Why do people like action movies???????????

• 128 results
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By coolarman

I really don't understan why people like action movies. Now people listen there are a small number of action movies that i like but the majority of action movies are kind of dumb and cheesy. My definition of a good action movie if it has some sort of a story like The Dark Knight. Can someone please tell me why you like action movies. Maybe this will color my preference of movies is that my all time favorite movies are Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. So someone please explain it to me.

EDIT: Also another good action movie is Star Trek so yeah 
Cuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cuddy

there aint all the many good action movies but the ones you listed i Could Pick To Pieces.... especially Star Trek (highly overrated, but this isnt the site to do so). usually i watch i action movie when im sick and dont feel like putting my brain to use.  braindead fun usually thats what they are... its the same thing as with Horror Movies.... honestly there are only a handfull good horror movies that actually is worth watching.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tekmojo

Beats being forced to watch chick flicks.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coolarman
@tekmojo: I agree that i would watch an action film then a chick flick
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coolarman
@Cuddy said:
" there aint all the many good action movies but the ones you listed i Could Pick To Pieces.... especially Star Trek (highly overrated, but this isnt the site to do so). usually i watch i action movie when im sick and dont feel like putting my brain to use.  braindead fun usually thats what they are... its the same thing as with Horror Movies.... honestly there are only a handfull good horror movies that actually is worth watching. "
I really don't like horror movies cause i the most i have seen are really boring mainly because the majority i have seen make it seem like its obvious something scary is going to happen like a shadow coming up against a door or something like that
WalksUnseen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WalksUnseen

Kind of an odd question in a games forum being that action games constitute 90% of games lol.

Yes, most action films are cheesy and corny. But that's half the fun of them. I think people take actions films way too seriously and that's why people don't like them. Just take them as light, fun films that take you out of your everyday life.

I mean, I love films like Transformers, Top Gun, Speed etc. because they're just light fun. I prefer films like them to depressing films like There Will Be Blood. Now, I'm not saying that movies like TWBB are bad or anything, but I want a film that is just fun to watch. I want films with explosions, guns, and general ass-kickery and it's for the same reason that people play action games: cause it's awesome!

Just don't take things so seriously, man. Take the cheesiness and corniness of action films as just apart of the fun.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Suicrat

The latest in a long line of people declaring their dislike of certain genres of certain media. The saliencies of genres are their tropes and conventions, not their quality. To dismiss a genre out of hand is only harmful to the person who does it, certainly not the producers of works within that genre.

For instance, I would argue that Crank High Voltage is better than Citizen Kane. Based on what metrics is the key though, and for me, the metrics that demonstrate the superiority of CHV over CK are excitement, dynamism, unpredictability, audio (everything from score to sound effects), and cinematography. While it is true that Citizen Kane laid the framework for many of the tropes and conventions of "Oscar-worthy" films.

Action movies are the best movies (especially action comedies) because their pretense is their ability to entertain, not their ability to present a skewed view of reality. Presenting a skewed view of reality are what the movies that are nominated for Oscars do best, and many do so in a very pretentious way, and if it isn't done pretentiously, it's done patronizingly, and what is the value in spending 10 dollars to be told by rich people how crappy it is to live in a consumer culture.

When action movies hit the right notes, they are far more entertaining than when dramas, tragedies, romances, and so-called 'think-pieces' do.

The truth of the matter is 98% of all art in all media of entertainment (be it sculpture, poetry, music, film, painting, theatre, video games) are crap, because our entire culture is obsessed with contributing to it through media (as opposed to productivity) and so the market for entertainment media and art is flooded with shit by people wishing to make a living via masturbation

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By teh_destroyer

The definition of an action movie is loud, cheesy, and lots of explosions. I disagree that The Dark Knight is an action movie though.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By cinemandrew
@Suicrat said:
"Based on what metrics is the key though, and for me, the metrics that demonstrate the superiority of CHV over CK are excitement, dynamism, unpredictability, audio (everything from score to sound effects), and cinematography."
Cinematography? Really? I certainly can't deny your opinion, but I really have to ask why?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

the dark knight, in comparison to other action movies, has a story?

you really consider that WHY SSSOO SSSERIUSSSS movie the greatest action movie?

why would i waste time trying to explain why some action movies are fucking ACE to someone who appreciates the dark dick that much ? 

im neither disrespecting you nor judging you but its really a waste of time, enjoy the dark knight.......
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By crunchUK

they have... action in them? Just a thought...

Cuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cuddy
@coolarman said:
"
@Cuddy said:
" there aint all the many good action movies but the ones you listed i Could Pick To Pieces.... especially Star Trek (highly overrated, but this isnt the site to do so). usually i watch i action movie when im sick and dont feel like putting my brain to use.  braindead fun usually thats what they are... its the same thing as with Horror Movies.... honestly there are only a handfull good horror movies that actually is worth watching. "
I really don't like horror movies cause i the most i have seen are really boring mainly because the majority i have seen make it seem like its obvious something scary is going to happen like a shadow coming up against a door or something like that
"
Well have you seen The shining? a well done movie indeed and probably the only Horror movie i actually like... ok... Evil dead 2 and 3 i love also but they are comedy movies and hilarious  :P
but again to my point.... there really are not all that many good movies in any genre and i could pick alot of the popular movies to pieces with critisism. i went to the cinema last night and watched Terminator Salvation... and oh god.... that was a Snoozer if anything... and seriously a computer standing there talking. telling its plans to one of the characters is just DUMB a computer isnt prone to going all "hey look how smart my plan is ho ho ho..." dumb scripts and directors please stop making crap :|
DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

I don't care what you say about Action movies but the Die Hard Series is just awesome.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

It's movie escapism. People like to watch an action hero do unrealistic and impossible stunts because it provides entertainment and reinforces the good 'ol "good vs. evil" fight. One of my favorite movies, Die Hard, is the perfect action movie. There is a lot of great, well-choreographed action scenes and the good win out in the end, a feel good ending for the typical audience. Not to mention the humor that is present in the film is hilarious as well as the unforgettable characters (Hans Gruber). Those are the other aspects that a good action movie must cover.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kmdrkul
@coolarman said:
" I really don't understan why people like action movies. Now people listen there are a small number of action movies that i like but the majority of action movies are kind of dumb and cheesy. My definition of a good action movie if it has some sort of a story like The Dark Knight. Can someone please tell me why you like action movies. Maybe this will color my preference of movies is that my all time favorite movies are Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. So someone please explain it to me.

"
Different people have different ways of being entertained.  Some people enjoy the cheap thrills and mindless explosions while others prefer the drama and tense stories.  You can argue that in an action movie you experience what it's like to often time live in a world or step in the shoes of a life drastically different than yours, like the escapism of traveling into one of the cities out of a superhero movie or stepping into James Bond's shoes. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

Star Trek and The Dark Knight are action movies?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TwoOneFive
@HandsomeDead said:
" Star Trek and The Dark Knight are action movies? "
most definitely, they contain lots of action, especially Star Trek. 
But that isn't to say they were dumb and cheesy. I thought they were both well written, directed, and acted films. 
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" I don't care what you say about Action movies but the Die Hard Series is just awesome. "
amen to that
SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

Action movies are for when I don't want to think.  I don't watch too many of them, though.

However!  If you apply that logic to it (that they are movies for when people don't want to think), it is easier to understand why they are so popular. 

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By damswedon
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Suicrat
@cinemandrew:

I'm not going to pretend that Citizen Kane didn't break far more new ground at the time it was produced than Crank High Voltage at the time of its release. Those undershots, dynamic angles (through the snowglobe, et cetera) were absolutely ahead-of-their-time. But Crank 2 is shot and edited in such a way as to be overwhelming, yet totally intune with the story at the same time. It is as though a man with a handycam is trying to keep up with this exceptional badass, Chev Chelios.

