Trying to read the Lord of the Ring books and I have to say...

• 126 results
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I tried to get through those books. But somewhere during Two Towers I got exhausted and said "Fuck it. I'll just watch the Extended Edition films". Those are pretty damn good.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By mikemcn

I could not agree more, 60% of the books is just dudes walking places and describing what's there. It has its moments, but theres just too much damn monotony, the movies didn't help that feeling.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#103  Edited By Little_Socrates

His writing is pretty awful in LOTR. He's way better on The Hobbit, and way worse on The Silmarillion. Thing is, the things that happen in the book expand on so much of what makes Lord of the Rings as a franchise good so that the movies can really be great, but it's pretty poorly written. Hell, a high school creative writing assignment we had was to write an excerpt of the Balin's Tomb scene better than Tolkein. Most of us did so adequately. Some exceeded expectations.

If you like the action of the LOTR or the simple plot beats, you may just wanna skip Two Towers (especially if you don't like Frodo/Sam.) The action will disappoint all the way through, though it gets better by ROTK.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By wefwefasdf

I was only able to finish The Hobbit. I find it to be easily the best book set in the universe.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Hellstrom said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

Lord of the Rings is amazing because of its richness and depth, part of that is all of those descriptions. If you weren't lazy and allowed yourself to be immersed into the world, you might start to see it. There's never been a greater work when it comes to world building.

Do you ever create a thread that doesn't just involve you complaining about shit?

He basicaly just ripped off already existing mythologies/folklore. Trolls, Orgres, Dawrves, & Elves all existed before his writing. Also Lovecraft has a better world :P

He really didn't rip off anything.  As an Etymologist and History Professor of Linguistics he researched lots of different European legends and used what he thought was the most logically referential in his shaping of the prehistory of the Arthurian Legend.  Lovecraft never shaped a world at all.  He vaguely referred to the time of the ancients from which Cthulu sprang but Cthulu and almost all of HP's characters existed in our reality.  Have you actually properly read Tolkien or Lovecraft at all?
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#106  Edited By McGhee

@Hellstrom said:

Lord of the Rings is amazing because of its richness and depth, part of that is all of those descriptions. If you weren't lazy and allowed yourself to be immersed into the world, you might start to see it. There's never been a greater work when it comes to world building.

Do you ever create a thread that doesn't just involve you complaining about shit?

He basicaly just ripped off already existing mythologies/folklore. Trolls, Orgres, Dawrves, & Elves all existed before his writing. Also Lovecraft has a better world :P

"Ripped off" is not the right phrase. "Inspired by" would be better. Have you read The Silmarillion? There are thousands of years of detailed history within Tokien's world. He created multiple working languages. There is poetry and song unique in style to different cultures. It is fucking insane.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Hellstrom said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Hellstrom said:

He really didn't rip off anything. As an Etymologist and History Professor of Linguistics he researched lots of different European legends and used what he thought was the most logically referential in his shaping of the prehistory of the Arthurian Legend. Lovecraft never shaped a world at all. He vaguely referred to the time of the ancients from which Cthulu sprang but Cthulu and almost all of HP's characters existed in our reality. Have you actually properly read Tolkien or Lovecraft at all?

Half of his lore is directly from Finnish, Scandinavian, & Anglo Saxon mythology. Without them his entire fictional world not exist. Even Middle Earth is basicaly Midgard.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac:

True, inspired is the better term. I agree.

And he is inspired by said lore because he studied it professionally (in all senses of the word). 
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By TehFlan

You have no class, sir. The detailed descriptions are what make The Lord of the Rings books as good as they are.

LinusPauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#109  Edited By LinusPauling

@kaedeno said:

If you think LotR is bad, try The Silmarillion. That shit will sunder your soul.

Absolutely, this. Only for ardent fans.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TheFreeMan

I have only read the LoTR series once, although I didn't read the last couple dozen pages of RoTK, so maybe not. When they started going off about the Shire again I sorta shrugged and put it down and never picked up back up.

I dunno. I really appreciate the books, and when they're on, they're really fucking on. But for me those parts were few and far between.

