Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

Anybody still play GTAIV?

• 129 results
    narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By narley

I havent even played the game. I know that blows, but if all goes acording to plan, I'll get my ps3 today and then I'll get gt4 somewhere else

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Karmum

Not really, last time I played it was getting all of the achievements in L&D. I need to get around to beating the game for a second time, to get some achievements I can't get in my current saved file. I will come back for the second DLC, too.

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By DavidSnakes
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I totally still play it. It's been probably a month since the last time, but I'm still kind of swamped in new games to play. I still think GTAIV is the best game I've played this gen, by far. "
    Pretty much completely onboard with this statement.  I can't think of any game this gen that even approaches GTA4.  It's in the top 3 best games ever.
    DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By DavidSnakes
    @Drebin_893 said:
    " I dislike GTA IV. I've completed it twice and I regret having wasted my time. "

Huh?  You completed it a second time just to be sure you dislike the game?  That makes zero sense.
    Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55  Edited By Th3_James

i play it online with my friends, i have it on both ps3 and 360. i LOVE that game

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

Thankyou all for your input on this, it seems this particular instalment in the franchise is somewhat of an enigma, with many people including myself not being able to 'put a finger on' what it is specifically that just makes us never want to play this ever again. 

Zinc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zinc

I usually play GTA IV when I'm listening to a podcast.  The Bombcast is much better when you're shooting dudes.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Philantrophy

I need to finish Lost & the damned....

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @Zinc said:
    " I usually play GTA IV when I'm listening to a podcast.  The Bombcast is much better when you're shooting dudes. "
    AMEN brutha!!!! 
    dr_zox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dr_zox

I'm going to be a complete heretic here and say

GTA Vice city was the single best GTA out of all of them

it was just soo fun, And GTA IV was an improvement, with graphics and gameplay and everything, however it just wasn't as fun as Vice City.  and even though the DLC added a new twist it was just more of the same

I am playing prototype at the moment and I am finding it more fun then when I played GTA4, I think they lost the fun aspect. Not that I didn't enjoy it but I did feel that something was missing

Prototype and vice city have a couple of things over GTA4 which made it fun for me

- Fast travel, It is always easy and fast to travel to each location. with the realistic streets in GTA4, It takes a long while to travel
    - Fun Travel, Traveling in prototype and GTA VC is alot more fun.
    - Overall arcade feel
    - Upgrades that make your character stronger or give him new abilitys, weapons
    - Vice city only - making business's and collecting money from them
    - A feeling that you want to really explore the city
    -combat is fun

so thats not all the reasons, but just what I think I like more about prototype

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By dsplayer1010
    Occasionally

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @dr_zox said:
    " I'm going to be a complete heretic here and sayGTA Vice city was the single best GTA out of all of themit was just soo fun, And GTA IV was an improvement, with graphics and gameplay and everything, however it just wasn't as fun as Vice City.  and even though the DLC added a new twist it was just more of the sameI am playing prototype at the moment and I am finding it more fun then when I played GTA4, I think they lost the fun aspect. Not that I didn't enjoy it but I did feel that something was missingPrototype and vice city have a couple of things over GTA4 which made it fun for me- Fast travel, It is always easy and fast to travel to each location. with the realistic streets in GTA4, It takes a long while to travel- Fun Travel, Traveling in prototype and GTA VC is alot more fun.- Overall arcade feel- Upgrades that make your character stronger or give him new abilitys, weapons- Vice city only - making business's and collecting money from them- A feeling that you want to really explore the city-combat is funso thats not all the reasons, but just what I think I like more about prototype "
    Yeah definately mate, in th old GTA's it kinda just hit you in the face with how much fun you were having and GOING to have, and same wit Prototype, however in IV it doesnt seem like anything is appealing, @ least to me and a couple others
    Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Kouerson

I traded it in a while back after beating it, GTA IV was a huge disappointment in my eyes compared to the other games in the franchise. Hopefully they actually make GTA V a fun game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#64  Edited By Yummylee

Until The Ballad of Gay Tony thats staying on the shelf for me i'm afraid.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#65  Edited By skywing

i own a ps3 so i played it when it first came out

since i beat it there hasn't been much of a reason to take it out again; the multiplayer was ok i guess.
    but i did like the single player alot.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By kmdrkul

Truly believe that GTAIV is an epic game.  Think last time I played it said I invested 46 hours into the game... not quite sure how, but it makes sense since I loved just driving around the city; that in itself was just an awesome experience.  I loved all the characters and the thought the story was fantastic, including the ending.  Currently, other, newer games are occupying my time...

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Kr3lian

I like GTA4 but, honestly, I thought Chinatown Wars was more fun.  Also, probably because I play the PS3 port, but possibly because the game is just like this...the game chugs and has crappy framerate.  Going from Burnout: Paradise to GTA4 in a single play session is really, really sad.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#68  Edited By MKHavoc

Nah, I haven't played it since I finished TLAD, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it.  I'm not sure what more you want though.  The game is easily 30 hours long plus the 8 hours from TLAD and don't forget about the Ballad of Gay Tony that's coming out soon.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#69  Edited By matthew

I actually just beat it about three weeks ago for the first and (most likely) only time.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I still havent finished the main story :/

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " I still havent finished the main story :/ "
    I only got th *SPOILERS* ending where Roman lives, and really couldnt b bothered to go back through again for th Kate ending. Th only mission that was memorable was the bank robbery I thought. I know it was hard but also hella intense.
    monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By monkey523

The only time I still play it is when I'm bored and/or drunk with friends over.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Illmatic

Nope, beat the game, messed around for a week or so and returned it. Story and atmosphere wise it was an awesome game but didn't have the "stay and just mess around" power that San Andreas had on me.

