Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Geoff Keighley

Person » credited in 9 games

An industry figure responsible for hosting a number of gaming TV shows, events, and award shows, as well as a freelance journalist most noteworthy for "The Final Hours" series. Keighley currently hosts The Game Awards and the Summer Game Fest.

Geoff Keighley Rips on Interviewer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Oh man that was great. How had I never seen this? +100 respect for Geoff.

@jasonr86 said:

Joe is still pretty new to gaming journalism and has a lot to learn. I think he feels like he's earned the right to certain privileges that he really doesn't have. Unless you're very well known in the industry, most journalists aren't given sit down interviews. The simple fact is that Joe's site doesn't get the traffic sites like ign, giantbomb, and 1up get. Those bigger sites have something to offer in return for a sit down interview; publicity. Joe and his site don't have anything that can compare.

That said, if Joe was promised a sit down interview (as he claims) then he should have been given that interview. I assume Geoff was the one that promised that interview. No matter what field you're in (business or any other field) if you make a promise you need to keep it. If Geoff never planned on give that sit down interview Joe should have known before going to the show. In fact, Joe should have known everything before going to the show. Meaning, he should have known where he was going to be located on the red carpet relative to the other press. He should have been told what to expect. These things would have given Joe realistic expectations about the show rather then letting him think he'll be treated in the way that he apparently thought he would.

Joe was in over his head and Geoff didn't care about the interview. Joe felt provoked and acted poorly. Geoff didn't attend, at all, to the interview unless it was to belittle Joe. Both ended up looking unprofessional to me. Joe needs to learn how to be a professional journalist and interviewer and Geoff needs to learn how to treat everyone as equals as everyone can, eventually, offer something to whatever it is that you're involved in. For Joe, that would have been his fans (regardless of whether or not those fans appear to be a small minority or not). The way that Geoff acted, Joe's fans will probably stay away from anything relating to Geoff like he's the plague. I know that Joe's fans make up a small population but if Geoff were to act this way to enough people with sites like Joe's the viewership of Geoff's projects (be it the VGAs, his site, GTTV) would eventually be hurt (either by not expanding or even losing some of his audience). In the grand scheme of tings, Joe's site and his fans is a small blip on Geoff's radar. But small blips can add up quickly.

lol

Oh Christ. I don't even remember writing this. GODDAMN IT DARTH STOP READING MY OLD SHIT ON THIS SITE!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#402  Edited By Snail

@snail said:

I haven't seen the video, but Snail seems to be increasingly acting like more and more of a dick in recent times.

I suggest you see his interview with Reggie from last E3. What I'm saying isn't false, budster.

Also I still haven't seen the video because a) was on a phone, b) now at a library. Sorry!

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Necrothread, lock this shit.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#405  Edited By Aegon

@snail said:

@grissefar said:

@snail said:

I haven't seen the video, but Snail seems to be increasingly acting like more and more of a dick in recent times.

I suggest you see his interview with Reggie from last E3. What I'm saying isn't false, budster.

Also I still haven't seen the video because a) was on a phone, b) now at a library. Sorry!

His interviews with Reggie are really entertaining. Reggie never fails to get mad.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Geoff should do an interview with Annoyed Gamer. That would be awkward.

Too bad they work for the same site.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#407  Edited By Klei

I know Joe's an angry/immature/annoying lad that nobody likes, but why are you guys even defending Geoff?

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I hate Angry Joe, he's a novelty and has entitlement issues. His whole shtick is just nonstop cynicism and that gets grating really quickly. Journalism should be about information, not bias, he has nothing but bias.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#409  Edited By Humanity

@klei said:

I know Joe's an angry/immature/annoying lad that nobody likes, but why are you guys even defending Geoff?

As stated many times by rational people - probably because Geoff is a pretty knowledgeable guy that is actually really good at his job. You think Keighly is a sellout or a shill? Jeff got fired from Gamespot after 10 years of hard work, building up the sites reputation and becoming an incredibly respected figure in the gaming industry over a review - yet here he is, back at Gamespot, the same people that took a tremendous shit on him all those years ago. It's not because Jeff is a sellout, it's because sometimes certain decisions need to be made and not everyone is going to understand them at face value.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

There was absolutely no purpose in dredging up this thread. I'm going to go ahead and lock this down and remind everyone to not pointlessly dredge up old threads without a purpose. Thank you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.