What do you want most at this point in your life?

• 114 results
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Purpose.

Or at least the notion that what I'm accomplishing is enough, I might be too hard on myself.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By CaLe

@sooty: Honestly never had any issues with syncing between my (android) tablet and the PC since upgrading to Anki 2.0. He made that process a hell of a lot smoother with how he changed the whole way in which Anki structures information. It now takes literally seconds to sync between devices, unless you've added a lot of media. I haven't looked at iKnow in years because even when it was new it was mostly stuff I had already learned, but I remember thinking it seemed very slick in its presentation.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Yakuza 5

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I need to create something. Ever since I left college I've been working retail and sometimes I feel like it's gonna kill me. A couple of friends and I have been talking about making a game for almost two years now and I feel like starting that project is way fucking overdue.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By frymillstrum

Anything, I'll take fucking anything because at this point I have no job, no education, no real life friends, I have no opportunities to meet someone unless I did online dating and that's kind of depressing, I live with my Mom who is kind of disconnected from conversation a lot of the time and I'm unhealthy. Also I don't have Ryan Davis anymore.

So yeah I'll take anything at this point.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I want a dishwasher. I'm tired of having to do the dishes by hand. I can afford it, but I have to prepare a space for it and make sure there's a connection to the water pipe and ugh. So much work. If I had a dishwasher, I would feel a lot more satisfied with my life.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@cale said:

It's after this stage that I'd recommend getting into SRS software like Anki. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but If you use it properly it can efficiently streamline your learning.

I tried Anki before (several times, actually), and it just never worked. Gave it up a while ago and imported all my cards to Memorize.com. The results are better, in that I'm getting some type of positive results.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By CaLe

@video_game_king said:

@cale said:

It's after this stage that I'd recommend getting into SRS software like Anki. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but If you use it properly it can efficiently streamline your learning.

I tried Anki before (several times, actually), and it just never worked. Gave it up a while ago and imported all my cards to Memorize.com. The results are better, in that I'm getting some type of positive results.

It's a shame it never clicked for you, but I guess these things really are dependent on what works best for each individual. There are lot of great resources out there, and one day I came across a rather obscure one after a random google search. I never put much focus on grammar before finding it and later came to feel that was what was holding my comprehension back. You've said you'd like to understand more Japanese, so maybe you'd find it useful. I sure did. Behold! grammar.txt

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

I don't see any instructions in these files. I guess I'm supposed to read them or drill them or something?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

I don't see any instructions in these files. I guess I'm supposed to read them or drill them or something?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By CaLe

@video_game_king said:

@cale:

There's an explanation for every single piece of grammar, all 480+ of them. I learned them by using the sentences as the front card and the rest of the information on the back. The important part is to fully understand the explanation and then reinforce that by doing the sentences, over, and over... Adding more if you want. Worked really well for me. In Anki it looks something like this:

No Caption Provided

If I felt I didn't understand the sentences or had to refresh myself on the explanation I'd fail it and drill them over again. I also made my own sentences for each grammar point just to force myself to actually use it and think about it from a practical perspective. Oh and I also had some grammar audio CDs which I ripped the files from and threw into the corresponding note.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@cale said:

@sooty: Honestly never had any issues with syncing between my (android) tablet and the PC since upgrading to Anki 2.0. He made that process a hell of a lot smoother with how he changed the whole way in which Anki structures information. It now takes literally seconds to sync between devices, unless you've added a lot of media. I haven't looked at iKnow in years because even when it was new it was mostly stuff I had already learned, but I remember thinking it seemed very slick in its presentation.

I haven't used Anki in a while now, maybe over a year. It had issues syncing between iOS, Android, my PC and my laptop, computer to computer was fine, but the Android and iOS stuff simply didn't play nice with sound files which was so annoying. I like iKnow a lot as the mobile apps are excellent! I'm a pretty unique case though in that not many people will be bothered about being able to sync to this many devices. I'll finally be at university doing Mandarin and Japanese soon so that should help a lot, instead of just me mooching off iKnow and various grammar books. (which hey has gotten me pretty far as a hobby)

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By CaLe

@sooty: I believe within the last year all 3 versions have been completely redone. I haven't personally used the new iOS version but the media syncing between Android and PC works perfectly. It never worked for me with the previous versions because I didn't wanna jump through the hoops to make it work. Now it's all automatic and the only thing I need to do is hit the sync button, which is nice. I don't have much experience with Mandarin, a few classes just, but when I was juggling Korean and Japanese it got to a point where I felt I really needed to focus on one if I wanted to make real progress, and that's with them being relatively similar grammar-wise, unlike Mandarin and Japanese. Hats off to you if you can manage both!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By Sooty

@cale said:

@sooty: I believe within the last year all 3 versions have been completely redone. I haven't personally used the new iOS version but the media syncing between Android and PC works perfectly. It never worked for me with the previous versions because I didn't wanna jump through the hoops to make it work. Now it's all automatic and the only thing I need to do is hit the sync button, which is nice. I don't have much experience with Mandarin, a few classes just, but when I was juggling Korean and Japanese it got to a point where I felt I really needed to focus on one if I want to make real progress, and that's with them being relatively similar grammar-wise, unlike Mandarin and Japanese. Hats off to you if you can manage both!

Mandarin is really just a pet project, it's more extra modules we can take with my focus being Japanese. :) I dunno if I'll commit to it all the way, but since there's some crossover with their writing systems I might as well try it instead of picking extra modules in totally unrelated subjects! Good to hear about Anki, look forward to checking it out.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The key is to set small, attainable goals that will lead to your ultimate goal. And this is what I’ve done.
First, I want to be the All Being Master of Time, Space and Dimension…Then, I to go to Europe.

-Steve Martin

Blak_Knot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mo money