Would you believe in God if there was scientific evidence?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I ask this question a lot, and people never have a good answer: Since when did religion have anything to do with GOD? It's always been about governing the masses, sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad. Love your neighbor, kill the a-rab. That's religion. God was added in as extra incentive.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Hewkii
atejas said:

You're thinking of deism, which is people that firmly believe in god without knowing why.
good god, I'm more of a deist then I thought I was. I love it.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153  Edited By atejas
Arkthemaniac said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"I don't appreciate how many people in this thread are taking Spaghetti Monster's name in vain."
Oh sweet Christ, people on Giant Bomb are actually mentioning that douchebag's "Spaghetti Monster" crap?

That's it. GIANT BOMB HAS OFFICIALLY GONE TO HELL."

HURR making fun of relishun is bad!
In any case, I'm more of a Celestial Teacup kind of guy, myself.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#154  Edited By Vaxadrin

My parents took me to Sunday School every weekend all summer as a child at the Spaghetti Warehouse down by the waterfront.  I am eternally grateful for the enlightenment I received as a result.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"My parents took me to Sunday School every weekend all summer as a child at the Spaghetti Warehouse down by the waterfront.  I am eternally grateful for the enlightenment I received as a result."
You never cease to amuse me.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#156  Edited By DualReaver

You should come with me brothers.
Scientology is the only true religeon and it will enlighten you for only $9.95!
That's right not $99.95! Only $9.95!!!
Call now and we'll double the offer, you and your spouse can achieve enlightenment for only $9.95!

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Otacon

I wouldn't call this evidence, reasoning at best. The Bible is a big book and is open to interpretation. Scientifically though, we do not know the source of energy, what was the first move. All God could have done was set up the laws of Physics, If he were the perfect theistic God then thats all he would need to do. The rest follows suit. We shouldn't be searching for a spirit in the sky, we should be looking to discovr the origin of energy.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Vaxadrin
atejas said:
"You never cease to amuse me."
Be glad I have a shitty job, or else I might not spend all day on the internet making jokes. :P
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#159  Edited By kush
atejas said:
"Kush said:
"Technically Yes. If there was proof then no could deny his existence. But religion would then be pointless because faith is the key to religion. The belief in something blindly...If you have proof, then you can't exactly have faith. That's why I think those who are agnostic are just wasting their time."

You're thinking of deism, which is people that firmly believe in god without knowing why.
Agnostics believe there may or may not be a god of any nature."
No...I wasn't referring to the people who firmly believe in God as wasting their time, but Agnostics like I said.I am sort of jealous of those people who can believe. I think it would make life a bit easier at times, but it's just not me.
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Mourne
Vaxadrin said:
"My parents took me to Sunday School every weekend all summer as a child at the Spaghetti Warehouse down by the waterfront.  I am eternally grateful for the enlightenment I received as a result."
I found my new best friend.

Also, for the record: This topic is now officially the greatest topic of all time.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By atejas
Otacon said:
"I wouldn't call this evidence, reasoning at best. The Bible is a big book and is open to interpretation. Scientifically though, we do not know the source of energy, what was the first move. All God could have done was set up the laws of Physics, If he were the perfect theistic God then thats all he would need to do. The rest follows suit. We shouldn't be searching for a spirit in the sky, we should be looking to discovr the origin of energy."

You know, I was wondering what it would be like to see sanity in a religion thread.
It feels fuzzier than I expected.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Arkthemaniac
atejas said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Vaxadrin said:
"I don't appreciate how many people in this thread are taking Spaghetti Monster's name in vain."
Oh sweet Christ, people on Giant Bomb are actually mentioning that douchebag's "Spaghetti Monster" crap?

