This has got to be a new series, right?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I have to assume that a Until Dawn 2 will be a new series. This seems like a slam dunk idea, various horror and ghost stories where the underlying premise is always surviving until dawn.

The reason I think this would work is they seemly set up the concept of hiring a "known" horror writer to pen the story. I think many horror games in the past struggled because the story was penned by video game development staff. I think if Sony is smart they would provide a budget to hire a horror writer. However, I would be just as happy to have Larry Fessenden pen the next story....hell have the one repeating character be "The Stranger" played by Larry in each game.

All I know is I want another game like is in two years or so....not much to ask.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good luck with that. Seems like Sony didn't want anything to do with it by the end of development. It's really too bad they got behind Heavy Rain and that Ellen Page simulator and not this game.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It seems to have sold well enough that a sequel is possible.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I would hope more of these games do come out, and I really enjoyed Until Dawn. I think the hard thing is they put a lot of time into this game. Granted almost half of that was probably spent on the PS3/Move version, saying "Hey, let's make a PS4 instead", and all that.

And how much marketing power Sony put behind the game is one thing, but at the end of the day it will only matter how much that game has sold. If it sells somewhere around a million units, that will probably be good. That was around the same number Quantic Dream tossed around to say their games was a financial success, and I would imagine those game would have roughly the same budget. And judging by the interest the game had from players when it launched and the NPD numbers in August, I would say that is entirely possible.

If they were to make a new game, it would probably come out 3 to 4 years though, since these game's content is based a lot on writing and acting.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends if people actually bought it after watching the streamers play through it.

But at the very least I'm sure we will see more games like this, hopefully from the same team because this one turned out great.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spoonman671

I vaguely recall reading that this game actually did pretty decent sales, however the fact that this game was in development hell for years, and includes Hollywood actors that surely require hefty paychecks makes me skeptical about Until Dawn's profitability. I'd love to see more of these games every other Halloween, but I'm not sure Sony will re-invest in this IP.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked it, I don't really need an Until Dawn 2, I'd like to see the team explore more choice stuff in a different game, but I wouldn't be opposed to just a change of horror. Harlan Ellison or Lovecraft would be good routes to explore. Knowing our luck, we'll get an Until Dawn 2 about Sam or Mike killing all the monsters.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#8  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Until Dawn feels like a one and done game to me. Sure the setting of surviving a horror filled night until dawn can be reused with new locations and characters. Yet going by their previous work I doubt Sony will let them revisit this scenario unless it sells more than a few million copies. The fact that this game was stuck in development for longer than they expected most likely doesn't give them the push needed to fund a sequel.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

This game was in limbo for years, I sincerely doubt we will ever see another one. I'm surprised it even came out at all.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Yeah, I could get behind this idea. Making each game it's own self-contained thing a la Final Fantasy sounds like a great idea to me. It's also seems like the perfect fit to work in some sort of Twitch.tv integration provided that the person streaming it isn't some ADHD motherfucker who can't make it past the first 30 minutes because they're upset they can't kill anyone. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah, I need to stop before I go off on another rant.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I dunno if it's a new series per se, but I do think it provides a template for these types of games going forward.

I've always had two problems with David Cage-style games. The first is that 80% of what you're doing is really mundane every day shit. Like "move the controller back and forth to brush your teeth." Well f-that. I don't play video games to do things I can easily do in real life. It's the same reason I don't play FIFA even though I'm really into soccer - if I wanted to play soccer, I'll just go out and play soccer.

The second issue is that the "feels" are so badly done that it just becomes cringe inducing. For games that hang their hat on realism, the characters act and speak in some pretty mind-numbingly dumb ways.

The horror-style setting of Until Dawn managed to kind of solve both problems simultaneously. First, it lets you do things you can't do in real life. Secondly, by making the game in the teen-slasher genre, you sort of expect the characters to act in really stupid ways.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm just impressed Until Dawn 1 actually got released. That right there is the happy ending this series is probably going to go out on.

I mean, this thing was in development for a very long time... first as a Move showpiece on PS3 and then getting a total makeover and move to PS4... I doubt Sony will recoup their costs even if it is selling "well". I'd hazard a guess that asking for a sequel in two years is a huge thing to ask for.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think your pitch makes a lot of sense but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not sure how it sold plus reportedly the development was a mess.

I think the hope should be that it inspires other games. I think the branching story based videogame makes a lot of sense with the slasher/horror format.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope so man!

