One and Done movies

• 79 results
Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Somehow Harry Brown is one of the only movies i can't try watching again, because the whole movie feels so threatening and depressing.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grave of the fireflies

Just thinking about that movie sends me into a funk.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

@rvone said:

@sarahsdad said:

@rvone said:

I watch Schindler's List every year. I listen to the soundtrack at least once a month.

Not to derail the thread too much, but any particular reason why it's on a regular re-watch?

Because it's one of the most impressive movies I know of and it is quite possibly Liam Neeson's very best performance he's ever done.

Makes sense; it was a quality piece of work. I think it's that I can't separate and enjoy the quality of the film from the history it drew on.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rvone said:

@sarahsdad said:

@rvone said:

I watch Schindler's List every year. I listen to the soundtrack at least once a month.

Not to derail the thread too much, but any particular reason why it's on a regular re-watch?

Because it's one of the most impressive movies I know of and it is quite possibly Liam Neeson's very best performance he's ever done.

Makes sense; it was a quality piece of work. I think it's that I can't separate and enjoy the quality of the film from the history it drew on.

Neither can I. My country was occupied by the Nazi regime. I don't necessarily enjoy the film, per se, but am just thoroughly moved by it. Again and again and again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll probably never fully pay attention to Grave of the Fireflies or Schindler's List again. Both great movies, both should be viewed by practically everyone, but they're both pretty heart-wrenching.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@markwahlberg said:

Besides the one's that have already been mentioned, probably Battle Royale? It's really interesting but it's also just super weird and depressing.

@christoffer said:

There's a couple thick and slow paced thrillers from the 60-70th that I hold very near and dear to my heart, but that I can't seem to be able to enjoy again. French Connection, Marathon Man, The Conversation, Taxi Driver etc. I've tried to watch them again but stopped because I couldn't get into them, as if I watched it just for an academic purpose instead of just sinking into the plot. Truly sad.

The Conversation is one of the strongest movie memories I have. Don't really know why, it's incredibly slow.

The Conversation is the only one of those I'd describe as slow-paced, but yeah. Very memorable in a fever-dreamy sort of way, but not something I'd want to sit through again anytime soon. Have you seen the French Connection II? Seems like a weird thing to make a sequel to, but it's actually pretty good.

Oh yeah, I've seen it but I can't remember a lot of it. Wasn't it almost exactly like the first one but they caught they guy in the end.

...Sort of? I mean, it didn't feel like a complete rehash or anything, but it is kiiind of similar territory, since it's the same cartel he's dealing with. They take it in some interesting directions though, I think.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By frymillstrum

I rewatched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind for about the 10th time about 4 days ago. It is such a rewatchable film. Heartbreaking and amazingly crafted.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@shagge said:

Eraserhead. I've actually watched it multiple times (it's my favorite David Lynch film), but I wish I hadn't. I wish I had only watched it once, and let it become more and more dreamlike in my memory. Now I feel like I know it too well, and familiarity removes some of what made it so great: the disorientation and vague sense of fear and disgust.

Same goes for Jan Svankmajer's Alice.

Came here to say Eraserhead... god, what a film.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm pretty sure this topic is Lars Von Trier's bread and butter.

The dude is a talented filmmaker, but holy shit can I not sit through his movies more than once. If I even make it to the credits.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jaqen_hghar: @jazz_bcaz: @red: @me3639:

@leebmx said:

said:

@ajamafalous:

Eternal Sunshine.

@marcsman said:

Reservoir Dogs

Would love to hear the reasoning behind these two. I have seen them both several times and they never lose their interest.

I keep thinking I should watch Leaving Las Vegas again, but keep not being able to, so that would probably be my pick. That and anything with a really huge twist. I can't imagine feeling the need to watch Tinker,Tailor etc again.

OP didn't say anything about 'losing interest,' he listed movies that he said were too depressing or disturbing to rewatch. I really liked Eternal Sunshine, but I thought it was super depressing in a way that I could personally relate to. I saw a lot of one of my previous relationships in it, which makes me never want to watch it again.

