Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

How do you feel about GTAV?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

I recently started playing GTAV and would love to know how people here feel about it.

I played all of the main games in the series as they came out up until IV. When I did end up playing IV a few years after release I loved it. It was the first one where I finished the story.

I am really enjoying V so far. I forgot just how much fun I have driving around these cities, and the driving in this one seems like the most enjoyable so far. That's the best thing for me.

I just go the story point where Trevor is introduced so still need to see that through, and haven't gone online yet, but I can see this becoming my favourite in the series.

It seemed like people kind of cooled on it a little after it came out and I am interested why, because so far I love it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This came out originally almost two and a half years ago, huh. Time sure flies. I enjoyed it a whole lot on PS3 and bought it again for PS4 and PC, but never finished it the second time. My reason for not spending that much time with it (outside the story) was that I've just grown tired with mindless sanbox rampage. GTA Online I also didn't care for, unlike Rockstar, as they are seemingly releasing new content for that every other week.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

GTA V is tied with Sleeping Dogs for my favorite GTA type game ever. Saints Row 2 would likely be my third choice, although I still enjoy the later games in that series as well.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The heists never lived up to what I expected from them - totally my own fault I'm sure - but it was still enjoyable enough. I do like just driving around and seeing the world, following police cars around and seeing how completely incompetent the police AI is.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a very well made game, though it still lacked that extra bit of special sauce that made GTA:SA and GTA:VC so good. One thing that in hindsight is pretty amazing is they managed to write a 30 odd hour long single player game where not a single character in the whole cast (main, sub, extra you name it) isn't a complete asshole. There's nothing likable about any of the people in GTA:V yet I enjoyed the campaign quite a bit.

The multiplayer is fun for a bit if you have a large band of friends for silly shenanigans too but it's pretty short lived.

Ok I lied Lamaar is a likable character, he's still a piece of shit but he's a funny one.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel the longer I wait for it to go on sale the lower the sale price needs to be for me to pull the trigger. I should just go ahead next time it's 30 right? It's great from what I hear.

jigglemaster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Along with San Andreas, it's my favorite GTA. Maybe above SA even, given that I can actually finish it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think it's an excellent game, certainly a top-tier open world game. I played the shit out of it when I got it. My major complaint about the genre is the limited variety in mission design and that is where GTA5 impressed me most. Out of these types of games, GTA5 offers the most diverse set of missions. GTA5's biggest shortcoming is the writing. I sensed it while playing RDR and I definitely felt it in this game as well. They've lost some real talented writers 'cause the part where Rockstar shined, the sharp and funny writing this game is mostly missing. Whoever writes for the black characters is still on staff because those were still on point.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I wrote a rather comprehensive blog years back explaining why I can't say I cared for it especially highly.

ambulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there are a lot of little ui and tutorialization things about gta online that push me away. i didnt come here for the singleplayer so i cant comment in that regards.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked GTA5, i played it all the way through when it finally came out on PC, it's good but it doesn't do anything remarkable it's just another good GTA game, GTA4 has lots of cool weird things in it which stick in my memory which elevate that game for me, if i were to replay either 4 or 5 again though it would be 5 because 4 has GFWL and isn't well optimized for PC's.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the game I 100 percent it I also never uninstalled it on PC which is rare for me I always come back to it. I also waited two years for it to come out on PC I never played the console versions I can't tell you how hard it was to avoid spoilers for that long but for the most I was able to. I wish there was sp dlc for this game I really don't care about online.To me this game is already a classic I'm looking forward to playing this game in the future with Oculus Rift.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked gta 3, bought vice city but only played a little before getting bored. Skipped san andreas because the blacksplotation rubbed me the wrong way. Played 4 and got about 20% complete. Skipped 5 but may pick it up on sale this year for pc.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA:III is an excellent game and totally redefined what a 3D open world game could do. Vice City has the greatest licensed soundtrack in a video game and it's legitimately funny. Still has a huge following to this day. San Andreas had an insanely huge scope for its time and it's one of the only games I've played that's really felt like an adventure, or that I could do just about everything I wanted - because you kind of can. GTA:IV has really effective character development and it felt like an immersive experience whereas the other games were just goofy. Overall it felt like all of the GTA games up until V were honestly trying to do something new, and they all succeeded. It's kind of why GTA has always had a large fanbase - the games weren't just more of the same shit and it gave people something to be excited about, unlike other franchises that don't innovate (which is most of them).