It seems like the game was well received, and I would love love love to see what they could do with a sequel.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

God, I hope so. Love this game and it would be great to see it become a series. Maybe it could take a leaf from American Horror Story and change location and horror genre every game but keep some of the same themes and maybe cast? Although I bet getting the same actors again might be hard.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wasn't this thing by all means a development nightmare? A direct sequel seems incredibly unlikely. Maybe somebody will try to do something similar.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope so but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ghost_cat

If I were Sony; even if Until Dawn didn't make nearly as much money as other AAA blockbusters, it was widely talked about and shown through many streaming/online video outlets, so I would see Until Dawn as a unique approach to exclusive marketing for their console. If the budget for such a game wasn't that much, it could be treated much like the current horror industry in pumping out similar horror experiences, and keeping it within Sony platform (Until Microsoft comes out with their own version of a Until-Dawn like game).

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Castiel

If anyone should be a recurring character it should be Peter Stormare.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20 FinalDasa  Moderator

Random trivia. The Friday the 13th movies weren't meant to always be about hockey-masked Jason Voorhees. The films were meant to be an anthology but Jason's popularity in the first film spurred the creators to keep him in and thus a horror franchise was born.

I'm hoping Until Dawn could become an anthology game. Similar gameplay but built around more horror tropes and cliches. They could bring in the same characters/actors if they wanted but treat it as something completely separate.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By monkeyking1969

@finaldasa said:

Random trivia. The Friday the 13th movies weren't meant to always be about hockey-masked Jason Voorhees. The films were meant to be an anthology but Jason's popularity in the first film spurred the creators to keep him in and thus a horror franchise was born.

I'm hoping Until Dawn could become an anthology game. Similar gameplay but built around more horror tropes and cliches. They could bring in the same characters/actors if they wanted but treat it as something completely separate.

Yeah, I woudl want a new story, new characters, and new actors. Like I said, Larry Fessenden is such a nutty looking guy as 'The Stranger', that I would not mind him coming back as different versions of himself playing different characters. I don't even think major actors are needed. Sure , Hayden Panettiere, Peter Stormare, Rami Malek where very good, but I actually liked the other performers as well.

If you want to know what this game had troubled development...it is risk aversion. It wasn't a sure fire bet and -we all know it- and few developers/publishers want to back a risky idea.

Its a great game , but even I heard in critics voices, 'I liked it and found its better than I expected....but will anyone else?' If you want more games like this the fans of such games have to speaking up proudly and say "MORE OF THIS" very loudly and without equivocation. Its time for story focused games that are exploration and QTE to stop apologizing for being awesome. Until Dawn makes a lot of excellent games that game out this year look lacking.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be game for more, I even checked for any DLC when I finished it a few days ago

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally do an anthology thing with it. Get Simon Barrett and Adam Wingard to do the next one. Doing it should be easier than the first if they set their goals on the PS4 as a platform and straight up use the same places to "shoot" since those are probably already set up.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be game for more, I even checked for any DLC when I finished it a few days ago

Some DLC would be excellent. Heavy Rain put out scenarios that never made it in their full game. If the developer has some rooms like that, with non-canonical events, I'd love to play or see those.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see another one come along. I think now that the developers got it out they know what they're doing. They're not trying to (or being made to) force Move support into it and there's no generational transition coming up any time soon. The world of video games now compared to when this was originally announced is very different. We're much more accepting of games that are like this and the Telltale games, less about mechanics and gameplay and more about choices and story. And Twitch/Youtube are going to be around for a while, so may as well bang these sort of "viewer" games out while you can.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@skullpanda1 said:

Some DLC would be excellent. Heavy Rain put out scenarios that never made it in their full game. If the developer has some rooms like that, with non-canonical events, I'd love to play or see those.

"Scenario", only The Taxidermist came out. More were planned, but they shifted gears to work on the, wait for it, Move Edition.

SaltyKind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it would be cool. I don't have a PS4, so I ultimately had to watch someone else play it.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not necessarily a sequel but maybe another game using the same forrmat, murder mystery perhaps or a twilight zone esque game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:
@monkeyking1969 said:
@skullpanda1 said:

"Scenario", only The Taxidermist came out. More were planned, but they shifted gears to work on the, wait for it, Move Edition.

Well, David Cage is a bit eccentric. I'm sure Sony said, "David we'd love another Heavy Rain game....really" and he just went ahead and did Two Souls which really took any momentum he had and squandered it with a game that many critics say was just a whole lot less fun. There is a time to move on with new ideas, yet there is a time to build,consolidate or perfect and idea that works. David Cage won't build on successes and is always trying to innovate, so I think he will bury Quantic Dream.

I hope the folks at Supermassive Games are a bit smarter. A second game, maybe with some improvements and solid DLC plan could do very well. I hope people at Sony are smart about a second game if the developer needs backing. I actually I think the people at Sony 3rd party relations ARE the best in the business. If Supermassive is willing I think we could see both resources for DLC for the first game and a solid commitment for a 2nd game. Who knows....it not impossible even if it is just slim.