Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

I bought GT5 today and put it into my console to play 1 hour ago.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HerbieBug

2200 mb mandatory install

6 patches to download and install totaling about 1gb. One of those is a 400+mb whopper! 0__o

All that done, I boot the game and it strongly recommends a further 10gb install to the HD right away. And that is in progess now.

Haven't played a game this crazy on updates since Little Big Planet.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By killacam

ah yes. ambiguous "console" is infamous for this.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT5 has the biggest install and patches on the PS3, I believe. Well worth it though, the game's a monster and the patches really improved it. 

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MistaSparkle

You should just pick up Trackmania 2. It's essentially the same game.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HerbieBug

:D

It's plugging along at about 35% now!

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RazielCuts

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Well worth it though, the game's a monster and the patches really improved it.

Yeah wasn't there a massive patch that was basically like a big free expansion of sorts that changed the game majorly for the better? Patches like that I wonder if reviewers should go back and do a post-review with the updates for people reading the review in the modern day.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7

It's so worth it. They released a patch that essentially overhauled the entire game. I don't remember the details but the v2 update was a pretty big deal in terms of actually adding shit to the game instead of fixing shit, which is what most patches usually do.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Yeh, I just got a PS3 finally to play MGS4 and GT5 and its totally worth the wait. The game feels smooth, intuitive and just looks lovely. The licences and progression are wonderfully involving as well.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@MistaSparkle said:

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HerbieBug

3 seconds remaining!!!!! 0__0

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HerbieBug

Holy crap the menus is this are funky. Can't say as I understand the "logic" there. Enter race -> car not eligible -> show list of eligible cars BUT no direct link to car purchasing area to buy one. That's iffy. Forza 4 kinda fucked this up too as I recall.

Driving mechanics are top notch of course. :)

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero

Did you buy the re-release with all the patches on disc and a voucher for most of the DLC?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HerbieBug

yep. Patches were not on disc though.

zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zonikjj

Yeah, those crazy download times and install times are a bit of a bummer.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox
    @killacam said:

ah yes. ambiguous "console" is infamous for this.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theveej

anyone knows why the ps3 fails so hard with downloading/installing ? I have never really had any problems with my launch 360, but that god damn ps3 just sucks your soul every once in a while when it comes to installing or downloading stuff.

Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazielCuts said:

Yeah wasn't there a massive patch that was basically like a big free expansion of sorts that changed the game majorly for the better? Patches like that I wonder if reviewers should go back and do a post-review with the updates for people reading the review in the modern day.

You're probably thinking of the spec 2.0 update. They added tons of stuff:  http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/spec2/  
    And yes it is quite a different game from launch, the initial reviews are pretty much redundant in the same way MMO reviews are. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@MistaSparkle said:

Trackmania is better, because dubstep.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Bollard

@HerbieBug: I wish I could download 3 gig in an hour :(

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mikey87144

@HerbieBug: Give me your PSN ID and I can let you borrow a couple of cars to start out with in the A Spec career mode. I also strongly recommend you do the license tests for cars and also do the seasonal events in a couple of days. By then you'll earn experience at 200% and the seasonal races give out a ton of xp.

@zudthespud said:

@MistaSparkle said:

Trackmania is better, because dubstep.

You can put dubstep in GT5 so GT5 takes the lead again.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Insert Disc to start game: 9 hours for me. Shitty connection!

conantheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By conantheking

@HerbieBug: I only played the game once because of this. I got it, might just have to leave it on overnight because I really want to play it with the online features.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By AlexW00d
    @theveej

anyone knows why the ps3 fails so hard with downloading/installing ? I have never really had any problems with my launch 360, but that god damn ps3 just sucks your soul every once in a while when it comes to installing or downloading stuff.

It doesn't fail really, you just have shit internet. It takes me no time at all to download stuff on my PS3.
    HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HerbieBug

@mikey87144 said:

@HerbieBug: Give me your PSN ID and I can let you borrow a couple of cars to start out with in the A Spec career mode. I also strongly recommend you do the license tests for cars and also do the seasonal events in a couple of days. By then you'll earn experience at 200% and the seasonal races give out a ton of xp.

Thanks! But no need. I have the DLC cars loaded on and have been avoiding using them as I don't want to cheat. The only issue I currently have with car eligibility is cars to use in the classic series (pre-1979). Have had to dip into the "used car" section with fingers crossed and hope for the best. Funny story about that; I bought an old Nissan from the used cars and when I drove it the check oil light was on. That's.... that's really awesome. Okay GT5, you sold me on the values of the silly used car section. haha. :D

@AlexW00d said:

@theveej

It doesn't fail really, you just have shit internet. It takes me no time at all to download stuff on my PS3.

Download times on PSN were acceptable for me. It's the installing part that is excessive.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By psylah

I had restarted playing through GT5, and the Toyota GT86 they gave everyone in a patch for free is a real ringer. Won every eligible race with it. It's definitely tarted-up in game compared to the actual car, it certainly doesn't accelerate this quickly.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Grissefar

@RazielCuts said:

You're probably thinking of the spec 2.0 update. They added tons of stuff: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/spec2/ And yes it is quite a different game from launch, the initial reviews are pretty much redundant in the same way MMO reviews are.

