Official Photoshop Assistance Thread

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bravetoaster

The title says it all. If you're having trouble with Photoshop, post here and (hopefully) someone will show us a tutorial. 

I'll start... 

If I paste a face on someone else's body, how can I adjust the skin color of the face so it matches the body? The Eyedropper Tool didn't work for me. I couldn't get the perfect match when I adjusted the R G B.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat
@Axxol: I'm not sure it's so simple. If you go to Image > Adjustments > Hue & saturation you can manually adjust the HSB values until the tones match up but you'll have to do that by sight. For more advanced control after that I use colour balance to adjust the colour of highlights, midtones and shadows.
easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By easthill

Levels and Curves - preferably as adjustments layers, so you can go back if you fuck it up.      
Mess around with the Reds/Greens/RGBs.

No Caption Provided
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bravetoaster
@easthill: Like I stated in the OP, I couldn't get a good match while adjusting the RGBs. 
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Make sure you have the face layer selected, then play around in Image>Adjustments. If it still doesn't do the job you can try playing around with new layers with different blending modes or you can try playing around with different opacities in the original face layer with the use of Layer>Layer Mask>Reveal All, and then using the brush tool (soft with black and white colour) with different opacity settings in the mask.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat
@billnyethesciencepie: Those are blend modes, and that would just blend the layers together. Wouldn't help match the skin tones.
ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ViciousReiven

For blending faces you can also change the opacity a little bit, just enough so the colors blend, and erase any details on the bottom layer that yu don't want bleeding through.

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By easthill
@Axxol: With Curves? (Image > Adjustments > Curves...)
I've never not been able to match skin tones with curves. Make sure to use all the different channels (Red, Green, Blue, RGB). I thought you spoke about the eyedropper tool in your first post? 
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bravetoaster
@easthill said:
" @Axxol: With Curves? (Image > Adjustments > Curves...)I've never not been able to match skin tones with curves. Make sure to use all the different channels (Red, Green, Blue, RGB). I thought you spoke about the eyedropper tool in your first post?  "
I spoke of the Eyedropper tool and RGBs. 
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zeforgotten

I used to spend a lot of time on Good-Tutorials and just searched for stuff it really helped me out a lot back in the day. 
But this seems like a cool idea too if it at least gets going well and gets a sticky so it's easier to find 

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Sin4profit
@Axxol: you should give an example of what yer working on. it's easier to let people try and tell you what they did then it is to pull one method out of the blue...there are a lot of ways to do it that probably involve multiple steps.
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bravetoaster
@Sin4profit said:
" @Axxol: you should give an example of what yer working on. it's easier to let people try and tell you what they did then it is to pull one method out of the blue...there are a lot of ways to do it that probably involve multiple steps. "

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Sin4profit
@Axxol: I don't usually do this kind of thing so you can probably get better tips from others but here's how i went about it. 

Select the area to cover - Create a layer mask and add Gaussian blur (that'll blend the images)
 Select the area to cover - Create a layer mask and add Gaussian blur (that'll blend the images)

Add the replacement + mask layer on top, unlink the mask from the image, make proportional adjustments
Add the replacement + mask layer on top, unlink the mask from the image, make proportional adjustments

Adjustments - Match Color - check neutralize
 Adjustments - Match Color - check neutralize
You can tweek the top layer to get the shadows to blend better but i think this'll be a good place to start from.
diabloshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By diabloshadow

I guess this would be an appropriate place to ask ; I downloaded GIMP cause I didn't wanna download a crack of photoshop and go through some long process to get it to work, so far its ok I guess, its not very easy to use but I guess that is the nature of programs like this. My question is which is better and does is it worth getting a copy of PS over GIMP? 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By melcene

Kind of along the same vein as the question above... how do people get photoshop these days? 

I had gotten it probably near ten years ago off whatever that predecessor to Kazaa was.  Several computers and a couple hard drives later, I no longer have my cracked photoshop.  It looks like photoshop is still as expensive now as it was back then.  But now there's this Photoshop Elements thing....

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By super_machine

I've beem photo shopping since 1996. My way of learning was to photoshop Cindy Crawford's head onto random naked chicks I found on the internet. This was way before google, so this took some considerable skill to pull off.

Here is an old PS image I made.

No Caption Provided
B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By B0nd07
@melcene said:
" Kind of along the same vein as the question above... how do people get photoshop these days?  ...  It looks like photoshop is still as expensive now as it was back then.  ... "
Get one and keep using it.  I'm still using CS2.  Just because a new version came out doesn't mean you can't keep using an old one.  If you look around, you could probably find an older version for cheap.

Or you could use a less-than-legal method if you really want.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Does anybody know how to make some good blood splatter?

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By B0nd07
@wasteguru: There are custom brushes out there that you can use.  It's much easier than trying to make your own.

I can't remember where I got mine, but I think it's called Spazz Splatter (or something like that).

[Edit] Ah, here we go.  Download is on the top-right.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

anybody have any tips on making textures? the only one that i know how to make from playing around is metal. i think it's pretty cool.