• 157 results
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

Reading as a form of entertainment has fallen far to the wayside of such things as video games or movies, but entertaining they are none the less. I like to read books when I have the time and am not too lazy at the time. I think they are rather spectacular way of telling a story, and story is something I care alot about in my media. I myself need an actual book though, something like a nook or Kindle just doesn't feel the same as having paper in your hand; it is the same reason I don't like digital comics. I just finished up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter the other day and I would highly recomend it, and will have something to say about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies when I am finished with it as well. As a side note, I really like zombies even still.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

First!

Haha, just kidding. Eh, I'm still in school, and I'm an english major, so I end up reading quite a lot. Though, truthfully, I don't really read so much outside of school. Though, there's a short story series I think I'm gonna pick up.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I only read books if they're interesting. I never read books that I have to read for school. I have the internet for that.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Brunchies

I read books if they interest me, right now I'm reading the entire Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy series.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

I'd like to read more but I just haven't had the time. Well the last book I read was The Iliad but I had to for college work. It was good though but I think I prefer to read more humourous stuff. Ever read the Adrian Mole series? They're fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a healthy amount of read books in my bookcase. I only read a book if it REALLY interests me, which happens maybe once every 3 months.

Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SomethingClever

I read constantly.  I read at work on my breaks, at least a couple hours most every night and nearly all day Sundays.  I'll read just about anything I can get my hands on.  That's one of the reasons I picked up a Kindle DX recently.  However, I still have plenty of time for gaming too, and watching movies/tv.  I do a lot of multitasking though (reading while listening to a movie). 

I am loving my Kindle DX.  It sort of feels like a heavy magazine in my hand but reads like an actual piece of paper.  Pretty cool actually.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By swamplord666

I tend to read during the summer and holidays ALOT over 2 weeks at christmas I finished close to 6 books. But funnily enough, I stop reading completely come term time and instead sstudy and play vidja gaimz

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daveyo520
@natetodamax: Same 

@TheGreatGuero:
Ya, thats cause you have to. :P 
I guess I should have asked if you read for fun. 

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cap123

Whenever i go on holiday i take a book or two to read on the beach, or just for the evenings if i'm with my family. I really enjoy it but don't find the time for it outside of that.

The last book i read was The Grapes of Wrath and it was bloody marvelous.

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By v

I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov for my Dostoevsky class in school... Hopefully it will springboard my interest for reading for fun though

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By turboman

I never feel like I have the time to enjoy reading over gaming/watching movies or any other form of entertainment.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By C2C

I read in small bursts every once in a while.  Right now I am reading "Leviathan" by Scott Westerfeld.  Really interesting premise though, it being a children's book, is a tad bit light for my tastes.  Still a really good book nevertheless. 

SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SomethingClever
@Brunchies said:
" I read books if they interest me, right now I'm reading the entire Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy series. "
The Hitchhikers "trilogy" is fantastic.  Might I suggest Douglas Adams Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul (the sequel) as well.  Oh, and Last Chance to See is really good but it is more serious, Adams trying to set down some information about a bunch of species that were at the time nearly extinct.  Oh and The Meaning of Liff is great.  Frankly, anything by Douglass Adams is worth reading.  Great stuff all around.  
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520
@Phunk_King: IDK, I just really like having the feel of a real book in my hands and to actually turn the pages. It is going to sadden me when we will just have ebooks and paper backs will go the way of the newspapers.
@eroticfishcake:
I have not read/heard of them. What are they about?

SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SomethingClever
@Daveyo520 said:
" @Phunk_King: IDK, I just really like having the feel of a real book in my hands and to actually turn the pages. It is going to sadden me when we will just have ebooks and paper backs will go the way of the newspapers.
@eroticfishcake: I have not read/heard of them. What are they about?  "
In the future I can see ereaders replacing books (hell, they are kinder to trees if you are worried about that sort of thing) but I still do enjoy a book in hand.  This device is fantastic at allowing me to take my entire library with me everywhere I go (which includes scans of my The Walking Dead comics) and is wonderful for vacations.  But it still can't beat walking into a thrift store and picking up a dozen books for super cheap.  Plus you can't toss around a Kindle like you might a paperback.  This hasn't replaced actual books for me but it has supplemented them for me.  The DX is pretty pricey but the just shy of 10" screen was worth it for me.  With enough competition out there now I am figuring the prices should start coming down.  I never thought I would want an ereader myself until I played with my sister in laws Kindle 2 and then spent some time with a Nook at Barnes and Noble.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I read whatever I find interesting. I been wanting a good book for a while now...

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Evil_Alaska
@Brunchies: Best series every. Too bad Adams died young, would have loved to read some other works of his.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Daveyo520
@DuhQbnSiLo: Have you read World War Z? 

@Phunk_King:
Ya, I ment really down the line when they will be replaced but probably in my life time (maybe). The fact that you mentioned reading The Walking Dead on there has giving it a huge plus, God I love that comic, good thing it is black and white. You brought up another point on why I don't like them, I sooooo don't have the money to get one.
phragit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phragit

When I get adderall I read...a lot, very dense continental philosophical and political treatises at that...otherwise, fuck books, that shit makes your head hurt.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daveyo520
@phragit:
And treatises don't? :P
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Daveyo520:  The series is essentially a slice-of-life about a young boy living in the UK. It's written in a diary format and it's really funny and quirky. In the first book he's about 14 years old and then in the next one I think he's about 18 I think.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daveyo520
@eroticfishcake:
I am actually rather fond of stories that are fake diaries. Maybe I'll check it out next time I am in B&N.
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomethingClever
@Daveyo520: No kidding man, not cheap.  The smaller screen at $250 isn't too bad but it is only about 6".  That's actually just fine but I knew I was going to try to upload the comic scans and the 9.7" screen really was much better suited for that.  The cost of the DX is pretty much on par with an iPad and I nearly got one of those instead seeing as it has the Kindle and iReader apps.  After spending some time with one I decided it just wasn't quite right for me (a bit of eye strain that I knew would bother me).  Sure the iPad can do so much other stuff but all I wanted was a reader.  I really think the prices of these types of devices will come down and the technology is still getting figured out.  A mix between LCD and eink seems to be the future (think if iPad and Kindle had a baby). 

