NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By NTA_Luciana

*Queer person's obligatory post in queer-centric thread*

Rainbow Road's a good one. In any case, the logo should be a pink Triforce pointing down.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MrKlorox

Mmmcast -- getit?

Uhh... Sodcast? 

Dongle Port?

I should start a gaming podcast for bald people and the bearded agenda.

OH! The Bearded Agenda!

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#154  Edited By Ben99

Joystick Play

captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#155  Edited By captainfish

I don't have a title, but more power to ya. I can't believe so many people took this thread as a sounding board for how sexuality isn't in games (it is). I guess I'll do the same.

For people saying that sexuality doesn't effect gaming, I guess the people making games don't realize it, because most if not all have romantic storylines that are heteronormative as well as characters that fit into that segment. That doesn't only mean that your dude will be straight and the hero, but it also means that gay people will be portrayed like Thomas in Deadly Premonition was. This is also the case for minorities in gaming, although that has come much further than homosexuality. Even a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 is about Mario saving the princess. Sexuality is an important part of a person's life, so it will be an important part of most stories. Now it may not interest you to think about that aspect of games, but that doesn't mean it isn't a part of how games are being written now.

On the other hand, theres no implication that the people on this podcast will have anything to say that interests you, but that is the case for all podcasts. All people have a unique voice, and they have a right to approach their discussion whichever way they please. They have decided to let their sexuality be in the open, that it may lead to interesting discussion. It doesn't mean that every discussion has to link to it, but it does change perspectives. Like the people in this thread who decided to defend/attack the merits of this cast existing. That is a charged audience if I've ever seen one.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#156  Edited By Omega

I had a similar idea once about what I'd name a gay bar if I was ever to open one.  My theoretical gay bar would be called The Cockpit. 

I think "The Cockpit" could work for a gay podcast title too. 

Jemenez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Jemenez

Rainbow Gamers
sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By sickVisionz
@Mmmslash said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic:  That's a little tacky, don't you think? "
Compared to 4 Controllers, 1 Port?
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#160  Edited By demontium

dicks

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#161  Edited By CharleyTony

it could be a different version of the Fight Against Grenade Spam, the horrible COD6:MW2 video 

or 
 Sword Fight Cast (if it is a mostly "guy" crew)

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By EliasT
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" Giant Shlongcast. "
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Gamers and Flamers 

HAH i crack myself up. 

seriously though, good luck :)

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Mmmslash
@CaptainFish:  I genuinely appreciate the time and thought that went into your post, as opposed to the kneejerk reaction that has happened a lot in this thread.

Of all of Giantbomb, youdabomb.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165  Edited By Ace829
@Zunum said:
" I think I'm going to be sick.  Seriously, this topic is just wrong. "
Hopefully, you vomit on your keyboard. Then we won't ever have to see you post! ^_^
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#166  Edited By natetodamax
@Zunum said:
But it's okay for you to post religious nonsense everywhere? 
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#167  Edited By Cube
@Mmmslash said:
" @CaptainFish:  I genuinely appreciate the time and thought that went into your post, as opposed to the kneejerk reaction that has happened a lot in this thread.  Of all of Giantbomb, youdabomb. "
You serious OP? Seems to me like you're just grateful 1 other person isn't criticizing the idea. Some people here have presented well-thought out arguments, yet you only say "thanks for the time and thought that went into your post" to the guy who backed you. 

I'm not one to demand credit or anything but really OP? In what way was my argument a kneejerk reaction? 
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mmmslash
@Cube: I DID reply to you, Cube. You got a long, thought out reply. Much longer than his, a couple dozen times longer, even. So, yes, the second time around, I ignored you.

I had no intention of coming here and defending what I may or not may not be doing. He clearly was not the only supporter in the thread, but he at least took the time to think something other than "SEXUALITY AND GAMES ARE A AND B AND DO NOT OVERLAP EVER GOODBYE".

