Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo Sport

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 17, 2017

Polyphony Digital's driving simulator comes to PlayStation 4 with a strong focus on competitive online multiplayer.

Once more, a Gran Turismo game has been delayed

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

Gran Turismo Sport has been delayed to 2017 from it's original release date of November 15 2016. I'm sure everyone is surprised.

Source: PlayStation Blog

EDIT: Thanks to @vg132 for correcting me on my confusion surrounding the announcement and supposed release dates.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

They should really send a few intern/spies into Turn 10 to figure out how they don't take 8 years to make one driving game.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So basic gran turismo stuff?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Maybe they can use the time to include more than ten cars?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Let's just give up on making car games, Sony. It's not your jam anymore.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Good Lord. This isn't even a full-fledged Gran Turismo game, either. After the #DRIVECLUB debacle, Sony owes their users a good driving game and should be lighting a fire under Polyphony's ass. I'd be furious if I only owned a PS4 and had to watch MS churn out quality Forza titles on a yearly basis while the genre is virtually nonexistent on PS4 and no one in charge seems to care. I'm not even trying to go console war here; I'm legitimately upset for the PS4 crowd. This shit is unacceptable. Polyphony needs to seriously re-examine their processes. WTF are they actually doing that takes the better part of a decade?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: It would certainly be an interesting situation without the likes of Project CARS and Asetto Corsa.

Pixelrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pixelrat

@notnert427: Saying Sony "owes" their fan base something is a bit silly. They don't owe anyone anything. PS4's continue to sell like crazy, and Sony has nothing but a track record of consistent delays over and over and over. Their last two holiday seasons have been empty because of this. The consumer is just reinforcing this, it won't change until it actually makes a difference.

If it is shocking that GT Sport has been delayed, or if this is the one that has finally upset you then you just simply haven't been paying attention. As an owner of both consoles, the leadership of Sony lately and the decisions made now that they are so far out in front are smelling of that "old sony" again. I just don't think they really care, they are raking in money hand over fist, GT could disappear from the calendar completely and it wouldn't matter. I'd be curious to see what the comparison is like between the GT and Forza budget vs. what they make. From an outside perspective it seems most internal Sony development is just disorganized from top to bottom, but I'm not there, I don't know.

I love GT, but Sport looks about as underwhelming as you can get. I wish they'd take the time and effort to make that series into something special like it used to be. I put hundreds of hours in GT3 and GT4, but they have been just treading water since the first game on PS3. I'll be playing Horizon 3 this fall for all of my car fun.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, from what I heard the game was practically unplayable due to bad framerate at gamescom.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played a GT game in awhile, but are they actually still better than the Forza games? Forza comes out regularly, and is generally good (I know 5 was a misstep, but 6 seems well received and I love the Horizon sub-series) but Gran Turismo has a certain mystique about it, perhaps dating back to the early days when there was nothing like it on console. However, I feel like over time Forza caught up with and perhaps surpassed GT and now it's just kind of embarrassing for Sony to be putting out this "Sport" version (for quite a bit of money, and treating it as a major release) and acting like GT is still the absolute king and a once in a generation event while Forza continues to hum along like a well-oiled machine (pun intended.)

Can anyone who is a fan of both series shed any light? Are people expecting Gran Turismo 7 to be this huge revelation that blows everything else out of the water and makes both the selling of a glorified demo and the non-stop delays seem worth it?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

Can't wait for Horizon 3 amirite?

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was the game confirmed for october of last year? It was anounced in october 2015 and a beta was confirmed for early 2016 but was later scraped. I see one delay, this one.

It's always fun to have the game but if it needs more time then it's better to wait.

/Viktor

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelrat said:

@notnert427: Saying Sony "owes" their fan base something is a bit silly. They don't owe anyone anything. PS4's continue to sell like crazy, and Sony has nothing but a track record of consistent delays over and over and over. Their last two holiday seasons have been empty because of this. The consumer is just reinforcing this, it won't change until it actually makes a difference.