6n00bkilla9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By 6n00bkilla9
    @BigBoss1911:
    yep.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By aaox

A lot of my friends play it reguarly.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CL60

yes

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Civraz

Funny this should pop up. I was  working ona playthrough of the story this afternoon.  Just for kicks i guess, I quite enjoy playing it. Haven't beat the DLC yet, though...

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#78  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I've gone back and played it a couple times after finishing the story, but honestly, the story is really the only thing that kept me hooked about the game. I find that I can't stay hooked on open-world games after I've finished the story unless they're RPGs. The only action game with an open-world that I played extensively post story is Jak 2, and I guess inFamous if you count finding blast shards and replaying on evil.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By Adamantium

Yup. GTA IV rocks, IMO. The realism (especially when it comes to driving the cars) is a big reason why I enjoy it still. It may be tougher driving in Liberty City this time around, but that makes it more rewarding and enjoyable. To offset that, the targetting system makes combat smoother and LOTS more enjoyable, especially the way the toons ragdoll. I'll be playing it til GTA V comes out, in between playthroughs of newer games (inFamous is eating up my free time right now).

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Kouerson said:
    " I traded it in a while back after beating it, GTA IV was a huge disappointment in my eyes compared to the other games in the franchise. Hopefully they actually make GTA V a fun game. "
    I for one do still play, but I am still working through the story line.  I actually do like 3-4 missions a week.  I have always liked taking like a year or whatever to go through my GTA games.

Anyways, yes, this one was a bit of a let down due to it really being the same game as III, VC and SA but "trying" to have a more serious tone which just didn't seem to work.  They tried changing but it still felt like a lot like what I have done before and the new experience that they brought to it felt too drawn out and seems longer than it should be.  FYI, I am like 10 missions from the end of the game right now so I have a pretty good idea of what the game has to offer to this point.
    euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By euge

I spent a lot of time driving around in the other iterations of GTA and had immense amount of fun finding the jumps and even went as far as buying a guide in order to find the collectibles locations so that I could complete the game. With IV, once I completed the story I turned it off and never played it again. I didn't even spend time exploring the city, I just completed the missions as if that was all there was to the game.

I think it would be interesting to find the opinions of people that hadn't played the other games yet and this was there first adventure into gta. Maybe that would answer the question of whether we are bored of GTA open worldness due to excessive amountas of it or because this version didn't cut the mustard. I have a funny feeling that it's the latter as I never felt immersed in this game and I hated Brucie, too annoying for words.

SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By SoftCoreDave

I keep meaning to get the DLC but have just not got round to it yet, i just does not have the same appeal as it used to.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By The_A_Drain

Why would I go back to it? Until the DLC drops in price i've no reason to look at it for now, i'll get the remaining achieves sometime later but the fucking bugged car flip achieve made me so angry I shelved it and never intend to play it again.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By Bigandtasty
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Bigandtasty said:
    "@The_A_Drain:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8sROYxAAbA"

I've seen that video a million times and so has the rest of the internet, don't even get me started on that achievement you don't want me to go on a rant.

The short of the long is that it is bugged, I spent literally 5 straight hours trying to get the thing on more than one occasion, each time failing, using every different method I could find across the internet and some I came up with myself, i've counted and the biggest one I ever had was like 9 flips, it simply refuses to unlock no matter what I do.

Edit: Oh that vid, no, I refuse to use cheats, end of the matter.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By pause422

I stopped playing GTAIV a few weeks after it came out, and I've never wanted to go back to it ever.

ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I thank all of you for your input, this game seems 2 divide people, you either played it and wanna go back for more, or you dont, simple as.

Those of us that arent bothered about going back have done so for the DLC and then gave up again!
    Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Expletive

i go back occasionally, usually when listening to the bombcast 

hazzard4123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By hazzard4123

I stopped playing everyday after I beat it (Achivement date May 12, 2008) But I still occasionly fuck around in single or multi-player. I never started another save game. Didn't bother with DLC. On 360 Voice it's my #2 Most played game next to Rock Band 2.

pgchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By pgchimp

I still play it occassionally, but now that I've beaten the story there isn't anything interesting to do and it gets boring really fast.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By killdave

Played it for 30-40 mins of the DLC yesterday then started to murder everyone and realised it wasnt as much fun as prototype so turned it back off again

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By hockeymask27

yep trying to beat it  for the 5th time.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I haven't picked it up since after I beat is almost a year ago, maybe more? At this point I can't even remember how long ago it was.  With that being said, I popped it in yesterday to finally play TLAD and so far I'm enjoying it again. I never had anything against the game, I just lost interest when I beat it. But I'll enjoy it as long as I can again then move on .. again.

Naikori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#94  Edited By Naikori

I played it on my PC for about a week a few months ago and I haven't thouched it since.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By creamclouds

I played it earlier, but I'm getting bored of it recently. playing more mass effect

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By cspiffo

I really want to get back into it again.  Newer games just keep drawing me away though.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#97  Edited By Sooperspy
    @ShalashaskaUK666:  Though Prototype and GTA4 are both really good , Prototype has no replay value whatsoever. Making GTA4 better to me
    Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Kokoro

I've borrowed it from someone once and played it then, but that's it. Since I just got my PS3 last month, I'll be buying this game sometime in the future and I'm sure I'll be playing it a lot then.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#100  Edited By TheGreatGuero

While driving past an oil refinery tonight, it made me think of GTAIV and want to play it again. You have that big refinery section in lower Alderney, and some have pipes with flames shooting out. I wanted to play just to see if those big flames would actually light me on fire and kill me. Guess what I'll be doing with a helicopter tomorrow  ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.