Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

uhh...

Wait.

Wait just a minute.

"They basically asked me questions and gave me the rundown on what to expect. Like dealing with customers in a friendly manner, what they expect from me on the job, dealing with racism from time to time (Since I'm African-American)"

Remind me never to visit the place you live.

"Now remember here sonny boy - sometimes a fellers gonna give ya a hard time - psst: cuz ya so dark n all - but jes remember ta smile n send im on his way!"

It doesn't really matter where you're from. If someone's upset, they'll say something and they won't think about it. I'm from the land of Lincoln himself, and the number of times I've been called a chink, gook, charlie, jap, etc happens more than it should for a blue state. I never got the racist talk in my retail job, but I sold big ticket electronics; it was the customer's choice as to whether they dealt with me and I never had to tell anyone that it's the 26oz cola that's on sale, not the 28oz cola. I've seen people throw fits over stuff like that at a grocery store.

Some people are just jerks and if they don't get their way, they'll get vindictive, especially around the holiday season.

What better way to get back at that clerk who denied me my 99 cent 26 oz diet sugar free organic free range espresso soda than to egg him on so that he gets mad and gets fired!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@falserelic: It's retail, you'll be fine dude. Just treat the customers well and do what you're asked when you're asked to with reasonable enthusiasm.

I'd also say not intending to talk to co-workers or make friends is a huge mistake. I know you are there to make money, but you may need these people to help you get your next job. Or even to keep this one. You'll get far better results if you are well liked. You'll get better recommendations and if there is layoffs you'll be much more likely be protected. This goes doubly so if you feel you have something in your history that make it tough to get employment.

Don't be fake about it, but do consider making an effort be friendly and helpful.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just picked up a third job. Jobs are nice. Most everyone is nervous before starting a job, it's totally normal.

Blomakrans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

When I'm nervous for something I try and remember that all that nervousness just means I have ambition for the task at hand. Someone who doesn't give a shit wouldn't be nervous. So in a way you could say that being a little bit nervous is a good thing. Just remembering that helps me out a lot.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Well I just got off of work today and everything went fine. I had to watch a series of training vids on the internet, and different work policy's. After that I was put on the floor to do stocking in the frozen food aisle. It's basically looking at the last 3 digits on the food item and a number next to a letter. To see what fridge to place the item in and on what aisle. It was a pretty easy day and my supervisor Ryan was cool. I had a few customers asked me where certain Items were at, but I had no idea.

So I apologized and told them I was new to the job. Anyway I got to go to work again tomorrow, and unlike my previous job I look forward to it.

@slag said:

@falserelic: It's retail, you'll be fine dude. Just treat the customers well and do what you're asked when you're asked to with reasonable enthusiasm.

I'd also say not intending to talk to co-workers or make friends is a huge mistake. I know you are there to make money, but you may need these people to help you get your next job. Or even to keep this one. You'll get far better results if you are well liked. You'll get better recommendations and if there is layoffs you'll be much more likely be protected. This goes doubly so if you feel you have something in your history that make it tough to get employment.

Don't be fake about it, but do consider making an effort be friendly and helpful.

Its something I have to work on. Since I'm used to being by myself and not talking much, but I'm sure once I start getting more experience. I will show alot more enthusiasm and be more friendly to co-workers.

btw...thanks for the advice.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fake it til you make it. That's my policy on new jobs.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We used to jack the meijers liquor aisle around midnight a lot. So if you see a group of like 6 teenagers with baggy pants walking out just know that each of them has at least two bottles of liquor in their pants.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tehbull said:

We used to jack the meijers liquor aisle around midnight a lot. So if you see a group of like 6 teenagers with baggy pants walking out just know that each of them has at least two bottles of liquor in their pants.

From what I've seen the store has cameras everywhere. Even if an employee notice a thief we can't do anything, except call department 10 (I think that's the code) to notify them that someone stole something. That reminds me I also learn stuff today like ''Shrink''. Which is when meijer is losing money from stolen products, damage goods, less production, and other stuff. If that happens well have less items in stock, and they'll be force to increase prices on all items, just so they can make up for money lost.

Which more then likely will drive people away, and people will go somewhere else like walmart to get stuff for cheaper. Anyway if I catch someone stealing something. One tactic I learned that I'm suppose to do is to greet them. To make them second guess their decision.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

Its something I have to work on. Since I'm used to being by myself and not talking much, but I'm sure once I start getting more experience. I will show alot more enthusiasm and be more friendly to co-workers.

btw...thanks for the advice.

totally get the feeling and no problem, happy to help

Good luck duder!