Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Milkman

@FinalDasa said:

@iAmJohn: Called me out on a separate site? I only edited his post because it got flagged and was a disrespectful tone. Your post was never edited and I only asked you to be nice. You can dissent and disagree all you want. Only saying "get lost" or "fuck off" isn't furthering a discussion, a debate, or any thoughts you have on the subject.

I understand it's your job to keep the peace over and I respect that. I don't take any of it personally and I hope you don't take it personally either. The comment obviously wasn't my finest moment but I was (and still remain) angry about this whole thing. I get why the posted got edited but I still stand by it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By Marz

Felt Screened was done when Alex left to live in New York, hope Rorie goes somewhere that uses his great talents.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Azteck

Aw that's sad news. I really hope he finds something really awesome to do now when Screened is over ('cause let's face it, it is). Lots of love to ya, Rorie.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By iamjohn

@FinalDasa said:

@iAmJohn: Called me out on a separate site? I only edited his post because it got flagged and was a disrespectful tone. Your post was never edited and I only asked you to be nice. You can dissent and disagree all you want. Only saying "get lost" or "fuck off" isn't furthering a discussion, a debate, or any thoughts you have on the subject.

Honestly, you can think the worst of me for this if you want but I thought it would be better than getting into a fight in the Screened comments, and wasn't even going to bring it up until I saw people talking about the Milkman post in this thread. Also, I did already point out that I just got a slap on the wrist in this thread, but it's in a different post so whatever. My problem is more along the lines of I don't understand why it feel like you guys are singling out the comments that take issue with the fact that BermanBraun has spent the past couple weeks pretending Screened didn't exist while not even allowing Rorie to comment on the situation and fill us in on the site's future, even though he's seemingly known for weeks, based on when his Tumblr posts were published, and aren't too pleased to see what they have in mind for the site after how they've treated it since the sale. Maybe that's what we needed to say, maybe other people in the comments have said that and not been called out for it and if you think I'm being unfair here, then I'm sorry. But in what I've seen of the comments in the BermanBraun post, it seems like the only people getting special attention are the ones voicing anything but satisfaction with it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#105  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@Milkman: Not at all personal. I still think you're an awesome member of the community and hope you stick around on Screened (if not I'll see around here I'm sure). I understand the frustration, I'm still reeling and worried about it all.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#106  Edited By Enigma777

RIP Screened

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, everyone kinda figured that Rorie wasn't going to be there for much longer anyhow. I hope he finds some good work somewhere.

Floope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By Floope

@IndeedCodyBrown said:

GB needs Rorie.

But I do wonder, did giant bomb even want Rorie :(

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#109  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@iAmJohn: I'd just have preferred a PM on Screened if you had a problem or concern about how I handled a situation with you or any other user. I did just see that other post, so sorry if I came down too hard on that. I understand the BB concerns and issues, but only a few people know what really happened and we can't judge another person's decisions and choices without knowing the circumstances surrounding it. Also, I don't think the worst of you and quickly learned awhile back not to take any of this personally. You're still good in my book.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By iamjohn

@FinalDasa: Cool. Sorry again; it was pretty uncouth of me to bring this out into the open.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#111  Edited By Kidavenger

wonder who controls the screenedpups account, that could turn into a big shitstorm

jpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By jpe

Sad news for Screened. Look forward to seeing what Matt does next.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By Winternet

Yeah, kinda seemed that was going to be that way. I was secretly hoping though that Screened went the animevice-route and stayed without editors. Oh well, guess there's one less website for me to go in my daily routine.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By SpaceRunaway

It's really sad, but not really any sadder than Rorie being left all by himself. I hope he finds something that he 's happy doing, and I hope it's a place with public exposure so I can continue to follow his work. The man is a goddamn wordsmith.

At the very least, I hope he shows up for some cameo appearances around the GB offices. It has been shown that good things happen to unemployed people when they guest on the Bombcast.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#115  Edited By MikeFightNight

To be perfectly honest, I never went to Screened in the first place. Tested was the only other Whiskey site I frequented regularly, and their podcast was/still is great. I hope all works out for Rorie, I loved is Dark Souls article on GB. I wish you the best duder.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#116  Edited By Bumpton

What a bummer! I used to read every review he and Alex put out. I'm not the biggest movie buff in the world but my gf and I see a ton and I felt I always knew what to expect thanks to them. I noticed that since GB was bought the number of reviews on Screened dropped dramatically, but I kept waiting for them to pick it back up and keep going...

