• 135 results
Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Boniti

https://kotaku.com/ea-shuts-down-visceral-games-1819623990?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Apparently Visceral is gone. Personally I'm pretty bummed.

“Our Visceral studio has been developing an action-adventure title set in the Star Wars universe,” EA’s Patrick Söderlund said. “In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, leaning into the capabilities of our Frostbite engine and reimagining central elements of the game to give players a Star Wars adventure of greater depth and breadth to explore.”

"tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace" is maybe the worst reason to give for changing the game's direction. That, especially considering their questionable policy regarding Battlefront 2's progression, sounds like they want to build the game around battle royale or loot boxes or some other big craze going on right now. Sucks.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon  Online

Amy Hennig's game dead?

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An EA spokesperson said that "we are in discussions with Amy [Hennig] about her next move." Her game is being moved to a different studio, where, "It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What a bummer.

As you noted, business/marketing lingo is so awful. I'm glad that, due to "fundamental shifts in my free time," I've "pivoted my hobbies" away from games this year and "shifted my leisure activities to a be a broader experience that allows for more variety." Ew. Now I need to go take a shower or something.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

"...we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design. We will maintain the stunning visuals, authenticity in the Star Wars universe, and focus on bringing a Star Wars story to life. Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency..."

What a depressing couple of sentences that perfectly sum up the majority of AAA development. And yeah, sucks to see Visceral go (and obviously hope everyone impacted finds work quickly).

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pweidman

Damn, that's really too bad. I thoroughly enjoyed their Dead Space games. I wonder where this new game went so wrong to cause EA to shut them down. Another example of questionable decision making by this publisher perhaps.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fare thee well, Visceral Studios. Join your brothers and sisters in the EA graveyard. You've got some great company in that corpse pile, and you might have some more soon if Anthem doesn't do well. :*-(

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Its clear that EA just wants a game where they can nickle and dime people with microtransactions rather than delivering just a solid game. I know that games cost a lot to make and we are getting a deal with games being $60 but maybe not make a game that costs $60 million

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace
  • deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come
  • shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency

Oh boy. Those last two would seem positive if this was all in a different context.

Was really looking forward to a story-based, linear adventure game, but they say it almost like it's a bad thing. This all has me now expecting some games-as-a-service loot box premium store flim flam extravaganza that combined with the Star Wars Intellectual Property will monetize the fuck out of the world.

Amy Hennig's game dead?

EA was not clear about the status of longtime Uncharted director Amy Hennig, who joined Visceral to direct this Star Wars game after she left Naughty Dog in early 2015. In an e-mail, an EA spokesperson said: “We are in discussions with Amy about her next move.”

Safe to say.

Pour one out for Visceral Games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

EA doing what EA has always done, I see. The sterile corporate speak makes it way worse.

What a disappointing end to the studio responsible for Dead Space 1 and 2. Sure, it's also the studio responsible for Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 3, but those games smacked of corporate meddling more than a lack of talent. Hope people can find jobs quickly.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a big, flashing sign to where the industry is heading. Single player, narrative driven games are seen as too much a risk to these huge publishers.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this game will be simplified and filled to the brim with microtransactions when it comes out I guess. Oh and bonus points for cramming in multiplayer that no-one will play, in an attempt to keep players coming back (to buy more loot boxes of course)...

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It sucks that people lost their jobs. It sucks we lose yet another studio, and one of the last in the medium tier.

If we look at the current generation time period 2013 to now, they got some hard punches. Dead Space 3 came out in 2013 and was not well received, from that they made a DLC pack for BF3. Then from that DLC pack to Army of Two The Devils Cartel. Then they rolled from AoT: Devils Cartel into the disaster of Battlefield Hartline. They were given some real setbacks and sadly they last four years have been setback after setback for the studio. Ist easy to see a narrative where they just hit a rough patch that weakened them enough that getting this SW game made was hard. I assume trying to make a new Star Wars game in an era of Disney micromanagement is going to be very, very hard for everyone.

