So does Leigh Alexander do nothing but criticize people?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By MikkaQ

@Garfield518 said:

@MikkaQ said:

I love Jaffe's comeback. “leighalexander: If I'd worked on twisted metal I'd just lie and say I didn't” I love the fact that you think you'd be qualified to do [so]"

Leigh's comment was pretty uncalled for. Sure, criticize the game, but don't insult the people who made it, that's just rude.

Actually, his full response was, "I love the fact that you think you'd be qualified to do anything other than critique and judge the hard work other folks do. It's important to have goals, so good on you Alex!"

Oh, I didn't understand the two-parter tweet. Still that comeback is even better.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By JasonR86

Something else from twitter I enjoyed.

Themiscyra WOW. That went from zero to misogynistic in...no, actually, about the amount of time I expected.

leighalexanderyeah. Basically I can't dislike certain games unless I want to field that

Good God.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Ares42

So, I went to check out the twitters... 8 tweets earlier than the supposed critique she tweeted "i'm making pancakes, poached eggs with hollandaise from scratch, roasted kale, turkey bacon, grilled avocado and bloody marys". Why is anyone paying attention to this ? Twitter is important shit!

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By artgarcrunkle

Twitter owns I love to read posts from attractive privileged white people who never learned to be thoughtful or were called out for saying dumb stuff :)

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By zeforgotten

Writes like one or two good articles in the span of 3 years, other than that she's more like that one chick who was voted "most likely to (hopefully) jump out the classroom window and hit the ground head first because of issues" in school 

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I can't bring myself to give a shit.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By chrissedoff

I think she said something along the lines of Hideo Kojima is an artistic genius on a bombcast so that was pretty dumb of her. But I agree with her on Twisted Metal. That game was trash.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Liam_mk

I don't know what the comment Leigh made was, BUT, I'm going to guess that she did not wish death upon the entire Twisted Metal staff (which is what I would assume from the reaction.) While she was at times annoying on the bombcast she seemed like a decent person and this is probably just another case of someone saying the first thing they thought of on Twitter and it being misinterpreted. Forgive and forget?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By mikemcn

She is most likely drunk, continually drunk seeing as she has been at it for hours, doesn't excuse her being a jerk.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By Shady

@Ares42 said:

So, I went to check out the twitters... 8 tweets earlier than the supposed critique she tweeted "i'm making pancakes, poached eggs with hollandaise from scratch, roasted kale, turkey bacon, grilled avocado and bloody marys". Why is anyone paying attention to this ? Twitter is important shit!

Well, it's good to know that even alcoholics can find work in this economy.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Liam_mk

@Mikemcn said:

She is most likely drunk, continually drunk seeing as she has been at it for hours, doesn't excuse her being a jerk.

Right after I posted after looking at her twitter I scrolled a bit down and I've come to a scientific conclusion.....

I still stand by my stance of forgive and forget, even if she did insult one of my favourite game developers in a dick way.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SomeScrub

@Animasta: Because gameloft makes nothing but absolute trash and games that only exist to confuse the market place?

My first and really only encounter with her is on the bomb cast and she ruined that whole fucking episode. She's not a troll, she's just obnoxious and self important.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mikemcn

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

Right after I posted after looking at her twitter I scrolled a bit down and I've come to a scientific conclusion.....

I still stand by my stance of forgive and forget, even if she did insult one of my favourite game developers in a dick way.

If only she were...

then she would challenge David Jaffe to a fight, he would win, and she'd have to surrender her title as one of the few female game journalists, and it would all be ok because it's David Jaffe and he can do that.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By greennoodles

@Liam_mk said:

I don't know what the comment Leigh made was, BUT, I'm going to guess that she did not wish death upon the entire Twisted Metal staff (which is what I would assume from the reaction.) While she was at times annoying on the bombcast she seemed like a decent person and this is probably just another case of someone saying the first thing they thought of on Twitter and it being misinterpreted. Forgive and forget?

