Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game of Thrones: A Telltale Game Series

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Dec 02, 2014

Based on the epic-fantasy television series of the same name, Game of Thrones is an episodic adventure game that tells the story of House Forrester, whose fate is threatened by the War of the Five Kings.

Episode 4 Discussion and Choices (SPOILERS)

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By LackingSaint

It's good to see that after Episode 3 - which quickly turned TT's GoT from "forgettable fluff" to "tense thriller" - we've gotten an Episode with just as many nail-biting scenarios and brutal character moments. In my opinion, this series has been consistently getting better and better, and I hope Episode 5 keeps that up. Still doesn't approach the masterful work TellTale is doing with Tales From The Borderlands, but this series has become something i've seriously started looking forward to.

For some reason, I didn't get any kind of choice thing at the end of this episode. This isn't something i've ever seen happen in a modern TellTale game, so I dunno if it's just a bug or some kind of new mechanical change. In any case, here's what I figure are the important choices, and what I chose to do;

I revealed that Sera was a bastard, to get some information on Lyman Lannister. Felt suuuper bad about it in retrospect, since she's been nothing but nice to me, but hey, King's Landing!

I told the Archer dudes I wouldn't kill Gryff, and then I had him imprisoned. Didn't punch him about or spit on him, because unlike Gryff i'm not a massive dick. I got kind of annoyed when Gwyn Whitehill (HOLY SHIT LAURA BAILEY PLEASE WORK ON THIS ACCENT IT IS ACTUALLY SO DISTRACTINGLY BAD) acted like I had somehow betrayed her when I chose the most delicate option that game offered me. I literally said to the Archer Dude "No, I can't fuck with Gryff. Take back your Archers", and he still gave me them and I had to apprehend him.

Took Finn and Cotter with me to the Wild North. Finn is such a bro, backing me up after I killed that guy. I like him way more than Cotter at this point, which probably means he's in for an agonizing death.

I killed the slaver dude on Beksha's behalf. I seriously just couldn't be assed with all the angst from her and bitchiness from Croft, so I did the thing and there now it's done get over it man. Beksha seems cool with it, and Croft is obviously pissed off but i'm sure he'll get over it.

I had all of my Archers stay to guard Ironrath, and left Ser Royland to guard it with them because A) He's not my Sentinel and B) He's specifically a military advisor. Man, can you imagine if I had decided to leave my hand-picked diplomatic advisor to lead an army, and brought my military advisor to a diplomatic mission? I mean, it's a good thing I did, because having my entire army and a honed military dude guarding my keep totally meant they didn't get completely trounced by Deus Ex Ramsayna at the end there!! (heh heh... hehh...)

I called Ludd's bluff on killing my brother. Seriously this was just a crapshoot, I just felt too caught under duress to be say stuff like "HEY NO WE'LL DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, DUDER". Luckily it worked out for me, and I had a wonderful occasion where Mom Forrestor was all "i'm glad you knew exactly what you were doing". Sure, lady, sure.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Guess this series doesn't have a ton of people talking here, which is shame because I think it's really good.

I didn't reveal that Sera was a bastard. The dude seemed like a creep and Sera is the only reason I actually got into the coronation. I couldn't sell her out like that, besides the dummy still gave me all the information anyway.

I fucked Gryff up. Beat him across the face with my crane, then poked his eye out, which was maybe a bit much, spit on him and locked him up. I probably went a little too far but for real, fuck that guy.

Took both Finn and Cotter, though Cotter got pissed at me after I shot one of the Wildlings in the back when they were running away. They had the food though and even though there wasn't that much left, we still needed all we could get.

I let Beksha kill the slaver. It seemed like the best thing for everyone if she was able to let go of her baggage and just focus on the mission.

I left the Archers at Ironwrath with Royland.

The scene with Ludd Whitehill actually annoyed me a lot because it felt like I was being forced into a decision. My first response was to attack, which lead to Duncan killing Ludd and then the Whitehill guards killing everyone and a game over screen. If you're just going to say "no, you can't do that" then why is it a choice at all? In the end, I ended up calling his bluff, which was obviously a better move but still, it felt like the game really undermined my decision making.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By odinsmana

I really enjoyed this episode. Probably the best one so far in my opinion (with the possible exception of the first one)

I didn`t reveal that Sera was a bastard. I still got the information by lying to the guy and i think it`s in my best interest for me to be on Sera`s good side since Margaery is pissed at me right now.

I ended up punching Gryff a couple of times because i didn`t realize you could stop, but didn`t maim him.

I took Finn with me because he had been a solid bro earlier and defended me in front of frostfinger.

I didn`t let Beskha kill the slaver because i was afraid that Daenerys would get angry with me. I regret it in retrospect, especially since it seems Daenerys is going to go back on the deal according to the next episode preview.

I left the archers in Ironrath with Royland. Really hope they haven`t been massacred by Ramsay.

I called Ludd on his bluff because of what Gwyn said about the family earlier.

I think Telltale has been pretty bad at using smoke and mirrors to make me think my choices actually has consequence in this series. In The walking dead and wolf among us i think they were pretty good at making it seem like your choices mattered but in this series it feels like that if you pick the "wrong" choice they just force you to do the other thing anyway or for the consequences to be the same at least, like for example not sending Malcolm to Essos or drinking the wine with Sera. There were some really bad examples of that in this episode i thought, like for example Danearys telling me I was a liar even after showing her the dragon tooth and her seemingly believing me earlier in the conversation.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By bceagles128

I finally got around to this this evening. I agree that Telltale isn't doing a great job of masking the strings behind the curtain on this series. I've been making choices that I wouldn't make in real life simply because I know that they aren't going to alter the plot significantly so I might as well not piss off the people that I consider friends.

I lied to Tarwick that I had met Sera's family because I wanted the info but figured there was no point in pissing off Sera.

Finn didn't show up for me, so he didn't join us. I suppose that makes sense because he told Frostfinger I'd killed that Whitehall guy in cold blood earlier in the episode. I wasn't really mad at him for saying that because it was true, but even so, I'm glad he didn't show up. I would have told him to screw himself if he asked to join us because he's been an asshole to me for the entire series.

I maimed Gryff and poked his eye out because he had it coming, and since I don't really think my choices have an effect on where this is plotline is actually going, I might as well take my victories where I can get them.

I called Ludd on his bluff because Gwynn told me earlier in the episode that Ludd cared about his entire family. I figured pretty much didn't have a choice though. There was no way I was leaving that room alive if Ludd didn't care about his son enough to back down.

I let Beska kill the slave master because there is no way that Dany is going to end up giving you any part of her army (in fact, we literally know that she doesn't from the books/show) so you might as well not piss off Beska.

I left the archers at Ironwrath because I figu red I had the trump card with Gryff locked up so I didn't think the Whitehalls would harm me. I will say that I fucking hate that plotline though. There is no way in hell that I would trade Gryff for Ryon but the stupid fucking game wouldn't let me make that choice. Mutually assured destruction would at least prevent the Whitehills from pissing all over you the way that they had through the series' first 3 episodes. But as soon as you give them back Gryff, you are back in the exact same situation that you were at the beginning of the series, with no hostages on either side and sitting there at a massive military disadvantage to both the Whitehills and the Boltons. If they really want Ryon and you don't have Gryff, the Whitehills could literally march right back into Ironwrath with the Boltons and take him. Fuck that. It's the same reason that Catelyn Stark is an idiot for releasing Jamie. There's no way that Tywin would have risked the Red Wedding if the Starks still held Jamie. You gave up the only thing that was preventing your entire family from being massacred. Congratulations.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.