Avatar image for iichristian89ii
IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IIChristian89II

Im an atheist and i was just wondering what the Giantbomb community consisted of religion-wise,is there a variety? is it more of one thing and less of the other?  

Also did anyone become religious after certain circumstances ie a 'miracle' or asking for something and getting it. 

Again im just interested. Not hating on anyone. 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kishan6

ugh 
hopefully this topic wont go the wrong way like most religion topics do
im atheist

ShadowDoGG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By ShadowDoGG

I have been watching a lot of stuff on religion as I do like a bit of a controversy - there is a part of our brain which when stimulated with electricity gives the person an out of body experience (sometimes called the God helmet) and when you hear about these passages where he was struck with lightning and had a vision from God - you can see how fascinating all this turned out as everybody will have their own experience depending on religious beliefs and mood at the time.

So basically I think it is all fake but certainly wasn't just made up - it was truly experiences people had but I guess my question would be, why did this part of our brain come to exist in the first place?

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I don't know what I am. Something created the universe, but that's about where it ends. I don't begrudge people who subscribe to a religion, faith is a beautiful thing.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By gingertastic_10

I'm Christian. I may not be over religious like some, I don't go to church at all. But I still believe in a God and that things happen for a reason.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Based on my knowledge, understanding, and interpretation of the prevailing evidence, I tentatively believe that there is no god or any kind of spiritual entity. Everyone is free to believe whatever they wish, I am not bothered by that as long as it doesn't affect me or other people in a negative way. (Agnostic atheist)

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I do not agree with any religion. Christianity is a cult.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By guiseppe

I don't believe in a god (christian god) and I find the whole idea to be dumb. I am however open to the possibility of a god or a higher power, simply because I do not know how life, the universe and everything started. So my stance is whatever that makes it.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jaycee13

I think religion is healthy in most cases as it gives people a set of rules to live by. If those rules werent there things would be more chaotic.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cramsy

My exposure to Christianity has led me to believe it's crap. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i think god exists 
i think he's an asshole who likes to fuck with us 
i think his chosen religion is Islam.  
I think all religions are retarded and fucking closed minded, including Islam.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By c1337us

Organized religion sucks. But as long as it doesn't interfere with me I am happy for anyone to enjoy the benefits of being faithful to whatever belief makes them happiest.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

Im agnostic but I've recently realised how easy it is to turn to religion. My best friend friend died recently, and while that didn't turn me to religion it made me understand just how comforting it can be to believe in a creator, an afterlife and all of the other wonderful things religion promises and part of me just wishing I could believe it to help ease the pain. So while I don't believe I now see it's appeal.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Chirag4

I can see this thread going very well.

LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LincoIn

My parents raised me to be Christian but around the age of 16 I had a hard time believing in God. I do believe in a superior power of some sort, I just don't know what it is lol.

Everything that has to happened in order for us to be on this site...

Creation of our Universe>Galaxy>Solar System>Earth>Nearly 4.6 Billion Years of shaping and evolution to this very moment.

I can't see that as merely coincidence.

Avatar image for iichristian89ii
IIChristian89II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IIChristian89II
@AlisterCat said:

" Im agnostic but I've recently realised how easy it is to turn to religion. My best friend friend died recently, and while that didn't turn me to religion it made me understand just how comforting it can be to believe in a creator, an afterlife and all of the other wonderful things religion promises and part of me just wishing I could believe it to help ease the pain. So while I don't believe I now see it's appeal. "

i think i can relate to that tbh. My great grandad died when i was a little younger and part of me was hoping there was somewhere for him to go other than the ground. But that was only hope im still not convinced.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lawrens

I don't believe in a particular god, or god in general, but religion doesn't always mean a set of people believing in a superman creating a universe. There are religions that changes over time, evolve, improve. People could believe in whatever they want, it's not like I could tell you where the universe came from, people decide to believe in something simple, fine, good for them, I could be believing in 2 imaginary 11th dimension genital colliding with each other that creates this universe with nothing to back myself up, who cares, it matters on what keeps people going and giving them some sort of rules to live by as some already said, if it makes you a good person, why the hell not.