You should at least read the tweet before white knighting....

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By megalowho

When she writes from a journalistic angle on Gamasutra I think she does fine work, but I'm not too fond of her written voice in op eds or her criticism in general. Getting into a pissing match with someone as passionate as Jaffe over not just his game but his team/work seems immature, like dangling bait. But whatever, I have some lady friends with strong personalities and opinions that would probably rub some folks the wrong way too, not gonna play armchair psychologist or throw stones.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Getz

@Shady said:

@Getz said:

Leigh Alexander is smug, talentless, loud and self-important. If you just ignore her she'll go away. Where are all the good female game journos? First that fucking mess on Kotaku calling Jaffe a misogynist and now this.

Wait. Kotaku actually posted that? The same Kotaku that still posts cosplay galleries and really creepy shit from Japan?

Well, it is a Gawker site.

Edit: How can you write so much and say absolutely nothing? It's like she's the female Tim Rogers.

http://kotaku.com/5883107/does-david-jaffe-really-recommend-his-new-game-as-a-sexual-aid

Needless to say, Jaffe was pissed

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#67  Edited By Giantstalker
soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By soldierg654342

Nah, I take it back. The glee this community still takes in collectively attacking her at every opportunity is still unsettling to me. It's not even that she doesn't deserve some shit, but seriously, it was two podcasts two years ago. Get over it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By Vinny_Says

what exactly did she say? That link only shows a bunch of replies and her tweeting about making pancakes....

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DocPorpoise

@Shady: i was thinking the same thing, i haven't read so much navel gazing about video games since Rogers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By mikemcn

@Vinny_Says said:

what exactly did she say? That link only shows a bunch of replies and her tweeting about making pancakes....

She deleted a bunch of her tweets, she provokes an aggressive response and then gets rid of the evidence of it being her fault. All that's left are the sympathetic retweets of her lonely fanboys.

Poor little Leigh

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GreggD

@SoldierG654342 said:

Nah, I take it back. The glee this community still takes in collectively attacking her at every opportunity is still unsettling to me. It's not even that she doesn't deserve some shit, but seriously, it was two podcasts two years ago. Get over it.

I wouldn't call it glee. I'm pissed, because what she said was wrong. She's a real bitcharooney-dooney.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By lego_my_eggo
@Mikemcn said:

@Vinny_Says said:

She deleted a bunch of her tweets, she provokes an aggressive response and then gets rid of the evidence of it being her fault.

Poor little Leigh

Yeah, It looks like this is Jaffe's only response to her tweets. She is still making off handed comments and it looks like she talked shit about the dev team, and is acting innocent about it.
DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By DocPorpoise

@Liam_mk said:

some one who writes and is on the internet for a living should be able to put 140 characters together in a way that's not misinterpreted or have enough sense to just not say anything.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Daveyo520

Let's have her on the Bombcast again!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#76  Edited By Bocam

I wonder how long it's going to be until this thread gets locked. Though, Leigh is a bitch.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Liam_mk

@greennoodles said:

@Liam_mk said:

You should at least read the tweet before white knighting....

I wouldn't say I'm white knighting as much as I've seen enough internet pitchforks sharpened in my time to realize that tomorrow she'll probably have a statement out saying she's sorry for what she's done. Oh my god, I've become cynical of people being idiots on the internet......

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Shady

@SoldierG654342 said:

Yeah. Let's give some douche bag a free pass. Let's not call her out on her shit when she acts like a stupid fuck. Let's let bygones, no matter how arrogant and belittling, be bygones.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By apathylad

David Jaffe tweeted that Leigh Alexander said something she deleted soon after. What was it?

@Vinny_Says:

Here's what I've gathered...

Leigh Alexander:

"If I'd worked on twisted metal I'd just lie and say I didn't."

