Stream releases update with new chat/voice features

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm typing this on mobile for once to see how easy it is to do. Check the link to see what steam updated!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Looks like a huge improvement, but I think it's a little too late for Steam to pull people away from Discord for their voice/chat needs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

typo in the title.

I like the look of the new interface. Haven't tried it out much yet, though.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well, I'm all for new features, but now I have to wait for Metro for Steam to update.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like how their example for a modern chat experience is just two people fighting over dota 2. That's pretty accurate if you ask me.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The new UI is nice, but it is so prone to locking and unstable in other ways that I can't even buy games.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@chaser324: Was just about to say this. Steam voice chat was always terrible, and everyone used either Skype or Vent. Now everyone uses Discord. Valve is way too late to the party with this.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As part of this update, they seem to have also updated whatever integrated browser Steam has. I swear it somehow freezes all the time now, and I have to go into task manager and kill a bunch of steamwebhelper apps which have inexplicably frozen, despite my computer not even remotely being out of available CPU or memory.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Discord has an a peak concurrent users of 8.2 million. Steam's peak concurrent users was at 18.5 million. Those numbers might've changed a bit during 2018, but there's probably still quite a huge amount of steam users that don't use discord yet or have no reason to use discord. I know i got by fine on steam chat for multiple years. Them implementing these changes will serve those people better and might dissuade newcomers for having to use a 3rd party program.