Rust under heavy DDOS attack... 4th day now

• 60 results
Bucklebutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just saw Brad's tweet about buying Rust and I wanted to give everyone a fair warning. The game has been completely unplayable for 4 days now.. best to wait till things are back up and running.

censor.nudity false ftw

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

It's not just Rust.

DERP has been hitting BF4's servers, Ghosts' servers, DOTA 2 servers, League of Legends servers, Club Penguin, Battle.net and many other places.

https://twitter.com/DerpTrolling

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jakob187 said:

It's not just Rust.

DERP has been hitting BF4's servers, Ghosts' servers, DOTA 2 servers, League of Legends servers, Club Penguin, Battle.net and many other places.

OH NO, MY CLUB PENGUIN GAMING TIME!!!!!

But seriously, this is both funny and awful!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jakob187 said:

It's not just Rust.

If this organization had a throat, I would strangle it. All I wanna do is play BF4, what a buncha fuckheads.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what would make somebody so aggressively passionate that they would want to attempt to ruin a game for other people. Such a waste of time and effort.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Wait. Battlefield 4 needs someone other than EA to crash their servers?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadfan said:

The game was running fine during the holidays. Now it's all fucked serverside.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

I don't know what would make somebody so aggressively passionate that they would want to attempt to ruin a game for other people. Such a waste of time and effort.

I read somewhere that they are targeting games that a specific person streams a lot. In any case, I've lost a lot of patience for shitheads like this in the past 3 or 4 years.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@hatking said:

I read somewhere that they are targeting games that a specific person streams a lot. In any case, I've lost a lot of patience for shitheads like this in the past 3 or 4 years.

Me too. No excuse for it. At least it seems like these kinds of guys are getting caught more frequently now. As much as I don't like seeing people winding up in prison, it does warm my heart a little bit each time I see those articles come up.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By breadfan

@greggd said:

@breadfan said:

Ah, well that puts a damper on my lame joke. But for real. Fuck these guys - do they really not have anything else to do with their time?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GreggD

@breadfan said:

@greggd said:

@breadfan said:

Ah, well that puts a damper on my lame joke. But for real. Fuck these guys - do they really not have anything else to do with their time?

If they're this invested in gaming, they should, I dunno, play some games?

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@hatking said:

Wow, seriously? That's their justification? Screw these guys man, that's just stupid and immature.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@greggd said:

@breadfan said:

@greggd said:

@breadfan said:

If they're this invested in gaming, they should, I dunno, play some games?

PSH! Playing games!? that's so 2002. It's all about fucking up someone else's fun nowadays.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is what i call "pure evil"

maybe not evil for ea but why dota and lol is targeted ?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Here's a bit more info about what's going on, and it sounds ridiculous.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Did it ever not sound ridiculous?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@smtdante89 said:

Did it ever not sound ridiculous?

Well yeah, just about all DDoS attacks are ridiculous, but having the police arrive at the apparent victim's house in the story adds a lot to it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By JasonR86

How dare they etc etc....

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw said:

@hatking said:

Phantoml0rd was streaming some stuff. They ended up targeting games he was playing after a little bit. Supposedly, 6 policemen showed up at Phantoml0rd's house and arrested him, searched his house, etc.

All I know is that if @brad wasn't able to play DOTA 2, I can imagine he turned into a hulking rage monster that was ready to shit down someone's throat with the stinkiest after-Christmas poo imaginable.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cmblasko

Why has someone really smart not developed some sort of defense against DDOS attacks yet?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Come on guys. It's pretty harmless. So you can't play the game(s) you want, you'll be able to in a couple of days. Go read a book in the meantime. And at least they're doing it for the lulz, unlike those hacktivists.

I was wrong, I am sorry, I'll go whip myself now as penance.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Come on guys. It's pretty harmless. So you can't play the game(s) you want, you'll be able to in a couple of days. Go read a book in the meantime. And at least they're doing it for the lulz, unlike those hacktivists.

What, you mean like lulzsec, who literally hacked PSN and other corporate servers "for the lulz"?

Or how this crew apparently sent the police after him on false charges?

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

What, you mean like lulzsec, who literally hacked PSN and other corporate servers "for the lulz"?

