BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By BiggerBomb
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"Also I can't tell the difference at all between NZ and Aussie accents. It's plain as day to tell the difference between the other native English accents (Scottish, Irish, English, Aussie) but it's impossible to tell the difference between NZ and Aussie accents.

I've heard lots of non American and Canadian people say it's almost impossible for them to tell the difference between a "standard" (not something odd like certain Eastern Canadian accents) Canadian and a "Standard" American accents (not something odd like hardcore Southern Drawl of NYC/Boston/Chicago/etc.) accents.... so I guess that's a similar thing. That standard ones are almost identical, I have a buddy from Ontario and if I didn't know he was from Ontario I never would've known he's Canadian. His Canadian accent sounds completely identical to out standard American accent."

Completely true.

I can't imagine how someone would mix up Aussie, Irish, Scottish, and English. But I have no idea what is the difference between NZ and Aussie up until this thread, I thought it was the same thing. :O

Is there a difference between German and Austrian? I always thought not, but maybe one of the Germans can fill me in.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By crunchUK

there probably is and oh what does spanglish  count as?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By BiggerBomb
crunchUK said:
"there probably is and oh what does spanglish  count as?"

Spanglish isn't a language.

You did brin gup a good point earlier, btw. So many people who speak Spanish as their native language say Americans speak so much faster than them...

I say, "WTF?" Whenever I'm on an air plane or hearing Spanish speak people in general talk they talk so fast their words start to blend together. I'm taking Honors 11th Grade Spanish and I have a pretty good understanding of the language and can understand sentences as long as they are not too complex, but when native speaking Spanish start talking it's as if they are speaking Chinese. I don't understand a single word of it.

Edit: I just reread my sentence and the atrocity I just commited to English grammar is horrific. Sorry about that, my mind is melted after 6 hours of teachers droning and people being people...
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
crunchUK said:

The hispanic sounding accents are from people not having English as a primary language, it's different than the "native" English accents. It's like the French accent (someone who speaks French natively and learns English,) German accent, etc.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Otacon

Well you could say that there are no definitive accents for any country, If I had grown up in Spain I wold be telling you that there are no definitive Spanish accents all regions have slightly different accents and even then individuals all sound different. It's only to foreigners that accents of a particular country sound the same.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By HazBazz

I'm Brittish and I can deffinatley pick out different American accents. The New York accent is very strong, as is the deep south.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
Otacon said:
"Well you could say that there are no definitive accents for any country, If I had grown up in Spain I wold be telling you that there are no definitive Spanish accents all regions have slightly different accents and even then individuals all sound different. It's only to foreigners that accents of a particular country sound the same."

There are defnitive accents within countries though. Of course people have different voices and everyone sounds different on a technical level, but accents are very distinct w
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Meowayne
sheisty_shogun said:
"BiggerBomb said:
Is there a difference between German and Austrian? I always thought not, but maybe one of the Germans can fill me in."
I know certain ways of saying "good morning", etc. can be different in Germany and Austria. Not sure how much difference there is accent -wise. Languages and dialects are a fascinating topic to me. "
There is a certain difference in pronounciation, especially with the "r" and the vowels, but it's not bigger than the differences between high german and other german dialects such as bavarian, hessian or berlin. Yet while the pronounciation is pretty similar, there are many things that have completely different names in Austria. ("bicycle" german "fahrrad", austrian "velo", for example)

By far the worst german accent is Schwäbisch. Germans make fun of schwäbisch all the time.

(Star Wars spoof in schwäbisch. They are talking about whether viral marketing could save the empire from bankruptcy)
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By crunchUK
BiggerBomb said:
"crunchUK said:

You did brin gup a good point earlier, btw. So many people who speak Spanish as their native language say Americans speak so much faster than them...

I say, "WTF?" Whenever I'm on an air plane or hearing Spanish speak people in general talk they talk so fast their words start to blend together. I'm taking Honors 11th Grade Spanish and I have a pretty good understanding of the language and can understand sentences as long as they are not too complex, but when native speaking Spanish start talking it's as if they are speaking Chinese. I don't understand a single word of it.