Gotta love those movies, though.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By TomA

@EvilTwin said:

Try The Hobbit if you haven't. It's much more readable.

Agreed. Which is wierd because he wrote that first. You'd think he would stick with the same style of writing that made The Hobbit so successful. I still love reading Lord of The Rings however, but I see where people are coming from saying it's overly descriptive. It works most of the time for me though, because I always felt the best part about the world Tolkien created was in the detail and atmosphere, which really comes out in his long descriptions imo.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By fullmetal5550

@TeamJersey said:

@EvilTwin: Agreed.

Also, OP if you don't like The Lord of the Rings, don't ever read The Silmarillion. I, personally, really love the series, but even I have limits.

The Silmarillion is that limit.

What exactly was wrong with The Silmarillion? I read it and I loved it. It has been a couple of years though since I read it .

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By Skald

There's an unsettling irony about this thread. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#114  Edited By cornbredx

Just listen to the audio drama version on CD. it has everything from the books, is decently enough acted, and it will give you whatever you feel you are missing from the books.

Also, try reading The Silmarillion. That'll really make you want to stop. I don't know if any one truly "likes" that book. haha maybe it's just me

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By TheHumanDove

Yup. Its hard for people to read books when they're accustomed to New Moon

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By Commisar123

Yeah you are certainly not alone in thinking that. Tolkien really was a pretty poor writer, but a very good historian and linguist. If he had someone else write the dam things they could have been some of the best books ever.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By audiosnow

While the movies are competent, they are to the literature what Playdough is to Manet.

I completely understand how some people can find the books painful; my own experiences with The Silmarillion are equally painful. But an appreciation for Tolkien, Chesterton, Lewis, MacDonald, Dickens, and the likes is nearly critical to fully enjoy what literature has become within the last century. As others have suggested, try The Hobbit or Roverandom. And any chance I get to promote G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday is more than welcome.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By yinstarrunner

I love love love The Hobbit, its one of my favorite books. I've never been able to get through an LOTR book proper, though. I could only force myself to read up to Rivendell in the first book and the back half of The Two Towers proved intolerable only a few chapters in.

LOTR_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By LOTR_Dan

I don't understand why people seem to accept for granted that Tolkien was a poor writer. Even people who defend him often will admit that point but then say "but he built such a great world" and what not. Maybe this doesn't work for people who saw the movies, but The Lord of the Rings is MASTERFULLY plotted. I can think of no better example of concurrent narratives being weaved together. When Aragorn and the riders head to confront Sauruman, only to find Merry and Pippin just hanging out and smoking pipes is great! On the other hand, when the Mouth of Sauron presents Frodo's Mithril coat and it really appears that all hope is lost.

Or look at The Council of Elrond. I love the heck out of that chapter. Tolkien takes what could be just an info dump and makes it interesting. All the different speakers, including those who speak within the accounts of those present, all have a different voice. They have unique patterns of speech, the dwarves being stern, the minions of Sauron cunning but deceptively peaceful. The contrast between the two men present, Aragorn and Boromir foreshadow the clash of cultures that will be so important as the story continues. Tolkien had an ear for dialogue that few even come close too. It was his job to think about words after all.

Tolkien will never be mistaken for the bestselling writers of today, but that is a good thing. It's a slow burn to be sure, but try to have some damn patience and learn to appreciate the writing. It's almost a shame that so many people know the plot of The Lord of The Rings from the movies, because the plot really is an incredible one. Peter Jackson and company had to simplify it for the big screen, which isn't bad, but takes away quite a bit from what made the books so special. (And he also had Aragorn fall off of a cliff and float down a river for some reason during The Two Towers. Never quite understood why that was necessary.)

Also, not that it REALLY matters, but Tolkien did not consider himself an Entomologist but a Philologist. It's a slight difference.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#120  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@LOTR_Dan

I don't understand why people seem to accept for granted that Tolkien was a poor writer. Even people who defend him often will admit that point but then say "but he built such a great world" and what not. Maybe this doesn't work for people who saw the movies, but The Lord of the Rings is MASTERFULLY plotted. I can think of no better example of concurrent narratives being weaved together. When Aragorn and the riders head to confront Sauruman, only to find Merry and Pippin just hanging out and smoking pipes is great! On the other hand, when the Mouth of Sauron presents Frodo's Mithril coat and it really appears that all hope is lost.