Hm, after thinking about it I realized that they're equally as bad as anonymous and other hacktivists. And that the efforts of both groups are as equally wasted. So, perhaps they aren't really better than hacktivists, but if no money or information is being stolen. Then I'd say it's pretty harmless for those affected. So long as it doesn't last too long, which it won't... hopefully.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't want to be That Guy but how about all of the money they're undoubtedly costing those companies, which effects all their employees and share holders? Doing that for a cheap laugh over how you're taking a crap on someonelse's day seems like a real scumbag thing to do.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InternetDotCom

@thedudeofgaming said:

@hailinel said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

Hm, after thinking about it I realized that they're equally as bad as anonymous and other hacktivists. And that the efforts of both groups are as equally wasted. So, perhaps they aren't really better than hacktivists, but if no money or information is being stolen. Then I'd say it's pretty harmless for those affected. So long as it doesn't last too long, which it won't... hopefully.

Well they posted all this guy's info online to the point the cops showed up to his house with assault rifles.

So I guess "harmful"

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

I'm sorry, but it's still a bunch of nonsense. The fact that BF4 was already getting slammed by everybody for connection issues, and now this, it's a ton of bad press. I don't want that game to die a sudden death just because some assholes who happen to know how to run a script fucked with the servers.

TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedudeofgaming said:

@hailinel said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

Well they posted all this guy's info online to the point the cops showed up to his house with assault rifles.

So I guess "harmful"

Yeah okay so missed that part. Am officially wrong, and an asshole. I apologize. Fuck those guys.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

what the fuck did that guy do?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah sending the police to someones house and shutting down multiple gaming services that affects millions of people sure is harmless, I mean really.

Come on guys.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HeyGuys

@animasta: As far as I can tell he didn't actually do anything, he was just the most popular stream. Annoying internet trolls with no perspective, maturity, and too much time got a hold of something that could make them feel powerful and wanted people to know they could shut down websites/services other people enjoyed seems to be the whole story.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pyrodactyl

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@cmblasko said:

Why has someone really smart not developed some sort of defense against DDOS attacks yet?

https://projectshield.withgoogle.com/

The Verge: Google launches new anti-DDoS service called 'Project Shield'

I don't really wanna explain like I know how it works.

That's not a solution, that's just google spinning up more servers to take the DDOS beating. I'm not an expert but I think the basic theory behind DDOS attack is that there is absolutly no way of knowing the difference between the computers spamming your server and the computers just trying to use it normaly. Therfor, the only way to handle DDOS attacks is to spin up more servers to handle the load created by spam.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By pyrodactyl

@heyguys said:

@animasta: As far as I can tell he didn't actually do anything, he was just the most popular stream. Annoying internet trolls with no perspective, maturity, and too much time got a hold of something that could make them feel powerful and wanted people to know they could shut down websites/services other people enjoyed seems to be the whole story.

There was a whole segement of the last jar time video on who would do such a thing. Jeff summed it up quite nicely: bored and imature kids or people who didn't grow out of that fase.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Ahem.

Speaking on his Twitch stream, Phantoml0rd said he believes he was randomly targeted because he was the top streamer on Twitch at the time. The group has so far shut down every game he has streamed on his channel.

Many of the services like EA.com are still unavailable at the time of writing. We have reached out to Phantoml0rd and the affected services for comment. The stream is currently drawing more than 140,000 viewers.

Update: Shortly after this story was published, Varga announced to his stream viewers that the police were at his home. The stream was put on hold before going offline. We have reached out to the Los Angeles Police Department to confirm whether officers were dispatched to Varga's home. We have also reached out to Twitch for comment.

Update 2: Varga posted the following message to his Facebook page: "...just had an automatic pointed at me, put in hand cuffs and sat in the back of a cop car as I watched as 6 policemen go through my whole house.. will keep you all updated."

We are still waiting to hear from the police department and an update from Twitch.

Update 3: Varga started a stream this evening at approximately 9:30 p.m. PT to detail his version of the events that transpired. He said after experiencing server issues throughout the day and communicating with the alleged hackers who were DDoSing the games he played, his personal information was leaked, and he then received a warning from a friend who is a police officer that his name had been flagged by the local police department. He said that upon stepping outside his house and walking down the street, he was confronted by three police cars and six to seven armed police officers who ordered him to put his hands above his head and walk back toward their vehicles.

Varga alleges he was then cuffed and ordered to sit in the back of a police car for 25-30 minutes while officers searched his house. According to Varga, someone had called the police accusing Varga of holding up to five hostages in his home. On his stream, Varga showed video footage he had recorded on his phone of the police visit. Varga was released without charges.

