Would you stop going to GB if any one of the core crew left?

• 111 results
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you stop going to GB if any one of the core crew left? (696 votes)

Yes, GiantBomb IS Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Ryan, Patrick and other cool duders (if any one leaves) 7%
Only if Jeff left 17%
Only if Ryan left 1%
Only if Brad left 1%
Only if Vinny left 11%
Only if Patrick left 1%
Only if half of the core crew left 16%
Only if all of the core members left 22%
No. As long as the spirit of Luchadeer lives on 12%
No, if only the replacements are as cool as the original four 11%

Well it's sad to say but there has to be one day when someone leaves Giantbomb. Would you stop visiting?

• 
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@myketuna: Sometimes a good thing deserves a proper ending. Just think of a great movie or video game. Everything doesn't need an extended version or a sequel just to keep something going, even though that's the way things seem to be at least for games now.

Anyway, this thread is a bit depressing. So yey back to playing video games! I have some dudes to shoot in Red Orchestra 2.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If that were to ever happen, as it probably will in the hopefully far future, they will most likely leave at different times and the new staff will eventually assimilate with the old until no one remembers "those original guys" and there's a bunch of elderly duders bitching about "the good ole days".

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

In my eyes if the majority/all of them left then yeah I'd be out. Giant Bomb IS these guys. The whole site is so personality driven that it just wouldn't work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as some combination of Vinny, Jeff, Patrick, Drew, and Brad remain then so will I.

However, looking at them all as a group, It really depends. If they all left to join another website, then I would visit that new site instead. If they all "retired" more or less from what they're doing now, then I trust that they would have groomed some equally cool people to replace them (assuming the site lasts that long. In that case, then I would probably stick around.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, Giant Bomb isn't about the site, it's about the core crew of guys. If Jeff left, especially, it wouldn't be Giant Bomb anymore; it's his baby. If Vinny left, I'd also feel far less enthusiastic about visiting the site. Dave is honestly about as much of a loss as this site can handle, since he wasn't a constant on-content presence, but even that still seriously stings.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#57  Edited By Brackynews

I can say for sure that I stopped going to Screened, but I think that was because Matt and Alex are writers who did comparatively little video content, and it took months for the new writer to introduce herself. But also I don't care about movies, so that's not Screened's fault. And the wiki there was always weird.

Since I get 95% of my videos of the Bomb Squad via RSS feed, the reason I open a web browser is to interact with the community regulars I know, and use the wiki. If that doesn't go away, I don't have a reason to stop loading it up. I wish I did take more time to come read Patrick and Alex, but the fact is I don't.

As for being a member, my philosophy has always been that my whole contribution goes into a big metal bucket labelled Podcast. My money will go where that goes.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By StaticFalconar

If they left because they retired, or died, then I'd still probably go to GB in general. But if they had gone away and made a new site or decide to move to a all twitter/ youtube based system because its that much cheaper for some insane reason, then I'd probably follow them whereever they went until what they say doesn't interest me no more.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

if they left on bad terms, maybe i'd stop visiting giantbomb.... if one of them died then nah... we should all mourn their death as a community.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By myke_tuna

@funkydupe said:

@myketuna: Sometimes a good thing deserves a proper ending. Just think of a great movie or video game. Everything doesn't need an extended version or a sequel just to keep something going, even though that's the way things seem to be at least for games now.

Anyway, this thread is a bit depressing. So yey back to playing video games! I have some dudes to shoot in Red Orchestra 2.

Yes, that crossed my mind as well, but that isn't really the question being asked. Honestly, I believe if the crew couldn't find successors they found suitable or don't want successors in the first place, they might let the site "die" after informing the community.

I'm sure CBSi will keep it going regardless, but it will effectively be dead. A "Screened scenario" if you will.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#61  Edited By AndrewB

Only if it was Dave. If Dave were to leave, I just wouldn't be able to stand talking to you guys anymore.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another thing to consider is are they leaving and retiring, or leaving to create another video game website?

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wasn't there one of this thread a couple of weeks ago? What's up with that?

