Obscure Music You'd Like More People To Hear

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mirado

In my circle of friends, I'm the guy that's always listening to something new. One week it's reggae, the next it can be downtempo acid jazz, and so on. I don't claim that gives me superior taste, but I often wind up sharing new tracks that I've heard with my friends who, for lack of a better word, listen to mainly "popular" music. That doesn't imply what they're listening to is shit, but just that if it isn't played on the radio, they probably haven't heard it. Very few of them have a desire to go out and dig up some more obscure stuff.

God, that came out way more pretentious than I was hoping.

Here's what I'm driving at: I've found a lot of smaller or little known bands that I would love for more people to hear. I know I'm not alone in that regard, and I bet that a fair amount of you have a certain favorite group that hasn't had a Top 100 hit, isn't getting (or never had) any radio airplay, and has never had a viral music video. If you were listening to one of your favorites, had someone go "oh that sounds awesome, what's their name?" and turned someone onto something new, this is the thread to share it.

I've got no power to enforce these following rules, but here's what I have in mind:

1. The band can't have a major Top 200 album or Top 100 hit in the US. Not because that makes them "too mainstream" or anything stupid like that, but it simply means it's probably easy enough to find. This is about stuff that you feel isn't getting the exposure that it should.
  2. Preferably little to no radio airplay. Simply for the reason above; if it's going out over the air, it's probably popular enough that it doesn't need your help to promote it.
  3. Keep in mind that this is shit you want other people to hear. I'm not going to ostracize anyone for their music taste (because mine is as weird as you can get, probably), but if you listen to something ironically or as a guilty pleasure, that's probably the wrong thing to choose for this thread. This is stuff you think is awesome, not stuff you know is crappy but you like it despite that. Just...use your own judgement.
  4. Since this is primarily an English language forum, feel free to suggest any non-English music that is popular where you are (or that you know is popular in its home country if you don't live there) but doesn't have a lot of western exposure. Chances are, you're in the minority here, and that trumps the first two categories. I'm always looking for non-English stuff to listen to, so as long as their success hasn't leaked over into western markets (for instance, Rammstein, as awesome as they are, is one of the biggest German bands to cross that barrier and probably doesn't need the extra push, as they hit the Top 200 in the US).

Really, I want this to be all about awesome, different music that deserves to be heard by more people. New or old, doesn't matter. And with that exposition out of the way, my first entry:

Grimy Styles

Grimy Styles has to be one of the most relaxing bands to listen to, period. The base is dub, but they blend in some crazy amounts of diversity, whether it's Middle Eastern, Afro pop, or American Soul. As an instrumental group, I find that my mind winds up drifting while listening to it, at least until they get into an uptempo kick and add a bit of whimsy back into things. It's not your typical reggae group, I'll say that much.

Enough talk, here's three of what I consider to be their best tracks.

This was the first track that I ever heard, accompanied by a Just Cause 2 clip of airplanes being tethered together, oddly enough. I think this is the most relaxing thing I have on my iPod at the moment, bar none. The guitar work feels light even as it goes into the solo, before drifting off for the remainder of the run-time.

Smokin' On the Deck (you'll have to excuse the Grooveshark link, Youtube doesn't have this in acceptable quality) - I absolutely love the bass line. It's also a good showcase of something with a bit more energy than "Sound Czech", although it's still pretty relaxing as is typical of most of their material.

Spectre (again, my apologies. We are dealing with fairly obscure bands, keep in mind) - This has some nice tempo changes to it, and some great drum work. Extensive use of a melodica, too, which you'll find runs through most of their music.

All of those tracks are off of their album called "Rewind", which you can find on iTunes here. Along with that, they have one other full length album called "Restoration of the Bathhouse". I don't know if they tour anymore, but they were primarily Austin, Texas based, which put them far out of my reach, unfortunately.

Anyway, that's the first band I'd like to share. I'm looking forward to seeing what hidden gems you all have been listening to; if this thread hooks one person on a new band, I'll be more than happy.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Best band in the world:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Anything I have posted as a YouTube link ever :P.

CrippleCaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrippleCaptain
leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By leinad44

This isn't the sort of music I normally listen to, I wouldn't call them my fav band or anything, but their music always puts in a good mood. This is a band that plays in my local pub regularly, fun music to drink cider to.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the Candyrat artists get less spotlight than they deserve (though there are the Andy McKees and Ewan Dobsons of the world). Most of their stuff is solo instrumental guitar, and anybody with an appreciation for composition and arrangement will adore at least parts of this. Better yet, it's just fantastic guitar music. Super relaxing after a long day, perfect for studying, and not too dense or heavy to become a chore to listen to.

Jimmy Wahlsteen (hybrid-picker with a lot of smooth jazz and 50's country influence):

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Sergio Altamura (experimental/avant-garde, toys around with effects/loops/sounds):

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for mattoncybertron
mattoncybertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

DerKuli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DerKuli

Tricot are probably one of my favourite bands of recent memory, both of their EP's are really good. I pretty much always recommend Don Cab to people in the hope someone else likes them, and a fairly similar band, Piglet, who were amazing!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaggE

Was just talking about them in another thread, so Abney Park immediately springs to mind. Not insanely obscure, but I'd be shocked if I ever heard them on the radio. They deserve some exposure, though.

Loading Video...

Dr. Steel also fits, although I've certainly hyped him up numerous times here already:

Loading Video...

Chiasm deserves a mention as well, although I'm sure many PC gamers are aware of at least one song of hers ("Isolated"), since it looped during installation of Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Her other music is well worth seeking out. Again, not super obscure, but not nearly as well-known as she should be.

Loading Video...

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would nominate Disco Ensemble, who I get my profile pic from:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE
Ok! Who brought the extension cord?
Ok! Who brought the extension cord?

In the Sahara and much of the middle-east, electric guitar is still king. The first video is Tuareg guitar that has no associated info (band, songs, whatever). Song number 2 is by Omar Korshid, so-called King of Guitar in the region. He was huge in 70s and 80s. Anyone interested in more can PM me, I don't want to flood this thread. @siroptimusprime Don't want to be presumptuous, but I saw you writing about guitar music, so maybe some of this is up your alley. There are lots of fantastic current individuals and groups worth checking out, like Group Doueh, Group Inerane, Omar Souleyman and Etran Finatawa.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: I want every bit of this. Toss me a PM with whatever artists/clips you can think of, especially if it fits in line with that first one you posted. I could listen to that style of music for hours.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to listen to the other posts here when I get home from work, but I'll just toss in mine right quick:

Loading Video...

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know if this matches the criteria, but this is the first thing that came to mind.

Loading Video...
Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chibithor

The Blue Method is alright. Also while not as obscure here, if you haven't heard the Frozen Synapse or Dustforce soundtracks, check em out. Other than that I don't have much, except Finnish music I guess.

Loading Video...

Not obscure in Finland (I think the most views a Finnish music video has gotten is around 10mil) but I don't think it's known elsewhere.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

Honestly, I wish I knew more people who listened to jazz. Lots of folks seem to recognize it as an art form and appreciate it on that level, but those who listen for enjoyment don't seem to travel the same pathways I do, I guess. I understand that a lot of what I prefer is 50 or 60 years old, and that may turn some people off. I think it's timeless. On the same note, though I'll be the first to admit I don't know enough about modern jazz to speak with any authority. I wish I did, but - and this is what scares off the uninitiated - it's a huge genre and where to begin is daunting.

If I was going to recommend a band that more casual listeners would probably like it would be The Thrill, a Japanese jazz-funk band that has been around since the 90's. I'm not sure how many albums they have out. I've only been able to track down 6 or 7, but I know there are more not counting the Blue Submarine 6 soundtrack stuff. There music is hot, fast and full. It may lack some of the intricacies of the "jazz masters", but its exploding with energy. The best word to describe it is fun. It's just damn fun.

Loading Video...