If it is shocking that GT Sport has been delayed, or if this is the one that has finally upset you then you just simply haven't been paying attention. As an owner of both consoles, the leadership of Sony lately and the decisions made now that they are so far out in front are smelling of that "old sony" again. I just don't think they really care, they are raking in money hand over fist, GT could disappear from the calendar completely and it wouldn't matter. I'd be curious to see what the comparison is like between the GT and Forza budget vs. what they make. From an outside perspective it seems most internal Sony development is just disorganized from top to bottom, but I'm not there, I don't know.

I love GT, but Sport looks about as underwhelming as you can get. I wish they'd take the time and effort to make that series into something special like it used to be. I put hundreds of hours in GT3 and GT4, but they have been just treading water since the first game on PS3. I'll be playing Horizon 3 this fall for all of my car fun.

The Gran Turismo series has been the first-party franchise for Sony. Even for people who don't give a shit about racing games, it's a big deal (or at least should be) for the console on the whole. That updated Playstation consoles will apparently hit the market before even a half-assed GT game will is insane. The closest thing to a first-party racer the PS4 has had is #DRIVECLUB, which was a game so broken/flawed even after multiple delays that it literally closed a studio. (I'm aware that it eventually improved, but the tire fire process and ultimate result is impossible to ignore.) I imagine many Playstation gamers consider past GT games as at least part of the reason they aligned with Sony, so, yeah, I think they are owed a proper GT game, which GT Sport doesn't even sound like, in addition to seemingly not being close to done. That is an absolute disservice to their users.

And no, this sadly isn't shocking. I loved GT3 (and GT4), but PD and Sony lost me with the GT5 Prologue crap long ago. It's the main reason I switched sides. That Sony has the ability to not care because they're selling PS4s anyway does not make it okay. The third-party offerings haven't been great this gen, either. Arguably the best has been Project CARS, which is too much of a sim for many, has a limited car list, and has had some serious bug issues. The Crew was crap. NFS Rivals was mediocre at best. Assetto Corsa is presently releasing on consoles to middling reviews. Leaning on third-party offerings is pretty weak regardless of quality, but there's a pretty good argument that a large void still exists here which Sony doesn't appear remotely interested in filling.

I'm with you on Horizon 3, but I fear that if GT goes any more by the wayside than it already is, the Forza games will eventually dip in quality because they can, much like the rationale Sony seems to have for not putting the screws to PD as they clearly should and/or coming up with a viable alternate offering because they're selling PS4s. Selfishly, I want the competition to keep pushing the Forza teams, but I seriously feel for the PS4 guys as well. Is GT7 even planned at this point? It seems like PD is basically trying to now paint Sport as GT7 (despite outright saying it wasn't previously), which tells me that given their development cycles, the earliest a full GT title will see the light of day is 2020. Even that seems to be extremely optimistic, because it assumes Sport won't be pushed back even further and that they'll stay on course with its successor, neither of which seem like good bets. This whole situation is some real bullshit.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By isomeri

@vg132 said:

When was the game confirmed for october of last year? It was anounced in october 2015 and a beta was confirmed for early 2016 but was later scraped. I see one delay, this one.

It's always fun to have the game but if it needs more time then it's better to wait.

/Viktor

I'm sorry, you're right. I totally misread an article pertaining to this. Edited the first post and title accordingly.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone who is a fan of both series shed any light? Are people expecting Gran Turismo 7 to be this huge revelation that blows everything else out of the water and makes both the selling of a glorified demo and the non-stop delays seem worth it?

I think some people are wanting a new GT, but I don't think people think its some revelation of a game. What game is these days? The people that want GT are people that wants a precise racing game, a lot like iracing on PC. While Forza is a good game, its still a video game, it feels like a video game. GT players want that accuracy, they want that precision that makes them feel like they can make that time on the real track. GT does this pretty decent. Real drivers have came out of GT 5 and 6 and have actually pulled out some pretty decent drivers from GT Academy (A GT Academy driver won 12 hours of Bathurst last year). GT Academy even has a race team in the Blancpain GT Series, and that's not the only racing team they have. This is why people who want GT, wants it. They want that "dream" of becoming a race car driver.

GT is more than a game, and while PD does need to get on the ball in making it on a release window, they do have a lot of pressure in making it more than just a game, but a platform that can give you the best simulator for racing.

