What streaming device do you use in your living room?

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Poll What streaming device do you use in your living room? (108 votes)

Roku 15%
Chromecast 11%
Amazon Fire Stick 6%
Game console 27%
PC with HDMI cable 21%
Other 15%
See results 5%

Hey all! I recently moved to a new home and want to buy a new streaming device... In our old home I was making due with my XBox 360 for streaming movies, but the menus take too long to load and its time I got something better. I'm leaning toward getting a Roku, but I've also heard good things about Chromecast and Firestick. What do you use personally? Are you happy with it, or do you wish you had something else?

• 
xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can stream on my smart tv, pc, xbox one, or ps4. But I almost always use the Xbox One since it has the cable box hooked up to it as well.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 bigsocrates  Online

Xbox One. The apps work well, I like the voice controls, and at this point I'm just used to it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

No Apple TV huh? Seems like a good poll for multiple options.

I think Chromecast is great but because I got an old surround that Chromecast doesn't support, when I want to use that, which is very often, I have to use my PS3. I connect my laptop to the TV frequently as well. I don't like PS4 as a multimedia device maybe 'cause I refuse to buy another remote. Make my PS3 remote work damnit!!

Things to keep in mind: do you use Amazon stream? iTunes? They're all competing so every device is missing a piece of the puzzle. I have access to Amazon Prime but Chromecast doesn't support so I have to use the PS3. iTunes you need an Apple TV.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was using an Apple TV until my divorce when my ex took it with her. I was quite pleased with that solution. I recently got my mother the Apple TV that could download apps and I had the older version with pre-installed handful of apps. Ironically, I found the newer one to be a lot more unreliable and janky, quitting out to it's main menu in the middle of a movie and once in a while really need to reboot to function properly. While my old one hardly ever had issues. Either way, these days I'm using my PS4 and it's doing it's job just as well as my old Apple TV for my needs.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switch back and forth between PS4 and Xbox One depending on what I'm using most at the time. I've been on a Mass Effect kick lately, so have my Xbox on a lot.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

I use a Roku and I think it's pretty swell. Although, when I say that I mean the Roku 3 I use in my bedroom. The Roku 4 I have in the living room seems to not be as good, it crashes/freezes often enough that I've gotten into the habit of rebooting it before watching anything out there. And the Roku 2 my dad still has feels excruciatingly slow and outdated now. That 3 though, it's pretty boss.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

My sister recently bought a chromecast, and while casting in-tab stuff doesn't give the best quality, the simplicity and amount of stuff you can get sent to your TV screen feels very powerful. If you're not in a position where your PC can be linked with your TV, it's definitely a great solution for the price.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use an Xbox One, which I think is ideal. I used to use a PC with an HDMI to my TV before I bought a house, which worked fine, but now my PC is in my office - not the living room. My parents have Fire TV and that seems fine too. Really, as long as it has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc I wouldn't sweat it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart tv, there really isn't much use for streaming devices anymore imo. For older tvs a roku is nice but smart tvs are so cheap these days they will obsolete soon imo.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Upstairs I use my Xbox One (which is all I use it for lately)

Downstairs just the built in service in my Sony TV which I think is Android based?

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GundamGuru

I use the Xbox One simply because, unlike my Playstations, it has an IR blaster, so I can control it with my Harmony 650 remote.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Living room, smart TV.

Bedroom, Apple TV

Den, PS4

xhaktmtjdnf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a small Dell micropc hooked up to the TV runs win10 good for youtube and streaming.