and the new one has a camera.
MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

I don't think we need a way to obliterate an enemy with nuclear weapons, let alone 3 ways. Seems like such a horrible way to see things. 

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By DoctorWelch
@Brendan said:
" If the government was run like a successful business, their cuts would look a lot like yours.  Unfortunately, the gov't is run like the gov't.  "
You're saying it would be better if the government was run like a successful business? The government shouldnt be run anything like a business at all. Yeah, it's run like shit now, but the point of the government is not to make money and grow. Businesses are supposed to make money and grow, to become bigger and more profitable, our government is supposed to stay the same size and make sure the country and it's people stay alive and well and are able to create successful businesses.  

(Im no longer talking directly to you Brendan)

Basically, people focus on too many specific things when trying to figure out what is wrong with our country. What's wrong isnt directly any of these things we are talking about here, it's the overall corruption and idiocy that has become the federal government. I could probably wright like 100 pages of why how are government is run like shit and by a bunch of fucking morons, but I wont do that here. Basically, I learned a while ago that hoping for anything more than simplemindedness, greed, laziness, indecisiveness, deception, and cowardice from the people running this country is simply foolish. 

I dont know about everyone else, but I feel like the people that we elect to make the decisions have less common sense than most house pets.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ragdrazi

Cut half the military's budget. We can still win against China spending 3 times as much as they are instead of 6.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By Gunner

1. Cutting Foriegn aid would piss off the countries that we are currently supporting as well as half of the UN.. America doesnt need to be hated more than they already are.
2. While some states in the US are a huge producer of agriculture, most states arent, who is going to substidize those states that arent? 
3. Goes without saying, i doubt that the government is going to renew the tax cuts when we are in a deficit. 
4. The realestate market is still struggling, renewing taxes that were removed will only hurt it more. 

You cant cut things in our government without a huge consequence following it. Our government is structured in a way that we can either have excess or depression, not something in between.
 @Ragdrazi said:

" Cut half the military's budget. We can still win against China spending 3 times as much as they are instead of 6. "
Chinas military spending is so low because they have almost no navy to speak of and their airforce is insignificant. The only thing they have to spend money on is manpower and half their population is requires to take up some form of martial arts which cuts down in training costs. Our advantage against china is our superior technology which is quite expensive to maintain.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Gunner said:
 @Ragdrazi said:
" Cut half the military's budget. We can still win against China spending 3 times as much as they are instead of 6. "
Chinas military spending is so low because they have almost no navy to speak of and their airforce is insignificant. The only thing they have to spend money on is manpower and half their population is requires to take up some form of martial arts which cuts down in training costs. Our advantage against china is our superior technology which is quite expensive to maintain. "
But six times as much? That's ridiculous. We don't need all this.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaneDev

I am not American so dont take my opinion seriously on this but why don't you cut your military spending which is ridiculously high? 

Edit: oh wait other people have already said that but I would not want to live in a country that spent that much money on its military.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Gunner
@Ragdrazi said:
" @Gunner said:
 @Ragdrazi said:
Chinas military spending is so low because they have almost no navy to speak of and their airforce is insignificant. The only thing they have to spend money on is manpower and half their population is requires to take up some form of martial arts which cuts down in training costs. Our advantage against china is our superior technology which is quite expensive to maintain. "
But six times as much? That's ridiculous. We don't need all this. "
Our military is spread out all over the world and the majority of our forces are currently active because of this, active military units are more expensive than reserve military units which is what most of the chinese military consists of. The removal of military presence would ruin our relations with our allies and piss off the UN. The U.S dug itself into a pretty deep hole when they adopted the "lets police the world and make everyone like us" doctrine.
bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bombHills
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I'd like to see the money used for the DEA to raid medical Marijuana dispensaries be put to better use. "
Yes! One of my first thoughts was the wasted money on marijuana prohibition. All of the cuts mentioned here would be smart and the war on drugs is a failure that everyone can see. Everyone except politicians that is...
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Gunner said:
" @Ragdrazi said:
" @Gunner said:
 @Ragdrazi said:
But six times as much? That's ridiculous. We don't need all this. "
Our military is spread out all over the world and the majority of our forces are currently active because of this, active military units are more expensive than reserve military units which is what most of the chinese military consists of. The removal of military presence would ruin our relations with our allies and piss off the UN. The U.S dug itself into a pretty deep hole when they adopted the "lets police the world and make everyone like us" doctrine. "
Well you have a point there. But just because it's difficult doesn't mean it wouldn't be doable as long as we took time and care.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bombHills said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
" I'd like to see the money used for the DEA to raid medical Marijuana dispensaries be put to better use. "
Yes! One of my first thoughts was the wasted money on marijuana prohibition. All of the cuts mentioned here would be smart and the war on drugs is a failure that everyone can see. Everyone except politicians that is... "
Consider yourself followed. Have you been keeping up with proposition 19 at all?
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like what you did, it seems like the most effective solution to the budget problems without cutting important things like Social Security and whatnot.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By damnboyadvance

That is pretty complicated. I'll leave that to the government.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jinxman

Cut medicare and medicaid.  There I said it.  They're inefficient, corrupt programs, that turn down way more people than insurance companies anyway.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ryanwho

Anything I'm not directly befitting from is coincidentally what we can cut in the budget to fix America.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Mikemcn said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" Did you know that if you took 1/3 of the USA's defence budget you could feed, clothe, and provide fresh water and shelter for every poor person on the planet for a year.  Maybe you don't buy a bunch of stealth bombers this year... "
But I like my Stealth Bomber's, and the new one has a camera. "
Yeah but they still have those stupid smaller headphone jacks so you have to go buy the $40 special headphones. Fuckers.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

Get rid of subsidies. Legalize marijuana. Bring our troops home from around the world. Stop all foreign aid. Get rid of NASA.  etc.... 

Or, just stop all federal spending and have states (who have balanced budget amendments) take care of their own budgets.