Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Grand Theft Auto Hype

paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Humor me:

Why are the GB crew so detached of the insane amount of hype for this game? They keep saying how no one talks about it, but for the last few weeks, I've been seeing ads and trailers EVERYWHERE.

Plus, my personal hype level is way higher than it was for GTA 4. anyone agrees?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yeah I really don't know what Jeff is on about. Unless he just doesnt watch TV (which he doesn't), visit gaming sites and forums or talks to anyone outside the industry who likes games then it is hard to avoid GTA V talk.

I've seen nothing but ads and giant billboards and ads on buildings and endless "gameplay has leakked!!1!!" threads on every game forum. All my friends are also talking about it....

Sept 17 can't get here soon enough.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There are no ads around where I live. And well I have no hype for this game. Nothing I really see sets is apart from the last GTA game. Maybe that is just me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I felt the same way. I guess that's part of the business, being busy with other games and all, but still surprising. I guess it's a good thing though.

I know I've been going crazy waiting for this.. really unbelievable it's already here. The last delay kind of flew by, I remember it seemed like it got delayed forever at the time.

It's going to be a huge game.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By spraynardtatum

@the_laughing_man said:

There are no ads around where I live. And well I have no hype for this game. Nothing I really see sets is apart from the last GTA game. Maybe that is just me.

Having 3 protagonists seems pretty different. Popping between characters changes the GTA formula a lot. Plus the map is enormous and it seems to be even more detailed than 4. I haven't actually played it though so who knows. Could be shit. I can't wait though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7 chaser324  Moderator

I think the GB crew's world view is increasingly just based on what other game media and industry types are talking about on Twitter. (Side Note: Anyone else bothered by the way Brad on a regular basis fails to grasp the concept of "Tailored Trends" on Twitter and mistakes them for being globally trending?)

Personally, my hype level is insanely high. It probably hasn't been this high since GTA IV.

TheFridgeGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By TheFridgeGC

I haven't been this hyped for a game since, well, Modern Warfare 2 I guess (boy that is sad). I really didn't think I could be this hyped for a GTA Game. I have liked the past ones but this one just seems insane that once I saw the online trailer, I pretty much went out and preordered it. I have been looking at threads and subscribed to a person on Youtube doing GTA5 analysis stuff, even when I know that is dumb, I did it anyway because of hype. I just can't wait.

Hearing Jeff say there isn't much hype was jarring but I think it may have something to do with his Twitter world like Chaser said.

HYPE!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the GB crew's world view is increasingly just based on what other game media and industry types are talking about on Twitter. (Side Note: Anyone else bothered by the way Brad on a regular basis fails to grasp the concept of "Tailored Trends" on Twitter and mistakes them for being globally trending?)

Personally, my hype level is insanely high. It probably hasn't been this high since GTA IV.

I've seen some hype on the forums and among my friends, but in terms of IRL advertising I think all I've seen is a sticker on a trash can (lol) and some tv commercials during Breaking Bad. No billboards, subway/bus stop ads, or anything.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@chaser324 said:

I've seen some hype on the forums and among my friends, but in terms of IRL advertising I think all I've seen is a sticker on a trash can (lol) and some tv commercials during Breaking Bad. No billboards, subway/bus stop ads, or anything.

Do you live in a major city?

If you don't, then you wouldn't, and is this different than any other game for you?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's as if they don't even look at their website's forum threads! Anyways, I've been more and more hyped for this game since they released the gameplay trailers and now with the leaked videos/images I'm just eating them up. I actually went and cancelled my preorder from the online retailer I usually buy games from because the shipping time is far too long compared to me just picking it up at the shops, even though they sell it almost $30 cheaper.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DystopiaX

@dystopiax said:

@chaser324 said:

Do you live in a major city?

If you don't, then you wouldn't, and is this different than any other game for you?