Obviously putting a camera on rails is the modern equivalent of the steadi-cam chase, so maybe I'm giving too much credit to technology. But ask me what is more enjoyable from a purely visual standpoint, and I will always tell you Crank High Voltage.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@coolarman said:
"I really don't understan why people like action movies. Now people listen there are a small number of action movies that i like but the majority of action movies are kind of dumb and cheesy. My definition of a good action movie if it has some sort of a story like The Dark Knight. Can someone please tell me why you like action movies. Maybe this will color my preference of movies is that my all time favorite movies are Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. So someone please explain it to me.

"

Sometimes I like action movies that are dumb and cheesy because they're fun to watch.  Sometimes I just want to sit back and watch things go crazy.  Sometimes I like the stories of action movies(The Dark Knight and Terminator 2) and sometimes they're completely unneccessary(Commando and Cobra) so I'll watch them because they're dumb.  I watch movies to be entertained and action movies entertain me.

You may not know what dumb and cheesy really is if you don't start watching most of Stallone's movies.  They're stupid and amazing.  So very amazing.
Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Has anyone seen "Taken" ? If there is one movie that will sell you on the genre, it would have to be that one, in my humblest of opinions.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Black_Rose

They offer some cheap adrenaline rush for most people. Personally I've never been a fan of the genre, except for the Bond films, but they're mostly a combination of thriller with action.

billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By billcosby2004

Dude, Aliens!  Game over man!  Game over!  Also, Die Hard, Speed, Terminator 2, lots of good ones

In response to your query, we like them because they have explosions, murdering dudes and sometimes boobies. 

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RetroIce4

Because people like action...

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#27  Edited By EpicSteve

Because we're Americans.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By CL60

Too have fun?

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By luce

action movies are fun when watching it with friends

otherwise they're too stupid to take seriously

most of them atleast

billcosby2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By billcosby2004
@FiestaUnicorn said:
"
@coolarman said:
"I really don't understan why people like action movies. Now people listen there are a small number of action movies that i like but the majority of action movies are kind of dumb and cheesy. My definition of a good action movie if it has some sort of a story like The Dark Knight. Can someone please tell me why you like action movies. Maybe this will color my preference of movies is that my all time favorite movies are Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption. So someone please explain it to me.

"
Sometimes I like action movies that are dumb and cheesy because they're fun to watch.  Sometimes I just want to sit back and watch things go crazy.  Sometimes I like the stories of action movies(The Dark Knight and Terminator 2) and sometimes they're completely unneccessary(Commando and Cobra) so I'll watch them because they're dumb.  I watch movies to be entertained and action movies entertain me.You may not know what dumb and cheesy really is if you don't start watching most of Stallone's movies.  They're stupid and amazing.  So very amazing. "

Yes!  like Over the Top, where Stallone has to armwrestle to save his kid.  Also, Steven Seagal movies are a breeding ground for unintentional comedy.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead

This thread shows not only a complete show of elitism but how bad the action genre has become. Take films like Terminator, Terminator 2, The Matrix, RoboCop, Last Boy Scout, Taken, Die Hard, Speed, Aliens and many more aren't dumb. The premises may be unrealistic but they're well written, exciting and have more interesting characters and situations than most 'serious' films. In fact, the first four I list there probably have more depth than a lot of the movies that get nominated for the Best Film Oscar every year.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Nasar7