"what does this clown wanting to kill some chick have to do with him wanting to be in road races"

"The 3D modeling is embarrassing WAIT IS THAT WHITE ZOMBIE ajhjjhddjhhgahaja worst game"

David Jaffe:

leighalexander: If I'd worked on twisted metal I'd just lie and say I didn't” I love the fact that you think you'd be qualified to do

anything other than critique and judge the hard work other folks do. It's important to have goals, so good on you Alex!

.BadgerSamuraileighalexander nah- Leigh was being mean.Including the tweet she has sinced erased. I don't stomach mean. Done now."

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Lego_My_Eggo said:

@Mikemcn said:

@Vinny_Says said:

She deleted a bunch of her tweets, she provokes an aggressive response and then gets rid of the evidence of it being her fault.

Poor little Leigh

Yeah, It looks like this is Jaffe's only response to her tweets. She is still making off handed comments and it looks like she talked shit about the dev team, and is acting innocent about it.

Also, her white knights creep me out. That hat, that smile...So many things wrong.

Rookwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rookwood

@chrissedoff said:

Hideo Kojima is an artistic genius

Why yes, yes he is.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Liam_mk

@Mikemcn said:

@Liam_mk said:

@Mikemcn said:

If only she were...

then she would challenge David Jaffe to a fight, he would win, and she'd have to surrender her title as one of the few female game journalists, and it would all be ok because it's David Jaffe and he can do that.

I wish gaming industry resolved disputes with fights instead of bickering over twitter and lawsuits. "You want DOTA 2 Valve? Look out cause Blizzard brought a shank!"

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bacongames

@Shady said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Yeah. Let's give some douche bag a free pass. Let's not call her out on her shit when she acts like a stupid fuck. Let's let bygones, no matter how arrogant and belittling, be bygones.

You, like many others, are just posting vicious value judgements against her which is by no means a civilized or fair way to criticize someone.

My impression is that she's a big personality who's unwilling to check herself. My guess is she's got a big ego with a chip on her shoulder because that's what she feels he needs to do both as a games journalist and a female person in the industry. Is it right? Clearly the way she's going about it isn't making a lot of people happy and her continued annoyances while intoxicated do not help. I have to agree that this community I belong to takes far too much enjoyment and/or time out of their day trashing on her every chance they get.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Xeiphyer

Shes kind of a crazy feminazi bitch sometimes, but she does write some good articles with interesting insights too. This was uncalled for though.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By soldierg654342

@Shady said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Let's call them out when it's appropriate and not continue to brow-beat them because of one stupid thing they did.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Shady

@Daveyo520 said:

Can't be worse than Patrick being on it already.

tadros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#87  Edited By tadros

She claims that she does so much for games journalism and criticizes new comers to the industry. Before even meeting/reading anything anyone writes, she tells them to give up. It's one thing to be a good writer/journalist/columnist, but it's another to hate on everyone and act like you are the be all-end all. I follow her on twitter just to piss myself off really.

Liam_mk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Liam_mk

@DocPorpoise said:

@Liam_mk said:

some one who writes and is on the internet for a living should be able to put 140 characters together in a way that's not misinterpreted or have enough sense to just not say anything.

I'm just going off what I heard on the bombcast. I got the impression that she says things without thinking but doesn't mean harm by it. Hopefully it'll blow over soon and apologizes will be had in the morning.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By napalm

@Demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided

@Shady: The only thing Kotaku had left going for them was Crecente's amazing hair and how Crecente is gone!

And now at Vox Games, we get to see him again.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Akrid

Y'know, every time there's an interesting twitter fight, it reminds me of how terrible twitter is. It's a nightmare trying to follow a conversation.

Anyway, this is probably the worst for me:

leighalexander I'm sure the team that worked hard on it for 3-4 years appreciates you making childish remarks about their sex life (I dunno what this is referring to, possibly a tweet she deleted?)

antumbral if they spent that long on it there's nothing I could do to make their life any worse

That said, basically every other person in this thread is proving that they're just about as bad as her. Opinions! Everyone's got 'em, turns out most of the people who would be on a forum has got lots of 'em. A lot of those opinions are just wrong, hurtful, and poorly thought out. Hell, I'll admit that plenty of mine are. Sometimes you just go with the gut and someone gets hurt, or you're wrong. It's only human.