During the evening stream, he was interrupted when the local police allegedly visited his home again due to another threat that had been called on him. He returned to the stream shortly afterwards and explained that the caller had notified the police and the fire department this time. No further action was taken.

Varga explained to his viewers that the reason he didn't stop streaming when the DDoS attacks escalated was because of a business decision.

"The first thing is, I'm sure there's an argument out there about why didn't I just stop," he said on the stream. "What people have to realize is, you know, this is a job. I am in charge of a business, so to speak. When the business is doing its very best, breaking records, you don't really stop. You can argue that, and so on and so forth, but that is from a business standpoint. I was going to hit a record, and I was excited — it was so cool, you guys were all there with me, it was just ... it was big. And I was sort of lost in it, so to speak."

Varga also apologized for his actions, and for any role he may have played in egging on the DDoS attacks that occurred this afternoon.

"If that was a mistake, I accept it," he said. "I apologize to the people who were affected by this, to the companies that their infrastructures were messed up, that had issues; it was not my goal for this to happen. It was not what I ever thought would happen. I knew it would have kept going, maybe, but not to the extent of what it was. I really did not know that it would be this intense."

Polygon contacted Varga's local police department for comment, but authorities were unable to provide information. We are still awaiting comment from Twitch. ..

Polygon: LoL, Dota 2 and other game servers shut down by group targeting Twitch user (update)

The fuck.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I hope these kids get caught. Swatting people is just a shitty thing to do. It ties up law enforcement when they could be responding to real threats.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it possible to be a video game hacker and not be obsessed with memes or are those two things just mutually exclusive?

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Varga also apologized for his actions, and for any role he may have played in egging on the DDoS attacks that occurred this afternoon.

"If that was a mistake, I accept it," he said. "I apologize to the people who were affected by this, to the companies that their infrastructures were messed up, that had issues; it was not my goal for this to happen. It was not what I ever thought would happen. I knew it would have kept going, maybe, but not to the extent of what it was. I really did not know that it would be this intense."

Polygon contacted Varga's local police department for comment, but authorities were unable to provide information. We are still awaiting comment from Twitch. ..

Polygon: LoL, Dota 2 and other game servers shut down by group targeting Twitch user (update)

Why the hell is the streamer apologizing? What the hell is that about? That seems like nonsense.

Yretery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love watching stuff like this unfold.

It's always so entertaining to see what ends up falling out of it, especially if it what comes out of it is pure unadulterated crazy. I mean sure, fuck those guys for ruining some people's days, but I'm glad dumb shit like this still happens from time to time.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 2 of DERP Trolling...

They've taken down World of Tanks NA, LoLKing.com, Runescape.com, mca.lwcc.org (a Christian academy), godhatesfags.com (Westboro Baptist Church), kcna.kp (North Korean state-run news agency), and they have just now taken down EVE Online.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"For the lulz" great use of your time guys, seriously. Sending a swat team to someone's home is a deplorable act that I can only hope will result in the same thing happening to the people responsible.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this is what happens when you invent stuff like CallerID and kids can't make crank calls any more.

I hope there is appropriately stiff sentencing on the books for script kiddie nonsense like this.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rangers517

@jakob187 said:

Day 2 of DERP Trolling...

They've taken down World of Tanks NA, LoLKing.com, Runescape.com, mca.lwcc.org (a Christian academy), godhatesfags.com (Westboro Baptist Church), kcna.kp (North Korean state-run news agency), and they have just now taken down EVE Online.

WTF. That's crazy. I'm no expert on this stuff, is there really no way to stop them or something?

edit: oh, I saw the posts above about this, nvm.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

godhatesfags.com (Westboro Baptist Church)

Well, at least SOMETHING good came of this.

Yretery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yretery

@rangers517: Well it sounds like they are using the LOIC, which is pretty much a bot net director application, which you can tie whatever systems you set up with it to run DDOS attacks simultaneously, and judging from what is being said on their twitter, they've probably got a ton of systems in use, and it sounds like a big collaborative effort across a wide area with the number of systems you would need to take down half of these networks.

So to answer your question, they stop or someone stops them forcefully.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Ugh, this continues to just be dumb. I hope they are having fun because when they get caught and they will its going to SUCK to be them.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the LoL, Dota 2, Club Penguin, etc. DDoS attacks have nothing to do with the Rust DDoS attacks. It is some French people doing the Rust ones I think.