I'm currently in Boston. I remember several games getting quite a push, Borderlands 2 in particular was plastered on like every bus stop.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The crew has become a lot more detached from the enthusiasts who visit their site over the years. They seem to be living in a twitter sphere surrounded by other people who make their living from games without interacting too much with people who just love games. There used to be a real sense of community on this site that faded away in the last couple of years. Between the broken site (especially the forums) that never gets fixed or even Alex and Patrick's rant at people using Adblock (whether you use it or not, they went totally overboard), it increasingly seems that they are out of touch with their fans. I'm not blaming the bombcrew or the fans, things change, that's normal, it's just a shame.

I think everything really started going downhill after they join CBSI.

Oh and GTA V looks really cool and will be very polished, I'd say most gamers are pretty hyped :)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

Personally, I'm not at all hyped for GTAV, and I haven't heard anyone I know even mention the game. I guess I don't know the right people for that.

BUT I have seen a billion advertisements for it on local TV and billboards. It's on buses, at bus stops, and just on random signs throughout the city. It's pretty nuts. Their marketing campaign must be one of the biggest ever done, because it is everywhere.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm excited and I've actually heard some people in the office talk about maybe buying a console to play it. there are also gigantic billboards on several buildings - but then again I saw billboards advertising the game in January and thought they were out of their minds putting them up that early.

For me personally it's not that I'm expecting GTA V to do anything really revolutionary. I'm simply excited because it's a new GTA game. We've gotten 3 Killzones, 4 Gears of War, 5 Assassin Creeds - this is the second full fledged Grand Theft Auto to come out this generation.

Also coming from the group of people that really disliked GTA4 in it's entirety but still a big fan of the franchise, I'm nervously anxious to see if they moved back in a direction that I enjoy or did they continue forth supporting the separatist movement that claimed cars handling like boats on ice was like totally realistic and had like weight to it man.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nekroskop

From what I've seen it's pretty good

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By OfficeGamer

@humanity said:

For me personally it's not that I'm expecting GTA V to do anything really revolutionary.

It might be my hype and my love for Rockstar, but I really feel they've been slowly and persistently "revolutionizing" the aspects of open world games since forever.

I mean just looking at the V gameplay and reading about it, you can see how there was a real commendable evolution and innovation in all aspects of their games from GTA 3, through San Andreas and IV, RDR and Max Payne 3, and now V.

RDR's wild life, SA's massive single player map, MP3's tight shooting mechanics and smooth movement, it's all blending into this title, it's really looking fresh and "evolved."

Comparing the Rockstar progression to the other franchises you mentioned makes it stick out even more. Just look at how rehashed Assassin's Creed and Saints Row have become, they only add new features to the same old pot until it overflows. Rockstar on the other hand, replace the pot with a newer cleaner one first and then dump new mechanics inside it, if that makes any sense.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@officegamer: Sure! I agree with most of that (I thought Max Payne 3 was ultimately a pretty good game but the movement took a lot of getting used to) I'm just saying that I'm excited for it as a whole. Unlike Jeff and Brad who are really in love with flying in Saints Row 4 and can't even imagine driving a car anymore, I still very much enjoy driving in open world games. In fact even in SR4 I would get in a car and drive at times because the jumping around and super running was fun at first but then almost sucked the fun of traversal completely out of the game. It boiled down to me holding down forward and literally waiting impatiently until I get to the quest marker.

So yah, new map, new characters, new Rockstar story, new whips and bikes and oh boy I'm pretty excited.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just preordered the thing through the microsoft store and got free release day delivery and 1600 free points. I did this essentially feeling no hype for the game and never playing a GTA. I own Red Dead (one of the top games of this generation) and LA Noire so I'm hoping I'll get hyped once I start to play the game.

I have faith that it'll be a good game.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@golguin said:

I just preordered the thing through the microsoft store and got free release day delivery and 1600 free points. I did this essentially feeling no hype for the game and never playing a GTA. I own Red Dead (one of the top games of this generation) and LA Noire so I'm hoping I'll get hyped once I start to play the game.

Release date delivery, or release date shipping? Because just a few days ago, they had absolutely no delivery guarantees at all.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Release date delivery, or release date shipping? Because just a few days ago, they had absolutely no delivery guarantees at all.

