What's your Internet speed and what part of the country are you in?

• 60 results
wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm just curious, seeing how the Bombcast crew (and a lot of people on the coast, going by the various podcasts I listen to) seem to think the middle of the country has slow Internet, if any at all.

I've got 45/12 Mbps through Comcast. I live in rural Indiana about 40 miles Southeast of Chicago.

Had cable Internet since 1999, lived in approximately the same area.

Cky4890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cky4890
No Caption Provided

I live in California about 30 miles southeast of palm spring. Granted I live in a small shady part of town and my only opinions for Internet is Verizon dsl( which I have) or satellite intenet, and my current speed is about a 1 mb when traffic is low but once 8 o'clock hits it hits about 100k making utterly useless.

edit: I added a test I did with my phone

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ninnanuam

I live in Perth Western Australia. I am approximately 6 KM from the heart of the city (4 miles or so) and I have ADSL and I generally get 2-3mb I have a cap of 200 gigs a month but xbox live is unmetered.

Edited to advise its the best I can get and will be for a long ass time.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just north of Boston

No Caption Provided

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I live in a county next to Charlotte, NC.

No Caption Provided

It's worth noting that a year or so ago, our internet was 16Mbps, and the year before that it was a mere 3. It has not been so long that I have forgotten how painful slow internet is. It was at the point where if one person wanted to watch 720p video, no one else was going to be able to do anything with the internet (beyond reading text and looking at pictures). I would be playing Counter Strike GO and suddenly my ping would go up to like 300 and I'd know that someone had decided to watch something on Youtube and had conveniently forgotten how to lower the resolution. Again. These days, I can start a game download on Steam without limiting it and no one will notice and that's just fantastic.

danielssonleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By danielssonleo

Sweden represent!

They actually also offer 1000 Mb/s internet in my area, but that costs 90$ per month so it's not really worth it.

No Caption Provided

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@franstone Those figures are ridiculously good!

I'm pinging a good 27ms but downloading at 2.62Mbps.

Few things to consider here, I'm a ten minute walk from the CBD of the city I'm in, the location of the nearest exchange is a big influence as well as living in an apartment where everyone has to share the same line and the Wi-Fi standard I'm using is 802.11g which even if I upgraded wouldn't affect my performance so much anyways.

So basically I'm screwed...

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

25-30Mbps, rural N Ireland.

It's an awful lot better than I expected I'd get before moving here a couple of years ago but I'm still a bit pained that I was getting 70+ at my last place and paying the same amount for it.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By paulmako

Living in a small village in East Anglia, UK

No Caption Provided

It's preeeeeety shoddy. Most of the time it's stable enough to be fine for online games at least, it just means downloads take forever.

@danielssonleoI have a friend in Sweden and always joke about how incredible the internet there seems to be but wow, seeing some figures for it just makes me jealous! Has it always been fast?

---

Edit: For those wanting to share these neat little speed test cards, just go to Ookla, run the test, then there will be a 'share results option', choose that, copy the 'image' link url, and then choose Image in your post here, choose the 'Url address' option and post the link.

Sorry if this is patronizing but it wasn't obvious to me at first.

forevernet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By forevernet

I live in Canberra, Australia and just switched ISP so instead of 1Mb/s I now get somewhere between 2.5Mb/s to 5Mb/s on a regular day with a 500gb cap.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A whopping 60kbps in a rural ass area in Wisconsin. No I'm not kidding. It takes 6 fucking hours to download ONE GB. Suffice to say this new generation has been pretty painful.

I really can't wait to move out just for humane internet speeds.

danielssonleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danielssonleo

@paulmako: Sweden has pretty awesome internet infrastructure, especially in the major cities where they've been replacing the copper wiring with fiber since the mid 90's. In Stockholm, there is a neutral fiber network set up which most apartments are connected to, supporting up to 1000 Mb/s. So you just choose an ISP and price plan from a web portal and plug in your ethernet to a wall socket.

Outside of the fiber networks they still use DSL modems on the phone copper wire network. But they can still reach decent speeds at 10-50 Mb/s.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: I have a friend who did exactly that. He was working in IT and getting dial-up speeds and decided to move a few miles up the road where line speeds are still the same but at least he's in a satellite area and paying through the nose for an unreliable 10Mbps connection.