Yep, not very well expressed on my part, I just meant these two movies stand up to repeated viewing as well as not being depressing or hard to watch.

I was just surprised because at most I consider ESOTSM to be bittersweet, and personally I find it heartwarming, the characters are charming and funny (Kate Winslet is just amazing) and I like the way it manages to show what a wonderful thing romantic love can be while also not being scared to show how much it can hurt and how we are prepared to lie to ourselves in search of the romantic dream.

However if it stirs up painful memories for you that is a perfectly understandable reason why you wouldn't want to watch it again, no matter how good it is. I was just very curious how someone could have such an strong reaction to a film I find so appealing. Thanks for explaining.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg said:

@christoffer said:

There's a couple thick and slow paced thrillers from the 60-70th that I hold very near and dear to my heart, but that I can't seem to be able to enjoy again. French Connection, Marathon Man, The Conversation, Taxi Driver etc. I've tried to watch them again but stopped because I couldn't get into them, as if I watched it just for an academic purpose instead of just sinking into the plot. Truly sad.

The Conversation is one of the strongest movie memories I have. Don't really know why, it's incredibly slow.

The Conversation is the only one of those I'd describe as slow-paced, but yeah. Very memorable in a fever-dreamy sort of way, but not something I'd want to sit through again anytime soon. Have you seen the French Connection II? Seems like a weird thing to make a sequel to, but it's actually pretty good.

Oh man, The Conversation is just such an amazing film. It is one of those films which just feels perfect in that it achieves exactly what it sets out to do. I understand why you might not want to watch it again, because it is not exactly a thrill a minute, and this maybe isn't helped by the fact that it has all the trappings of a thriller but is really an intense, paranoid character study.

It is a shame you can't get back into the films of that period, I think it is my favourite era of American filmmaking. Taxi Driver, The Conversation and Chinatown must be 3 of my favourite films of all time and there are just boatloads of other expressive, individual pictures which feel like a real expression of an artists vision, rather than a studio's idea how to make a profit.

I suppose it doesn't help that many of the films of that period are very bleak, cynical and paranoid. I suppose this was all influenced by the political climate in the US at the time, with the Vietnam War, Watergate and then end of the optimism and idealism of the 60's. The Conversation seems like a real reaction to Watergate especially.

Also it was the decade where Gene Hackman ruled and I just love that guy...

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure this topic is Lars Von Trier's bread and butter.

The dude is a talented filmmaker, but holy shit can I not sit through his movies more than once. If I even make it to the credits.

Good call. I'll probably never watch Antichrist again.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Pianist is probably on that list. Really really good but super depressing. The Nazi's throwing a wheelchair bound grandpa off a balcony in front of his family is a scene that's probably always gonna be in my brain and really bums me out when I remember it. Also the Nazi officer who saved the main character dying in prison ultimately was a depressing cap on the movie.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

The Pianist is probably on that list. Really really good but super depressing. The Nazi's throwing a wheelchair bound grandpa off a balcony in front of his family is a scene that's probably always gonna be in my brain and really bums me out when I remember it. Also the Nazi officer who saved the main character dying in prison ultimately was a depressing cap on the movie.

I actually enjoy the Pianist and watch it several times a year. It helps remind me to have faith in humankind even in some of the most dreary of events. One of my all-time favorite films even though it's directed by one of the worst people of all time, Roman Polanski.

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jazz_Bcaz

Addressing the Eternal Sunshine thing, that's odd to me that you feel that way but I guess it's one of those films that can swing either way. Personally I found it oddly optimistic due to Joel kind of redeeming himself and changing his mind. Of course, the tragedy is that it's too late but still. The darkest part of that film to me is just the premise.

On topic, The Act of Killing has just come to mind, but I also consider it essential viewing. On a side note, Werner Herzog says some of the most profound things (to me) in this interview. "Facts, per se, do not constitute truth" Hear hear.

Loading Video...

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

the Road has Nick Cave music, therefor it's perfect. If you like the road check out Proposition same director Nick Cave writing. It's fucking brutal film, but interesting and dark.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@everyones_a_critic said:

@nightriff said:

The Audition, god that throw up scene....still haunts me

I just googled that scene and yeah, that's fucking gross.

