What sort of legal wild game meat or farm grown game would you WANT to try?

• 70 results
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll What sort of legal wild game meat or farm grown game would you WANT to try? (169 votes)

None! I don't eat animals. 10%
ALLIGATOR 34%
PYTHON 25%
RATTLESNAKE 28%
BISON 41%
ELK 36%
VENISON (Deer) 31%
HARE/RABBIT 25%
DUCK 31%
WILD TURKEY 26%
KANGAROO 28%
EMU 22%
OSTRICH 24%
PHEASANT 29%
QUAIL, SQUAB, GUINEA FOWL 26%
YAK 32%
WILD BOAR 46%

I will say I want to try Yak. That is one meat I have not tried that might be interesting - I like goat.

I have tried Alligator; RattleSnake (just a bit); Bison; Deer (Venison); Rabbit (sorry, they are cute); Duck; Ostrich; and Squab. I think I would feel bad eat a Kangaroo...they are bipedal...that somehow bothers me.

• 
RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wild turkey or Bison

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wild turkey or Bison

My parents who live on Cape Cod have a whole "rafter" of wild turkeys who wander their neighborhood.

A tom and a few hens
A tom and a few hens

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Hamst3r

I've already had all of those, with the exception of python and yak. One you don't have on your list that I've had is camel.

EDIT: in general I'll try anything.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From your list, I have not eaten snake, elk, kangaroo, emu, or yak. I'd be willing to try any and all of them, though kangaroo would be the one I'd be a bit iffy about. I love duck and venison, was not a big fan of alligator.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheFlamingo352

I checked just about every box except Kangaroo.

Eating a kangaroo is fucked up, yall.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geirr

I'm a dog so I'll eat anything at least once.
I feel the list is lacking some sea-living mammals -
but then I'm from a weird country that serves chunks of whale at the local grocery store.
At some point this nation even tried to push whale burgers into the fast food business (which failed miserably).

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I eat alligator semi-regularly, as I live in not too far from Louisiana. Gator nuggz are delicious. I recommend dipping in ketchup, marinara, or cocktail sauce. Whatever floats your boat.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hans_maulwurf

I have eaten wild boar, rabbit, duck, wild turkey, pheasant, deer, elk, bison and ostrich. I would/will eat deer, duck, pheasant and boar again. I'd like to try yak. No interest in eating reptiles/amphibious creatures or anything from Australia (no offense).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've had duck and venison at some point at restaurants and thought nothing special of it. Then again I don't have particularly refined taste buds, so my interest for trying different kinds of meat is non existent. Cows and pigs taste good enough and arguably the best.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting it doesn't have bear on the list. I've eaten a goodly amount of these, but haven't had yak, python, rattlesnake, elk - and I would eat all of them.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I had elk when I was younger, but it was long enough ago that I couldn't tell you how it tastes. I'd try anything on that list really, but if I had to choose I'd go with snake. It seems like I've heard snake tastes good but I have never had the chance to try it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alligator is rad, and Quail, or really most small birds, are a huge let down. It's just a buncha bone, so unless you get it picked off the bird and from more than one bird, I find it really unsatisfying.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By AlKusanagi

Wild boar is pretty good. It has a strong smell but is more like a steak than a pork chop. I got to eat it quite a bit when I was in the boonies of Japan.

Being a military brat and traveling on my own, I think I've had everything on there but python, elk and yak. I imagine yak being fairly similar to bison.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I've had kangaroo sausage, a bit greasy but it was good.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Panda. It's bound to disappoint with their crap diet of bamboo.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theflamingo352: I figure kangaroo are like down under deer.

I would eat any of these things. Have eaten many of them, I guess.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I don't want to eat boar cuz i saw video of a boar farm and one of the baby ones escaped the pen and he was striped and tiny and possibly the cutest animal i've ever seen...

I'd eat most of the others because i'm a member of the dominant species and i get to make arbitrary decisions on what i eat based on what i find too cute or not cute enough.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'd try them all out although having tried snake I'm not so enthusiastic about that kind of meat.

Also this poll made me realise yet again how easily culture can be taken for granted. Seems totally crazy to me that there are people who've never tried duck before considering how commonplace it is around here.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I've tried all but three of those animals: alligator, python, & yak.

You should try kangaroo. It's delicious. It's a very delicate, buttery meat, and here it is often served raw on a hot stone, so that you can lightly cook the outside layer to kill any germs but still enjoy the rich flavor. It's a bit like ahi tuna, in that way.

Rattlesnake is a let down. So are most small game birds, except pheasant.

I'd be interested in trying alligator, but I'm sure it would disappoint like rattlesnake. I'm not sure that carnivores make for good meat.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My Auntie tried to diversify the animals on her farm. She tried ostriches briefly before an attempted disembowelling from the feathery velociraptors shortened the welcome of their stay. She moved on to llamas but the spitting and all and sundry was too much so went back to sheep and goats. As a consequence we got to sample the ex-tenants. Tasty, but not worth the hassle of putting up with the threat of death or constant saliva slinging. Rabbit, much less threatening but very tasty (not sure you are allowed to eat hare in the UK though, I think they have a legal 'leave us alone' thing going on).