I hope he lands another position reviewing movies or something because I really liked his work. And I also hope Screened gets some decent editors in there...

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By MiniPato

That really sucks. But I can understand why he would leave. No one he knows is around. Alex left for good and the office isn't around anymore so he can't really go there to meet the Giant Bomb dudes, Tested dudes, or any familiar face. Really seems like he's been left on his own and I certainly wouldn't feel like sticking around in that situation.

He will be missed and I hope he does well for himself. Maybe we'll see him on Giant Bomb when the next Souls game hits. Who knows!

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By emergency

If I could have one thing for my Birthday it would be Matthew Rorie at Giantbomb. Dude was always great and his writing is awesome too boot.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#119  Edited By Sooperspy

This sucks. I didn't go to Screened everyday but I would watch every feature. Still hope Rorie comes to GB.

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By blacklab

Hopefully they can get him on at GB.

darthvader300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By darthvader300

that's shame, he was pretty much only good part screend

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whiskey Media might be proud of their wiki, community and whatnot, but the sites all made it because of the people behind them. This might not be the actual end of screened, but I see no reason to go back there now. This does make me kind of sad, I'm just realizing now that I've been watching a lot more movies since screened launched 2 years ago.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By alternate

@WinterSnowblind said:

@alternate said:

Seems a little partisan to assume he got the shaft. He says he is choosing to leave, BB says he chose to leave. Sure they could have offered him a better severance for doing so but there are many other posibilities. Perhaps they are moving to LA, which makes sense for an entertainment site and it is where BB does business.. Perhaps he wad offered a new position but jnr to new editors and he didn't fancy the demotion on what was essentially his site. Who knows. Either way Good Luck to him in the future.

I think it's more the fact that Giantbomb, Comic Vine and Tested got bought up, where as Screened was just left aside, with no one really caring. He wasn't asked to leave, but it's very obvious why he chose to.

You assume it is obvious. You might be right but nobody knows the facts. BB are making big noise about properly funding Screened and only time will tell.

@Napalm said:

as the reason why Alex and Matt started up Screened was because they got to work with their old co-workers on the other Whiskey Media sites

I think the main reason is both got laid off and needed a pay cheque. Which they both got for 2 years - so Rorie at least got that out of it.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, I got all my movie reviews from Screened....  Now that Rorie's gone I doubt Ill check that site ever again.  Its a shame.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By GreggD

@alternate I'm pretty sure they left, because they felt it was time for a change. PR is a hard business.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#126  Edited By TheHBK

Thanks a lot Alex. Abandoning a friend like that.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By alternate

@GreggD said:

@alternate I'm pretty sure they left, because they felt it was time for a change. PR is a hard business.

err no, they both got the layoff. They were quite public about it.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#128  Edited By Black_Rose

Reading this thread makes me remember why I rarely come here anymore and why the Screened community is so awesome.

Anyway, as long as BB respect the hard work Rorie put into that site and keeps making it as awesome if not more than he made it and the communitty stays then Screened will remain the coolest place for online movie conversation. I'm sure Rorie will do well in the future, he is a talented writer and a really fun personality.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#129  Edited By yetiantics

They denied me of puppies. I will no longer go to the site.

De-Bookmarked-thing-orhoweveryousayit...

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By coakroach

So I guess Screened is dead to me now, thats a shame.

On the bright side this will give him time to start an Alpha Protocol 2 kickstarter...right?

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By mrcraggle

Such a shame to see Rorie leave. I hope he continues to work on writing and producing videos as I really enjoyed reading his reviews and watching the video features. I'll still keep an eye on screened to see how things change there as Tested turned out fine but Will and Norm are still there but I hope BB can keep what everyone at Screened along with the community built up without throwing it all away.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've longed missed Rories presence since the Happy Hour stopped, like a lot of people are saying there's no real reason to stick with Screened any more, not out of a petty 'boo to change' sort of way but just that all these sites are/were based these personalities, Screened may as well be a totally different site now, I hope it does well though. Ramble on lil' Rorie...

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#133  Edited By rorie

Thanks for all the kind wishes, guys. I'm sure I'll land somewhere fun!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DougQuaid

@Demoskinos said:

So basically theres zero reason to go to screened then.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#135  Edited By Legend

@Rorie said:

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#136  Edited By csl316

Oh shit. I don't blame him because of the sheer pressure of holding up a site singlehanded... but Rorie will be missed.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Aus_azn

I think the only remaining Whiskey editors on the BB side are Will and Norm.

AnimeVice hasn't had a real editing staff for a while, and Screened's last just departed.