Edit: I just reread my sentence and the atrocity I just commited to English grammar is horrific. Sorry about that, my mind is melted after 6 hours of teachers droning and people being people..."
yes... classes damage your health :P. oh and if you think spanish goes fast try french. seriously. in fact the more i think about it the more french is fucking awesome... just so slick and smooth and contextualand... corners cut.. apart from verbs that is
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By crunchUK
BiggerBomb said:
"crunchUK said:

Edit: I just reread my sentence and the atrocity I just commited to English grammar is horrific. Sorry about that, my mind is melted after 6 hours of teachers droning and people being people..."
yes... classes damage your health :P. oh and if you think spanish goes fast try french. seriously. in fact the more i think about it the more french is fucking awesome... just so slick and smooth and contextualand... corners cut.. apart from verbs that is
aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By aaox

I think there's three main accents where I live: Cockney, Liverpudlian, and Steriotypical english. I'm proud to say I think I have a stereotypical accent. Jolly good show, what? I don't know, but everyone saying 'Innit' and 'y'rite?' gets me SERIOUSLY annoyed. I also dislike text-speak. But that's because I can't use it, probably. Sorry! Off topic. But yeah, Americans have accents, and we do too. As long as we understand each other, I don't care. Unless you're a Chav, or something. That annoys me.

NO OFFENCE TO CHAVS INTENDED!
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By zitosilva
BiggerBomb said:
"But what does it sound like? Everyone describes the British accent, but never the American accent (standard, not midwest or southern.)"
If I understood what you're saying then I guess that the american accent is more nasal compared to other english speaking countrys.

But since my native language is not english maybe I perceive it differently.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By Otacon
Aaox said:
"I think there's three main accents where I live: Cockney, Liverpudlian, and Steriotypical english. I'm proud to say I think I have a stereotypical accent. Jolly good show, what? I don't know, but everyone saying 'Innit' and 'y'rite?' gets me SERIOUSLY annoyed. I also dislike text-speak. But that's because I can't use it, probably. Sorry! Off topic. But yeah, Americans have accents, and we do too. As long as we understand each other, I don't care. Unless you're a Chav, or something. That annoys me.
NO OFFENCE TO CHAVS INTENDED!
"
There's a difference between accents and just being lazy and annoying with slang. I too have a southern accent but it's not completely Tally Ho Hugh Grant Style, a bit of a mix, like most southerners.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BiggerBomb
Meowayne said:
"sheisty_shogun said:
"BiggerBomb said:
Is there a difference between German and Austrian? I always thought not, but maybe one of the Germans can fill me in."
I know certain ways of saying "good morning", etc. can be different in Germany and Austria. Not sure how much difference there is accent -wise. Languages and dialects are a fascinating topic to me. "
There is a certain difference in pronounciation, especially with the "r" and the vowels, but it's not bigger than the differences between high german and other german dialects such as bavarian, hessian or berlin. Yet while the pronounciation is pretty similar, there are many things that have completely different names in Austria. ("bicycle" german "fahrrad", austrian "velo", for example)

By far the worst german accent is Schwäbisch. Germans make fun of schwäbisch all the time.

"

Why's that?

It's interesting that a single language can vary so much across one country and especially between countries. England and America are a good example, but Spain in contrast with other Spanish speaking countries could be considered very different as well. Spain uses the Vosotros tense, meaning "all of you" or the plural form of "you." But no other country has this tense, rather they stick with the Ustedes tense meaning "they" or in the context of speaking to an authoritive figure or a respected individual it's the plural form of you.

It's confusing to me, though I hear that English is actually one of the harder languages to learn.
AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By AlexB

I've always wondered this as well. I guess you could make an argument for both cases, but overall i see Americans as having pretty bland accents if any. I am not counting Southern Accents as American because that's just an anomaly.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BiggerBomb
AlexB said:
"I've always wondered this as well. I guess you could make an argument for both cases, but overall i see Americans as having pretty bland accents if any. I am not counting Southern Accents as American because that's just an anomaly."

