PS3 + monitor = no sound help!!

Bluth_Nebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bluth_Nebula

I just got a 1080p computer monitor and was trying to hook up my PS3 for some HD goodness so I got an HDMI to DVI cable and plugged them both in. Looks great but the only problem is I can't get any sound - I realise I should have seen this problem coming but the monitor only has a power cable, a DVI input and a VGA input, so no headphone jack or anything. No internal speakers either.  

Maybe there's some simple solution that I'm missing but  anyone have any ideas about how I could get some sound going, perhaps by plugging something into the PS3's USB or something? Uncharted 2 is just not the same on mute! Thanks

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Pazy

Dvi and VGA only support video (Digital Visual Interface and Video Graphics Array) so you will need to get audio into a set of speakers or headphones. I have a slim so it can output on multiple audio/video outputs so I have an HDMI going to my TV and a composite cable which gets converted to a male 3.5" headphone jack to connect to my Hifi (so I can use it as a music player while I play other systems). If you have a slim thats a good option, other wise you will need to get a composite output (YPbPr) and convert that to something else (like male/female headphone jack) and then convert the video to something else for your moniter.

I cant think of a more elegant solution (or even if composite can be converted to DVI) so perhaps someone else can give you more exact details.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

Return the computer monitor and buy a TV with speakers.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat

I've got my 360 (and back when I had my PS3, it too was) hooked up to my computer monitor via component-to-VGA adapter. That allowed me to use the RCA audio (red and white) to plug into my stereo's auxiliary port, and from there I plugged in headphones. If you can get sound through the RCA port you should try hooking it up to an RCA audio-in.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I had this problem a couple of years back. You can split the system's outputs so the PS3 will send video through HDMI and sound through RCA; just plug the RCA red/white cables into a stereo or speaker setup.

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

DVI is video. You need an optical cable or regular sound cables. HDMI is a DVI/optical mash-up.

Bluth_Nebula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bluth_Nebula

Awesome, plugged in the Red and White to some speakers I found, works great. Thanks guys