Speaking of the Walking Dead, issue 71 came out like this week and I don't have it yet.  And it is Free Comic Book Day!  Why am I not out there?  Well, real answer is because the comics on FCBD are sort of mostly garbage but there are always a few gems. 

Oh and World War Z is a great audio book if anyone is interested in taking it in that form.  Lots of 'real' actors (Alan freaking Alda man!).  It's pretty cool.
AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By AndrooD2
@Daveyo520 said:
" Reading as a form of entertainment has fallen far to the waste side of such things as video games or movies "

As someone with an English degree, it is my sworn duty to be a dick and correct you're writing. It's "wayside" not "waste side" unless of course it was your intention to make a play on words of some kind.

Since graduation I've read less and less. I recommend that you continue reading though. It's good for your brain.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daveyo520
@Phunk_King: I have 71 sitting in my room as we speak with Carl in a halloween costume. I will not read it however because my comic shop sells out all the time and I have to catch up from 67 first. I only saw one comic that interested me today that was free and i was some old issue of spider-man. That LCD Eink hybrid sounds like the nook, with its little LCD screen. I wouldn't mind having an iPad because it can do lots more than just read books.

@AndrooD2:

I always get that saying wrong... I was actually thinking if it was wayside or waste side when I wrote it, I swear. But I chose poorly. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Daveyo520:  It's quite "British" in the sense that you may or may not get some of the humour but like any other series, just go for the first book and see how you like it.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#28  Edited By Yummylee

Not as much as I should. Really picky with my books and it's down to me not finding a book that can keep hooked long enough, frankly.
DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DeShawn2ks
@Daveyo520:  I really like to read whenever I get the chance. I am actually going through World War Z again (I love this book). If you are big into zombie stuff I would recommend checking out this if you haven't yet and all the Walking Dead graphic novels. I don't really like his political views but I would also recommend the Tales of Alvin Maker series, The Ender Series, and the Ender Shadow series by Orson Scott Card.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kmdrkul

I bought Trick Baby and Pimp, both by Iceberg Slim, the other day.  Looking forward to reading those.

Toasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toasty

I would be pretty sad if we switched over completely to digital. I like the feeling of books and comics in my hands, I can't really focus otherwise.
 Making my way through the Discworld series right now, and some online comics. I had way better taste as a kid, heh, I made my way through alot of "classic" books. Stuff like Lord of the Flies and Watership Down, even though I didn't understand some of the deeper meanings. Now I have no patience... what happened to me?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Daveyo520
@eroticfishcake: Even though I'm a Yank, I still find British Humor pretty funny.

@DeShawn2ks:

I love World War Z too. Lol, I am havng a conversation about The Walking Dead in this very thread. :P It is by far by favorite comic. Ya, Orson Scott Card is really fucking nuts on his views, but that shouldn't affect what his books are about too much.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By RichardLOlson

No I can't read at all, I thought it said "Tickets to Mars".  So where is my ticket?  I would like to get on my rocket ship please.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Daveyo520
@RichardLOlson: I am sorry, but you must wait 5-7  business days for delivery.

@Toasty:

Ya, I really like actuall paper too, but I think with the Kindle and nook and people caring about trees it will happen.
Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm currently rereading a bunch of Lovecraft short stories.
And by currently I mean between posts on this forum at this moment.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Daveyo520
@odintal:
I have them, but have only gotten around to reading Dagon. I need to take care of that. He is the most famous author from my state after all. 
b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By b33

i'm reading this, does it count? 

i wish i could have more time to read something interesting, or playing games :( 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By JJOR64

I read manga every now and then.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I love reading, I just don't have the time for it these days. And I hate reading stuff on a screen, it's either a real book or not at all.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By tranquilchaos

I work in a book store.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By mrfizzy

i read a lot, by choice. i always have and always will. 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By apathylad

I don't read much for leisure lately. I used to read some comics and novels, but haven't had as much time. I did read the first three Dexter novels over the last winter break, though.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By evanbrau

I love to read, always have, its the best way to learn new stuff and my favourite form of entertainment. Just finished going back through Cormac McCarthys' body of work and am waiting on delivery of my copy of  "The First Casualty" which is a great history of war reporting.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm always reading something, maybe an hour or less a day but still. Maybe because I've never had (or not often) to read books for school 
I like reading, sometimes it's way better then video games or movies 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Griddler

I read this thread 0.0

Seriously though, yes I read.. I'm reading Shutter Island at the moment

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryoma122

i read manga if that counts i have a low attention span

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#47  Edited By KaosAngel

I will not lie, I did not read your original post...and just wanted to say that a lot of people don't have time to read stuff anymore.  >.>

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fflyash

I've been reading a lot since I started uni. I'm currently up to book 6 in the dark tower series.

SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SomethingClever
@Daveyo520: The new thing that I was reading about is a single screen that can do full LCD stuff but then can switch itself to pure eink.  I'm not sure about a mix at the same time.  But my point is, unlike the Nooks dual screens this is just one big screen.  Sort of neat. 

Argh, nearby shop was out of issue 71.  Called around to the roughly dozen or so other comic shops in town, everybody is out of issue 71.  Jerks.
6inchhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By 6inchhammer

I read to kill a mocking bird recently but that was a one off thing i don't see myself reading anything for  a while.