Most Southerners would argue that the southern states are the "most American." Which is ironic, considering that they broke free from the US to form a confederacy in the Civil War.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By crunchUK

what for?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BiggerBomb
crunchUK said:
"what for?"

Why they left the US?

They hated Abe Lincoln and they wanted to have slaves is the most basic answer I can give you.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By crunchUK
BiggerBomb said:
"crunchUK said:
"what for?"

Why they left the US?

They hated Abe Lincoln and they wanted to have slaves is the most basic answer I can give you."
i see.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Meowayne
BiggerBomb said:
"Meowayne said:
Why's that?
It sounds funny.  Rather.. stupid. Nobody can take people talking schwäbisch seriously. Same with the eastern german accent.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By BiggerBomb
Meowayne said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Meowayne said:
Why's that?
It sounds funny.  Rather.. stupid. Nobody can take people talking schwäbisch seriously. Same with the eastern german accent.

"

I guess it's like the American Southerner, then. Everyone calls them hicks. =P
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Americans have an accent. I really like playing online games with americans especially because i find their accents so amusing. In a good way.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By crunchUK

ahahaha omg i just remrmbered a top gear episode where they went to some remote southern USA state in osme challenege and they had to paint each others cars and they painted stuff like "man love rules ok?" and they stopped at this petrol station and this woman said "i'm going to get the boys out" and this pickup full of mean looking guys came and they started coming after the film crew and god knows what else. that episode was so great. anyway that was hopelessly off topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

crunchUK said:
"ahahaha omg i just remrmbered a top gear episode where they went to some remote southern USA state in osme challenege and they had to paint each others cars and they painted stuff like "man love rules ok?" and they stopped at this petrol station and this woman said "i'm going to get the boys out" and this pickup full of mean looking guys came and they started coming after the film crew and god knows what else. that episode was so great. anyway that was hopelessly off topic."
I always wanted to see that episode. If only iPlayer went back more than 7 days
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By trulyalive
BiggerBomb said:
"Bo17 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"But what does it sound like? Everyone describes the British accent, but never the American accent (standard, not midwest or southern.)"
Gargh! Nononononononono!
Trust me when I say that your perception of the British accent (be it all upper class, or completely cokney) more or less died out about 200 years ago.
Being British, I've travelled my country a bit and it is impossible to pinpoint one specific definitive British Accent. We have hundreds, and they all sound different.
Same goes for Americans. For the most part, people assume you all have a standard yankee accent, but having been to America and knowing quite a few Americans, I've found that there are so many different accents there as well that it still proves impossible to generalise, and some people just have accents that completely contrast the environment in which they're brought up in, meaning the whole idea is void because everybody is Different and by generalising you just start demeaning people who don't conform to such a standard (be it on purpose or by accident)"

We don't have hundreds of different accents here, but I know what you mean.

We have: East Coast, Midwest, Southern, and Californian. If you want to count the Alaska/Oregon/Colorado accent you can as well, but I do not know how to classify it.

One thing that I heard from a Brit over XBL was that the British do not have a hard time understanding us, which is strange because often we have trouble understanding you. Was that just him or is that a general truth?"
For the most part, I can understand any accent quite well. I just need to clarify every now and then, but for the most-er part, some people have trouble. It just depends I guess.
The only trouble I ever had with an accent was Irish, but in all fairness, I was kind of concerned that a very hungover Irishman started talking to me in the bathroom of a restaurant when I was 15...
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Player1

I lol at this because I've always wondered as well.

A british kid told me that it sounds like I'm from the south. And I talk to same as people on tv, so I guess we all sound like were from the south. 
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By crunchUK
BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"

"
thankyouthankyouthankyou
trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#80  Edited By trulyalive

Lawl! I love this fucking clip. I remember first seeing this on TV. I couldn't stop laughing...until it all goes tits up. Then it gets genuinely kind of scary...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yeah, I'm a little media-exposed so an American accent doesn't always stand out as strongly as some other accents but it's definately there. It varies quite a bit depending on the region of America and the Southern accents are the strongest, but generally the words are more rounded and American As are more accentuated and sound more like the English O.