The fact of the matter is, I don't have to defend anything I do to you. I'm a big boy, and I can do what I like, especially since it's an extraordinary voluntary sort of thing. If you don't like it, if you think it's exclusionary, if you think it's a bad idea, if you think it's bullshit, congratulations! Feel however way you like, I cannot begin to express how irrelevant it is.

Considering I've had a Mod PM me and tell me I could speak to them directly if someone around here decided to be a dink, the thread is pretty justified. I'm sorry you disagree, and it's a shame we'll have one less listener because they're more than willing to close themselves off from differing opinions and ideas, but, you know, them's the breaks.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#169  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Zunum said:
Please take your bigotry somewhere else.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#170  Edited By natetodamax
@AlwaysAngry said:
" WE FUK MEN IN TEH BUTTS!!!!!!!  Or the alternative...   WE LIKE PENISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
That is totally uncalled for. Way to be mature.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@natetodamax said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" WE FUK MEN IN TEH BUTTS!!!!!!!  Or the alternative...   WE LIKE PENISES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
That is totally uncalled for. Way to be mature. "
Oh hush, I'm not the only one.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Mmmslash
@AlwaysAngry:  Mob mentality has historically been completely justified and fun for everyone!
Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Phantom

Team Killers should be the name.

- you don't aim for the other team, you target your own!

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By landon
@Phantom said:
" Team Killers should be the name.  - you don't aim for the other team, you target your own! "
That's actually kinda clever.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Mmmslash
@Landon said:
" @Phantom said:
" Team Killers should be the name.  - you don't aim for the other team, you target your own! "
That's actually kinda clever. "
It IS pretty clever.
Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Phantom

*puts on shades*

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By WickedFather

"Game Pride" is excellent, probably better than "Friends of Daisy", "Jet Force Gaymini", or the potentially offensive "The Heavenly / Fabulous Asstronauts", "Wand Wakers", "Pipe Maniacs", "Gaydius IV" or "Super Bummermen".

Don't know if you're into Polari but that might give you some pointers but it's more a British thing.  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polari

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By KillerBears

Some of these responses really irk me.  I like the idea. How bouts: 

The Podcast from Pen 15 
QueerCodes 
Rainbow Arcade
RedRing 

Idk, most puns are kinda silly. I'd go with something like "Gay/Queer Gaming Podcast" or "Games for Gays" or something descriptive and lame. If you're set on a pun, I actually love "Gaymers"

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Mrskidders
@Zunum: You sir, are a piece of shit.
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By tranquilchaos
@Mrskidders said:
" @Zunum: You sir, are a piece of shit. "
I've thought that on more than one occasion...
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#181  Edited By dichemstys

Gay Gamers Talk About Shit. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The Cockpit.
Rainbow Islanders.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Gabriel

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace... 

I can't think of anything gayer

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By DCFGS3

Plug and Play is a good one if not already taken. Also Analog is pretty subtle.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Sanious

It's sad that the responses just tend to be sexual innuendo. 

Gay people aren't making podcasts/gay gaming sites to separate themselves from the community. It's actually quite the opposite, to let people know we are a community amongst gamers. This type of medium needs to exist for the simple fact that people can go there and feel comfortable amongst other people like them and play games with people who aren't going to give them issue on their sexuality. Unfortunately sexuality matters to people and some responses to this thread should be reason enough why things like a gay podcast or gay gaming sites are made. 

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

What has sexual orientation got to do with your opinion on games?

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Dogma
@CharkeeFarlee said:

" What has sexual orientation got to do with your opinion on games? "

A lot. Why do people keep on asking this question? It can have great relevance depending on what approach they want to take discussions. Just visit Gaygamer.net to see that it's very possible to talk about games with this perspective. It's the same thing as a black person with in interest in equality in games for example. It's not for everyone but it's a relevant subject. 

I also like Game Pride. It connects to "gay" but not in a stupid or negative way.
Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Rasgueado
@CaptainFish said:
"

I don't have a title, but more power to ya. I can't believe so many people took this thread as a sounding board for how sexuality isn't in games (it is). I guess I'll do the same.