Really, I'm curious how this one lady draws so much ire for her actions when people on these forums often are far harsher then she ever has been. This thread alone is abound with armchair psychologists who speculate a whole range of issues with her fundamental character. Maybe it's a bit much to expect any sort of decorum on the internet, but seriously. What, you think she's an alcoholic? Well keep that shit to yourself. You wouldn't say that to anyone's face because that's rude, you jackass. What she did to Jaffe, this site has done to her 10x over by now.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Barrock

@Vinny_Says said:

"If I'd worked on twisted metal I'd just lie and say I didn't"

"The 3D modeling is embarrassing WAIT IS THAT WHITE ZOMBIE ajhjjhddjhhgahaja worst game"

someone replied with "I'm sure the team that worked hard on it for 3-4 years appreciates you making childish remarks about their sex life"

and she said "if they spent that long on it there's nothing I could do to make their life any worse"

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#92  Edited By Claude

I've always thought Leigh Alexander was kind of hot and the fact that she speaks out the way she does makes her hotter. I like a strong willed women.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Shady

@SoldierG654342 said:

@Shady said:

@SoldierG654342 said:

Let's call them out when it's appropriate and not continue to brow-beat them because of one stupid thing they did.

The only time she comes up is when she does something else stupid. Then, we reminisce on the day she ruined our lives.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By pw2566ch

@ShaggE said:

Leigh's written some decent articles, but overall, she seems like another Jim Sterling.

I wouldn't go that far. At least Jim Sterling doesn't go as far as talking shit our of nowhere on Twitter.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By napalm

@Shady said:

@Daveyo520 said:

Oh, fuck off. This isn't the forum for your bullshit.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#96  Edited By Daveyo520

@Shady: There is nothing wrong with Patrick.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Shady

@Akrid said:

Y'know, every time there's an interesting twitter fight, it reminds me of how terrible twitter is. It's a nightmare trying to follow a conversation.

Anyway, this is probably the worst for me:

leighalexander I'm sure the team that worked hard on it for 3-4 years appreciates you making childish remarks about their sex life (I dunno what this is referring to, possibly a tweet she deleted?)

antumbral if they spent that long on it there's nothing I could do to make their life any worse

That said, basically every other person in this thread is proving that they're just about as bad as her. Opinions! Everyone's got 'em, turns out most of the people who would be on a forum has got lots of 'em. A lot of those opinions are just wrong, hurtful, and poorly thought out. Hell, I'll admit that plenty of mine are. Sometimes you just go with the gut and someone gets hurt, or you're wrong. It's only human.

Really, I'm curious how this one lady draws so much ire for her actions when people on these forums often are far harsher then she ever has been. This thread alone is abound with armchair psychologists who speculate a whole range of issues with her fundamental character. Maybe it's a bit much to expect any sort of decorum on the internet, but seriously. What, you think she's an alcoholic? Well keep that shit to yourself. You wouldn't say that to anyone's face because that's rude, you jackass. What she did to Jaffe, this site has done to her 10x over by now.

I would gladly tell it to her face if she is tweeting about drinking before noon.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By mandude
@Akrid said:
What she did to Jaffe, this site has done to her 10x over by now.
I wouldn't agree, exactly. The actions are the same, but considering that anonymous users on an internet forum don't have any standing in the industry, the consequences aren't nearly as far reaching. If you command a sizable readership and start making naive or needlessly hurtful remarks, you're only going to be compared against the standard associated with the job you hold.
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Shady

@Napalm said:

@Shady said:

@Daveyo520 said:

Oh, fuck off. This isn't the forum for your bullshit.

Just keeping up the status quo around here.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By PixelPrinny

So... thanks OP for not linking to anything relevant. Not gonna go through a hundred tweets just to find out what you're even talking about.