Will Ipad/Kindle etc ever replace books for you?

• 62 results
Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unilad

I recently got an Ipad, and I do use it quite often to read my subscriptions and daily newspapers. However, I still have a preference for reading an actual paper book/novel etc.

I was just wondering what you think, and whether you will, have or never will replace a book with screen.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EXTomar

It kind of have for me. I haven't bought a physical book in quite awhile. I don't know if I would use something like a Kindle to replace newspapers or magazines though.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By BrittonPeele

Replace? No. But I do read a ton on my Kindle, and don't intend to stop. It's way too convenient and comfortable. But I'm also addicted to having a large collection of physical books, and I don't see that ever stopping, either.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BaneFireLord

Unless it becomes literally impossible to get a physical copy of a book, no, e-readers will not supplant paper for me. 
For magazines, though, I'm perfectly fine with digital versions.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By _Zombie_

Considering I'm almost broke enough to not be able to afford books? Not in the foreseeable future, they aren't.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Yes. I like the idea of buying a book without having to leave my home or wait for delivery.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lysergica33

Magazines? Sure. Actually booky books? Never. There is no replacement for a nice hardback, leatherbound tome.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Already have, for years now.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

They haven't yet so I'm guessing they won't.

Avatar image for baconandwaffles
baconandwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By baconandwaffles

I don't want to sound condescending, but this is a pretty silly question. The massive popularity of e-reeaders has already answered the question - the reason you buy an e-reader (actual e-ink readers, not tablets) is to replace physical books. I own hundreds of books and I can count on two hands the number of books I have bought since I got my first e-reader (the original Nook) a few years ago.

I used to love physical books, used to love going into a bookstore and broweing (and of course buying! How else do you end up with such a large collection?), but now Amazon is my bookstore of choice and I rarely go to bookstores anymore...

sissylion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sissylion

My Kindle was cool in that it let me read a bunch of classic literature and doctrines for free. Books are cool in that when someone accidentally steps on the bag that I keep them in they aren't instantly rendered useless.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Never for me, but the Kindle/etc is pretty cool nonetheless.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperCycle

Completely I would much rather have a digital version than a physical copy. Paper is a dying industry. Digital just offers so much more than paper ever could. Could you even imagine a site like Giant Bomb as a newspaper, it just wouldn't work.

Tonyyj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tonyyj

I personally love the feel and smell of a good book and the act of flipping pages so no, e-books will never replace physical books for me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

I feel like it will, but I am fighting the urge to buy a Kindle as deeply as I can. I like having a big bookcase with my collection of novels on it, but I hate not having room so if I find myself in a situation where I've run out of space I'm sure I'd rather have a Kindle.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By MariachiMacabre

There's something about the feel of an actual book in my hands that a Kindle can't recreate so I think I'll stick to nice hardcover books.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monetarydread

I'm a lot more receptive to an all digital book future than an all digital game future. My Sony reader (amazon does not have a digital book store where I live) is almost the only device I read on and I will jump on a new one if E-ink fixes its refresh rate problem.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Nev

They have for a few years for me already. I got my Kindle in 2010, and haven't bought a non-digital book since.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

If I had an iPad, it probably would. Holding books while lying down has always caused a lot of pain, because it's hard to find a good way to hold it where your entire body is in a comfy position without covering the lightsource. Although, a good collection of books does look really good on my shelves. 

For comic books though, definitely. It's infinitely more convenient especially since there's barely any good comic book stores here so it's nigh impossible to keep up.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I like physical books too damn much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Kindle has replaced all books (expect for the occasional book that just isn't available yet) for me. The iPad doesn't cut it for me because of eye-strain, weight, and battery life. It's fine for a supplemental thing, as in I don't have my Kindle, but I can pick up on a book where I left off on the Kindle app situation.

The one case for an iPad for reading would be comic books, but that's just not a medium I'm all that interested in.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Venatio

This might sound weird, and it even is so a little bit for me but I only read books on my iPhone these days. I know what you're thinking, small screen, but I've gotten so damn used to reading on my 4S now. I love the screen

binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By binhoker

No. I have something close to two thousand books in my home and there are literally the only physical media I keep. I'm going around india for a few months and might get a kindle to save space ( normally my luggage is about 60% books) but any book I read on kindle while away I will probably pick up a " real " copy of.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scrawnto

My iPad has absolutely replaced paperbacks for me. However, I still have a love for art books, coffee table books, and the like, and an iPad won't replace that. My copy of Raising the Bar, which chronicles the art design of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, is one of my favorite possessions. I absolutely love that sort of thing.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

No. I like writing in my books, I don't like managing data or batteries, I don't like waiting for the device to decide to change the page, I would never read on a regular LCD screen, and I'm a big fuddy-duddy romantic anyway.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

If all books show up on Kindle, yes.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By llamaegg
One of these two reading contraptions where bought today. Here's a hint; it's the book.
One of these two reading contraptions where bought today. Here's a hint; it's the book.
sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sockemjetpack