It's release day delivery. I also checked it out a few days ago and there were 3 shipping options. Free shipping was 3-5 days. There was two day shipping and overnight as well. When I ordered it there was only one option. You can check it out right now at the microsoft store and there is a big exclusive arrow that says...

"Pre-order by 6PM on 9/15 and get it the day it's released. You'll also get 1600 Xbox Live points free*"

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

@golguin said:

haven't MS just done away with MS Points? They have here in Australia

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jsnyder82

I rarely watch TV (really only Sunday nights typically), but the few times that I have, I've seen ads for this game every single damn time.

Plus, it's all IGN has been talking about for the last few weeks. And seeing as how it's the most popular video game website around as far a web traffic goes, then yeah, I think there's quite a bit of an advertising push for this game.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of excited. Which is more than I have been able to say about any game released in quite a while. Do hope it's good. Or at least fun to play.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

haven't MS just done away with MS Points? They have here in Australia

They have gotten rid of them, but points that are put in are transformed into a money value. Points are still going to exist for about a year I think. There is some expiration date on the points and the points that were converted into money .

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GB crew is becoming increasingly isolated. I just heard on the podcast that they weren't hearing any hype for this, and i did like a doubletake its crazy. It's like they live in this little bubble. I don't really mind or care, it's just weird they comment on stuff they clearly don't know wtf is going on with.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: I don't know. I only really go to this site and Rock Paper Shotgun as far as gaming sites go, and follow a lot of writers and developers on twitter and haven't seen much of anything, so I can understand why they aren't a part of the hype. I also don't watch broadcast TV, and there has yet to be any adds for it on Twitch for me, so I didn't even realize it was coming out Tuesday until the leak thread. Then again I haven't been paying much attention because I have to wait for a PC release since I broke my TV.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Milkman

Working in games media will give you a pretty skewed view of this kind of stuff. It only makes sense.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raethen said:

@clonedzero: I don't know. I only really go to this site and Rock Paper Shotgun as far as gaming sites go, and follow a lot of writers and developers on twitter and haven't seen much of anything, so I can understand why they aren't a part of the hype. I also don't watch broadcast TV, and there has yet to be any adds for it on Twitch for me, so I didn't even realize it was coming out Tuesday until the leak thread. Then again I haven't been paying much attention because I have to wait for a PC release since I broke my TV.

Well thats not "theres no hype" thats "im completely ignorant of the hype"

Pretty huge difference.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raethen said:

Well thats not "theres no hype" thats "im completely ignorant of the hype"

Pretty huge difference.

Raethen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: That's true. I guess I didn't interpret their words as "There is absolutely no hype for GTA V" but as they hadn't seen any or been a part of any hype.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Working in games media will give you a pretty skewed view of this kind of stuff. It only makes sense.

That's a pretty lame excuse. Every other gaming media person on Twitter is going bonkers for it and they're the only ones that seem to think there's no hype, which is fucking absurd.

@raethen said:

People on Twitter have been incredibly hype for this game. What are you on about?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yep, I was kind of amazed when they said there had been no hype. Maybe it is juts because I am madly, crazily, foaming at the mouth hype but there seem to be a LOT of people getting all kinds of worked up about this game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By glots

No Ads over here either, but then again, I only watch telly maybe 4-5 hours a week nowadays. Watching trailers has been enough personal hype for me.

Don't know why I should get worked up over the fact, that the Crew hasn't felt much hype about it, because I'm pretty confident, that both their review and QL will be positive/topnotch entertainment.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have seen a ton of ads on TV. AMC and even during some football games (Rockstar certainly knows their audience: crime story enthusiasts and people who like to watch people get hit very hard).

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOOOOT its here. Now I just need to install it and then it is time to sink into GTAV XD

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

WOOOOT its here. Now I just need to install it and then it is time to sink into GTAV XD

Waiting for the post is maddening but the number of people online saying they're not getting it today has diminished my hopes :(

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Claude

I know at least six people at work getting GTA V. I'm getting it tonight at midnight at Gamestop. I even took a vacation day Wednesday for an extra day of playing. I'm super hyped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.