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Vinny is the only motherfucker that matters on this site.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite members has already left, if Vinny left that's it for me.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe... I don't know.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This hypothetical question makes me sad. Based on history, I didn't stop listening to the Hotspot until Vinny was gone. Though Giantbomb really wouldn't be the same without Jeff either. I guess it depends on what the crew member is leaving for. If they were just retiring this would still be the website for me, but if they were going to some other site I might follow them, depending on who it was.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By HaltIamReptar

Just the opposite. If Brad left, I would become an annual member and start listening to the podcasts again. I'd also have like 50%+ more Quick Looks to watch.

However, I can't imagine the site ever being the same if anyone else left.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Nope. All the staff are awesome and make a great team so I wouldn't want anyone to go (that goes without saying) but they are also awesome by themselves so even if only one was left on the site, I would still be here to see what they are up to.

BUT I STILL HOPE THAT IT NEVER HAPPENS, YOU BETTER STAY HERE, DAMMIT. (You know, if you want. :3)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

A lot of us left GameSpot to follow the duders, so if most of them left I would probably continue to pay attention to what they're doing wherever they end up. The site isn't important, its the people behind it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#73  Edited By veektarius

Well, it'd depend on whether I liked the new people, but I have trouble believing I'd enjoy much content put out by a combination of Brad, Ryan, and Patrick on their own.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd definitely frequent the site less, would I completely stop coming here? probably not unless most of them left.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Depends on under what sort of circumstances they left. I mean sorry duders, but the crew are not going to work here forever. Some people will move on to new things, and all of them will eventually retire. As long as they keep bringing in new talented and awesome people I'll be happy.

That being said, it would impact the site massively if Vinny and Drew both left.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Skytylz

With Dave leaving it had me thinking about what it'll be like when the Bombcast ends or has different people on it in the future. I'm not sure how I'll handle not having that constant in my life anymore. Knowing I have the Bombcast to look forward too on Tuesday has helped me get through some of the less enjoyable times in my life and it definitely makes the start of the week a lot less shitty.

Long Live Giant Bomb!

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The duders leave Giantbomb but leave Matt Rorie, Dave Lang, and Alex in charge. Still visit GB?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

If Jeff left I wouldn't understand what a Giant Bomb Dot Com is. I would immediately assume whatever he goes on to start next would be what this thing is, and this thing would turn into something else.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selbie said:

@andrewb said:

Only if it was Dave. If Dave were to leave, I just wouldn't be able to stand talking to you guys anymore.

You probably need to read Dave's twitter feed then. The duder himself is handing over to Matt Rorie. He will be appearing again, just not as official staff.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snide/blog/some-stuff-about-parenthood-and-websites-and-puppi/100613/

"As for me. While I officially don't work here anymore I've decided to take a page from Gary Whitta's playbook and show up anyway. I'll still be popping in on podcasts, quick looks and the like as usual. I just won't be getting paid for it. All my friends work here, so it's kind of impossible to really leave"

Good to hear he's not gone for good, he still owes us some more Bladerunner. ;D

Also, it's a bit odd that the bombcrew doesn't do official posts or videos about hiring folks or goodbyes, I wouldn't have known they hired Rorie and that Dave stopped working there, it's a bit confusing. Would be nice to have an introduction to new crew and dave leaving is pretty big, yet nothing was mentioned. ( or I missed it. )

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By GeekDown

I would still visit the site, but if any of the original guys would leave the site would lose a lot of it's appeal. It's weird enough that Snider is leaving.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SeanFoster

I'd probably be most bummed if Jeff or Vinny left but I wouldn't stop using the site.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By Superkenon

All things depend. If like, next week, CBSi decided to fire Jeff and everyone else and replace them with a new team? Yeah, Giant Bomb is no longer Giant Bomb, and I'm out.

Otherwise, if it's just a matter of dudes moving on when they're done or old enough to retire!? Still depends. So far they've stuck to hiring like-minded people they have good chemistry with, so while it would be heartbreaking to see any of them go, that doesn't mean it's all over. The idea and spirit of Giant Bomb and ALL IT STANDS FOR!! can continue on.

20 years down the line, the Matt Kessler-owned Giant Bomb continues to thrive...!?

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait Brad is leaving ?

Don't worry though, Will is coming

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Justin258

@andrewb said:

Wow. Either this is terrible sarcasm or you have terrible timing.

