Who is right about Super Mario World 2, Jeff or Patrick?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Who is right about Super Mario World 2, Jeff or Patrick? (116 votes)

Jeff (it's a bad game) 28%
Patrick (it's a great game) 28%
The truth is somewhere in the middle. 32%
Poll 11%

I started messing with this on the Switch via the SNES app and the game seems pretty cool. I had never played it before but decided to give it go after beating SMW for the first time this year...

Anyways, it reminded me of Jeff and Patrick and how they used to kinda tease each other about the game.

• 
Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yoshi's Island is a great game.

It has no business being called Super Mario World 2.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It is Yoshi's Island, and it was a great game when I played it, some +20 years ago. The SMW2 part is bloody accidental to me.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I played it when it released on the Switch and thought it was fine. I was never an SNES game so that was my first time playing it. It still looks great and the music is really good. But using the baby as a life system feels like your life bar is a shackled ball and chain. I also wasn't that big of a fan of the level design. It felt sort of slow and sluggish to get through. But I'm sure if I put more time into it I would adapt. I don't think it deserves much attention one way or another other than for its production values.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I used to agree with Patrick, until I played it again. It's just...not that great. It certainly doesn't deserve to be called Super Mario World 2 for a number of reasons. It handles kind of sluggishly, the level design is sort of a mess at times, and there is very little incentive to collect all of the stuff (no payoff compared to how great it felt to find Star Road, different colored yoshi's, etc...in SMW). I voted, however, for somewhere in between though, because it is certainly not an outright bad game, and it has charm and style for DAYS, but it isn't the great game that I thought it was when I was a kid.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The egg mechanic sucks

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: It was an aesthetic marvel when it was released, but is much less impressive in 2019. It's kind of similar to the Donkey Kong Country games in that way (I actually think they play very well, but their visuals have aged much worse than most games from that generation.) It also had innovative mechanics like the egg throwing that were cool at the time but just haven't aged well because of subsequent control schemes that do that kind of thing way better.

I think that judged in the context of its own time it was a pretty spectacular achievement, but it just hasn't aged as well as a lot of the best 16-bit games (Like Super Mario World proper, which has aged wonderfully.)

Games that push visuals or are innovative in terms of control tend not to age as well as games that are super polished versions of some style or other.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Keep in mind that Jeff also hates Mario Galaxy, so, you know. I love Jeff, but you know..

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Wait what?! This is news to me. I can not and will not believe this. Look, I, like a lot ppl accept many of his questionable opinions but this is crossing the line.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not usually one to support the death penalty, but if you don't agree that Yoshi's Island is one of the greatest games of all time, then, well...

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

@humanity: I can't believe I voted before learning of this horrifying fact.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: on the most recent Bombcast Jeff doesn’t have many kind word to say about Galaxy when talking about the difference of being able to jump on piranha plants in Galaxy compared to the side scrolling games

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna have to say Jeff . . .

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Yoshi's Island is a fantastic game. I have little affinity for Super Mario World, so its inclusion in the title means nothing to me.

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Squadaloo
Loading Video...

@humanity: I'm pretty sure he was joking, he had previously called Galaxy fantastic in an argument with Dan over Super Mario Sunshine. (6:21 in the video if it doesn't start properly)

Also, I voted for "It's great" but I prefer traditional Mario games more.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: @squadaloo: well, I don’t think he was joking but he was talking about a very specific aspect of the game so maybe it’s a bit of stretch to say he hates the game. I do think he is partial to the 2d games as I’m sure a lot of ppl of his age group are but I always thought he liked 64 and Galaxy but did not like Sunshine.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squadaloo: @liquiddragon: yah I don't ever remember hearing Jeff talking about Galaxy in the past so I just took the comment at face value as another one of those Yoshi Island things. IF nothing else Jeff has a very odd and particular taste in games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: haha, I can usually get down with the stuff he likes but a lot of the ones he doesn't...I almost feel bad for him 'cause he is missing out. Like dude likes Metroidvania's but doesn't like Metroid Prime? That's such a shame 'cause imo, it's easily one of the all time greats. RE4? Another one.