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From this list I've already tried: Venison, Rabbit, Duck, Turkey, Ostrich, Pheasant, and Wild Boar.

I voted for alligator. I love snakes, so they're out. In fact, they're the only animal I can think of that I wouldn't eat. (Including humans! :p). Joking aside, I probably wouldn't eat any ape/monkey (I know they're not the same) either.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

You should add pigeon (it's terrible IMO).

I've tried: Alligator (not a fan); Venison (lovely meat if well-prepared); Duck (it's pretty common); Kangaroo (it makes for _delicious_ burgers - first time I tried it it was about 3am and cold out, and it made for a welcome surprise); Ostrich (didn't seem particularly notable); Pheasant (it's vaguely similar to duck, but a bit more gamey IIRC); Guinea Fowl (delicious - it's somewhat similar to chicken but with a more pronounced flavour and not as dry); Boar (on a hogroast in the early hours of the morning, you can't really beat it). I'm pretty sure I've had rabbit as well, but don't really remember it.

I'd be curious to try swan, but only because the law in the UK is _weird_:

Fellows of St John's College [Cambridge] are the only people outside the Royal Family legally allowed to eat unmarked mute swans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like hare a lot although I usually only eat in when it is in season and even then not that often. I also like boar meat and venison. Duck is super nice and pheasant is ok. I also have tried ostrich and that was ok. I would try anything on the list.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fnrslvr

I live in Australia. The kangaroo is one of our national animals, it's on the coat of arms:

No Caption Provided

We eat it anyway.

Not nearly as much as beef or chicken, mind. But it's nice and occasionally served in restaurants, and I'll probably order it if I see it on the menu. It should probably be more widespread, people actually shoot kangaroos from helicopters in the outback as part of culling exercises because there are too damn many of them.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Yak is the only thing on the list I haven't eaten, so I guess that.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We need to bring extinct animals back for the express purpose of eating them. Could go for some mastadon haunch right about now.

Other than that I have a feeling I have a general idea of how all these meats taste with the possible exception of kangaroo. That just seems an odd animal to eat.

disclosure: i've only had rabbit, duck, and quail from this list. But I feel yaks and their ilk would be close to a cow. And I hear on all accounts that alligator really does taste like chicken.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had rattlesnake as a teen, my dad got it as a gift, but it was 'canned' rattlesnake. I think he made it into chilli. So, maybe canned snake is not really proper for the taste expereince, I do remember lots of little cartilaginous bones.

I was looking up python recipes (gotta love the internet), and it seemed like many of the recipes were guesses. You hear that in Vietnam, Burma and China they eat snake. Yet I could not find any authentic asian recipes for snake with a quick look; most of the recipes that came up said, "Well we have too many pythons in Florida for we better have some recipes..." The one western chef who actually caught and prepared a Burmese Python was Gordon Ramsey! And, he (with help) caught, skinned, de-boned, and prepared the python on camera by grinding the meat. Grinding the meat seems like a good, more fool proof method for unskilled cooks than any of the other I have seen.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By notnert427

Venison, dove, duck, boar, and quail are all fantastic. Wild turkey is good, but it's pretty small compared to your butterball turkeys and whatnot. I eat all of those on the regular (I'm actually on an almost purely venison diet right now, as it's a terrific lean meat for weight loss). Of the others I've had, I've enjoyed bison, elk, gator, rattlesnake, pheasant, and rabbit.

I do a ton of wild game grilling. Provided the meat is harvested and processed well, it is great to eat, for multiple reasons. Highly recommend.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd try all of them as long as they were cooked/prepared well. I'm a lot more picky with sea food though.

I've already had duck, it's pretty good.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By clagnaught

I don't really have an interest in try a lot of game just for the sake of it. That said, quail is excellent the one time I had it, and I also like duck and bison.

I'm not opposed to eating those other animals, but it would have to be presented on a menu and wouldn't require me to go through the effort, like, say, drive out of my way to go to the alligator restaurant to eat alligator.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of these, I've had boar, bison, venison, pheasant, and duck.

Wasn't a huge fan of the venison. Too lean and gamey. Fat is what makes meat good.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rigas

i'll eat anything non poisonous and prepared well, at least once.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yawn. Call me when human flesh is on the menu and I can pick the celebrity and my choice of organ/cut of meat.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went with yak, one of the few I have not tried. You should add moose to that list. Now that's fine meat

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot to put CARIBOU, MOOSE, SQUIRREL, BEAVER, MOUNTAIN GOAT, and OPOSSUM.