WHY DID YOU DO THAT?! DON'T DO THAT!

Argh, you peaked my curiosity and now I feel sick.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By SomeDeliCook

For me, its the entire Star Wars (1-6) and Lord of the Rings series I watched once and am satisfied. I still might watch a podrace scene or a death star run here and there, but I doubt I'll ever watch any of those movies in their full run time again.

And no, it's not they are essentially trilogies where each movie is several hours long, I'll watch all the Pirates of the Caribbean (yes all 4) movies at least once a year. Same for all the Marvel hero movies and the Dark Knight trilogy.

Also, for a specific single movie, one that comes to mind is Pacific Rim. I liked it, it was a cool movie to watch with my dad (and no one else in the family, it is rare this ever happens) but I don't want to ever see it again. Too many things annoyed me about it that it'll ruin what I like to remember about it

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@nightriff said:

@nightriff said:

Hey don't blame you illness on me, warning everyone is all I can do from here. Seeing the scene out of context must be even weirder for people….not like seeing it in context helps or anything.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By supermonkey122

The Wolf Of Wall Street. Great movie, but too long to ever watch again.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sunbrozak said:

@nightriff said:

@nightriff said:

Hey don't blame you illness on me, warning everyone is all I can do from here. Seeing the scene out of context must be even weirder for people….not like seeing it in context helps or anything.

I thought I could handle it. Apparently not.

I was actually going to watch the film at one point, but if that's the "highlight" of the film, I might give it a pass.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mysterious Skin. One of Joseph Gordon Levitt's earlier films, and it is absolutely harrowing (it's about two boys who were sexually abused as kids, and the ways the experience affects them). One of those films where you're just left totally numb by the end of it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I thought I could handle it. Apparently not.

I was actually going to watch the film at one point, but if that's the "highlight" of the film, I might give it a pass.

I remember it being a pretty good horror/thriller film. But that is the only scene I remember from watching it 8 years ago. And now you can see why it is the scene I remember.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Addressing the Eternal Sunshine thing, that's odd to me that you feel that way but I guess it's one of those films that can swing either way. Personally I found it oddly optimistic due to Joel kind of redeeming himself and changing his mind. Of course, the tragedy is that it's too late but still. The darkest part of that film to me is just the premise.

On topic, The Act of Killing has just come to mind, but I also consider it essential viewing. On a side note, Werner Herzog says some of the most profound things (to me) in this interview. "Facts, per se, do not constitute truth" Hear hear.

Loading Video...

Fascinating film, totally forgot that one till the reminder right now. I think that film is a perfect example that fits the topic of the op.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By damodar

I think I'd only consider a movie one-and-done if I thought it was bad.

If a movie is highly disturbing but worthwhile, I would absolutely watch it again if I think I could get more out of it for a repeated viewing. Yeah Oldboy throws real dark in parts, but I think it's also an incredibly beautiful film in a lot of ways and just a mesmerising piece of filmmaking. Fantastic score, too. Yeah, Audition gets messed up, but it's not schlock trash, there's actually something going on there worth thinking about and thus I think it merits at least a second viewing and some effort at an interpretation.

All this thread is doing is making me think that I should watch I Saw The Devil again. That movie is pretty rough, but holy shit, I'd struggle to think of a movie that had me on the edge of my seat more and it was still super thrilling and tense on second viewing.

All that being said, if there's one movie that comes to mind as one that I think very highly of that I'd maybe be hesitant to revisit, it's Dancer In The Dark. I can handle disturbing pretty well, but that movie is just really depressing, I'd be feeling it all day. I don't really love the way Von Trier shot it, but Björk's performance is rather amazing and I think it's otherwise categorically a pretty fantastic film, but OH BOY it's a bummer!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think emotionally resonant movies, including those that resonate with sad-emotions, will probably impact you differently at different times in your life - and for that reason, if they're good, are worth rewatching.

One and done movies, to me, are bad and mediocre ones (unless they're like, wonderfully bad, of course).

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty much the case for all movies I see nowadays. No interest whatsoever in repeat viewings.