We used to have the best broadband coverage in Europe over here but are lagging behind badly now.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: We can get satellite internet here, actually we had it at one point, but my family (er, more like me) use way too much internet and blow through the limited data they offer you and they always penalize you by making your speeds ridiculously slow. (Like, worse than what I have now slow) Not to mention online gaming with satellite is pretty much impossible due to the latency and whatnot.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95: My mate's satellite ISP is unlimited, as far as I know, but yeah, he can't do much online gaming.

His previous solution used to be having a signal beamed from an old granny's (who lived in the town a few miles away and had great speeds) attic to a receiver at a business in the village who needed internet for work. He then leeched off the factory's connection, with their permission and paid them a few quid a month. Speed and reliability was terrible but still better than what BT were offering.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

80/20 from a small town in the middle of England, better than the 6mb we got before BT decided to lay fibre every where, but hell I wouldn't mind faster. Hah.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Middle of nowhere Ireland, I can get 4G speeds on my phone's connection but that eats the data cap, but if I need to get something big quickly I use that.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
No Caption Provided

I'm about 20 miles north of Boston.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im in West Lothian in Scotland and here what i get.

No Caption Provided

Seen it as high as 160 odd sometimes. We have no monthly limit or anything.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had broadband (cable) internet with Shaw Cable in Alberta, Canada since mid 1995 and have had at minimum a 50Mb connect since then, currently a 120Mb/5Mb with 800GB suggested limit. This testing is from Alberta to Cali

No Caption Provided

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

From small town in Lithuania . Unlimited data , 10 euros a month, fiber . Tested on pc trough WiFi, I don't know if testing directly from plugged cable would be that much different.

doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

pretty good for $42 a month with no cap an hour from Toronto.

Been hoping Google would bring Google fibre here as they make chrome here but so far its only been rumoured.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad. I'm in Jacksonville, FL. Recently they bumped everyone in the area up to their 75mbps service, and I've been getting a consistent 90 since then. They have a 250GB data cap, but for some reason it isn't being enforced on our account. I'm not complaining.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This is what I get in Washington, DC.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By rethla

Im in the middle east part of the country and my ISP specifies 50/10 so the real values are satisfactory. I can upgrade to 500/100 if i want to but theres no need to pay that extra fee. (i pay $20 a month now and 500/100 would be $70)

No Caption Provided

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online
No Caption Provided

Central Florida. No data cap. Pretty decent connection, but it's not cheap.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By odinsmana
No Caption Provided

I live in a small village in western Norway. The speed was also a lot worse until about a year ago when I changed provider, but even now it still occasionally has major slowdowns or just dissapears for a couple of minutes (this is the wireless speed).

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No Caption Provided

Austin, TX

Whenever Google finishes with the fiber circuit it will go up a little bit, and be cheaper interestingly enough.

No data cap on either.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Seikenfreak
No Caption Provided

New Jersey. My speed was like 25 Mb/s or something for awhile and then I believe I bumped up my tier for another $10 a month (to something like $60 a month) which brought it to like 55 Mb/s.. Then for some reason it randomly started going at 90 Mb/s. Not sure why. Then some time after that they informed me they were bumping up the speed for free? It was at about 120 Mb/s once that happened.. maybe a year ago? Now I just got an email a couple weeks ago that it was getting a free bump in speed again and this is my first time testing it since then..

Pretty awesome, except that I find it to be unreliable? Like loss of internet somewhat frequently. At least it feels frequent to me. Sometimes there will be days or weeks where I'll just repeatedly lose internet throughout the day. I kinda hate Comcast.

As they've talked about on the Bombcast, it's great for Steam as stuff was downloading at like 13 megs a second and now it seems like maybe 18 megs a sec. Haven't really downloaded something since the latest bump. Meanwhile consoles still show a limit of like 25 Mb/s which is why their junk is so slow.

Avatar image for supernatural_space_honky
Supernatural_Space_Honky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A whopping 60kbps in a rural ass area in Wisconsin. No I'm not kidding. It takes 6 fucking hours to download ONE GB. Suffice to say this new generation has been pretty painful.

I really can't wait to move out just for humane internet speeds.

No Caption Provided

Come to Madison.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I live in Denmark.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For those in Europe, what kind of prices are you paying?