I would not eat any bears, seals, wild canines (wolves, coyotes, foxes); wild cats (Mountain Lion, Bobcat, Lynx). It might very well be arbitrary, but I don't like eating most mammalian 'meat' predators. All wild dogs make me think of pet dogs, all wilds cats make me think of my own house cat; and bears...I just respect bears. Seals are assholes; but I can respect an asshole from the animal kingdom...much as a Grey seal in Boston harbor might respect Boston comedian Denis Leary.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kuku

Pheasant, peasant. One letter and we have cannibalism.

picot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely want to try wild turkey or boar, but snakes are a little beyond my comfort zone.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By monkeyking1969

I just ordered some Maui (Hawai’i) Venison. According to where I bought it, these Hawaiian Deer originating in India. They are called Axis deer and were introduced to the Hawaiian islands in the late 1800’s. The largest of the tropical deer species, these Maui axis deer have evolved in Hawai’i (without seasons, migrations and predators) resulting in less then 1% intra-muscular fat.

I will try it out in a stew, but I plan to just pan-cook some pieces just to taste it unaccompanied by other flavors. As always I will have to give my cat one of those pieces; she is fairly adamant that I have to "share the kill" with her at any special meals.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BrainScratch

Hare/rabbit, duck, and turkey are pretty common meats we eat in my country. Not as common as cow, pig, and chicken but pretty close.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

All of the above (aside from not eating tasty creatures).

Whenever bison is an option, I take it over beef. Venison, duck, and turkey and all good. Ox tail is really tasty, too. Goat is okay. Lamb is delicious. I remember enjoying pheasant. I want to say I’ve had rabbit, but I can’t place it.

I’ll try just about anything, though eating octopus/squid freaks me out whenever I do it (no, I’ve never had it alive).

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just ordered some Maui (Hawai’i) Venison. According to where I bought it, these Hawaiian Deer originating in India. They are called Axis deer and were introduced to the Hawaiian islands in the late 1800’s. The largest of the tropical deer species, these Maui axis deer have evolved in Hawai’i (without seasons, migrations and predators) resulting in less then 1% intra-muscular fat.

I will try it out in a stew, but I plan to just pan-cook some pieces just to taste it unaccompanied by other flavors. As always I will have to give my cat one of those pieces; she is fairly adamant that I have to "share the kill" with her at any special meals.

Axis deer are good eating. It's like a slightly less gamey version of the venison from your typical American whitetail deer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I think kangaroos are adorable but I am curious as to what they taste like. Bonus I don't think they are endangered or at very least the kangaroo species they use for meat. I assume the taste is similar to rabbit but I could see it kinda tasting like a weird venison/rabbit hybrid meat.

To all that voted for alligator that was just okay. When I had it was kinda disappointed as it tasted more or less like chicken with a fishy aftertaste. I'm willing to give it another chance as the restaurant could have been shit.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok said:

I think kangaroos are adorable but I am curious as to what they taste like. Bonus I don't think they are endangered or at very least the kangaroo species they use for meat. I assume the taste is similar to rabbit but I could see it kinda tasting like a weird venison/rabbit hybrid meat.

To all that voted for alligator that was just okay. When I had it was kinda disappointed as it tasted more or less like chicken with a fishy aftertaste. I'm willing to give it another chance as the restaurant could have been shit.

My wife and I took our honeymoon in Australia and had the opportunity to try kangaroo meat. It is some of the best meat I have ever tasted. We ate it grilled, with just a little salt and pepper for flavor. I remember the taste as a mix between venison and beef, although your venison/rabbit description might be apt. We also ate alligator on our trip and had the exact same opinion as you. Not our thing.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a place in Houston where I live that serves all kinds of "wild" game; they're all farm raised and don't have a gamey taste. I've had rattlesnake, yak, ostrich, elk, kangaroo...the list goes on. It's weird that I enjoy my experience when I go to this place, but when I've had family cook up venison or other game around the house the smell alone turns me off.

Having said all of that, there is still a part of my brain that feels slightly uncomfortable when I eat meat that isn't beef, poultry or fish.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

I wouldn't recommend deer; it's dry and has a weird aftertaste.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't recommend deer; it's dry and has a weird aftertaste.

Not if done correctly. Venison should be soaked and bled a bit when harvested to take away some of the gamey taste. It is best smoked on indirect heat, either bacon-wrapped or after an overnight marinade to allow for a long time cooking it. It should be served at medium-rare. Venison absolutely is not good when it is overly gamey or dry, but it should be neither of those things. It should be fork tender, at which point it's excellent.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No bear? I hear the fat in particular is awesome. Would love to harvest a bear at some point.

Elk is good.

For me it's all about unusual cuts, muscles, and organs. Bison tongue is awesome for example. I hear deer heart in a bit of bear fat makes great street taco meat if cooked carefully.

I'll have to see if I can get some kangaroo meat at some point, seeing as people like it so much.

@mikelemmer: sounds like you haven't had well prepared venison. Game meat can be tricky to prepare because its often so lean. The right cut and prep makes all the difference, as well as clean harvest. Venison spaghetti is great. Despite generally disliking game meat it's obe of my mom's favorite dishes.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Of this list I have only not eaten python, kangaroo, ostrich, guinea fowl and yak. I've eaten a lot of venison over the years, but I grew up hunting around the United States so that's probably a unique experience.