Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Godzilla

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jul 14, 2015

The king of the monsters battles it out with old friends, enemies, and acquaintances in this arena brawler by Bandai Namco.

Anyone play this yet?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Was hoping to pick up my preorder from bestbuy today, but they said the game wasn't on their truck yesterday. Trying to use that Gamersclub benefit or I would have just gone to gamestop. *grumble grumble*

Anyways, the PS4 version of this game has a good number of extra features absent from the PS3 version. Has anyone tried this out yet? i'm pretty excited.

dagimpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/14/godzilla-the-game-review

4.5 / 10

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Alex Navarro claims it quote: "Fucking sucks"

Also, I watched some footage of the Kaiju fighting and my god, if you don't appreciate lumbering, slow, repetitive combat that is true to the movies, you will hate it. Otherwise, it has a nice roster and some nice models of said roster.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I played the demo of the PS3 version awhile back. It's slow, repetitive, ugly, and also the most faithful Godzilla game ever made. I'd get it in a heartbeat if I owned a PS4, or if the PS3 version wasn't so half-assed.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex Navarro claims it quote: "Fucking sucks"

And now I want to watch Alex play it in a quick look.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looks like crap

AboundingTbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have and I loved it, but I can see why non-kaiju fans wouldn't like it. Also, anyone who complains about graphics on consoles doesn't really have their priorities straightened out. If you want pretty graphics, play video games on a PC.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

Does this look like an iPad game to anyone else? I really wouldn't be surprised if it came out that this was once intended for Android tablets or iPads and then ported over to PS4 instead.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I actually didn't think the footage looked that bad, mostly boring. It's a shame this is turning into a poor release since this seems like a mid-tier kind of game we don't see much of these days.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have and I loved it, but I can see why non-kaiju fans wouldn't like it. Also, anyone who complains about graphics on consoles doesn't really have their priorities straightened out. If you want pretty graphics, play video games on a PC.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. You'd be right if someone were complaining that, for example, the PS4 version of The Witcher 3 doesn't look as good as the PC version. That's an instance where it'd be understandable to tell someone to play games on PC if graphics are that important to them. However, it is reasonable to expect a game released on a specific platform to meet the capabilities of that platform. Someone criticizing a game on PS4 because it looks like an iOS game is more than justified, and telling them to simply get a PC is incredibly insulting.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spent some time on twitch watching game and i've about talked myself out of this purchase. I was looking forward to it and much like Finaldasa I thought the trailers captured the Godzilla aesthetic quite well. I just don't see a 60$ PS4 game here. I'd say this is a game for Godzilla fans but I would hope those fans realize they deserve better. The xbox Godzilla fighting games were pretty well executed. They don't have to just make those again, but it feels like this game had a real lack of direction.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Canteu

I just watched the best friends gameplay of this and holy crap it looks like an up-ressed PS2 game.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

I got this, because I have loved Godzilla games in the past.

Does this game deserve a 4.5 from IGN for poor graphics and repetitive gameplay? Absolutely! However, I do still think it's a fun game, especially if you're a fan of Godzilla movies. The roster is fairly large, with varied environments. The single player is certainly the worst part. You control Godzilla and try to destroy as much as you can. The goal of each level is to specifically blow up generators, but the more you destroy the bigger Godzilla will get. This is fun twice, and then gets super boring.

The part I legitimately enjoy is fighting other monsters. I played the online quite a bit last night. Yes, the monsters are very slow and turning is kind of rough. Other than that it's a super dumbed down fighting game. Triangle can throw and sweep, circle is a blast attack, X is a charge, and square is a basic three hit combo. You can also collect parts from the single player to upgrade the monsters abilities and get more moves.

Biolante is god tier.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think of it more as a Godzilla simulator than a Godzilla fighting game it makes a lot more sense, this is more in line with something like Robot Alchemic Drive than say War of the Monsters, that being said if you enjoy that kind of game then this might be for you!

pirateogta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This game is currently sitting at a 36 on Metacritic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By deerokus

Jim Sterling did a video. Genuinely looks like it could be an unpublished Dreamcast game they found on an old hard drive and just put out after finishing it off a bit and cranking the resolution up.

Loading Video...

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a good Godzilla game, but I'm not sure exactly what that even looks like.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As much as I love Godzilla I don't know if I can justify full price for this.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It looks like the sort of game I'll play for and hour after it's released on PS Plus. It looks clunky, slow and repetitive. The premise is one that I want see done right.... but this game doesn't seem remotely close.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've played it for about two hours. It's not good. Controllers are strange, the combat is terribly unsatisfying and the whole game feels very half-baked. Even if you're a die-hard Godzilla fan, I would not recommend getting this at full price. Better off spending your money on the likes of War of the Monsters. They don't even look that different graphically.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game reminds me of that Gundam Crossfire game for PS3 - it somewhat looks the part in still photos, but is not even really in the so-bad-it's-good camp.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.