In any case, I'm more of a Celestial Teacup kind of guy, myself."
Making fun of religion isn't bad, it's pointless. And the Spaghetti Monster is retarded and firmly cements Dawkins into the hall of assholes, along with John Wilkes Booth and that rat that caused the plague. He forgot the point of religion, but hey, so did the church and the believers.
Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

That evidence is bullshit.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Mourne

http://onwhoseauthority.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg

:O

The miracles of faith.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By atejas
Arkthemaniac said:
"atejas said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Vaxadrin said:

In any case, I'm more of a Celestial Teacup kind of guy, myself."
Making fun of religion isn't bad, it's pointless. And the Spaghetti Monster is retarded and firmly cements Dawkins into the hall of assholes, along with John Wilkes Booth and that rat that caused the plague. He forgot the point of religion, but hey, so did the church and the believers."
Oh, fuck, my bad.
I thought you were a bible-thumper.
Forgive me plz?
Honestly, though, I dont mind religion as much as creeds.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Arkthemaniac
atejas said:
"Oh, fuck, my bad.
Forgive me plz?
Honestly, though, I dont mind religion as much as creeds."
No, I don't thump bibles. I just agree with some of the messages conveyed by them. Like "love thy neighbor" and "Don't kill people." That's what sets me apart from the Church.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Vaxadrin

The nuns would actually literally "lash us with a wet noodle".  They soon realized the expression was not to be taken literally, as the way it flops down harmlessly and sticks to the skin made it a very ineffective form of punishment.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mourne
Arkthemaniac said:
"atejas said:
"Oh, fuck, my bad.
Forgive me plz?
No, I don't thump bibles. I just agree with some of the messages conveyed by them. Like "love thy neighbor" and "Don't kill people." That's what sets me apart from the Church."
Well, in all fairness, the Bible has so much murder, infanticide, and rape in it that it probably is best they put in "Hey, whoa now! Don't actually do this part!" to ensure lowly peasants didn't go out on weekends to re-enact their favorite passages.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Vaxadrin

Then there was the one time Father O'Malley called me into his office to show me what he referred to as a "delicious noodle with cream sauce".  It was a lot saltier than the Alfredo I was used to.

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#170  Edited By Terrell

The fact that I'm able to wake up morning after morning is enough evidence for me to know that God is real!  Plus the sky, the ground, etc etc etc....

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mourne said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"atejas said:
"Oh, fuck, my bad.
Forgive me plz?
No, I don't thump bibles. I just agree with some of the messages conveyed by them. Like "love thy neighbor" and "Don't kill people." That's what sets me apart from the Church."
Well, in all fairness, the Bible has so much murder, infanticide, and rape in it that it probably is best they put in "Hey, whoa now! Don't actually do this part!" to ensure lowly peasants didn't go out on weekends to re-enact their favorite passages."
That's why I said "some".
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Mourne
Terrell said:
"The fact that I'm able to wake up morning after morning is enough evidence for me to know that God is real!  Plus the sky, the ground, etc etc etc...."
Glad to see we're all objective!
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Mourne
Arkthemaniac said:
"Mourne said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"atejas said:
"Oh, fuck, my bad.
Forgive me plz?
Well, in all fairness, the Bible has so much murder, infanticide, and rape in it that it probably is best they put in "Hey, whoa now! Don't actually do this part!" to ensure lowly peasants didn't go out on weekends to re-enact their favorite passages."
That's why I said "some"."
Why not be of any number of other religions, then? Was it because you were born into a tradition, aka, Christianity?

There are plenty of religions with much better moral principles than Christianity, but they're all just as illogical.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Vaxadrin

When I was 16 my parents sent me to Chef Boyardee camp.  I was a little put off at first by the way they would dunk each other in vats of Spaghetti-O's to cleanse each other of their sins, but once I really got into the groove with chanting in Latin I was totally feeling it.  I'm reminded of it every time we do shots of Ragu at church for communion.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By atejas
Terrell said:
"The fact that I'm able to wake up morning after morning is enough evidence for me to know that God is real!  Plus the sky, the ground, etc etc etc...."

lern2solipsism?
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By atejas
Mourne said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Mourne said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"atejas said:
"Oh, fuck, my bad.
Forgive me plz?
That's why I said "some"."
Why not be of any number of other religions, then? Was it because you were born into a tradition, aka, Christianity?

There are plenty of religions with much better moral principles than Christianity, but they're all just as illogical."

Relax. I don't think he is a christian, just someone who feels it's not all bad.
I'm inclined to agree.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By FengShuiGod

God is only an article of faith, but that is essential to religion. A god whose existence can be proven would destroy religion. A god open to human logic and scientific study have to be definable, delimited, amenable to human concepts and obedient to scientific law, thus incapable of miracles. Such a god would be merely one object among others within the natural world like a galaxy, cosmic ray, or a star lightyears away, not a transcendent and mystical power running the universe and demanding the worship of man.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#178  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I've never seen 1 million dollar's but I believe in that.

