Youtube is sickeningly slow for me.....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

For unknown reasons, Youtube has been a nightmare since it updated its UI, i cannot even convince my internet to load 3 minute. low quality videos with any sort of speed. Lately, the Youtube Iphone App has been more effective for watching videos than the actual site. Thank God all of Giant Bomb's content loads beautifully for me.

Im using IE8, maybe thats the issue? Is anyone else having problems?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Do people get PM's when you quote them yet?

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By PufferFiz

yeah I have been having issues for a few weeks now.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bacongames

Well the only thing that seemed to work for me is to update the version of flash that I had.  Although I'm using Firefox 3.6 YT has been very slow for me until recently.

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By nyuckelhead

same here

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

I thought it was just my computer and a sign that I need to finally get a new one.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Supermarius
@Mikemcn:  No, its been happening to me too. i made a giantbomb post about it. The big problem i have been having is that videos are being served to me at a speed slower than they play so vids will start fine but then start buffering at some random point where playback outstrips the amount of video loaded. In firefox 3, once the video starts buffering it never stops buffering. I found a workaround though. Basically youtube is throttling the bandwidth at which it will serve you videos. So it wont buffer/cache parts of a video as fast as you could download it, but only at some rather low maximum kpbs that youtube allows per user.

This is the same thing that html download sites for files have been doing for years. People have used download accelerators that split up a file into parts that download simultaneously with separate user agents to successfully overcome this. There is now a download accelerator for flash videos called Speedbit Video Accelerator. That link will take you to the download.com page for it. It makes youtube videos load alot foaster for me and reduces the instances of buffer-lock. However sometimes it is a bit too aggressive and can cause a youtube page to not render a video without a quick page reload if it is part of an autotplaying playlist.

Also, youtube videos play "a little" better in Googles own browser, Chrome.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By RetroIce4

Same here. Videos taking mass amount of time to buffer so I leave the browser and tabs open. Youtube is progressively becoming worse....

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikemcn
@Pie said:
"Do people get PM's when you quote them yet? "

I dont know...... maybe me being broken is spreading? If so im fucked.
FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FirePrince

Same here,it sucks.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By mike

I'm not sure why there is even a thread about this, and even more puzzled as to why it was just bumped after nearly three days of inactivity.

Contact YouTube support or your ISP.