Your New Year's Resolution

• 68 results
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

wondering if you have any for the new year and if you had one last year and did you meet them?

all i wanted to do was to stop smoking and i've been free of it for over a year now. this year though i want to:

• lose all the weight i gained from not smoking (15-20lbs)
  • dig way deeper into filmographies of masters like Hitchcock, Bergman, Fellini, Godard, Altman and more..
  • playing a lot less games...
  • and finally...sadly, gotta stop coming to the site so often...i'm kinda obsessed with it....
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Stop drinking for 3 months--I almost always black out when I drink, lately

Exercise on a regular basis--I'm jump starting this by doing a 3 month workout plan while a quit drinking

Eat no greasy fast food & soda

Read at least one book a month

Congrats on stopping smoking; I too quit after about 30 attempts and am now focusing on other aspects of my health to improve.

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

PLAY EVERY GAME IN 2015, I DO MEAN EVERY GAME!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Find things that will make me happy.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Get up-to-date on Giant Bomb content. I'm still stuck in 2013!

Also pass my exams, or whatever.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've gotta start eating better and lose weight. I've let myself go the last few years and I need to make a change. Also, I want to get back into playing guitar. I kind of stopped playing for a while and I've lost a lot of the muscle memory and skill I used to have.

UrbanSanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not pre-order.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I bought "Learning Python, the Hard Way" sometime this year, never got around to reading it. I've always wanted to at least try to learn how to code, hopefully this year I can get around to it.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Get a god damn job. Any job. I've been without one for about 4 months now, and I really need to start saving up some cash for community college next year, if i decide to go
  • Get my driver's license. Everybody I know got theirs around 15-16, while I'm sitting here like a dope at nearly 19, not being able to drive. Sucks man
  • Eat better. I'm not overweight or anything, but I always feel like garbage because I drink too much soda/eat too much microwavable stuff.
  • It'd be nice if I could get my own car along with my license, so save up for that as well
  • Play more games! The only game I played that was a 2014 release was Dark Souls II. I know this wasn't a particularly explosive year, but I felt left out at times
Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Congrats on a year of being smoke free duder!

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Start making my own game. No really. I have a copy of GameMaker and way too much time on my hands. Though I don't know much about coding, I need to learn that too. I can do this, just need to persist. Also, maybe start studying Japanese again.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By spraynardtatum
Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Not buy any more games on impulse (I bought too many games I never played this year).
  • Not buy any more DLC unless it's a complete expansion package for a game I am super into.
  • Not buy any more Season Passes.
  • Not preorder anything anymore.
  • Listen to more Babymetal.
Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to say congrats on being able to quit smoking.

• Get a god damn job. Any job. I've been without one for about 4 months now, and I really need to start saving up some cash for community college next year, if i decide to go
  • Get my driver's license. Everybody I know got theirs around 15-16, while I'm sitting here like a dope at nearly 19, not being able to drive. Sucks man
  • Eat better. I'm not overweight or anything, but I always feel like garbage because I drink too much soda/eat too much microwavable stuff.
  • It'd be nice if I could get my own car along with my license, so save up for that as well
  • Play more games! The only game I played that was a 2014 release was Dark Souls II. I know this wasn't a particularly explosive year, but I felt left out at times

Holy crap are you my twin?! You have almost all the same goals as me and we are very close in age(I'm 18).

I feel like a bum since I still live with my parents and have no job. I seriously feel the need to get a job so I can pay them rent(which they never even talked about). I just feel like I owe them because they've been so good to me and all I've done is let them down. Also, having disposable income would help achieve some of my other goals, like paying for a gym membership. Having a job would allow me to start saving money for my future, and I want to learn how to invest.

I also want to learn how to drive and eventually get a car of my own. I feel so lame since my parents still have to drive me everywhere and a car would allow me to drive myself to my job. I'm stuck in a cycle where I can't get a job because I can't drive there, but I can't get a car because I have no money.

I definitely need to stop eating so much unhealthy food. I am nowhere near overweight(I weigh 130 pounds and am 6 feet tall.) I eat too much microwaveable food like frozen pizzas. I also eat a lot of chocolate and salty snacks almost everyday. I want to make a habit of eating healthy because if I eat like this when I'm 40 I will definitely be overweight.

Healthy eating goes with another goal of mine: getting fit. I am so out of shape I doubt I could jog for more than 2 minutes. I walk my dog and jump on my trampoline, but now that it's winter I don't really get to do that anymore. I would love to start going to the gym and working out. I want to have an amazing body and some muscles so girls find me more attractive.

So that brings me to another goal: GET A GIRLFRIEND! I've never really had a girlfriend or even been on an actual date. I've texted girls and hung out with them, but they always brought friends along. I get pretty nervous when trying to ask out a girl. I need to build up the courage and ask a girl out when I want to. I chicken out so much, and frankly I'm tired of being alone. So many of my friends have girlfriends and I just feel left out. That needs to change.

Another goal of mine is to spend more time with my friends. I rarely ever hang out with my friends outside of school. Believe me I try to hang out with them, but they are always busy. They're always "working" or have to spend time with their girlfriend. I don't believe most of them. Why can't somebody just invite me to hang out with them? I know I'm not cool but I'm not one of the "nerds" that is playing yugioh and talking way too loudly about inappropriate topics. I just want to hang out with somebody. Is that too much to ask?

Probably my biggest goal is to get excellent grades. I have been so lazy the past few years. I could have gotten a full ride scholarship to any college, but I just got lazy and spent my life on the internet. I just failed a history class in my first semester of college, and my parents said they would kick me out if I did that again. I agree that they should. I am going to study and do my homework and do extra credit and never skip class and the list could keep going. The point is I need to get my act together and blow everyone away with my grades.

On the subject of video games, I want to play less video games in the future. I need to go out and experience the world while I'm still young. I will always play games, but I just spend too much time currently playing games.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Watch more professional wrestling outside of the WWE.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Lose Weight

Go to Pax East

Get a Job that puts my B.S. in Mathematics into good use

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Gain weight - I don't get enough protein and non-saturated fats
  • Learn to cook - I started trying to learn within the last month or so. I'm rubbish so far.
  • Learn some C++ - I bought C++ Primer Plus a few months ago. I need to actually open XCode.
  • Buy a "new" car - I'm still driving my first car, and it's a real "starter vehicle."
  • Buy fewer games impulsively - Between Steam and GOG.com I own about 900 games and I've played maybe thirty of them. That's shameful, and a huge money hole.
Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cubidog1: Heh, maybe we are twins. But then again, maybe that's just being 18. Either way, it's (nice?) to know that there are people out there with similar struggles. Here's to 2015

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080p

chatmonchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

• put my motorcycle license to use and actually buy a motorcycle.
  • buy more than one new game released in 2015 (only bought one in 2014)
  • stop working weekends
  • make a(n effort to make a) friend.
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm going to try and be more responsible with money. So I can't go to Chipotle twice a week anymore.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lose weight. Same as last year. I have more motivation, but ugh

Also money.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a job that doesn't feel like I'm wasting my life and enjoy doing.

Curb the purchases

Buy an apartment with a view

Read a book

Study more

Learn mandarin ( second try)

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feathered@cubidog1 Fuck, I think we're triplets. I eat a lot of unhealthy shit but not overweight, don't have my license or a car, unemployed, and I'm around the same age as you guys. (I'm 19)

Anyway, regarding resolutions... Getting healthy, getting a new job, a license and car, and generally finding out what the fuck I'm going to do with my life. I'll accomplish very little if anything most likely, but if I can cross just one of those off my list I'll consider 2015 a success.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2560 x 1440

Mao_Yeezy89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep my resolutions to a bare minimum and realistic because I know I won't be able to achieve them in a year as something always gets in the way. So here are some things that I hope I can at least say that I tried to do:

• Keep exercising: This is always on the top of my list but only in April 2014 did I legitimately get serious. Happy to say that I have dropped nearly 20 pounds over the year. Plus I have learned that lifting weights, squats, and running (and some cycling) really do help ease the mind.
  • Keep expectations low for anything be it entertainment (did it for games this year and it has worked wonders) or something that could potentially affect my life
  • Concentrate more on studying. I am in my last two years in university chasing a bachelors in mechanical engineering and all the brain melting classes with heartless professors are upcoming. It's gonna be tough so I need to devote more time to at least reading the chapters before a lecture.
  • Learn a fifth language. Thinking German but not sure.
  • Quit my second job and just focus on my internship. This one is gonna be tough because the extra cash really does help.
  • Save money and just buy a kickass PC.
  • STOP EATING PIZZAS, OREOS AND CHOCOLATES BUT DAMN IS IT HARD. <~ example of an unrealistic expectation. I would honestly eat kale the entire day just so I can eat a chocolate bar or cookies the next day.
Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno... actually finish some games. I purchased more games this year (2012 being a close second) than I have in a long time. I beat maybe 3 or 4 of them. I need to play more games than I buy this year. Also stop buying games that I don't intend on playing right away. I've definitely spent more on video games (hardware, software, and peripherals) in 2014 than I ever had before.