GTA:V's main innovation is splitting the game up into 3 protagonists, none of which you end up caring about because they're all assholes and so are their friends. You don't spend enough time with any one character because the storyline keeps bouncing around. If you look at the protagonists of the rest of the GTA games, they're all heavily flawed, but they do have some positive characteristics to keep you invested in them. Even the side characters are worth caring about and it's sad when they backstab you (like Lance Vance and Big Smoke). The only half-interesting character in GTA:V is Lamar and nothing happens to him.

I've always been a huge fan of GTA but GTA:V just didn't do it for me in the way the other games did. The gameplay is more of the same, although the levels are a little bit more varied. Shooting and driving are too simplistic to feel satisfying. The heists didn't really have the pay-off that I expected them to. Maybe GTA:V is worth it just for the online mode alone but every single time I've tried to play it, it's just been people doing the same heists over and over and getting frustrated when anybody makes a mistake. Not fun.

Here's hoping that the next GTA game isn't set in modern America so they have to do something new again.

PlasmaDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked it up on a Steam sale a few days ago, I had zero interest in the game but remembering the glowing reviews it got I kinda felt like I had to play it. Got damn its well-polished game. It's beautiful, runs fantastically and is masterfully written. I don't know what it says about me but I can't help laughing at Trevors psychotic antics.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

GOTY the year it came out and still amazing. I really think they did such a great job with the updated version. First person offroading is simply amazing. My friend got an Xbox One and I got him it and he is obsessed with it (has hardly played games in like 20 years). It looks so pretty and is still a joy to play. By far the best GTA.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I bought GTA IV on PC a few years ago and never really cared for it then. It was OK, but the controls are pretty shit and I didn't really care that much about any of the characters.

...but I did wind up buying GTA V at launch and I spend thirty some odd hours playing it on PS3. I later bought it again on PC and have spent about the same amount of time playing it, though I haven't finished the PC version again. I played some of the PC multiplayer and I would have played a shitload more of it - if the game didn't take so much money away from you every time you die in the open world. My brother and I would load it up every night for a few weeks and just fuck around, driving around, shooting each other, doing dumb shit that often resulted in one or both of our avatar's deaths and we both felt like the game punished us way too much for that.

That's not the only problem I have with the game, but it's the one that stands out the most. I also think the controls are still kinda bad. I understand that Rockstar wanted these characters to move, look, and feel realistic, but that usually resulted in the game feeling clunky. It's not bad, really, but the gameplay is not the star of that game.

Otherwise, I do like that game a lot. I like driving around in that world, I like talking to its crazy inhabitants, I like some of the dumb stuff they put you up to, and I think it does an excellent job of giving meaning and context to the activities you do.

All of that said, I think Sleeping Dogs is a better game. The writing in Sleeping Dogs is much better, the controls are way better, it's great to see an open world game not set in some knock off version of an American city, and I just overall felt more satisfied with the time I spent playing Sleeping Dogs.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19  Edited By Nodima

It is the best playing game in the series, I love the driving and the gunplay, the lock on system is really refined and is honestly my favorite third person combat system. It's unbelievably gorgeous, I flirted with being a San Andreas photographer for a while after my first time through.

However, I've played the campaign through nearly four times over and what I noticed almost immediately on my second go around and just became more pronounced on the third and fourth was how loud and angry that game is. Like, almost none of the cutscenes are enjoyable and Michael and Trevor's conversations can be cringe inducing at times. It's also a real bummer how little they end up doing with Franklin. He's positioned as the eyes and ears through which the player is supposed to experience the story but in the process they forget to give him much a story for himself. That doubly sucks because the characters on his end are easily the best in the game and his special power is the only one I found myself constantly using.

What kept me coming back was the fun missions, I enjoyed the variety of things they had you do and how immersive and cinematic a lot of the set piece missions were. Plus, like I said before, I just enjoy the hell out of the way that game plays. I think they're going to have to draw from a different well for GTA VI, though, because this HD generation's more serious side hasn't produced as memorable characters or plots as the PS2 trilogy.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It controls like shit.