GT has a lot on its plate, a lot more than Forza does. And you got to look at all of it to explain maybe why PD is at the position its in with the release of the game. They HAVE to get it right. And people can't blame Sony for this because I guarantee they are as unhappy as everyone else is once they have sponsors complaining on the delay.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Probably trying to take advantage of a bunch of Neo features. Especially if some of the builds were struggling with framerate. But geez, they really need to figure out how to come out with more than one game a generation. It's just sad at this point.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon 3 went gold today, which will be the 4th major Forza game on the X1. PD really need to learn how to actually ship a game

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I bet it comes out September 15, 2017, with Forza Motorsport 7 on the same day. The fact that this is not GT7, means alot.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't be a Gran Turismo game without a delay or seven.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@bigsocrates said:

I haven't played a GT game in awhile, but are they actually still better than the Forza games?

I'd say different, but not necessarily better or worse. GT tends to be a much bigger and all encompassing package in terms of the varieties of motorsport it tries to include. GT tries to do everything, and fans of GT have come to expect it to do everything.

Forza Motorsport doesn't try to do quite as much, but it still does its thing very well and on a regular basis while also having a second franchise, Forza Horizon, to deliver some alternative experiences and fill in some of the gaps.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thread reminds me i should pick up Forza Horizon 2 again. what a game.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This one smells fishy to me, that came isn't far off in the grand scheme of things. It was only two and half months away. I had high hopes for it and now I'm not so sure what to expect. A lot of video got out for that game during and after E3 and a lot of the youtube enthusiast crowd had good things to say about it on many fronts. I haven't been around too long to see the massive delays that this series is known for but I do remember the one for GT4 or whatever the one for PS3 was that had to have Prologue released and that only seemed to piss people off. Missing release dates is a big deal, for most projects, not just games. I can't help but feel a little worried this thing slipped so close to release. That usually happens when something is so messed up it would take months to fix or they're adding something so important and last minute that it's worth pushing the advertised date.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look. I know that making games is really REALLY hard, but man what is going on with the GT series?

It just blows my mind that Turn 10 has managed to release 6 core Forza games and damn near 3 Horizon games, plus a silly little Fast and Furious thing since 2005. And they've all been extremely solid!

I loved GT3 a whole lot. GT4 was pretty good and pushed the PS2 hardware. Prologue was always an insult. No way could GT5 live up to the hype after years of delays. And GT6 just seemed like an "oh crap, it took us forever to build this engine and the generation is almost over, better whip something up really quick" type of game.

Now, if i'm not mistaken this is GT Sports first delay? So, it's not all doom and gloom yet. But damn, even though I'm a Forza fan, I still want to see the GT series do good. GT fans deserve it.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony is apparently now cancelling and refunding pre-orders of this game. That's a really bad sign. It sounds like they're about to just abandon this entirely and just try and make it into GT7 somewhere way down the road, which is what they probably should do at this point. If they're going to still try to sell GT Sport, which by every indication sounds like it won't hit shelves until Holiday 2017 in the best-case scenario, it could very well be the end of one of gaming's great franchises. This shit is ridiculous. I'm livid about it, and it doesn't even affect me as much as PS4 owners. IMO, the only way this situation can be salvaged is if Sony releases this as a free demo early next year and announces the cancellation of the "Sport" title, stating outright that it will instead be expanded upon to be a full GT7 title that will have a FIRM worldwide release date in late 2017.

With Horizon 3 about to drop on PC to potentially grab a big new audience for the Forza franchise beyond the Xbox community (and Forza 7, which is near-certain to hit the market around this time next year), there might not be much of a fanbase left for Gran Turismo by the time the next game sees the light of day. Sony and PD need to proactively address this publicly now, and they need to come up with something good for PS4 gamers to play by Holiday 2017. If two more Forza games beat them to market and keep up their typical quality in addition to capturing the PC market, the Gran Turismo franchise is done, and honestly, will deserve to be.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm pretty bummed about this. DiRT Rally and Project CARS are nice racing games but a game with street cars that one can build up is something different from these. Forza games were one of the most enjoyable things on Xbox and I spent hours upon hours on those just building stupid cars.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WynnDuffy

It has never been a better time to not own a PlayStation.

The lack of exclusives this fall is shocking, I say the above comment with only an ounce of seriousness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.