New ABC series Last Resort, first episode's online and is awesome

madlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By madlaughter

Last Resort doesn't air on TV until September 28th, but Yahoo has put the pilot online early, presumably to build hype and anticipation.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/fall-tv/exclusive-watch-abc-fall-drama-last-resort-full-061122041.html

I watched it earlier today, and thought that it was outstanding. I liked it much more than Revolution (Which you can find on Hulu), I thought the cast was better, the premise more engaging, and the possibilities at the end of the episode were much more enticing. They crammed a lot of story into the first 44 minutes of the series, but I think they pulled it off well. It is from the creator of The Shield, one of the best shows of the last ten years. (Family Meeting, anyone?)

I get a Lost/Battlestar Galactica vibe from the show, and if you're going to go with two shows to borrow inspiration, it's hard to find two better. Some shows have an outlandish premise but no likeable characters and leads with no charisma (The Event, Revolution) But I think Andre Braugher is a great leading man. Speedman wasn't bad either, and who can say no to Robert Patrick?

I am reposting this topic with a more fleshed out initial post so that it isn't shut down again for spam.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Funkydupe

Where do you have to be in the world to watch that?

madlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By madlaughter

I think you need to be in the USA. A user on another forum mentioned that they were able to use a legal program called "hotspotshield" to bypass that requirement.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FourWude

#Cut my life into pieces, this is my last resort#

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By falserelic

Lets give it up for Richard Cheese. This is my cell phone ringtone.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

@MadLaughter: I watched it,

I found it .... alright, in parts, some of the acting is just laughable, and it's going to be contrived as all hell

also, the "Sexy sex sexiness sex sexy" parts were just fucking dumb

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I think the premise is insane and silly but in a great way, and it's at least not as outright dumb of a conceit as Revolution. Also, not as blatant of a "Holy shit, we need some of that Hunger Game money--get me a girl with a bow!" move.

gametrkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By gametrkr

I will give it a go.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Jams
No Caption Provided
NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Jams said:

No Caption Provided

It's where they keep their sporks.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ares42

Hmm, checked it out and it's a good pilot, but it sets up two very different paths for the series. If it goes the "we're now living on this island and have to deal with that" and the whole premise is just a premise, then it's gonna suck. But if it actually has a story to tell and they continue developing on the premise it might turn out good. I fear it'll be the first one though.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jams

@Ares42 said:

Hmm, checked it out and it's a good pilot, but it sets up two very different paths for the series. If it goes the "we're now living on this island and have to deal with that" and the whole premise is just a premise, then it's gonna suck. But if it actually has a story to tell and they continue developing on the premise it might turn out good. I fear it'll be the first one though.

It sounds like the premise for Outer Heaven to me. All a country really needs to have is a leader and some nukes right? Well, they have that sub with like 17 nukes in it and leader that knows how to use them. They got an island now and all they have to do is get rid of that asshole who thinks he owns it. Declare yourself a country and there you go.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Seppli

Just watched it, and I got that warm fuzzy Battlestar Galactica feeling from it, when I watched the Cylones destroy the colonies in its pilot/mini-series. Guess I'm a sucker for the nuclear holocaust.

Great stuff, highly recommended. Cherry-rig a couple of thousand Nielson boxes into a rating boosting daisy chain. I need this show to go on. I need it hard. Don't let it fail - America! Just don't.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EquitasInvictus

The premise was definitely intriguing and they've managed to squeeze a lot of plot and backstory into it that I really want to know more about now. Like what the SEALs ended up doing beforehand that seemed to set everything in motion. I say I don't watch TV anymore, but now I have a reason to go back.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By landon

Nice try, creator of Last Resort.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started watching a few minutes ago, and this is like maybe two steps above Syfy Original Movies™.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Fearbeard

Since it looks like a decent series I suspect it will be off the air within 5 weeks.