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I have 100/10 mbit. I live on Gotland. It's an island in the Baltic Sea near the Swedish mainland. I pay 212 SEK which is $24.

mrblobby64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cabbages: Oh god I miss being south of the Forth! Had speeds like that back when I lived in Edinburgh for university but now I'm back in Fife and, well..

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Living in north Scotland, near the only town of note (but not actually in it), I've currently got this sorry state of internet.

No Caption Provided

For a week about a fortnight ago there was a problem on the phone line & it was running at less than half speed. The upload here is terrible too. BT Infinity, their fibre service, hasn't rolled out in this area, which is a bummer. On the plus-side, it's totally unlimited bandwith, still, it's not fucking cheap for what you get.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

about 19/20Mbps, South suburbs of chicago with ATT uverse, i refuse to ever use comcast again and that's the only other option here

Texas i had 60Mbps for about half the price, with a bunch of different companies to chose from. Chicago/Illinois internet is fucking terrible. One of the many terrible things about this state.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided

SomeguyJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SomeguyJohnson

Southern Indiana, first time in a long time I got more Mb/s than dollars I pay a month for my service.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I just bought a new modem and router yesterday, I was on some old shit and I was getting about 4 up and down and frequent disconnects.

ian280291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Midland UK 80 Mb down/20 Mb up

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

I live in Melbourne, Australia. My plan is 50/20 with unlimited dl

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Quantris

It's kind of impressive to see complaints about > 50Mbps. Shows how much we've advanced in such a short time and how many applications require "true broadband" levels of bandwidth to provide a good user experience.
I still remember looking at my friends 56.6 vs. my 28.8 modem with envy (US Robotics of course, as everyone back then seemed to have). And our internal network was setup on 10Mbps cables which was basically lightning-fast. Not to go all "in *my* day" here.

Up to about three years ago I was on a < 50 Mbps plan at home; it was OK for browsing and online gaming, while setting stuff like games to download overnight or while in classes was just how things worked and it seemed fine. Though these days, if you want to watch HD video or have to download multi-GB patches before playing, it becomes an annoying bottleneck (especially if you get inconsistent speeds).

Comcast is definitely charging too much for this internet-only package. But I'm lucky since my work will reimburse part of it. Should be noted this test was over WiFi but the WiFi was setup so that it isn't a bottleneck vs. direct (ping *might* be 1ms higher).

No Caption Provided

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nime

I believe I have 50 down/ 12 up at home about 30 minutes outside of Nashville. I've had 50 or 100 down in NJ, here, and in the bay area, although the prices varied a good amount.

I briefly lived an hour outside of the city out in the country and all I could get was satelite with like 100k down and a 5gb data cap. That was depressing.

At school in Nashville I have (theoretically) gigabit down through my school's line. It's pretty sweet although nothing actually utilizes it. The fastest I've ever seen download is 20MB/s. Not that I'm complaining about that speed.

No Caption Provided

felixculpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The student apartment complex I live in here in Gothenburg Sweden has it's own optical fiber net which has 1000 mB up and down - but since I've yet to buy a better router I get 100 mB up and down. Buying a router that can handle 1000 mB is just annoyingly expensive. I am probably am gonna get one which can at least handle 300.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: Yeah, 'first world problems' indeed. ;) I complain about my 30Mbps when it drops to 25 yet I have friends who live less than 10 miles away who'd kill for half that.

When all's said and done, if I can have an unlimited connection which is fast enough to stream 1080p I should be happy, anything more is just a time saver. *Should* be.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'm on the outskirts of Calgary. A few kilometres away from me is perfectly good Internet but the area I live in is relatively new so as far as I know this is the best I can do without resorting to satellite Internet with awful ping.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ry_Ry

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1502085452&lt

A few hours south of Chicago

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in upstate New York and our service is atrocious. There are only two ISPs that will service my town, and I have the best package from the better of the two companies, and at my best hour I score 2.3 MB/sec. However any download I perform on any device is throttled to go no faster than 450k. Steam, iTunes, Chrome, Firefox, doesn't matter. Our service also drops down to 0.3 MB/sec randomly throughout the day, and no troubleshooting with the ISP has ever done anything. They've never done anything helpful in any of our troubleshoot sessions, and I know the other provider is just as bad.

Whenever tech nerd friends from NYC visit, they think we live in some insane wilderness.