Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Friday the 13th: The Game

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 26, 2017

Take control of classic horror icon Jason Voorhees and stalk up to seven other players (as camp counselors trying to survive the night) in this asymmetrical-multiplayer survival horror game.

One year later, "Summer Camp" is a Friday the 13th game; going to kickstarter; still an asymmetrical multiplayer game

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By whitegreyblack

Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp was announced with a teaser trailer back around Nov 2014. Both Tom Savini and Harry Manfredini were listed as being involved, which was exciting. However, not much else was known or shown, other than the game being an asymmetrical multiplayer game. The only supposedly in-game graphics were a couple of environments shown right at the end of the trailer, and looked very early and rough.

Well, Summer Camp is now a Friday the 13th game. The teaser for the game is at f13game.com (sorry, I cannot find it online to post here).

Personally, I'm still disappointed that this is an asymmetrical multiplayer game (after seeing how games like Titanfall & Evolve have lost their player counts very quickly after launching). I'm also not impressed by the trailer's lack of any real new footage (beyond a static model of Jason) - still not much in the way of in-game graphics beyond a few lifeless environments (that said, at least the environments look a little more realistic and fleshed out than the original teaser trailer for Summer Camp).

The game is headed to Kickstarter (asking for $700K; Adam Sessler is on the pitch video for some reason), so I guess I'll pull up a seat and see how it plays out over the next... couple of years, maybe?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Interesting to see this come back. I was under the impression that it went dark because of some sort of litigation, but reading the explanation on the KS page, it seems that they were on good terms with Sean Cunningham and this transformation into a Friday the 13th game was pretty smooth and amicable for all involved.

EDIT: Ah. The reason I thought that was because I was confusing "Summer Camp" with "Last Year", a game that's extremely similar in damn near every way. "Last Year" had a successful KS and is apparently still slowly progressing, but they were forced to change a character's design to make him not resemble Jason as closely.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Better yet. Has anybody else played the original on the 2600? Sadly I have.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whitegreyblack

@chaser324: Apparently the licence was "gifted" to them, with no money changing hands.

Looking at the KS page a few minutes ago, I see blurred-out stretch goals all the way up to somewhere north of 4 milliondollars. They are hoping for some big spenders on this one.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 chaser324  Moderator

@whitegreyblack: Yeah. I edited my post because I was actually confusing this game with "Last Year", a game that's nearly identical in every single way.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Damn, that's a pretty decent wiki. = D

Okay, okay. Aside from that, I've been following the game since it was originally announced. As a massive horror fan, I cannot even express the level of excitement I have right now! Getting to play as Jason, trying to slaughter teenage sex-crazed idiots? Playing as counselors trying to survive and off the titan of horror?

*swoon*

The only thing that is currently missing for me is Tommy Jarvis, but they are apparently working on that.

I hope it turns out to be good.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has the potential to be so, so good. Or unspeakably terrible. Here's hoping for good.

I hope the Jason player can pick from variations of Jason with different strengths and weaknesses, as they do with the counselors. Maybe human Jason can set traps and run, but dies more easily. Zombie Jason is slow, but powerful. Impostor Jason has the power of audience disappointment, and Hell Jason gets approximately 3 seconds of playtime before the whole match goes batshit crazy something something possession magical dagger what the fuck was that movie anyway.

I'd love alternate maps as well, like Boat/Manhattan, space ship, Springwood (or Sprongwood if they can't get the license), de_dust...

It's way too much fun thinking of features for this game.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I really, really hope this is great. I have extremely high hopes for this one.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187

@shagge: From what the development team has said, the counselors play towards class-based structure. For instance, The Jock is a bit stronger, so he has a harder-hitting melee swing, while The Nerd might be better equipped to handle things like fixing stuff (such as phone lines or cars, etc).

It also looks like there are possibly some other map options available through stretch goals, but it's hard to tell with the picture blurred out. I can make out that something about single player happens around the $3 million mark, though.

I also received a message from the developers on Facebook that they are currently talking with GOG and Humble Bundle to see if they can get a DRM-free version released through them, as well as the Steam version.

@chaser324: Oddly enough, the guy behind Last Year took to their Facebook page to accuse them of thievery. I don't quite understand that, though, as he launched his Kickstarter AFTER Gun Media had already announced Summer Camp. He did mention that there are already lawyers involved and such, so let's hope all that gets resolved without too much bullshit keeping either game from being released.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

This is definitely one of those games that could be incredible if they pull it off, or really really bad.

I wish the team the best. Their enthusiasm makes me want them to succeed.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing but the lowest expectations for whatever this thing will be.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

Damn, that's a pretty decent wiki. = D

I think it's got too much of my opinion and cynicism to make a good wiki entry, but it you can salvage anything from my blurb to add to the wiki, please do!

I am very cautiously skeptical of this game. I don't like that even the environment teases so far have looked pretty flat and lifeless (trees and foliage don't even seem to be moving at all, but I know it's suuuuper early). The devs also discuss actual gameplay but I really want to see something in action. Regardless, I'm not a asymmetrical multiplayer kind of guy so I'll probably sit the game out; but I hope it turns out great.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sorta weird they're saying that they want to bring you a version of the game that is completely unrated when you think how fucking cut down almost every Friday The 13th is. Would seem like a rather appropriate in joke to have cut aways on the most gruesome kills

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me this just sounds kind of like evolve but with friday the 13th trappings, I'm sure it will be a fun game if you get a good group of people together but it could lose it's appeal pretty quickly (there isn't even the enemy variety compared to that game) and I'm not really interested unless the single player is more significant than it currently sounds.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Awesome. and I'm happy they're not even trying to make it scary, it seems

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I've been slighted too many times by kickstarters to jump into this one. Will wait until the full release.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Now that there's a thread title.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@shagge: From what the development team has said, the counselors play towards class-based structure. For instance, The Jock is a bit stronger, so he has a harder-hitting melee swing, while The Nerd might be better equipped to handle things like fixing stuff (such as phone lines or cars, etc).

It also looks like there are possibly some other map options available through stretch goals, but it's hard to tell with the picture blurred out. I can make out that something about single player happens around the $3 million mark, though.

Yeah, I knew the counselors had classes (I love that there's a "final girl" class :P), just hoping Jason does as well. The main thing that worries me with this game is that there will be an "optimal strategy" that players eventually discover and take the fun out of things. The more variables, the less chance of that happening.

Hopefully the map thing is low on the stretch list, since even 700k is pretty uncertain given the somewhat niche appeal of this. I did notice that the top goal is a playable Pamela Voorhees...

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: You should have seen it before I pared it down to 120 characters ;-) . I'm really not a fan of vague thread titles.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: Oh no sorry! I misunderstood and thought you meant my initial post sounded like a wiki. I'm a dope!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.