You don't always have to see something to think it's real.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By atejas
FengShuiGod said:
"God is only an article of faith, but that is essential to religion. A god whose existence can be proven would destroy religion. A god open to human logic and scientific study have to be definable, delimited, amenable to human concepts and obedient to scientific law, thus incapable of miracles. Such a god would be merely one object among others within the natural world like a galaxy, cosmic ray, or a star lightyears away, not a transcendent and mystical power running the universe and demanding the worship of man."
Not to mention that a being who was omnipotent and omnipresent would, by definiton, be incapable of scientific classification.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Vaxadrin

However, in high school I had a crush on a girl and asked her to the dance.  On the drive there she told me that she was actually a mormon.  I told her she was going to have to convert for my sake or I would have to break it off with her immediately.  She told me she didn't want to date someone who told her how to live her life, so I drove the car into a tree, killing us both.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Mourne
atejas said:
"Relax. I don't think he is a christian, just someone who feels it's not all bad.
I'm inclined to agree."
Yeah, and I mean, nothing is really "all bad." Hitler made Germany one of the most powerful countries in the world--at the cost of millions of Jewish and enemy lives, but the country was flourishing.

Praise the Lord.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Hewkii
Out_On_Bail said:
"I've never seen 1 million dollar's but I believe in that.

You don't always have to see something to think it's real."
happy?

caption
caption
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"However, in high school I had a crush on a girl and asked her to the dance.  On the drive there she told me that she was actually a mormon.  I told her she was going to have to convert for my sake or I would have to break it off with her immediately.  She told me she didn't want to date someone who told her how to live her life, so I drove the car into a tree, killing us both."
Wait....then....
OHSHIT!
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Mourne
Out_On_Bail said:
"I've never seen 1 million dollar's but I believe in that.

You don't always have to see something to think it's real."
Actually, you have seen one million dollars. You've seen at least one dollar, and thus it is very simple to imagine the other 999,999 dollars.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mourne said:
"Why not be of any number of other religions, then? Was it because you were born into a tradition, aka, Christianity?

There are plenty of religions with much better moral principles than Christianity, but they're all just as illogical."
Because I follow my own spiritual guidance, not spiritual guidance from some dude 2 millenia ago, or three milennia ago, or 1600 years ago. Christianity has provided good to the world, like the Sistine Chapel. In fact, without religion, art would be much less interesting. I think Christianity was completely lost once the phrase, "Jesus is my homeboy," was first printed on a T-shirt by some bitch who didn't know how to show her appreciation to a man that supposedly died to protect humanity from harm, other than saying that he can chill at her house ON A T-SHIRT.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#186  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

If there was significant evidence, sure, but there isn't and probably never will be. And I still wouldn't worship a god even if I believed in it. I think any god demanding our worship is evil.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By atejas
Arkthemaniac said:
"Mourne said:
"Why not be of any number of other religions, then? Was it because you were born into a tradition, aka, Christianity?

Because I follow my own spiritual guidance, not spiritual guidance from some dude 2 millenia ago, or three milennia ago, or 1600 years ago. Christianity has provided good to the world, like the Sistine Chapel. In fact, without religion, art would be much less interesting. I think Christianity was completely lost once the phrase, "Jesus is my homeboy," was first printed on a T-shirt by some bitch who didn't know how to show her appreciation to a man that supposedly died to protect humanity from harm, other than saying that he can chill at her house ON A T-SHIRT."