@jay_ray said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Wait Brad is leaving ?

That gave me the same "Yay! No!" conflict of emotions that Dave's leaving and Rorie's co... joining gave seemingly everyone else, despite it not being true.

Finally, I would still give the site a chance but I really doubt it would be the same. Not necessarily of less quality, but it would certainly be very different and I would miss the people that were here before. But I don't think that anyone on Giant Bomb would be lacking for a job if they did leave; they're all fairly prominent faces of this side of the gaming industry. I also don't think they would all leave at once, and we all must realize that someday, all of them will leave the site and either the site will go away or replacements will be hired.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@andrewb said:

Neither! It was a joke given the recent bomb-dropping from the Giant. Though that doesn't make it any less sad. Or untrue.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

It would be weird to lose the main guys, but exciting replacements would definitely keep me here, and I'd also follow anybody who leaves anywhere else they go.

That said, my interest in games is changing, so I'm spending more and more time on the Bombcast, Unprofessional Fridays, and other websites than any other part of games.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TorMasturba

Look what happened to Screened.com, I still frequent that site myself, but I think a lot of the community and site traffic suddenly disappeared when Rorie finally left for other pastures.
I mean they haven't even taken Comic Vine or GB off their affiliates page or upgraded the site in any way.
And I think FinalDasa is an awesome Editor but they need to make him full time and get someone else to join him.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if brad left id still keep coming, if patrick left it would feel weird, but id still keep coming

if it was anyone else ( vinny or jeff) then it wouldnt be the same and id probably cancel my subscription

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

No, but I would follow whoever left to wherever they went next as well.

In a way this already happened with Gamespot.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#91  Edited By Evilsbane

Nothing can fill the Dave shaped hole in my heart :_(

But yea I will follow all of the core forever wherever they may go but if Jeff left? He is kinda the insane glue that holds this madness he is the CONSTANT!

lubermans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, Ryan and Vinny are the two guys on the crew who can always manage to inject a little life into GB content. If either of them left, or -- God forbid -- both of them, the site might get a little...mopey? I would never leave though. Never.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I go where Jeff goes.

cheishxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I come to GB for the personality, I can get news from any number of other sites, if the core dudes left to do other things and the replacements tried to turn GB into IGN (I'm not bashing IGN but it's just a different style of site). I'd probably just follow the GB crew to whatever they move on to.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MikeJFlick

I said half only because I think there's atleast one that could leave and I would infact be happy about, and there's no option for just one.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#96  Edited By stonyman65

I would follow Jeff and co. wherever they go. I came of from Gamespot back in the day when they left, and I would move on if they left Giant Bomb too.

But, since Jeff and Ryan own Giant Bomb, I seriously doubt they would leave. I doubt Brad and Vinny would too.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'd want to vote for if anyone leaves...but honestly if the replacements were equal and/or greater to the coolness of the member who left (there are like 2 other people on the planet who possess such coolness), I'd give that new dude a shot. Can't say I'd be happy to see anyone leave but hey.

Oh wait no I got it, if a chick joins Giantbomb I'll leave

trollface.jpg

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somehow I imagine the only way Jeff leaves GB involves him walking slowly toward camera as the building explodes in the background.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

@jay_ray said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Wait Brad is leaving ?

That gave me the same "Yay! No!" conflict of emotions that Dave's leaving and Rorie's co... joining gave seemingly everyone else, despite it not being true.

Finally, I would still give the site a chance but I really doubt it would be the same. Not necessarily of less quality, but it would certainly be very different and I would miss the people that were here before. But I don't think that anyone on Giant Bomb would be lacking for a job if they did leave; they're all fairly prominent faces of this side of the gaming industry. I also don't think they would all leave at once, and we all must realize that someday, all of them will leave the site and either the site will go away or replacements will be hired.

Not to play favourites or sound mean here, but I kinda like Dave more than... puppies. Sorry, Dave is just too badass.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@andrewb said:

@jay_ray said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Wait Brad is leaving ?

Not to play favourites or sound mean here, but I kinda like Dave more than... puppies. Sorry, Dave is just too badass.

I also liked Dave a whole lot and am sad to see him leave the site, but I don't know how well this Rorie fellow will fill that hole.