I wish everyone there good luck and hope they all land on their feet. It stinks when another studio succumbs to these market forces.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By conmulligan

Fuckin' EA, man.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Amy Hennig's take on Star Wars was one of the most exciting ideas in gaming for me. To see that it's probably dead because it wouldn't make room for more loot boxes is fucking depressing. Every game shouldn't try to be Destiny. Big, bad EA strikes again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another potentially incredible story focused single player game focused tested into mediocre open world/ multiplayer always online loot crate driven game that nobody cares about. I'd love to see who they use as focused tests groups.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're going to repackage the assets into something they can pack full of paid loot boxes.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta love corporate speak, just for once it would be wild for a company to be honest. No “fundamental shifts in the marketplace” bullcrap, just straight up say. "We wanted another cash cow, we love money, money money money, we love it so much, we stick it up our butts, money."

We all know why there are doing this. Try being honest assholes instead of just assholes.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're going to repackage the assets into something they can pack full of paid loot boxes.

I'm usually the first to rail against this kinda "ciclejerk" like talk regarding lootboxes but thats sure as hell what that statement sounded like.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drdarkstryfe said:

This is a big, flashing sign to where the industry is heading. Single player, narrative driven games are seen as too much a risk to these huge publishers.

yeah, it's a bummer. hopefully the gap between AAA and indie team production-values closes sooner than later. who knows- maybe this will drive legitimate innovation amongst smaller teams willing to take risks that larger teams can't/won't.

still a tremendous bummer though.

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains Yeah I'm with you, speculation isn't good and it's easy for a discussion like this to quickly become hyperbolic, but it's almost like they're straight up telling us this... 'shifts in the marketplace'? In recent weeks there has been a TON of talk about very specific 'shifts', and none of them are particularly good. And one of them is focused on EA already

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross.

Single-player, linear, story-driven AAA games are exactly what I want.

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mortonan

Sigh. I think I still held out some hope that after their Star Wars game they'd eventually come back with a worthy successor to Dead Space 2, one of my favorite games of last gen. I'm sure they've had tons of talent turnover since then, but it's still a shame to see the studio go out like this.

And yeah, it seemed like they were working on a linear action game, and somebody decided they could make more money with something grindy-er. As someone who prefers meticulously crafted single player games it sucks to see things shifting this way.

AlvaroFAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man seeing that Quote on the Kotaku made me wonder about EA franchises for this year, since they haven't been cancelled that might mean those games are up to the EA "demonetization" plan. So it should be fair to say the new Need For Speed that actually looked "Burnouty" enough to peak my interest might just have the same BS loot cars that Forza has.

I can't take it, Good Single player games keep being replayed and bought after years. I started replaying MGS5 last month just after going through another run of Witcher 3. And after curiously browsing the mod scene for skyrim, yesterday, I'm wanting to install it once again.

I feel like EA spent the last 2 years trying to show it was a new EA and not the old shit who kept closing dev companies, but i guess Its back to its traditions

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks somebody for filing this under the Visceral topic, forgot!

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is a bummer. Just got around to playing Dead Space 3 earlier this year, and was really looking forward to their next thing.

Do they really want a second Destiny-esque game? Anthem is on its way, and honestly, it's anyone's bet whether this type of game is still in vogue or not by next year. You know what would've probably been an incredibly safe bet? A big-budget Star Wars adventure released around the time of one of the movies.

That jpeg of all the great dev's they've shut down over the years is getting pretty cramped at this point.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was finally hopeful for a single-player focused Star Wars game after the huge disappointment of the cancellation of Star Wars 1313, which was looking so promising.

What I was hoping would be a tight, focused single player game will now be an always online "game as service", possibly be sold as "seasons", likely have a bland and empty open world, and be filled with microtransactions, loot boxes, and season pass DLC. Damn it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The increasing domination of Games As A Service is breaking my heart.

pjburrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin said:

This is a bummer. Just got around to playing Dead Space 3 earlier this year, and was really looking forward to their next thing.

Do they really want a second Destiny-esque game? Anthem is on its way, and honestly, it's anyone's bet whether this type of game is still in vogue or not by next year. You know what would've probably been an incredibly safe bet? A big-budget Star Wars adventure released around the time of one of the movies.

That jpeg of all the great dev's they've shut down over the years is getting pretty cramped at this point.

Exactly. The one thing I took from the Battlefront II beta was that I want a Star Wars game that's not a shooter. There is so much scope for a single player Star Wars based game, with or without a tie-in to the current movies.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will people react better if they increase game prices rather than lootboxes? or will just less people in general buy?