And unfortunately it doesn't matter how well made the rest of the game is, but if the core gameplay is trash because of how it handles, I just cannot gain any enjoyment out of it.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i liked it but i also spent most of the game wishing that there weren't three protagonists. it is a neat concept but i didn't think it was really executed well

also there a LOT of busy work in that game that just isn't really fun.

playing with first person tho was really enjoyable and I'm glad that was the version of the game that i saw through to the end

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

V got back to what was good about GTA. Didn't have the charm of VC or even SA but was a lot better than the shit-show that was IV.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played about... 90 minutes of GTA V, to the stage where it starts to open up and let you freely switch between characters, before I realised I just didnt want another GTA. Especially as I personally feel they are no longer the leaders of the genre (that honour would go to Sleeping Dogs for me).

Online has proven quite fun to dick around in with my friend though.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

It felt very bland and generic to me.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it tells a damn good story in a very well realized world. Their brand of humor has never been my cup of tea, I just really like crime stories.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By clagnaught

I have been feeling the Grand Theft Auto formula fatigue since Red Dead Redemption. I've played GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and GTA V, in that order. Even though there were decent gaps between all of those games over the past 10 or so years, I felt like I've played those games before.

So I didn't care for a lot of the random stuff like Franklin's tow truck missions. I still think helicopters control like crap. I was super bummed by how the shooting isn't that great and you have to rely on the auto-aim. (5 minutes into GTA V when I discovered the game had auto-aim, it sucked the excitement out of me)

But then, there are the times it changes the formula. And the heists. And swapping between three characters. And the entire production from the music, to writing, to cinematography, and details, etc. There are some very cool aspects to GTA V and I would overall call it a "good game". It doesn't have the same wow factor for me though.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By nightriff

A 5 star game that I complete forgot about after I played it and the only desire to return to it is when I build my new PC and see how it handles games.

I found parts of it amazing and then other parts very lacking. The whole bait and switch of you will be able to create the heists the way you want...to that never really coming to fruition really pissed me off. Also the 3 protag felt like it got in the way. I was always bummed to be forced to play as the crazy/hick guy (EDIT: Trevor, duh), he had the best missions but was the worst character in the game. 4 was a better game in every way and I would rather play that one, but in all reality I would rather play hundreds of different games (and most other Rockstar games) than those two any day.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a big fan of GTA 5. Unfortunately I never got into the online, I feel like if I was in high school when it came out and I still had a large group of friends on one console then it would have been a pretty great time.

I played it on both PS3 and PS4, it's been quite awhile since I last played but I only have two big criticisms that stand out to me even to this day. While I understand why the characters had their own unique vehicles I wish there was a better way to keep/keep track of the vehicles you steal/buy and customize to make your own. The other big one that really pissed me off was that they never fixed the glitch with the tow truck missions, which is the only thing I had left to do to get the 100%.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried getting into GTA, but never could until IV. That was the first one I stuck with, and I count it among my favorite games. I loved how much more subdued and serious it was compared to what I saw of previous games. It had a commitment to realism about it that really drew me in, and I liked that it was about an immigrant ex war vet that was motivated by conflicting goals of starting over in america and getting revenge on the man who had betrayed him and his fellow soldiers. That shit is way more interesting than stories about american career criminals who are kind of hard to sympathize with since all of their problems are self-made. From what I remember about Vice City, the protagonist had just gotten out of a long prison sentence for murdering lots of people and he goes right back into mobster life and people talk about cocaine for the next few hours. Yawn.

GTA V seems to be getting back to what people liked about the previous games more. It's more absurd, more action-packed, and consequently I lost interest about halfway through the story. It's an incredibly, incredibly funny game. The writing is sharp as a razor when it comes to satire, but there's just nothing compelling about the characters. I don't give a shit about any of them and I have no interest in seeing how their lives turn out. They're all shitty, shallow, boring people. Also I just find New York to be a far more interesting city than Los Angeles. Maybe I'll go back to it someday.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed my time with the game on realese, but I don`t think that it`s that great. The gameplay has some moments wher it shines (mostly in the heists), but for the most part it`s ok to bad. I did enjoy the story for the most part, but some parts of it rubbed me the wrong way and there was a large chunk near the end that felt like it could have been cut out. The thing I probably liked the msot about the game were some of the random open world event you could find and the ways they could affect other tings (like getting another recruit for a heist. To be fair though I am not a big GTA guy (the checkpoint system in 4 still makes be unrayionally angry when I think about it).