I prefer the feel and smell of a new book. Also they don't need charging. The only thing that an e-book has over a real book in my mind is the crispness of the lettering. Ever try to read a book at night without having a lamp right beside you? Not fun.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan

I like me some books, but someday if I end up travelling a lot then a thick-ass novel is not going be a great road buddy, so a thin E-reader will be great.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ravenlight

I think that, right now, both mediums have their place. It's great to be able to carry around and entire library's worth of books on a tablet but I wouldn't trust myself to read on an iPad in the bathtub.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By breadfan
@Vegetable_Side_Dish
Nah, I like physical books too damn much.
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Justin258

The only reason I would actually want physical books is because having a nice and organized shelf of them is nice and feels pretty good, as opposed to just having a little iPad or Kindle.

A way to read books digitally and on the go is logically so much better than having to pick one book and carry it all around with you. Am I saying that physical books have no value? No! It's a lot easier to get attached to a physical book and simply having that new book smell and feeling the paper between your fingers as you thumb through the pages is a joy. Still, it's impossible to escape the fact that you could carry your entire book collection in your back pocket, anywhere you want to go, so I have indeed switched completely to Kindle.

EDIT: Except in the case of libraries. It would still be possible to have stationary Kindles or some sort of computer reading thing set up in libraries, but for now I can go into a library and rent any book for free. No charge. And take it home and read it at my leisure. That sort of thing is priceless when it comes to keeping people educated and keeping people reading, and it's so great for any community to have a public library. Digital reading media hasn't quite figured out how to do this yet, and I doubt it ever will because it isn't exactly profitable, so there is a logical benefit for keeping physical media.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By strainedeyes

Yes. I see no future where I buy another real book. I don't read that often, but I much prefer my Kindle to a physical book.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SSully

Kindle has replaced normal books for me already. I haven't bought a physical book, except for school and programming books, in about 4 years now.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By koolaid

Already did.

The only thing I read before my iPad was RPG rulebooks. Now that I have my digital books, I read a lot more novels and comics and such.

I still have rules books around my house though. All rulebooks should be giant tomes.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PillClinton

Already has! I welcome our paperless future with open arms!

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By TehFlan

If it's cheaper to buy a book electronically, I usually will. I suppose that means it could replace physical books for me. I do enjoy the smell of a new book though, so it's hard to say.

BrandonPckrfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BrandonPckrfn

Already has, I love real books, but between wife and myself we have to many books that are sitting in boxes as is. I love reading on the iPad, the night theme is awesome for bed and not to bad on my eyes. Plus, they are usually much cheaper online.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#39  Edited By MightyDuck

I'm still a fan of the tactile feeling of having a book, magazine, or newspaper that I can read in my hands.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ch3burashka

Kinda has. I will hold out and wait for a book to come via the library, but I have no qualms with digi-books.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zella

I use my phone for reading books almost every night/morning, in the night I love having an illuminated screen instead of fussing with my lamp to get in a position that's both possible to read in and comfortable. It's also useful when I am out and have to wait for a few minutes I'll just pull out my phone and read, since I almost always have my phone on me. I still enjoy reading from a physical book but I don't have the love some people do for the feel of the paper, sense of ownership, etc. I'm gonna be getting a tablet soon and can't wait to begin using it to read.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RE_Player1

I haven't bought a physical book in years and I love it. No more clutter in my room.

Adaurin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Adaurin

For text-based books I prefer using my Kindle. For things like Calvin & Hobbes or The Walking Dead, I prefer physical copies for my collection. For magazines I could go either, but I don't have a color kindle and I don't really read magazines.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By casper_

i've been trying to read more novels on my kindle recently because its less clutter and there are tons of free public domain books out there but i still prefer physical books for reasons i can't explain.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mrpandaman

@Adaurin said:

For text-based books I prefer using my Kindle. For things like Calvin & Hobbes or The Walking Dead, I prefer physical copies for my collection. For magazines I could go either, but I don't have a color kindle and I don't really read magazines.

This is the same answer I have. Anything that is graphic in nature a physical copy to me is always better than a digital one, but books that are predominantly text I like better digitally.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#46  Edited By LordAndrew

No, not ever. I prefer owning and having control over my books. There are cases where I may not care, but most of the time I am not willing to surrender control of my books to a single company.

One case where I'm perfectly fine with e-books is for public domain works. I can already get them anywhere, legally, for free. If the book becomes inaccessible for whatever reason, I'll just get it some other way. There is no risk.

FifiChiaPet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FifiChiaPet

My Kindle has replaced most books for me at his point. But I still buy a lot comic book issues as I am not yet satisfied with the digital options for those.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SexyToad

For me personally no. But my school is switching to iPads from textbooks this year.

Digiwth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Digiwth

My kindle already has.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers