New GPUs From NVIDIA Tomorrow!

• 85 results
bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was thinking on doing a whole new build and was willing to stick with my current 1070, but that 3070 is looking to be cheaper than a 2070 oddly.

Will need to do a whole new build around it as my motherboard and CPU are a bit long in the tooth now...

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: 3070 looks to be a great card woulden't even consider the 20XX series at this point. Whats your current motherboard and CPU?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@himsteveo: @ralphmoustaccio is right in that you need to check your psu to ensure you have enough juice. You will also probably need a full size tower and some extra fans to push the excess heat away from the cpu. This card could easily cause overheating issues with such a huge power draw.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I think I am going to seek out some of these memes. Always funny to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What cracks me up is all the people trying to get rid of their 2080tis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the market would dictate that until 3k cards are no longer available(thus 3070 and 2080ti demand goes up) the 2080ti at this time is objectively worth less than $500(the price of the 3070 which is quite a bit more powerful).

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By OurSin_360

@reap3r160 said:

What cracks me up is all the people trying to get rid of their 2080tis.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the market would dictate that until 3k cards are no longer available(thus 3070 and 2080ti demand goes up) the 2080ti at this time is objectively worth less than $500(the price of the 3070 which is quite a bit more powerful).

It's because, for some odd reason, people are buying them for 600-700$ right now on ebay.

edit: saw some sell for 800$

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanity: Let me check when I am at home, but I have an I5-6500 3.2 GHZ.

dahlis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By dahlis

How far into the future is this NVCache business? I hope a few years atleast, then I wont feel so bad about my brand new Z490 mobo with pcie3 :(

I mean, congrats to all you bang-for-your-buck ryzen people, I guess...

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Is there a dedicated PC Build forum on here or is this thread as good as any to put out some questions?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Sanity

@hughesie27: You can ask here, or make a new thread. Will help yea if i can. Best place to ask this stuff imo though is https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/ Very active community for pc building.

@bmccann42 Yea i just was wondering, that four core is starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Its still very game dependent though! Video cards almost always have the biggest effect on gaming performance at higher resolutions so you could upgrade your videocard first then down the road get a new motherboard/cpu/ram.

Im sure it would still help a ton in most games. I like doing this too because it spreads the cost a bit and you dont end up spending as much at once.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ralphmoustaccio I've got the 750w PSU, so that's not a problem. Will just have to check on the case part

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rumor is that the 30 series will be in extreme limited supply until next year, so I suspect a lot of price gouging on ebay and none of the older cards dropping very low. Hopefully it's bogus, but I doubt it.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By frytup

@oursin_360 said:

rumor is that the 30 series will be in extreme limited supply until next year,

Yeah, that's probably a given. I think the 3070 especially is going to be in very high demand, and anyone would be lucky to get one before early next year.

Which means I'll be playing Cyberpunk on my 1070. Oof.

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is there a particular time the sale of those cards goes live typically?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope that's not true, because I can't wait until next year to have a working PC. I hope I don't have to downgrade my build dramatically.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I really hope that's not true, because I can't wait until next year to have a working PC. I hope I don't have to downgrade my build dramatically.

I would pre-order as soon as you can if they are still open. I read best buy is allowing people to buy up to 3 rtx 3080's, which is real shitty if stock is low.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Are they allowing pre-orders anywhere? I was under the impression it was first come first serve everywhere.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By OurSin_360
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Not quite what I was hoping for. I don't think notifications will help me much, as I assume I'll have to be refreshing store pages the moment they go live to even have a chance of grabbing one.

If I do miss out I'll probably have to rely on the notifactions though.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: @oursin_360: There are no pre-orders available anywhere, it's going to be a race to order at the time of release. Nvidia has said that the cards will go on sale at 6 AM PST on the 17th. Of course, this is the Founders Edition directly from them. Other manufacturers and retailers have not given any information about when things will go on sale.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want one of those 3080s, I think there's really nothing better than the FE version at the moment, functionally or aesthetically.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By OurSin_360

@applegong: have there been tests on how well the cooler works? I do like how it looks, but that means nothing to me I always just want the best performance lol.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: No concrete data so far, but there was a bit of leak showing the thermal tests showing the gpu cooler going from 33 degrees Celsius (with fan not running) to around 65. The reviews will be up tomorrow, so not too long a wait hopefully :D

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

As a dog who enjoys his 5120x1440 super-ultrawide monitor
the 2080ti has been doing okay BUT I'm probably going to invest in
a 3080/90 if AMD doesn't provide a competitor this year.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@geirr: Woof that's quite a set up you're using!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By OurSin_360

Seems like Dlss will be the way to get 4k 60 even with the 30 series cards until the 3090 and eventual 3080ti especially with RTX on. I think for most people though, 1440p is where it's at so these cards will kill, I still just want to get 4k 60 without having to worry about settings tbh. I have to upgrade a lot of my system for these cards, so I'm thinking of just getting a used 1080ti or 2080 super instead, probably the super for the rtx stuff.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By mikewhy

@oursin_360: I've only seen the numbers in Ars' quick benchmark, but 5/6 of the games were >60 at 4k/ultra (the one that wasn't was Microsoft Flight Simulator).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/nvidia-rtx-3080-review-4k-greatness-at-699-and-good-news-for-cheaper-gpus/2/

But yeah, my guess is DLSS is going to be needed to bring RTX features to acceptable performance at "4K".

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By OurSin_360

@mikewhy: I've been watching a bunch of reviews today (embargo lifted) and yeah it's definitely better than last gen by a lot, I still don't see 4k 60 without Dlss in the very near future since rtx is probably the future. Good news though is Dlss looks very very good. Was just watching an older video that showed control at 540p scaled to 1080p and actually looking better in spots lol, which is real good for people going for the low end cards.

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone actually manage to score a card? I had no luck since it seemed they were gone instantly. Instead I bit the bullet and preordered a prebuilt with a 3080 since I was looking at updating my 1070 system anyways. More than I expected to spend today, but really probably what I would’ve spent piecemeal if I had managed to snag a card.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By OurSin_360

@tunnelman: Heard the bots were in full force, sold in like 15 sec's or something smh. Already gauging on ebay it seems.

tbh, I am all for the resale hustle but they should start protecting real consumers and allow us to buy these at launch.

anyway, what's the word on SLI? I've never tried, but I'm tempted to get another 1080 instead since I'd have to upgrade my psu anyway then just selling them both later on.

yo, I see one on ebay that has 41 bids at 10,000. broooo wtf lmao

seems the ps5 hustlers are at least more reasonable, they are going for about 700-800 lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Allegedly using incognito mode and such made it more likely you'd see the add to cart buttons(as well as accurate stock updates).

Which bots mainly operate using tracker blocking like that so....everyone effectively made it EASIER for bots to scoop up all these cards.

GG, guess a lot of people will be going AMD...even if it is just a 2080TI.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I finally got my 3080 FE from Nvidia(psa so far they've had 2 substantial Thursday evening drops, will see this week if that's a pattern).

Mainly replaying Control rn(save got wiped and I need to beat it to play the Dlc, but it's a great game) and RT is really cool of course, but honestly the biggest thing I've seen so far is DLSS 2.0.

I get about 50-60 at 3440 with everything maxes out but turning on DLSS I hit my max refresh of 100 easy, and there is little to 0 discernable difference in quality.

I hope more devs take advantage of this technology, because double the framerate with basically 0 deminishing of fidelity is pretty impressive.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I finally got my 3080 FE from Nvidia(psa so far they've had 2 substantial Thursday evening drops, will see this week if that's a pattern).

Mainly replaying Control rn(save got wiped and I need to beat it to play the Dlc, but it's a great game) and RT is really cool of course, but honestly the biggest thing I've seen so far is DLSS 2.0.

I get about 50-60 at 3440 with everything maxes out but turning on DLSS I hit my max refresh of 100 easy, and there is little to 0 discernable difference in quality.

I hope more devs take advantage of this technology, because double the framerate with basically 0 deminishing of fidelity is pretty impressive.

What card did you have before? I'm thinking of getting a used 20 series later on instead if dlss becomes a thing with more games. If you had a 20 series is it a noticeable difference in performance with dlss turned on?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I had a 1080.

So I didn't experience 1.0 dlss, but from what I've read it sounds like this iteration of it is a HUGE step up. I believe the 20 series can use the new version also.

The issue is at this point the 20 series is basically worthless. These cards(even the 3070 and amds 6000s from early leaks) hit 50%+ better performance all around for the same price.

Granted that IS talking MSRP prices, the used 20 series market is all over the place right now. But unless you can find like AT LEAST a 2080 around $400....

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I had a 1080.

So I didn't experience 1.0 dlss, but from what I've read it sounds like this iteration of it is a HUGE step up. I believe the 20 series can use the new version also.

The issue is at this point the 20 series is basically worthless. These cards(even the 3070 and amds 6000s from early leaks) hit 50%+ better performance all around for the same price.

Granted that IS talking MSRP prices, the used 20 series market is all over the place right now. But unless you can find like AT LEAST a 2080 around $400....

Thanks for the info man! Yeah, I am also on a 1080 as well but my only issue really is that I will have to get a new psu as well since I have an older 620w that is I think only bronze rated(if that). It's been a great psu but these new cards seem to be all brute force for performance. I was definitely only going to get one off ebay, I was even thinking of just getting a 1080ti and selling my 1080 as they are going for around the same price actually.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I just noticed the 3070 launch has been pushed back two weeks.

Maybe they're actually putting better bot protection in place, but I still don't think retailers care either way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: Allegedly it's to build up stock ahead of launch. Bots(at least the purchase ones) aren't nearly as big if a problem now. At least direct from Nvidia. They've had solid drops the past few weeks where I've seen at least 100 people get cards.

I think supply literally is extremely limited.

And for what its worth, EVGA has put in place a waitlisr/reserve system for their auto notify. You sign up and you have 8 hours from when you get your email to buy a reserved card.

Should help with just the screen scraping bots that are running too that everyone is using.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup:

And for what its worth, EVGA has put in place a waitlisr/reserve system for their auto notify. You sign up and you have 8 hours from when you get your email to buy a reserved card.

Ah, good to know. I kinda like the look of the Founder's Edition this time around, but EVGA is my usual.