TL:DR I think that it is a fine game, but there are other similar games out there with both better gameplay and better story (*cough* sleeping dogs *cough cough*).

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good game, fun to play. Boring story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've liked GTA games in the past, but GTA V is the first one I ever really loved and I consider it one of my favorite games of all time.

I see a lot of backlash against it online and I really don't understand how anyone who likes GTA as a series could dislike this one. I thought it played great. I thought the characters and story were great. I loved the world. The visuals are fantastic. I even liked the multiplayer.

Outstanding fucking game.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game. I'm very heavily involved with heists, VIP Missions, and the new executive missions. I find the game to be very fun. Sure there are douchebags, but you get those with any game. If you find a core group of four to play with, and run heists with friends, this game is a blast. Like PayDay 2 but with more stuff to do and the cars. Ohhhhhhhh man i love the cars. I play on PC. Please feel free to add me, DrPoopsALot. I love helping people with missions to get money. As long as you are a decent person.

Also I have a ridiculous amount of money to help with whatever. lol

No Caption Provided

Shoeblazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a long time fan of every main GTA game who started with III, V has the gameplay itself polished to actually feel great, and Rockstar maintains their industry-leading ability to create a gorgeous open world that feels alive.

And yet, I think all of that polish serves to highlight that, at least in my personal view, Rockstar needs to drastically alter the tone of the writing. I think the over-the-top biting cynical humor, while of quality, has been done to death in this series especially. It's another factor in the dichotomy that makes these games feel so dissonant.

Personally, I'd love to see Rockstar make a GTA VI and take it seriously. I think a little more grit and a little less wackiness could go a long way in this series.

I realize that it's a fundamental part of the games they've made, but I think that the writing is the part that feels the most stale. Every other part of the game is already done so well, it's kind of the last piece of the puzzle.

Imagine a Grand Theft Auto game where they wanted you to feel something. I guess I'd like to see them try for the Oscar instead of busting the block.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ezekiel

I wish Rockstar designed their games more like Max Payne 3 and less like GTA V. The tone and humor were awkward and forced and it played mediocre.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You cant even go into the casino. FUCK GTA5.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I saw a mentally handicapped man play the game and he kept calling the characters "Chuck E Cheese" and "Mickey Mouse." He would congratulate them when they won a race and then the voices from the screen kept saying "FUCK YOU!"

...... that's how I view the game, I'm not joking about this.

RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I have played maybe five hour chunks every few months since its original release. Something about the sheer quality of the city makes me keep trying to get through it, but I probably never will. I never had a game turn me off based on its characters, but that combined with any interest in the plot or the super hand held mission structure, (particularly the more elaborate missions), I just have next to no pull to finish.

Its the only game I have ever tried and tried to get into, but I just get sick of it. Unfortunate, because there seems like a ton of content that potentially seems cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

GTA 5 made me realize how special GTA 4 is to me. I think 4 has a better story and overall vibe to it, but I'm fully willing to admit I was younger then and the game's quality in my eyes might be a time and place thing. GTA 4 felt like it could occasionally leave the snark behind and tell a story, GTA 5 on the other hand felt like it skimped on story to provide more vehicles for its snide commentary. I dunno, but to me, GTA 5 had the more joke-y missions, and in a game world where everyone is an irredeemable piece of shit you're supposed to kind of hate, that got grating over time.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really love GTA V overall, I just wish I had the time to play it more often. Especially online with my buddies. I still haven't finished the main story, but I've been very slowly going through it as much as I can while playing online with my friend sporadically.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Real quick

- All the character were reprehensible, but not always in a fun way. I wanted more Micheal story and to be honest I think they should have cut Trevor or Franklin from the story. With a focus on Michael and one other character it woudl have been more interesting with fuller stories. I actually like Franklin more than Trevor, so yeah I'd cut Trevor

- I wanted more interaction and story bits with Micheal's kids and Franklin's other friends.

- The missions were okay, but they needed more in game single player heists. More story missions with family member NPCs, more heists, and more NPC vignette stories.

- Okay,multiplayer makes money...but I hate it. I played about three days of it and was DONE; so why people play it is a mystery to me.

- It needs 3 large single player DLC drops. That is what I really want more single player story, and I wanted it a year ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.