Escapism

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By coolarman
@HandsomeDead said:
" This thread shows not only a complete show of elitism but how bad the action genre has become. Take films like Terminator, Terminator 2, The Matrix, RoboCop, Last Boy Scout, Taken, Die Hard, Speed, Aliens and many more aren't dumb. The premises may be unrealistic but they're well written, exciting and have more interesting characters and situations than most 'serious' films. In fact, the first four I list there probably have more depth than a lot of the movies that get nominated for the Best Film Oscar every year. "
I am talking about modern action films. Films with Statham in it or some other guy like that. Also i have seen Terminator 1 and 2 and i really liked them as well as the new one but most other ones are pretty stupid and i prefer serious films because its deep and awesome. Like the Shawshank Redemption
coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By coolarman
@HandsomeDead said:
" This thread shows not only a complete show of elitism but how bad the action genre has become. Take films like Terminator, Terminator 2, The Matrix, RoboCop, Last Boy Scout, Taken, Die Hard, Speed, Aliens and many more aren't dumb. The premises may be unrealistic but they're well written, exciting and have more interesting characters and situations than most 'serious' films. In fact, the first four I list there probably have more depth than a lot of the movies that get nominated for the Best Film Oscar every year. "
I am talking about modern action films. Films with Statham in it or some other guy like that. Also i have seen Terminator 1 and 2 and i really liked them as well as the new one but most other ones are pretty stupid and i prefer serious films because its deep and awesome. Like the Shawshank Redemption
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Suicrat

"Deep and awesome"?

What the hell does that even mean? Granted, Shawshank Redemption is a really good movie, but does anyone else get the feeling this guy's conceit is totally manufactured in an attempt to seem intelligent?

WalksUnseen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WalksUnseen
@Suicrat said:
""Deep and awesome"?What the hell does that even mean? Granted, Shawshank Redemption is a really good movie, but does anyone else get the feeling this guy's conceit is totally manufactured in an attempt to seem intelligent?"

Yeah, like most film critics out there.

Seriously, does everything have to be "deep"? Does everything have to make complete and total sense to be entertaining? It's cinema people. And compelling cinema is whatever you want it to be.
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BigBoss1911

Die Hard is one of the best action movies.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@WalksUnseen said:
"
@Suicrat said:
""Deep and awesome"?What the hell does that even mean? Granted, Shawshank Redemption is a really good movie, but does anyone else get the feeling this guy's conceit is totally manufactured in an attempt to seem intelligent?"
Yeah, like most film critics out there. Seriously, does everything have to be "deep"? Does everything have to make complete and total sense to be entertaining? It's cinema people. And compelling cinema is whatever you want it to be. "

WalksUnseen, you hit the nail right on the fuckin' head. I guess there's no room for "Stupid Fun" anymore, everything is serious business now. That's why I love reading the reviews of Roger Ebert, because he's a guy that just loves going to the movies. Most critics these days don't even give movies like "Crank: High Voltage" a chance because they're so dumb. What they don't get is that the point of the film is for it to be dumb. Not every movie has to be a heartwarming tale of a minority child with cancer who magically rises above impossible odds to become a success story with the help of a whimsical group of friends and a few tearjerker scenes. Sometimes you just need to leave your brain at the door and go along for the ride.
Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Number1

Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, and the Shawshank Redemption

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ALL THOSE MOVIES SUCK!!!!  Nothings wrong with action movies somethings wrong with you,

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"

@WalksUnseen said:
"
@Suicrat said:
Yeah, like most film critics out there. Seriously, does everything have to be "deep"? Does everything have to make complete and total sense to be entertaining? It's cinema people. And compelling cinema is whatever you want it to be. "

WalksUnseen, you hit the nail right on the fuckin' head. I guess there's no room for "Stupid Fun" anymore, everything is serious business now. That's why I love reading the reviews of Roger Ebert, because he's a guy that just loves going to the movies. Most critics these days don't even give movies like "Crank: High Voltage" a chance because they're so dumb. What they don't get is that the point of the film is for it to be dumb. Not every movie has to be a heartwarming tale of a minority child with cancer who magically rises above impossible odds to become a success story with the help of a whimsical group of friends and a few tearjerker scenes. Sometimes you just need to leave your brain at the door and go along for the ride. "
The problem is though, that people have made that distinction and action with brains seems completely unacceptable these days. Just take Quantum of Solace as a prime example of a movie which is terrible because it doesn't expect the audience to think about the actual movie itself and to just sit back and enjoy pointless explosions.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Why would I not  want to see some really hot guy drive a really  fast car/motorcycle, blow stuff up and beat people senseless for no reason?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJOR64

Cause they go BOOOOOOOOOM and dudes go HI YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.  Stuff like that.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DukesT3

To see a bunch of shit blow up for no reason?

