Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears 2 - What Makes Me Angry

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I've had a bunch of hours with the game already, because I'm a loser of course. I have beat the story, unlocked every achievement save four of the harder ones, beat horde, and played a considerable amount of time in multiplayer. That being said, this is what makes me angry.

• Story -- While the set pieces and overall "epic" feeling of the events is amazing, the storyline never impacted me. I had no emotional pull, and felt like the story was stretched in terms of plot. If you read a wiki summarization of the entire game, you realize you hardly did anything. Just everything you do, you get screwed over and have to do it another way.
    • Chainsaw. I am a big chainsaw bitch myself, but I can realize what makes it over-powered. Often times, when two people are supposed to clash, instead one person decimates the other. Or, if a person is turned around and you are coming from behind; if he starts to turn around sometimes it can blow right through you. Also, it seems more capable of driving through bullets. Shotguns, lancer... I've gone through it all still revving. Also, you'll consistently lock onto the wrong opponent.
    • Shields, it seems balanced for them to move slow and yet have cover, but it seems a bit overpowered currently. Most of the time you won't have the requirements to effectively kill them. Then when they hide behind the shield, their pistol bullets will take you down faster.
    • Matchmaking is slow. As I've found in a thread, apparently EPIC realizes this problem and is possibly fixing it, or waiting for the servers to calm down. Whatever it is, it needs to be fixed. I want to jump in and play, not sit in a lobby looking for matches that constantly refresh.
    • Too much time before and after matches. Voting is fine and all, but then you have to wait twenty seconds or so while it loads, another fifteen for it to start. Then you have to sit there, literally listening to the opposition being a bunch of bitches and yelling comments at you after a match. If anything, at least let me go right back to the lobby. My blood pressure will go through the roof if I have to listen to bragging idiots with clan gamertags after every match.
    • Lag. I've joined numerous games with lag issues. It's not fun teleporting for an entire game.
    • The voting system. I like voting on maps, but not on game types. If I want to do matchmaking, I'd prefer it my choice. I hate doing Territories and have to play Annex, just because people vote it. Not much motivation for me to play happily.
    • Stopping power. I have heard a lot of people complaining about stopping power, and I don't really see why. Regardless, the main complaint here is that there is too much of it.
    • Concussion grenades. Don't even get me started on how long it takes to get back up, or how cheesy your battle-hardened character falls. On top of that, let's add planted grenades to the scheme of things. It slows down the pace of the game, and encourages turtling.

Overall a great game, not what some people were expecting when it comes to the multiplayer. I personally enjoy it, save a few frustrating moments. Glad I didn't fall into as much hype as everybody else. When that happens, of course you will be disappointed. All I can see is some questionable choices as far as design is concerned. Why make me listen to trash-talking "gangsters" for such a long time? For such a high-budget game, what's with the excessive lagging? Why is Submission so unbalanced and boring, when it's such a great concept?

Feel free to post your criticism on some of the changes, or new features, of Gears of War 2.
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I'm got HUGE expectations for Gears 2 and from what you said, you might be right, I'll be disappointed.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

ReTarDedFisHy hasn't played it, but from what he's seen, Gears 2 looks like the best 360 title this year :O

But he also heard that there were some issues with the game's multiplayer.
    It seems that a lot of people don't like the weapon sliding, says it breaks the game.

ReTarDedFisHy doesn't know much, if anything at all, so he doesn't really know what he's talking about really, don't take his word for it. Looks like a great game, though :}

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince
    ReTarDedFisHy said:
    "ReTarDedFisHy hasn't played it, but from what he's seen, Gears 2 looks like the best 360 title this year :O

It seems that a lot of people don't like the weapon sliding, says it breaks the game.

ReTarDedFisHy doesn't know much, if anything at all, so he doesn't really know what he's talking about really, don't take his word for it. Looks like a great game, though :}"
    Weapon sliding?
    Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Liquid Prince said:

"Weapon sliding?"
    Picking up weapons/items while running.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GioVANNI

I can't agree more with the voting issue.  And I shot a, Locust revving his chainsaw, with a shotgun, and he chainsaw'd me.  >:|

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Fosssil
    LiquidPrince said:
    "ReTarDedFisHy said:
    "ReTarDedFisHy hasn't played it, but from what he's seen, Gears 2 looks like the best 360 title this year :O

ReTarDedFisHy doesn't know much, if anything at all, so he doesn't really know what he's talking about really, don't take his word for it. Looks like a great game, though :}"
    Weapon sliding?"
    Weapon sliding is where you "slide" over the weapon while picking it up, as opposed to stopping and becoming vulnerable. Surprisingly, one of the two currently known slides also existed in Gears 1 before the first patch (simultaneous X-B). I don't know how Epic could let the same glitch that they already fixed in the first game show up in the second one, but it'll probably be patched out soon anyway.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By napalm

Most of your complaints basically put you in the, "I ran around in the first Gears shotgunning everyone to death, and now that I can't, this game sucks."

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

Guys, guys, guys....

A chick could show Vinchenzo some tit and bush and he'd find a reason to complain.  It's cool.  =  P
    Just pickin' on ya, bacon boy.

Anyways, I've dug Gears 2 a bit more than the first one, but I still can't get into the multiplayer.  It's too radically different from playing CoD and BF2 for me.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Napalm said:
    "Most of your complaints basically put you in the, "I ran around in the first Gears shotgunning everyone to death, and now that I can't, this game sucks.""

Did he ever say that? No. Is your argument valid? No.