I think there is a balance between cosmetic purcahses and making the game feel slow without giving them extra.

It was a longtime coming. Games are more expensive and there is a group of people who think ANY dlc is bad and just go back to the witcher 3 or whatever. So they had to have a way to almost "trick" people into not thinking of it as DLC. I dont want to blame that group but I really think that was the start of it.

Jarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like EA is committed to equating a studio with a single franchise. If a game is cancelled, the studio is cancelled. It must get a bit depressing for the developers to realize their studio will only ever do one game.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amy should GTFO and start her own little studio.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By hassun

Story-driven single player games?

EA:

No Caption Provided

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting vibes from when tons of studios were trying to chase after the MMO money before that well ran dry. If they really are going all in on loot boxes and games as a service then they're already well behind that curve just like they were with MMO's. With so many studios and publishers going this route there will eventually come a point where there won't be enough people to play and sustain all the service based games. I'm pretty sure the last EA game I bought was DA: Inquisition so it seems like that won't be changing anytime soon. On the up-side that means my current trend of buying more indie games will continue.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes you wonder if AAA will have any tangible identity in a handful of years.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fare thee well, Visceral Studios. Join your brothers and sisters in the EA graveyard. You've got some great company in that corpse pile, and you might have some more soon if Anthem doesn't do well. :*-(

Reminds me of that drawing of EA walking Bioware to a grave of other developers. Another one for the pile.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

EA is an absolute joke, deserve all the crap that they get. I don't think they know what the feck they are doing, especially the robotic twat you see at E3 press conferences. Hopefully the talent at the studio find their feet, especially the likes of Amy.

EA represents everything wrong with the games industry.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

Looking at the great developers EA as destroyed over the years is downright depressing, Visceral, Bioware, Criterion Games and Maxis to name just a few.

Seeing the Criterion Games logo on Battlefield 2 beta just bummed me out, they're so much better than that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that comes to my mind is, that sucks for Dead Space. And yeah, that doesn't sound good for the new Star Wars game.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By soulcake
No Caption Provided

Destroyer of Worlds, EA Next stop Criterion

Liam_Flannery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA represents everything wrong with the games industry.

This right here. I know it was stupid that for several years they kept being voted the worst company in the world but you would've thought that would've been their wake up call but instead they double-down on being shitty. They shit all over Mass Effect, they basically own the market when it comes to sports titles so they can do as little as they please, they refuse to give customers what they want (Skate 4) and they take some of their best and most beloved developers and shut them down.

I feel absolutely gutted for Amy Hennig and the rest of Visceral. You're now apart of an exclusive club along with Maxis, Bullfrog, Mythic, Origin, Blackbox, Pandemic, Westworld and a few others. In the past 5 years, EA have shut down 7 studios (now including Visceral). So basically, if you're a game studio, don't even think about letting EA buy you as it's only a matter of time before they shut you down. You might get lucky and last 18 years like Maxis or you might be like Pandemic and get shut down within a year.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#46  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Oh wow, didn't really see that coming..

@boniti said:

An EA spokesperson said that "we are in discussions with Amy [Hennig] about her next move." Her game is being moved to a different studio, where, "It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design."

errrrr

That definitely sounds like... A) multiplayer B) microtransactions C) both

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm buying Battlefront 2 because it's the first damn single player AAA Star Wars game we've had in years. We would have played 1313 by now if it wasn't for corporate interests getting in the way of game development.

I don't know what this project is going to be now, but I'm not thrilled with modern online multiplayer games and I'm still pretty burnt out on open world games. A focused, well made single player Star Wars game that I can put down when it's done sounded like a breath of fresh air.

All I know now is we'll all be waiting longer for whatever this is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the great developers EA as destroyed over the years is downright depressing, Visceral, Bioware, Criterion Games and Maxis to name just a few.

Seeing the Criterion Games logo on Battlefield 2 beta just bummed me out, they're so much better than that.

You mean Battlefront 2 right? Man I love Battlefield 2 the good ol' day's before lootboxes, microstractions, day 1 DLC ect..

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Solh0und

*Pours out a 40 in honor of Visceral Games*