While that's a long list, it's hardly anything of significance, except for the online stuff. It doesn't fix what was fucked up to begin with such as grinding to progress, long ass load times, terrible AI, broken B-spec and the ability to use enter your X2010 in a volkswagen race. And those are just from the top of my head.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikey87144

@psylah said:

I had restarted playing through GT5, and the Toyota GT86 they gave everyone in a patch for free is a real ringer. Won every eligible race with it. It's definitely tarted-up in game compared to the actual car, it certainly doesn't accelerate this quickly.

It revs slightly higher than the real one I think.

Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar said:

@RazielCuts said:

You're probably thinking of the spec 2.0 update. They added tons of stuff: http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/spec2/ And yes it is quite a different game from launch, the initial reviews are pretty much redundant in the same way MMO reviews are.

While that's a long list, it's hardly anything of significance, except for the online stuff. It doesn't fix what was fucked up to begin with such as grinding to progress, long ass load times, terrible AI, broken B-spec and the ability to use enter your X2010 in a volkswagen race. And those are just from the top of my head.

Take your pick....

CTS_1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CTS_1987

@ZOnikJJ: yes very much a BIG bummer

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By N7
    @Vegetable_Side_Dish: Jesus. I'm surprised some of those patches weren't DLC!
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Grissefar

@Grissefar said:

@RazielCuts said:

Take your pick....

vde
    GT5 Updates
    Spec 1.0
    Spec 2.0

How many of these fix the issues I mentioned?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By mike

I had a similar experience when I decided to pop in GT5 last night after not playing it since launch. I never got to play...the incremental updates and archaic way the PS3 handles updates is a downright terrible user experience. The PS3 does some things right, but updates and installations certainly aren't part of that list. I gave up after about an hour and went back to my PC instead.

Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar said:

@Grissefar said: 

Take your pick....

vde

GT5 Updates
    Spec 1.0v1.01·v1.02·v1.03·v1.05·v1.06·v1.07·v1.08·v1.09·v1.10·v1.11·v1.12·v1.13
    Spec 2.0v2.00·v2.01·v2.02·v2.03·v2.04·v2.05·v2.06

How many of these fix the issues I mentioned?

http://www.mygranturismo.net/patchnotes.php < This is only up to v2.01 but has all the text in one place.  ctrl+f for AI has:  

- In the Arcade Settings of [Options], AI Car Characteristics settings has been added. You can now change the aggressiveness of the AI against you in Arcade races.   

- Improved Opponent AI Algorithm 
      The search range of opponent AI has been expanded, and their intelligence algorithm has been improved.   

[AI Adjustment] 
      - Race choreography and opponent car AI controls for licence tests and A Spec events have been adjusted. 
     - Opponent car AI controls during B Spec races have been improved.  
    - The evasive manoeuvres of opponent cars when a players car blocks the track has been improved.    

And there are a few B spec things as well. And in the case of grinding, there have been a ton of increases to money gained per race. ctrl+f experience on that page if you want to check them out. 
    irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By irrelevantjohn

@MB: Yeah it struck me how odd they handle the updates. Some of the updates are actually just DLC content forced in. If you go buy DLC from the PSN Store they are only 110kb download in size.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By theveej

@AlexW00d said:

@theveej

well my internet is not the greatest, but I download content (movies,games,music) fairly fast on my PC and 360; however sometimes with game updates and download the ps3 just chokes hard. So in terms of relativity to my 360 and PC and with the same internet, the ps3 i had failed hard at downloading/installing stuff.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HerbieBug

Okay,  I gave this game an honest chance.  The verdict is:  it's bad.  A good driving mechanic cannot save an otherwise atrocious design.  Bad choices in the menus everywhere.  Why does it always default TCS to 5 and ABS to 1 every time you switch cars or enter a new event?  Why does the cursor default to "start race" after you have completed the race?  Why doesn't the eligible vehicle list provide a quick way to go and purchase one of those cars?  Say you know which car you want, and you have the money, but the car isn't sold in the "dealership" section because it's a non-premium car, and therefore can only be purchased through "used" section, which is randomly generated.  You want the car, you have money, THE GAME WON'T LET YOU HAVE IT.  Why are upgrades so expensive?  Why are the loading times so bad?  Why do some parts of this game look like PS1 era?  Why does the game insist on making it so hard to just get an eligible car, load up a race, and go?

That's it.  I'm done with this.  Back to Forza 4 to keep chipping away at the Bucket List achievement.  

Fuck.  :(

And you say this is much better than launch?  How bad was launch???

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#37  Edited By Svenzon

I got the idea a while ago that I should give GT5 another chance. Since I rarely start my PS3 up, I'm always ready for a bunch of downloads. I started preparing for it by downloading all patches and installing them before I went to bed. The next day, I popped the disc back in and... another 2GB patch. At that point I decided it wasn't worth my time, no matter how much they've improved the physics. Patching stuff on the PS3 is a goddamn nightmare.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rmills87

@MistaSparkle said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I think I just peed a little!

djslackerjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By djslackerjr

I remember when I had gotten home and want nothing more to play this, sure enough there was an hour or two delay with all of the installing and everything. I come to expect that with PS3 games. Take it home and wait before actually getting to the fun part of it. This is just one of the many ways Xbox seems to have PS3 beat.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ya did this today 2 hours later im good to go.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.