I agree with you for the most part. I think the game fully delivered on the campaign (nice variety, pacing, good length), but the multiplayer is in a word horrendous. I've always despised matchmaking aside from when it was done in CoD4. The difference? CoD4 allowed you to search for a single gametype and party up with friends. I don't really mind the voting thing on maps and such because none of them were really bad. What I hated about Halo 3 and other matchmaking based games was that you had to choose a playlist that had a many different gametypes on it, and rarely got the one you want. Call me old fashioned, but I love DM and TDM (or in Gears' case, Execution and Warzone). They have a playlist for these two gametypes, but with the inclusion of achievements for winning rounds of guardian, you rarely get into a room willing to play for fun (not blaming achievements here, I love them myself. Just saying that they shouldn't be included with Warzone and Execution).

Speaking of not being able to get into rooms, you all know by now that the matchmaking process takes upwards of 20 minutes to get into a game. Then when you're done, it just boots you out of the match and you have to regroup your party.

Also I fully agree that the chainsaw has been overpowered this time around. I think Epic should've kept the chainsaw the same from Gears 1 (you know, actually make the player lower it when you shoot them) and downgraded the shotgun (the way it is now seems more or less fine to me).

In layman's terms they really shit the bed with the multiplayer side of things. I'm thinking of trading it in and re-purchasing the original Gears, because that was a lot more fun to play with friends.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Dalai

That's a lot of stuff that... I'm going to say it... be prepared... grinds your gears!

Where's my rimshot?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By TomA

I think your wrong and you complain too much,so ya i don't care.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Napalm said:
    "Most of your complaints basically put you in the, "I ran around in the first Gears shotgunning everyone to death, and now that I can't, this game sucks.""
    Seems like you didn't read the actual blog. I even called myself a chainsaw bitch. I suck with the shotgun.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo
    TomA said:
    "I think your wrong and you complain too much,so ya i don't care."
    Some are opinionated statements, but others are facts. Other people may like the story more than me, but I'm a Half-Life guy. I choose good storytelling. Regardless, a lot of this may seem like a lot, but they are all minor annoyances in an otherwise awesome game.

Plus, you obviously cared enough to post.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

*Worm Spoiler!*

Wow, I thought the story was really cool, especially hearing Marcus Fenix shout "THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM!" I've been playing a bit of multiplayer and having a good time with it. Seems like an issue of personal taste, maybe take up Halo?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vinchenzo
    TooWalrus said:
    "*Worm Spoiler!*

Wow, I thought the story was really cool, especially hearing Marcus Fenix shout "THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM!" I've been playing a bit of multiplayer and having a good time with it. Seems like an issue of personal taste, maybe take up Halo?"
    I hate Halo, and if you read then I love the Gears 2 multiplayer. I just brought up some issues that a majority of people have had problems with, not just "personal taste." People assume way too much when you criticize minor points to a game.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By toowalrus

Only mentioned halo because matchmaking is fast and you can choose your game type, bubble shields are balanced, there's not much lag and you can veto to change the map, and no concussion grenades and not much lag. The only downsides are no chainsaws (though gravity hammers are satisfying) and lots of screaming 10 year olds.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Green_Incarnate

What's wrong with Epic? They patched things in the first game only to put them back in the second. Chainsaw and Double melee are retarded. Why make them so strong again?

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Keeng

I haven't played the game online so I don't have a comment about your multiplayer issues (yet!). However, regarding the first complaint about the story, that's the same way it was in Gears of War. Delta Squad is trying to do something and it doesn't work so they head out to try plans B and C which sort of work but then lead them down another path where another plan is put into action. The only real accomplishment of the game was that you killed a lot of locust while traveling from point A to point B. I hated that. It seems Gears of War 2 has the same problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

TooWalrus said:
    "*Worm Spoiler!*

Wow, I thought the story was really cool, especially hearing Marcus Fenix shout "THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM!"
    This was the most unintentionally funny moment in the game.  It was really over-the-top.  My buddy and I had to pause the game to control our laughter.
    mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By mussbus999

I myself am finding the multiplayer to be kind of repetitive. I mean, run to boomshot/sniper/torque bow/ etc. I loved the first, and I love this, but it has HUGE flaws. I suppose I just kinda expected more =[

I hope L4D will be better =]

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bombHills
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
    bombHills said:
    "

I have been having lots of fun with the game, but yeah it def has problems.  The lag and matchmaking issues are what get to me the most.  Also, I have been unable to figure out how to mute annoing players.  It is possible right?  Someone told me that you can't... That seems crazy.

"
    Unlike in Halo 3, they didn't streamline the "mute" process. Whereas in Halo you could press Back to bring up the scoreboard then scroll down and hit (X) to mute, this you have a harder time which sucks. Basically select somebody and press (A), then go into their gamercard. Once there, Mute should be the option at the bottom. Just do this in the waiting lobby while you sit for the game to start, if you notice some kid will be annoying.
    bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bombHills

Thank you! 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Rowr

most of these are pretty minor issues imo. I doubt they will change the matchmaking system at this point also, so dont get your hopes up.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Rowr said:
    "most of these are pretty minor issues imo. I doubt they will change the matchmaking system at this point also, so dont get your hopes up."
    Although I hate Halo, they have one, if not the best, matchmaking system. It's quick, you can pick what specific game-type you want, people never drop in the lobby, etc. I think you are wrong that they won't change it. I mean in a patch they threw in an entire new mode for the original Gears (Annex). Yes, I said they are minor issues and no don't tell me not to get my hopes up. Cliff B. will polish his game even after it has come out, and add new maps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.