Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

An Admission: Finally beat GTA IV

Avatar image for anthony_gamer20
    Anthony_Gamer20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Anthony_Gamer20

I originally posted this in General Discussion and realized it should be here:

Yes, I have beaten this game much later than I wish to admit, but I've been busy with the rest of my backlog. I got through about half of it and took a long break before returning it. Overall, I thought it was quite good, though I grew tired of it for a large percentage of the middle of the game. The story and missions just dragged their feet for a long time, becoming quite mediocre and repetitive. Things really ramped up in the end though, with much more interesting missions and story progression. I wasn't quite as shocked with what happened at the end at Roman's wedding as my roommate was, mostly because I hadn't built much of a relationship with the character involved in that part (avoiding spoilers).

My biggest problem with the game was how bloated it was with chase mission after chase mission. GTA IV's missions were mostly built upon two different scenarios:

• Go into a deal which goes wrong and you have to fight your way out

and/or
    • Chase some guy down.

If there were more mission variety, then I would rank GTA IV higher in my list of all-time favorites. It's still a hell of a lot of fun, and now I can just blow things up. My favorite things to do are jump in the ridiculously fast car you get from the politician (the name of the car escapes me as I write this), punch gas and collide with an oncoming car and killing the other driver.

I remember once, I crashed head first into a taxi at full speed and not only did I kill the driver, but I killed the passenger in the back as well. I jumped into the taxi and drove with the body in the back for about a half hour doing various errands. It was very Weekend at Bernie-ish lol.

Any other retrospective thoughts on GTA IV (even though that's the point of this board, lol)?
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

Its called Grand Theft Auto for a reason. I think too many people have been spoiled by the earlier games focusing more on action shooting, but hey that's just me.

I felt like they purposely gimped the game. There are a lot of things and a lot of mission types that could have been added, but I feel like they're saving that stuff either for DLC or for the next expansion like Vice City and San Andreas.

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DeadlyPain
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game's campaign, which usually gets fellated by critics, does have a really lumbering, clunky sort of pace during the halfway--to--four-fifths mark.  Rockstar did baby the same mission structure, and it does get repetitive. 

It has other merits, though.  I, personally, think the game plays rather well, and it isn't too buggy.  Though the driving mechanic bears a pretty steep learning curve, and the cover system can be wonky at times, I do have a lot of fun tearing apart the pedestrian community of Liberty City.  That alone, however, does not keep my attention in a firm hold, and the longer I play Grand Theft Auto IV, the more I catch myself drifting out of the immersion.

xil3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xil3

my admission is that I STILL havn't beat GTA
    I know I suck.

There was a time where I had trouble getting into it because I was so busy but now that I'm back int he flow, I freaking Love IT!!
    I know it's old news now but yea.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By ManMadeGod

I have not beaten GTA yet as well. The game flat out sucks, is boring and not fun. The missions in this series have been the same since GTA3. Go kill this guy. O look he's running away chase him! Ok nice job, now go do it 40 more times. Yea, funny how a brand name can get a game such high markings around the Internet.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Illmatic

My admission is that I sold the game a few weeks after I beat it. I still loved the game, but doing random things just wasn't as fun as doing them in San Andreas and Vice City. Maybe cause the crazy activities were toned down to make the world of Liberty City more real. The chase scenes did get really repetitive but the one chase where you ride after this biker on your own bike through the train tracks was completely awesome. Weaving through passing trains and making it to the ledge just before a train passed by was awesome.

Avatar image for anthony_gamer20
    Anthony_Gamer20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Anthony_Gamer20
    ManMadeGod said:
    "Yea, funny how a brand name can get a game such high markings around the Internet."
    It's a tough position to be in. I posted this in another thread on the GTA board, but I think it rings true in response to this. In many ways, I'm glad I wasn't tasked with reviewing GTA IV.

The problem with reviewing a GTA game fairly, is that you just don't have enough time with it when you do a review by release date. GTA is one of those games that does so many things jaw-droppingly well from the jump, especially on the presentation front, that you have a hard time seeing through it all and seeing all of the problems with the game.

There are sometimes features that are at first pretty cool but become annoying after a while. For me, that was the whole sense of "social" in GTA IV, with having the ability to call up friends and go out. It was pretty damn cool at first, and an interesting mechanic, but after a while I found myself just declining to go out because I wanted to do something else like push through the story.

There were also the dramatically improved visuals, the real feeling of "life" in the city that up to this point had not been successfully pulled off in any game, and the great physics that allowed for some crazy things to happen such as my taxi story in the original post.

The thing I've noticed with all GTA's is that they're great for the first week, and then you really start to notice its flaws. It's almost akin to finding someone more attractive when you're drunk.
    Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By killer_meatballs

I just finished the game yesterday.   I took time off from playing when MGS4 came out.  And there were a few times when I got frustrated and stopped playing for a couple of days.
    I loved the game, but will admit (please don't flame too much) i did cheat.
    I'm not great at games, so I need some help.

Not sure if I'll play through again for the second ending though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.