Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game Series

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

Based on the epic-fantasy television series of the same name, Game of Thrones is an episodic adventure game that tells the story of House Forrester, whose fate is threatened by the War of the Five Kings.

Episode 3 is out....now? Discussion and Choices (Spoilers)

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By j_unit2008

No Caption Provided

So that release was under my radar.

I'll be getting into this one tonight, and I'll post my choices as I go. I figured I'd post this as a PSA for other people that were unaware of the release as well as a spot to discuss choices and whatnot. Have at it folks!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nodima

Wow, after a couple of so-so episodes pretty much coasting on the universe, Episode 3 really gets it right as much as any of the best Walking Dead episodes did. Perfectly handles pacing, and for the first time in this series I felt wrapped up in the roles I'd given these people.

In some cases it backfired (turns out I'd highly, highly overestimated how prestigious Mira was and felt real chills during an encounter with any of the HBO series' regulars this time around) and in some cases it played to the strengths of the show's ambiguity and bloodline-centric plot pushers. But it always felt right, and once the episode got into it's groove I really wanted it to just keep on going.

What I really enjoyed is that for the first time they NAILED what a great TV ending feels like. There are still several video game tropes in the writing, but so much of this felt like a television show, and at times like the Game of Thrones television show, it really is a bit of an accomplishment I think. Much like the first season of Walking Dead's first season, this shows a staff really getting into a groove with their subject matter. Hopefully it can land as smoothly as it's taken off.

CHOICES

You and 54%Saved Malcolm

You and 49.7%Obeyed Margaery, and Avoided Tyrion.

You and 1.6% remained silent at Britt's End.

You and 28.8% stood up to Gryff Whitehall.

You and 31.4% burned the Ironwood Decree.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By LackingSaint

This series has been generally pretty mediocre so far (especially in comparison to the consistently stellar Tales From The Borderlands), but i've got to say this was a really solid episode. There were multiple choices that had my palms sweating, and the pacing really didn't have those awkward cuts that were present in the last few episodes. The voice acting is, in my opinion, still absolutely awful for the most part (what was that Whitehill chick going for? Posh welsh-irish scot with a bit of west midlands?), and the animations can still be awkward and jumpy, but in terms of writing this was a marked improvement on what came before.

Saved Malcolm, because he was an unarmed civilian and not a hardened warrior.

Obeyed Margaery and ignored Tyrion. They really need to do something to make Margaery sympathetic in this series; I feel like half of my time as Mira is spent listening to Margaery calling my loyalty into question, while she does nothing in the slightest to help me in any way.

Walked away from Britt. I did absolutely everything in my power to avoid killing him, even getting a couple Game Overs from intentionally missing hits. Guess that dude really wanted to die!

Laid down for Gryff. Whitehill lady asked me to do her a solid and not start fights with Gryff, and i'd rather bet on "be loyal to a behind-the-scenes ally who could secretly steer things in your favor" than "be a cripple throwing shitty punches at armored lords". That seems not even short-sighted, that's wearing a blindfold and swinging wildly for a pinata. In an empty desert.

Burned the Ironwood Decree. Tyrion's word isn't gonna get me far at this point.

I think the main thing that pushes this episode way beyond the others was how cohesive the narrative felt. With the exception of the Asher stuff, I feel like every perspective came down to questions of ego, asking each character to consider how much they will allow themselves to be tested for noble reasons; it was great how, despite the context being completely different, both Rodrik and Gared's arcs are coming down to this idea of "What are you willing to let go?" It feels much more true to the spirit of ASOIF than "EPIC DEATHS OUT OF NOWHERE".

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Episode 3 is a really strong addition to the series, everything suddenly feels important and all the characters story arcs are finally starting to reach a breaking point, also this episode does right in retrospectively making the previous 2 episodes better. For those holding off for the whole thing I think they've got it right, like 'The Wolf Among Us' I think this series will be vastly improved by playing it as a whole, on their own the first 2 episodes felt mediocre but the way everything from the first 2 episodes culminated in this one including references to past decisions has restored my faith in this particular series. But for those who haven't bought it yet I recommend waiting for the whole set.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'm surprised to hear the reactions here. Perhaps it's because I'm a huge fan of the books, but so far I think this is the best series Telltale has released yet.

Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
    Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

My biggest frustration with the series so far is the sense that every choice I've made so far is the wrong one, both for the characters themselves and their greater missions. I'll play through it again once the season's out to figure out if it's like Walking Dead Season 1 where certain bad things are set in stone, but man...

mysour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fish_face_mcgee: You know, I have to agree with you. I'm constantly second-guessing my choices because I don't want things to turn out terribly, but that's exactly what seems to be the course as soon as I make a decision. There doesn't seem to be support for the decisions you make.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.