I would say crusades but....whatever works for you.
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Mourne
Arkthemaniac said:
"Because I follow my own spiritual guidance, not spiritual guidance from some dude 2 millenia ago, or three milennia ago, or 1600 years ago. Christianity has provided good to the world, like the Sistine Chapel. In fact, without religion, art would be much less interesting. I think Christianity was completely lost once the phrase, "Jesus is my homeboy," was first printed on a T-shirt by some bitch who didn't know how to show her appreciation to a man that supposedly died to protect humanity from harm, other than saying that he can chill at her house ON A T-SHIRT."
It kind of sounds like you don't really need religion whatsoever, honestly. I, too, follow my own moral code, and it has nothing to do with Christianity. To say that art has only become relevant due to Christianity is a bit pretentious, though. Art had been around, in some form, since the dawn of man. Given how the arts evolved so steadily, it isn't like we would not have seen a penultimate art piece at some point--whether it is of comparable worth is some other matter.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Vaxadrin

When I reached the enriched flour gates, I was greeted at the door by the Invisible Pink Unicorn.  I couldn't see him, but he told me that it was not yet my time, and I would be sent back to earth to spread the good word to you all.  The girl would be dealt with summarily. (she is currently spending an eternity in a boiling marinara vat)

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Mourne

I hope you're saving those, Vaxadrin.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Vaxadrin

The internet eternally preserves all the useless tripe we've ever spouted.  Haven't you played MGS2?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"When I reached the enriched flour gates, I was greeted at the door by the Invisible Pink Unicorn.  I couldn't see him, but he told me that it was not yet my time, and I would be sent back to earth to spread the good word to you all.  The girl would be dealt with summarily. (she is currently spending an eternity in a boiling marinara vat)"
While you were up there, I dont suppose you managed to find out
a-who was phone
b- whether it's bad if you accidentaly a whole coke bottle
These questions have confounded me for my whole life.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Vaxadrin

That's not funny, atejas.  Illogical nonsense is completely inappropriate in a thread about scientifically proving the intangible.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mourne said:
"It kind of sounds like you don't really need religion whatsoever, honestly. I, too, follow my own moral code, and it has nothing to do with Christianity. To say that art has only become relevant due to Christianity is a bit pretentious, though. Art had been around, in some form, since the dawn of man. Given how the arts evolved so steadily, it isn't like we would not have seen a penultimate art piece at some point--whether it is of comparable worth is some other matter."
I know I don't need religion, only the weak NEED religion, most other people just never bothered to give it up. The Reniassance, though, was partly caused due to religion. That's why I feel art wouldn't be the same without it.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"That's not funny, atejas.  Illogical nonsense is completely inappropriate in a thread about scientifically proving the intangible."

Forgive me, my senses take leave of me after 11 PM.
Seriously, though, who was phone?
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Otacon
FengShuiGod said:
"God is only an article of faith, but that is essential to religion. A god whose existence can be proven would destroy religion. A god open to human logic and scientific study have to be definable, delimited, amenable to human concepts and obedient to scientific law, thus incapable of miracles. Such a god would be merely one object among others within the natural world like a galaxy, cosmic ray, or a star lightyears away, not a transcendent and mystical power running the universe and demanding the worship of man. "
I agree, and so debate ensues. Religion thrives on someones faith, those who don't believe demand logical answers, so there is no end to the argument. In my current position I have to ask whether the religious have experienced what us agnostics/atheists haven't for them to have faith. If so is God being selective, or disregarding completely those who are sceptic.
I don't usually post in religion threads, mainly because I've written to much about them in essays etc. Felt like dropping in my two cents this time though. 

Vaxadrin said:
"The internet eternally preserves all the useless tripe we've ever spouted.  Haven't you played MGS2?"
lol.
ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

I Believe!

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Mourne
Arkthemaniac said:
"The Reniassance, though, was partly caused due to religion. That's why I feel art wouldn't be the same without it."
Fair enough; I'm with you there.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Vaxadrin
ItalyCanadian9 said:
"I Believe!"
Hooray!  Fellow believer, shall we meet at Caruso's Italian restaurant and discuss how faith has exponentially improved our lives over a delicious angel hair & marinara sauce with mussels dish?
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Mourne
Vaxadrin said:
"ItalyCanadian9 said:
"I Believe!"
Hooray!  Fellow believer, shall we meet at Caruso's Italian restaurant and discuss how faith has exponentially improved our lives over a delicious angel hair & marinara sauce with mussels dish?"
Heh, she's actually the other type of believer, so--probably not!

I don't mean to attack her or anything, but she is the one who made the last big religion topic, asking why "everyone hates Christians." Well, after looking at this thread, I can see why one may have some beef with a Christ'y or two.

EDIT: I want to note, Vaxadrin, that you have some seriously neverending wit going on here. It's pretty impressive, gotta say.