Personal shit... I don't know. I'm doing alright. 2014 was a great year for my education, career, and finances. I need to work out, but that's not a resolution. Nothing about the date makes me want to change. Anything that needs to be improved or changed can (and has) happened when I'm ready. Jan 1st means nothing. Not knocking anyone with resolutions. It's good to have goals and to not remain stagnant. Using the first of the year gives a nice easy time line. It's just never worked for me personally.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shindig
  • Main priority is to settle down with someone which ultimately means being more sociable.
  • Find a new job, possibly. Its one of these situations where the job I'm in is quite secure and it would do my CV a world of good to hold it down a little longer but the hours I'm working make me wonder about going for something more 9-5.
  • Find a new home, possibly. Again, its linked to where I work. I find a new job away from this area, I move accordingly. Not a huge fan of my current location but I'm there til at least September.
  • Reviewing stuff for Playstation Country last year has been fun. It gives me a second thing to concentrate on besides work and its sometimes nice to find yourself in a situation where you have to focus and hit deadlines. And playing games you wouldn't normally go near broadens your horizons a little.
  • Go to more Newcastle matches and gigs. Because being a fan is a life sentence.
  • Build a PC. Yeah, that's an idea. I bought this laptop over a year ago and its done nothing but crash, even after having a hard drive replaced. I can't go through the recovery stuff to take it back to square one because it will crash during the process. So, essentially, it would be neat to have a proper desktop and building my own would mean I can take ownership of whatever bugs crop up, rather than relying on some kid at Currys.
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

• Keep a journal and actually write in it every day
  • Write more
  • read more books, watch more anime, play more games,
  • stop being so antisocial
  • just set goals and focusing on them daily
  • post more wrestling and anime gifs
bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Pitch my dumb articles to sites.

Apply to more jobs I'm unqualified for.

Pax Prime for sure. E3 if my street cred is up enough.

Visit San Francisco maybe? Around GDC probably.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finish the new games i've started

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ripelivejam

- dont buy any games for at least 6 months

-oh and lose weight/become more sociable/get my lpic and maybe even ccna certs and learn something for a damn change

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few this year.

1. Find a real job! If you know any companies hiring entry level with EET degrees let me know.

2. Eat fast food and take out less.

3. Limit myself to one liquid calorie drink a week (im going to miss you beer and wine)

4. Lose a lot of weight

5. Track which games I play this year. (The first game so far is supercars, not a great start)

6. Finish games I start. I've got about 5 from last year alone that I got half way through.

7. Continue to remain soda free. Will be one year come February 1st.

Some of these are going to be easy, others hard. I'm excited about 2015.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Do something with my life and stop being lazy.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a job.

Write more.

Read a lot more (Really slacked this year. Thanks, video games.)

Get back into going to the gym every day. Christmas kinda happened and I haven't done this for a few weeks.

And as with every year, be a nicer person than last year.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By spraynardtatum

1. Start performing stand up

2. Start playing music in public

3. Find another job

4. Leave current job

5. Write and read with a vengeance.

6. Meet the love of my life.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a New Year's resolution has been proven to not change anything. So I don't make them. If I want to change something it won't be because of some arbitrary social construct.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making a New Year's resolution has been proven to not change anything. So I don't make them. If I want to change something it won't be because of some arbitrary social construct.

A New Year's resolution is just a goal. The only thing arbitrary about it is the start date.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Finish games instead of starting them, playing for five hours, and moving on.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finishing games, especially console ones.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Get good at running again and get back in shape. I kick started this by signing up for a half marathon. I've run tons of 5Ks and a couple 10s but never a 21K. My current goal is get back to the weight I was summer (so lose around 15-20 pounds and regain muscle. I ate like crap the last couple months without exercising and have been feeling awful as a result). I've been doing small runs daily the last week or so and I'm already seeing a difference. The issue is I'm an outdoor runner and it is way too cold to run outside right now so I have to go on the treadmill, which I don't particularly enjoy. As soon as April hits I'll be running outside daily but until then I'll just try and find ways to make the treadmill less dull.

Get an actual job with my degree once I'm done school. There's quite a few places here looking for people with my degree and a shortage of people to hire so this shouldn't be too hard. We have a career day coming up at school that I'll take part in. Usually a good chunk of people graduating leave it with at least one interview lined up.

On that note, pass my last 4 classes. I'm worried I might start to slack off since it is my last set of classes.

Avatar image for cabrit_sans_cor
cabrit_sans_cor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things are looking up for me -- way up. After managing to quit cigarettes in 2013 (which was hard), I also managed to free myself of my very heavy pot habit (which was also hard, regardless of what you may hear). I'm almost done with my degree, and have some exciting opportunities for afterward. That being said, this year I'd like to:

-Write more (I have a creative project I've been mulling over, and I need to get started on it)

-Eat less, move more (if not to simply lose weight, than for my health first and foremost)

-Build my burgeoning record collection

-Make a marked improvement in my self-esteem and self-confidence, and finally

-Keep an open mind and exercise empathy, even (and especially) for people I may not understand very well.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

• Stop wasting time on Reddit, for fuck's sake
  • Don't buy a new game unless you beat another game first
  • Write or practice guitar for 20 minutes before gaming sessions
  • Keep adhering to your exercise schedule, no matter what happens

That's about it.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2560 x 1440

And if I save enough money hopefully with GSync!

Zeds_Dead_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start exercising in the mornings. My training has gotten sporadic since we had a baby 6 months ago and I've gained some weight that I will lose before March arrives. Mornings are the only time I can definitely train.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to keep my GPA steadily improving with every semester, and so far so good.

There are scholarships and fellowships I need to keep from starving this summer.