For people saying that sexuality doesn't effect gaming, I guess the people making games don't realize it, because most if not all have romantic storylines that are heteronormative as well as characters that fit into that segment. That doesn't only mean that your dude will be straight and the hero, but it also means that gay people will be portrayed like Thomas in Deadly Premonition was. This is also the case for minorities in gaming, although that has come much further than homosexuality. Even a game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 is about Mario saving the princess. Sexuality is an important part of a person's life, so it will be an important part of most stories. Now it may not interest you to think about that aspect of games, but that doesn't mean it isn't a part of how games are being written now.

On the other hand, theres no implication that the people on this podcast will have anything to say that interests you, but that is the case for all podcasts. All people have a unique voice, and they have a right to approach their discussion whichever way they please. They have decided to let their sexuality be in the open, that it may lead to interesting discussion. It doesn't mean that every discussion has to link to it, but it does change perspectives. Like the people in this thread who decided to defend/attack the merits of this cast existing. That is a charged audience if I've ever seen one.

"
I have nothing to add. Good summation of the reality at hand. 
Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Food

wow I'm impressed at how some people are able to stay eloquent in the face of unrelenting idiocy.  If this is what it's like to be a homosexual on a gaming website I don't blame them for wanting their own podcast.

rgoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By rgoodness

Don't know if you guys have any issues with reviving two-week-old threads or anything (obviously I'm not a regular poster), but I found this thread because the podcast I co-host (Cartridge Blowers) was mentioned at some point, and I felt like putting in my two cents. 

The hooplah over this question is exactly *why* more minority viewpoints need to be heard.  While I've seen some legitimately good and thoughtful responses, most of the names given here were either cringeworthy jokes or kneejerk WHY WOULD WE NEED THAT SULLYING OUR COMMUNITY nonsense--apparently it seems that, at 27, I'm a good 15 years older than many of the posters here.   

Podcasting, as I see it, is opinion and personality.  Makes sense--unless you're doing hard-and-fast facts, your podcast is by definition going to be you and a friend or two talking games, condemning decisions that Sony makes that YOU disagree with, expressing excitement over games that YOU want to play, and giving YOUR own spin to news items.  Being told, "Why would you want to shove your sexuality in our faces on a podcast" is saying, essentially, "There's no place for gay guys in the videogame community."  It is saying, "We don't want to hear your voice."  It is saying, "I don't want you to exist." 

Shame on you.  

A few weeks ago I wrote a relatively lengthy blog post about why, exactly, we choose to forefront our sexuality.  If you're interested, you can find it at http://cartridgeblowers.com/2010/06/04/why-we-blow/.  Essentially, it's an issue of visibility.  Gamer culture is so often faceless.  It takes place under helmets, behind avatars, beneath screennames.  The internet has helped gamer culture explode, and that's a good thing--but one thing many gamers cannot seem to handle is Opinion, is a multiplicity of viewpoints.  (I dare you to tell me it's not--look at the controversy over what happens if a game is scored lower than it "deserves".)  Rather than using that anonymity constructively, as a means to experiment with identity and opinions and all of that, it's used as a powerful normative force.  It is used so that many gamers can become bullies, so that they can socially sanction anyone who acts "wrong".  Congratulations: You've become the kids who beat you up in high school. 

Michel Foucault wrote extensively about how power is exercised.  He talks about the Panopticon, which was a model for a prison.  The cells were created in a central ring, with the inner wall open, all facing a central tower.  From this tower, it was possible for guards to view any cell, to keep an eye on any possible mischief the prisoners could be getting into.  It was unlikely if not impossible to view every single prisoner at once--odds are that most prisoners would go unnoticed for long stretches.  However, what was important wasn't the fact of whether or not a certain prisoner was being watched; what was important was the fact that observation was *possible*.  In the face of possible observation, a prisoner would behave--better to not risk it. 

The lesson of the Panopticon is this:  Power does not always come from without--from an external authority figure physically imposing his will--but rather often comes from within--from someone acting in a certain way because he knows those in authority prefer it that way.  Read 1984 if you haven't already--though Orwell wrote before Foucault came on the scene, that novel gives one of the most chillingly clear demonstrations of Foucauldian power I've ever read.  (It's also excellent and damn terrifying.)