Or look at The Council of Elrond. I love the heck out of that chapter. Tolkien takes what could be just an info dump and makes it interesting. All the different speakers, including those who speak within the accounts of those present, all have a different voice. They have unique patterns of speech, the dwarves being stern, the minions of Sauron cunning but deceptively peaceful. The contrast between the two men present, Aragorn and Boromir foreshadow the clash of cultures that will be so important as the story continues. Tolkien had an ear for dialogue that few even come close too. It was his job to think about words after all.

Tolkien will never be mistaken for the bestselling writers of today, but that is a good thing. It's a slow burn to be sure, but try to have some damn patience and learn to appreciate the writing. It's almost a shame that so many people know the plot of The Lord of The Rings from the movies, because the plot really is an incredible one. Peter Jackson and company had to simplify it for the big screen, which isn't bad, but takes away quite a bit from what made the books so special. (And he also had Aragorn fall off of a cliff and float down a river for some reason during The Two Towers. Never quite understood why that was necessary.)

Also, not that it REALLY matters, but Tolkien did not consider himself an Entomologist but a Philologist. It's a slight difference.

@LOTR_Dan I enjoyed your completely unbiased post, LORD OF THE RINGS_Dan... :-P

People say that Tolkien wasn't the best writer because by modern standards of storytelling, he isn't.

He built a fantastic world, blazed a trail that set the standard for a new genre of fiction, and he did indeed weave a good narrative packed full of characters and a relatively complex plot.

He also wrote overly descriptive text, focussed on wild tangents and pieces of lore only tangenitally related to the plot at hand, failed miserably at fleshing out many characters, and had no clue on how to edit and regulate to keep a story moving (something the movie edits did, for good or ill).

A part of that is, as I stated earlier, merely a sign of the times and the changing style of fiction; one only needs to look at how drastically POV has changed, for example, to realise stories are told quite differently now.

However, the fact remains that Tolkien's technical abilities as a teller of stories were flawed, and much of his work is cumbersome. It is great if you can look past that - I'm the same with Robert Jordan and his ability to write a thousand page novel with 500 pages describing the colour of Nynaeve's dress - but your ability to ignore the flaws doesn't mean they don't exist.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By hatking

I love the world, sort of can't stand the books.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By hugh_jazz

For anyone who couldn't manage reading The Silmarillion, try Children of Hurin. It has most of the same stories, as far as I can remember, but it reads more like a novel and less like a history lesson. Much recommended.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Although I am have the opinion that "The Hobbit" is superior to the Rings in every way, I don't believe you are of the ability to criticize anything.

Also, it's a Fantasy Epic, that's how they're written, the more description the better.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@BionicRadd said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@BionicRadd said:

This thread sounds like me when I tell people why I hate Nathaniel Hawthorne.

How dare you D:

hahaha. Sorry, man. I read Scarlet Letter for AP English in High School and about half a chapter of Seven Gables and I just hate the way we writes. Even in High School, I thought that guys was pretentious as hell.

Well, if you're ever willing to give him another chance I found Young Goodman Brown, The Birthmark and Rappaccini's Daughter pretty fun to read.

They were his short stories so maybe they're not as pretentious :P

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I never got past the first 200 or so pages of the first book because of this. Granted I was a kid when I was reading them, but still, I prefer books where things actually happen

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i understand how you feel. i had the same issues while trying to read his stories. i couldn't will myself to finish the first LOTR book.

Evenstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By Evenstar

I like the LOTR books and how Tolking makes it all seem so real. But even though I'm a fan, I must say that the books are quite heavy to read. Took me years to get through them, the first was best and did not take so long to get through, the second and third took much more time to get through. But I did enjoy them all.

Just like other people already suggested, try The Hobbit!!!

I've read it three times, maybe I should read it again, before the movie comes out. The book is fantastic and I know that the movie will be too!