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DukesT3

To see a bunch of shit blow up for no reason?

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By cinemandrew
@Suicrat: I personally don't agree, but I see your point. They're trying new things, and that's good, but I'm not really a fan of the whole "guy with handicam" thing. I was a little confused by this comment though.

@Suicrat said:
"Obviously putting a camera on rails is the modern equivalent of the steadi-cam chase, so maybe I'm giving too much credit to technology."
Are you talking about a dolly on tracks vs. a steady-cam? If so, neither one is a modern equivalent of the other, they're just different techniques. Both are used very frequently in films today.
On a small side note. Steady-cams are awesome. I got to play around with one once while key gripping on a T.V. Pilot, and it was such a blast. This was the full sized one too, so it was heavy as fuck, but awesome to run around with. We also had one of the first 100 Red One cameras mounted on it too, so that day was just rediculously cool all around. Anyway, I'm done bragging.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Suicrat
@cinemandrew:
Clearly you know more about this stuff than I do, Andy.

But what I meant was the dolly on tracks was one of the innovations brought about during Orson Welles' era, and that nowadays it is being foregone in favour of the mobile steadicam. Though if they're both used with equal frequency, then obviously I'm wrong about the latter being to modern cinema what the former was to cinema of the post-war era.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@HandsomeDead said:
The problem is though, that people have made that distinction and action with brains seems completely unacceptable these days. Just take Quantum of Solace as a prime example of a movie which is terrible because it doesn't expect the audience to think about the actual movie itself and to just sit back and enjoy pointless explosions."
I don't think I completely understand what you mean by "action with brains". Do you mean movies that are self aware like Shoot 'Em Up....? Or am I way off base here? Example for the village idiot please.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By maxszy

Action movies are intense and show great spectacles. They are much more than just mindless fun.

There are great action movies, and really bad ones. They can be REALLY bad but to say something like "I don't get why people like these movies" is a little harsh. They can get bad, and really cheesy but overall, they are an entertaining experience.

We do watch movies for entertainment right? Not always to have some philosophical message.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
"
@HandsomeDead said:
The problem is though, that people have made that distinction and action with brains seems completely unacceptable these days. Just take Quantum of Solace as a prime example of a movie which is terrible because it doesn't expect the audience to think about the actual movie itself and to just sit back and enjoy pointless explosions."
I don't think I completely understand what you mean by "action with brains". Do you mean movies that are self aware like Shoot 'Em Up....? Or am I way off base here? Example for the village idiot please. "
I mean films where the action is part of the film and the scenes matter rather than just being an expensive set piece. Take the Dyson factory shootout in Terminator 2, for example. While it's a great action scene, it also fits in perfectly with the plot and features a few key character moments like the T-800 mowing down all the cops but not killing any of them and Miles Dyson killing himself because he knows what he may cause in the future. In a film like Terminator Salvation, there is nothing like that. Christian Bale gets in a helicopter that gets shot down about 3 seconds later. Does it look cool: Yes, but it has absolutely zero impact because you have no investment in the characters or storyline.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By jakob187

Wait, are you trying to rag on classic amazingness like:

• Terminator 2: Judgment Day
  • Predator
  • Demolition Man
  • Crank
  • Missing in Action
  • Under Siege
  • Timecop
  • Bullitt
  • Lethal Weapon

...and others?

What is wrong with YOU, sir?  The Dark Knight may have been a good movie, but an ACTION movie?  That movie was more of a genre film than anything!