If you choose to listen to the embedded track, be sure you check out the sax solo at 4:40. She's amazing.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm going to recommend Tunguska Electronic Music Society.

Basically they are a collection of independent artists, all of their albums are released under the Tunguska name and each is a collection of different artists rather than a single musician filling up an entire album, if you see what I mean. Due the way they release stuff however, some of their stuff can be hit-and-miss, sometimes even within a single album.

But the great thing is, everything they put out is royalty free (for non-commercial) so I download everything and create my own collections to put on my MP3 player.

The best thing they've put out in my opinion is an album called Siberian Jungle Vol. 1 (Vol. 2 and 3 aren't quite as good and I haven't listened to Vol. 4 yet)

Here is a sample of their stuff (most of it is in this style)

Loading Video...

I highly recommend that website Jamendo as well, it's full of surprisingly great royalty free music

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Hoba Hoba Spirit from Morocco.

Loading Video...

The Kominas from Pakistan. The song takes a while to get started but once it does you Sex Pistols fans should find it familiar.

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Loading Video...

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

heres a new song i made , just last nite infact , started as a complete failure and just messing around , became something else entirely by the end.

and another one , strange thing that just flowed outta me after extended gaming sessions of proteus and knytt underground

not that i feel i deserve any exposure , i sorta get off on mainly making music for myself. just this is definately obscure :)

Caustic_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Caustic_Fox
Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serhulse: I know that exact feeling, as most of my jazz collection stems from the same period as yours (in and around the 50s). I'm also lacking in modern jazz knowledge; if you find any other examples of little known modern artists that could be of help to the uninitiated, keep chucking them in this thread. I'd appreciate it, at least. :D

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By stonyman65

(YouTube spam incoming)

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Modern Synthpop done right. They toured with LCD SoundSystem. Holy Ghost!

Loading Video...

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShockD

I don't always listen to chaos cyber black metal, but when I do it's grupa Illidiance.

Loading Video...

Honestly, thought, I don't think it's chaotic nor black; just good.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Luis Alberto Spinetta is one the greatest singer-songwriters of all time, and one of the most underrated outside Latin America.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kortex

dat bass -- HUMANS

Loading Video...

can't wait for the new album in may -- CRYSTAL FIGHTERS

Loading Video...

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kortex
drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: For some modern jazz check out Christian Scott, Portico Quartet, Brad Mehldau, The Bad Plus and BADBADNOTGOOD (who have some big hip-hop influence).

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Buble
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

A little old viking metal for you.

Loading Video...

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This guy does really chill mashups of Disney sounds, but he may not qualify as I think he's at least a little well known;

Loading Video...

This is also an actor know for doing Tom Cruise parodies; again, maybe a little too well known;

Loading Video...

And to really change things up; these guys are not only a great band, they amazing live. Like, one of the best live bands, full stop, so anyone in Melbourne, check them the fuck out. The Darts

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

These dudes are pretty groovy.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a little niche genre called: Miami Bass Music. These tracks are originally meant to test out subwoofer speakers.

Techmaster P.E.B. - Computer Love

Bass Addiction - L.S.B.

I had a moment where I tried playing these on my laptop and was like "Hmm I don't get it, where's all the bass?" then I plug this into the NAD and wow the bass was simply too deep to register on the laptop in any form. Jeez. I can see why the album would come with a warning.

Kidable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kidable
Loading Video...

Picture this song, but as the last song in an album of 12 amazing other songs. It's such a nice comedown. Magical.

mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Intuition is a good rapper and Equalibrum is and equally good producer.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

I know someone already introduced a Can song earlier but I couldn't pass up this chance to show some copyright infringing trivia. Plus I dig the tune.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emprpngn

@super_machine: Ensiferum!

Man, this is hard. Apparently I listen to the musical equivalent of middleware... not underground, and not mainstream.

I think this mostly fits the bill. It's not on the radio.

Loading Video...

i_got_an_F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By i_got_an_F
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

lead_farmer

Forum Posts