Ask yourselves this:  Do you know any gay people?  Have you been threatened by any?  Attacked by any?  Is your fear of gay people based on any actual reason, or is it because you're simply expected to hate them?  Do you have any reasons for your opinions, or are you just parroting your parents, your teachers, your community?  Are your beliefs and viewpoints so shaky that you can't handle an opposing or different one for fear you might question it?   

Because as I see it, we're a vast, vast community.  The gamer subculture draws from a wide variety of ages, races, sexualities, regions.  I've talked games with people in all different countries, of all different backgrounds.  I've talked games with 11-year-old kids who saw me with my DS and asked me what game I'm playing, with college professors interested in helping me connect videogames to philosophical concepts, with my 86-year-old grandmother who, due to a bad hip, has found her senior center's copy of Wii Bowling to be an excellent substitute.  These people are no threat to you.  These people live in the same world as you do.  If you listen to what they have to say, maybe you'll learn something more about your own thoughts.  Maybe you'll get some new ideas.  Changing your mind isn't scary.  But if you can't handle it, well the typical advice fits: Don't listen to it.  Many of you probably didn't even know Cartridge Blowers existed before today.  It didn't hurt you then; if you don't like gay guys, then hey--the internet is a big place.  I doubt we'll run into each other much if you don't seek us out. 

As for the original poster, if your idea ever goes beyond theoretical, let me know.  After all, I'd be interested in your unique viewpoint.    

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Gizmo

Four Fags & A Multitap

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Jimbo

How did I not win this thread on page one?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By OmegaPirate
@Jimbo: I'm not sure, maybe there was some gold in the following 7 pages - not gonna lie, i dont have the will to search and find out 

Can we just declare you victor?
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By fattony12000
@ThePaleKing said:
" Why do you feel the need to shove your gayness into peoples faces?  "
That'd be the title I'd go for. 

Or, maybe for a snappier version: 

'Shove your gayness into people's faces'
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By dbz1995
@GalacticPunt said:
" Maybe this is too close to the "gaymer" pun, but have you considered:  Game Pride? "
I actually really like this one.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sanious said:
" It's sad that the responses just tend to be sexual innuendo.  Gay people aren't making podcasts/gay gaming sites to separate themselves from the community. It's actually quite the opposite, to let people know we are a community amongst gamers. This type of medium needs to exist for the simple fact that people can go there and feel comfortable amongst other people like them and play games with people who aren't going to give them issue on their sexuality. Unfortunately sexuality matters to people and some responses to this thread should be reason enough why things like a gay podcast or gay gaming sites are made.  "

Maybe it's just me... but making a gay gaming site or podcast only worsens the whole situation... Why even bring sexuality in to a gaming community... I for example don't feel the need to make everyone aware of my heterosexuality or join an all hetero site :)

Basically don't make a big deal out of your sexuality unless you want others to make a big deal out of your sexuality as well.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By fwylo
@dbz1995 said:
" @GalacticPunt said:
" Maybe this is too close to the "gaymer" pun, but have you considered:  Game Pride? "
I actually really like this one. "
This one really is awesome.
regmcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#198  Edited By regmcfly

Wait, has everyone just ignored the most sensible response on this thread? @rgoodness - I'm sorry that your logical, and sensible argument has just been ignored. As a teacher in a secondary school (high school) I deal with 12-18 year olds, and spend quite a time with young, senseless kids trying to teach them that 'gay' or 'fag' are not acceptable insults. I hear 'that's so gay' at least once a week, and it outrages me that people think this is acceptable. 

The concept of the avatar allows everyone to be whatever they want. I find it quite hilarious that 'gayness' has provided more of an issue than, say, playing as a different race, gender, or hell, species. 

This thread was not pleasant reading.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By habster3

I will refrain from immaturity, but I can't help but feel awkward about this thread.

Look, I have no problem with gay people, but you don't have to have a name to show that your group is gay; just pick a standard name (or Team Kill; wow, that was clever). 

I hope that your future podcast goes great.