It has nothing to do with religion that people decide to be close minded about everything, and imo whether you believe in god or not, if people are going to be close minded, they're all the same to me.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djeffers03

Im an atheist. I think religion is stupid. Of course there is a right way to live but you don't need to learn it from a book or from a mystical man in the sky. 

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Agnostic here. I believe that something created us [obviously], but I do not necessarily believe it was Christians Jesus and God, nor any other religion really. But if the creator was not a being and more of a substance, I am open to qualifying that as a possibility. I just think it's odd that people who have never died believe they know what happens after life, and how life was created, the first word that comes to mind is, silly.

Yzzerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Yzzerdd

My stance is in this video

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bones8677

I'm a devout Christian but I refuse and dislike pushing my faith onto people. I leave others alone, so I wish to be left alone as well. Live and let live, eh? :-)

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By one_2nd

I'm an atheist. You should have made a poll. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zeforgotten

Atheist myself.  
But that doesn't really mean that I feel the need to go around calling everyone who has a religion stupid. 
I think it's healthy to have something to believe in, I just don't wanna be that healthy myself so the only one I believe in is myself.  

Some people think that's sad.  
I think it's sad that they worry about me instead of their own not-so-perfect lives

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Scooper

The thread title is asking our stance on religion, not out beliefs.

Personally, I think spirituality is a great thing, although I'm not really spiritual at all myself. However I think organised religion is a terrible thing, a bane on the human race.

Stooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stooch

I'm atheist, and would even go as far as to say I am 'Anti-theist'.

So I pretty much take the same stance as a Richard Dawkins or a Christopher Hitchens/Sam Harris.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TehFedro

I'm perfectly fine with religion. Myself I believe in a God but the guy doesn't bother with us. I also believe there's no Hell, i'd explain why it but i'm not good at that. I could be hypocritical though, I joke around about going to Hell with my friends if we do something that supposedly would get us into Hell.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zidane_24

I was raised Catholic. My mother's family is full of very devout Catholics, and my father's family practices no religion to speak of. Probably my sophomore year of high school I started questioning my beliefs. After thinking on it, I realized that I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead or was the son of God or any of that jazz. So, with half of Catholicism's beliefs out the window for me, I don't consider myself Catholic anymore...probably Agnostic. My mother, being the close-minded woman she is, doesn't accept that I'm not the same religion as her, and drags me to Church whenever she gets the chance.
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very much anti organized religion. I think everyone is wrong and always will be, myself included.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

christian

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mariek430

Athiest. Religions are nothing but cults.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

Atheist. 

Also, this topic will end poorly.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By simian

Viking.
I too believe that this will got the way of 99.9999% of threads that attempt to discuss religion.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By gosukiller

I would describe myself as open minded, but sceptical of religion.

And there is absolutely no sign of this topic going bad.  Just keep things civil.
That being said, two things are vital:
Faith is beautiful open-mindedness.
Religion is mass-hysteria and an excuse for closed-mindedness.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It prohibits progress and encourages ignorance. 
Religion is a cancer attacking the minds of men.

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By lightsoda

Agnostic, are all you "atheists" actually actively denying?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By trophyhunter
@gingertastic_10 said:
" I'm Christian. I may not be over religious like some, I don't go to church at all. But I still believe in a God and that things happen for a reason. "
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By crusader8463

There are a few closet Christians around the site, but the community is largely made up of atheist from what I have noticed.

As for me, well I don't know what you would call me. I believe that in all likely hood when we die that's it. We fall asleep and never wake up as we slip into the never ending that is oblivion. At the same time however, I want to believe that there is some kind of life after death because the idea of oblivion scares the shit out of me. If all we have to look forward to is growing old and dieing only to be forgotten that our existence ever happened a generation or two from now then what's the point in even living? If there is nothing after death then why not just shoot ourselves now and skip to the end? If nothingness is how it will end for everyone then whether your a Hitler or Ghandi doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. We all go to the same place while both of them will have the closest thing to immortality that anyone can hope for in being remembered forever.