For once, it looks like CBSi is doing the more painless transition.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Capum15

I scanned all the comments, mostly looking at the pictures, while listening to that Faith of the Heart song play.

It's pretty good.

Farewell to Mr. Rorie, have a good one.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By SaFt

I'm going to miss all his fantastic videos.

Let's hope he ends up somewhere good.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By ShaneDev

Good luck Rorie. I do kinda want to see what the new screened will be like though. Rorie should be on the bombcast also.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#141  Edited By NoobSauceG7

It's a shame cause he is truly a great guy and a great writer/critic. I hope he considers coming to Giant Bomb or something.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#142  Edited By Yanngc33

Can't say I'm surprised

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By korwin

@Rorie said:

Handsome man like you doesn't need to starve...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By stonyman65

I really hope the guys bring Rorie on. It's not the same around here without the Boss of Bosses.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#145  Edited By myke_tuna
@Stonyman65 said:

I really hope the guys bring Rorie on. It's not the same around here without the Boss of Bosses.

If they ever do, he should just appear during a TNT and have the nWo theme in the background while a blend of youtube puppy videos and Emma Stone movie clips plays behind him on the green screen.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#146  Edited By ThePickle

@Demoskinos said:

Hate to say it, but this.

The community has been dead for ages. I've done all I care to do on the wiki. There are better sites for film news, which I really don't care about anyways. There are better sites for trailers. It was Matt and Alex that kept me there.

This whole thing seems super shady too. Rorie kept saying things like "I'll have an announcement soon." He's not saying what he's leaving for, or why he's leaving in the first place. Out of all the short sticks that have been handed out to Whiskey Media employees over the past month, Matt got the shortest stick there is. Tested: a close second.

Talk about getting the fucking shaft: Tested gets a complete "makeover" to include less functionality and put two guys who have done nothing to the site in the spotlight and Screened losses two of its two editors. Anime Vice is still chugging along though, like Mac's dog in Always Sunny.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Deusx

I can't help but feel kind of mad because this may all be Giant Bomb and Tested's fault. After all, it was their desition to move to CBS and split the fan base... Again, I may be completely wrong. I'm just sad because without him, Screened is not the same. IT'S BEEN A LOOOOONG ROOOAAD!

abacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By abacus

Really talented writer. I'm sure he will land somewhere awesome. Then do awesome stuff... awesomely.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#149  Edited By wrighteous86

@ThePickle said:

@Demoskinos said:

Hate to say it, but this.

The community has been dead for ages. I've done all I care to do on the wiki. There are better sites for film news, which I really don't care about anyways. There are better sites for trailers. It was Matt and Alex that kept me there.

This whole thing seems super shady too. Rorie kept saying things like "I'll have an announcement soon." He's not saying what he's leaving for, or why he's leaving in the first place. Out of all the short sticks that have been handed out to Whiskey Media employees over the past month, Matt got the shortest stick there is. Tested: a close second.

Talk about getting the fucking shaft: Tested gets a complete "makeover" to include less functionality and put two guys who have done nothing to the site in the spotlight and Screened losses two of its two editors. Anime Vice is still chugging along though, like Mac's dog in Always Sunny.

What's a good site or podcast stream for trailers? I loved getting all the new trailers on my iPhone through the Screened Member's Video Feed.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#150  Edited By Ben_H

@alternate said:

@GreggD said:

err no, they both got the layoff. They were quite public about it.

Wrong. Very wrong in fact. They both left the companies at their own will, they both emphasized that it was by their own will.

To quote Alex:

"So for those keeping score, yes, today is my last day at Harmonix. No, this is not a layoff thing, so bloggers holster your guns."

And for Rorie:

You'd be surprised - turnover at Obsid is actually really, really low compared to what you might expect.

Alas, I've been offered a job up in San Francisco that I could not pass up. I've had an amazing couple of years at Obsidian (for serious), and I'm really looking forward to seeing Alpha Protocol and F:NV hit shelves. In the end, though, I was given an opportunity to return to the city that I love living in, and I get to go back and work with some old friends of mine. It'll be weird, it'll be the first time I've worked outside the games industry since I got out of college, but it should be an interesting challenge. (And I'll finally get to say what I actually think about games for once!)

I'll swing by when we announce what I'm working on next and let you guys know.

Rorie's quote is from the Obsidian forum. 2 seconds of googling gets you both results. They weren't fired, they were offered a new opportunity and took it. Alex is still obviously on good terms with Harmonix given that he will be part of the GB Rock Band judge panel thingy during PAX.