I guess I just want there to be an afterlife -where we get to live forever doing whatever makes us the happiest- because I want there to be some kind of reward at the end of the shit covered road that is life to justify everything that we must go through to get there. While I am a man of science and reason, I'm also a firm believer in that literally anything is possible given the time and effort. Given that we are living in a time where there are still so many question about the universe that are still left unanswered I find myself still able to believe in the possibility of a higher power creating everything for us and that  that same higher power has an afterlife waiting for us. 

I suppose it really doesn't matter what you believe. In the end you will ether be right and get to live out forever in eternal bliss and happiness, or you're wrong and you enter oblivion and no longer exist to care one way or another. Deep down though, I really hope that it's the eternal bliss one because the alternative frightens the hell out of me.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hockeymask27
@Yzzerdd said:
" My stance is in this video

"
Wow it took tell the end of the first page. You guys are slacking. My view is also expressed in this video.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Marcsman

A crutch for the weak minded.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@simian said:
" Viking. I too believe that this will got the way of 99.9999% of threads that attempt to discuss religion. "
you know, ive been growing quite fond of the Viking culture lately.. i should convert to viking, and spend my life doing this : 

such compelling fucking lyrics. 

Lost 
But Still 
We Ride 

Search
Until 
We Die
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@S_M_S: yes, i know :P the song i posted is pretty much an Amon Amarth rip off (The Pursuit of Vikings) . but a Dethklok song is funnier to post :P 
and damn that song has a fine ass intro!!
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By tranquilchaos

Atheist. I think religions are responsible for most of the suffering around the world and I would like to see them come to an end.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hitchenson

I'm an atheist, although I believe everyone is entitled to believe what they want. If someone wants to be a Christian for example, great! More power to them, just don't preach to me or tell me I'm wrong, thanks.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44  Edited By Willy105

I support religion.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By apoptosis61

religions fucked up humanity

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Supermarius
@lightsoda said:
" Agnostic, are all you "atheists" actually actively denying? "
I am an atheist myself after being very seriously Catholic as a teen.  I  think the reason that atheists identify as atheist and not agnostic is that they have looked at the lack of evidence of a creator and decided that it seems highly unlikely that a god exists.  Then they live their lives without spending any further time thinking about or searching for a god.  An agnostic would generally be a person who has resolved that a god definitely does exist but they dont know its nature, but they are going to devote time and energy to trying to understand that nature.  Atheists dont spend their time actively denying gods existence.  The only time they really think/talk about god is when religion people bring him up, or try to inject him into laws or the school system.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@S_M_S: You got it all wrong, Troll Metal is where it's at.

majnuker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By majnuker

Drunk here, and i believe that alcohol is WONDERFUL.

Also; i see religion as a business, which may be the cause of the idea of it all being a cult etc. They make money, need to sell, and market to new customers as often as possible. It's kind of an interesting correlation once you see it. I also see science as being a religion, however it is not 'organized' religion, but rather a belief. Any scientist has a religion, and you could make the argument that atheism itself is also a religion, based on the definition of the term.

It's all quite interesting considering how we've chosen to define it, but i believe you can believe what you want as long as you don't force, persecute or harm/insult anyone because of it. But that's practically something impossible to find.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By tranquilchaos
@majnuker said:
" Any scientist has a religion, and you could make the argument that atheism itself is also a religion, based on the definition of the term.  "
This is completely wrong. Disbelief in something is not equal to a system of belief. My disbelief in Santa Claus does not mean I am now in the "anti-claus" religion. Atheism is a characteristic, not a faith. 
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Mariek430 said:
" Athiest. Religions are nothing but cults. "
This statement means nothing. 
It's like say hot dogs are nothing, but sausages. 
Well no shit!